Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,009 members, 7,817,976 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:55 AM

How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) - Agriculture (62) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) (169321 Views)

World's Largest Pig Farm In Kano / Mangu-Bokkos-Plateau: The Largest Mechanized Farm In Nigeria / How To Start And Grow A Profitable Plantain Flour Business In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) ... (68) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 6:02pm On Oct 16, 2022
#gogreen
#itpays
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 6:38pm On Oct 19, 2022
If you want to start your plantain farm,you need a good location and a good market
We have both on our plantain farm estate in ijebu-igbo
Want to own a plantain farm,call or send WhatsApp to 09031147593.
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:58am On Oct 20, 2022
I was recently sent the total distance I travelled for the month of September
The distance travel of 7,532km
Wow!
It's the same distance to be covered driving from Lagos to London,united kingdom for 120hours (equivalent to 5 days).

A whole week just moving from one farm estate to another!
But it is what it is

You can't have farm enterprise and not follow up with those on the field to make sure the right thing is being done; still coupled with poor network in some of these locations for smooth online communication.

Most new people investing in agriculture believe once you are done with land cultivation and planting,all other things will work out itself.

Capital No!

You have to follow up every step/process from the beginning to the end where you sell your produce.

If you have a small farm,you are safe.

If you have two farms in multiple locations, double stress and headache

If you have large farm estates in multiple locations like ours,then you have to be on your toes at all times.

Proper follow up on all of the farm operations,risk assessment and management are the essentials to succeed.

Don't leave your farm venture to workers on the farm with no following up and expect money to roll into your pocket at the end of the day.

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:47am On Oct 21, 2022
#doplantainitpays

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 12:32pm On Oct 26, 2022
Many years ago,a government agency involved in renting of land for prospective farmers around Ogun state approach me about leasing about 70 acres of land with sprinkler irrigation for dry season agriculture.
On getting to the land and mere siting the farmland,I know nothing good can come out of it...
Yes,at an attractive price but price does not matter when it comes to farmland lease or purchase if the fertility comes into questioning.

Many years after,I was passing through the same location and I was like let me even check this place again.
On getting there,I saw some farmers complaining bitterly about the land and the poor yield it's given them even after bringing in truckload of manure to replenish the soil

My second thought was,why can't a government agency incorporate regenerative agriculture into their operational system
Why must you allow farmers to cultivate only a particular crop year in year out until they runs out the fertility of the soil?
Anyways, fertility matters and will save you costs during the few years of cultivation.

That's why we make sure we incorporate sustainable soil fertility management on all of our farm estates farm operations so that you can enjoy the land for many decades to come

Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 11:34am On Oct 27, 2022
#a
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 5:52pm On Oct 28, 2022
In the word of my father "the cities of today were villages of yesteryears"

I was been told then how ikorodu, agege, mowe, were once thick forest nobody want to buy land there but now everybody wants to have a piece of it.

Unfortunately,it's too late.

Land is an asset to edge against inflation and create wealth.

Just about 5 years ago,we acquire about 4.04 million sqm of farmland in ogbomoso which we used to establish one of our farm estates.

After it was surveyed and secured,I paid a visit and I was like “God,how do we get here”

Thick bushes everywhere,you can hardly see the next person 2metres away.

But well this is cash generating assets that's expected not only to appreciate on value but to generate cashflow for us

So I thought

This is a cash generating assets.

Our farms will over the years keep generating cash for us while the land itself keep appreciating in value.

Many years ago,a potential client from Germany wanted to acquired large expanse of farmland to start a farm business but surprisingly said he is not longer interested in that particular location.

I asked him “why?”

He said “ the location is undeveloped and bushy”o

Recently,I did a drone video of the same location and sent to him

He was like “wow”

He was surprised by the changes that has taken place over few years ago and he wanted to key in but unfortunately the expanse of land is no longer available in that location at that price

If anybody tells you to come and buy farmland inside bush,don't hesitate.

It seems our rural side is developing faster than we thought possible as seen from all of our farm estate locations over the last few years

Apart from appreciation of our land,it is also yielding revenue for WaleAgro and all of our partners in the various locations.

First,you have your land appreciate in value and

Second,your land keep generating revenue for you till forever.

Agriculture is truly a double edged profitable sword.

This is the right time to plug in!!

Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 10:36am On Nov 01, 2022
Lessons 2022 farming season taught me.

In areas where there was no flooding,there were unequal distribution of rainfall duriing the growing -maturing stage of major staple crops resulting in crop failure.

The number 1 lesson is this, acquire your land early and cultivate early so that you can harvest early.

I remember paying a visit to a farming community and saw the farmers planting thinking the early heavy rainfall will continue till the end of the year.

I can't begin to imagine the effect of flooding that happens this year.

Politics and preparation towards 2023 general elections has taken a lot of the spotlight away from the damages and havoc wreck by flooding.
People will begin to know by next year when prices of staple foods starts to go up.

Someone even told me yesterday that the price of rice is heading towards N50k per bag,a bag that was around N30k previous months.

On my prediction,it might surpass that if government didnot do something about it.

Well,the lesson to the farmers is insure,insure and insure.
I can't begin to imagine the loss caused by the flooding.
Billions of naira would have been lost and only those that have insurance policy insure would recover

Grow what you eat;
Due to the flooding disaster,it is predicted that there will be massive hunger.
I fear for those with low purchasing power; even those with purchasing power will have much of their income going towards purchase of food.

Those of us that does backyard farming have no worries.
Just to harvest our tomatoes,rice �,yam etc, prepare and enjoy our meal.

Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 10:23am On Nov 03, 2022
#doplantainfarmingitpays
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by dejavubobo1(m): 11:01am On Nov 03, 2022
Lesgupnigeria:
Creativity and determination and persistence are what you need for success.
Hi Im also into a small backyard platain farm. I'd love to expand it. How do I go about land/space. Plz ur advice ll go a long way.
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:39am On Nov 04, 2022
dejavubobo1:

Hi Im also into a small backyard platain farm. I'd love to expand it. How do I go about land/space. Plz ur advice ll go a long way.
If you need farmland for plantain plantation,then you can get in touch WhatsApp +2349031147593
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by dejavubobo1(m): 3:40pm On Nov 04, 2022
Lesgupnigeria:

If you need farmland for plantain plantation,then you can get in touch WhatsApp +2349031147593
Tnx
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 11:29am On Nov 08, 2022
dejavubobo1:
Tnx
You are welcome
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:54am On Nov 09, 2022
If you can't fly...then run.

If you can't run...then walk.

If you can't walk,then crawl but whatever you do,you have to keep moving forward....

...Martin Luther king Jnr.

In this part of the world we put a lot of energy on talking but little on action.

More than a decade ago,I set out to start my farm business.i wanted to start with acquisition of 100 acres; 100 acres was a huge goal for me at the time and I thirst for it but unfortunately my financial muscle and my goal do not follow.

So I had to start with leasing 1 hectare somewhere in Ogun state.
I was discouraged and had the choice of abandoning my goal but I understand that I had to walk and worked with leased 1 hectare if I am going to have the opportunity of running with my 100 acres goal.

There is nothing as important as setting your goals and executing.

Executing takes you closer to achieving your goals

The greatest mistake you can make is to have a goal and not be motivated to work in achieving them

If you can't fly with it and you can't run with it,then crawl with it....make sure that no matter how little you progress, you are closer to your goal now than yesterday

Don't just have your goals on paper or in your head without taking actions to achieving it no matter the small steps you take.

The only way is forward ever.

Someone told me last month
"I want to own 500 acres farm"
I said "well,you can do it but where are you starting from this week"

Are you starting from owning few tens of acres first and then move to 100 or 500 or you are waiting for the perfect time?

The fact is perfect time is a mirage.
Keep going,Never stop working on your goals.

Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by bahgo2001: 9:57am On Nov 09, 2022
My five months old plantain farm at Epe Lagos

Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by bahgo2001: 10:09am On Nov 09, 2022
bahgo2001:
My five months old plantain farm at Epe Lagos

I'm worried I had an overpopulated plants
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 12:12pm On Nov 10, 2022
bahgo2001:

I'm worried I had an overpopulated plants
Provided the soil is fertile to take them,you shouldnot be that worried and as I can see from pic, they are doing well.
When you start harvesting them,you can start uprooting the daughter suckers to leave spacing between them
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 11:29am On Nov 12, 2022
Plantain farm is one of the farm business you should own in 2023.
It guaranteed sustainable cashflow for a long period of time
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:08am On Nov 13, 2022
#happysunday
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 10:33am On Nov 14, 2022
Never underestimate yourself.
Go for your dream by taking massive action towards them
#doagricitpays
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:36am On Nov 16, 2022
With all of thy getting,make sure you own a plantain farm.
It's an asset that will continue to give you revenue for decades to come
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:38am On Nov 17, 2022
#gogreen
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 10:09am On Nov 18, 2022
Want us to assist you to setup a plantain farm?

https://youtube.com/shorts/e4DlyKnr2lQ?feature=share
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:26am On Nov 21, 2022
You have interest in agriculture? right? Good
You also want to make millions from agribusiness? Right

But you don't have interest in having basic know-how about the agricbusiness,then you are a joke

Seek and thirst for knowledge always.

Last year,I registered for a agric training programme to upgrade.
It was expensive but that's the price to pay.
Getting life changing know-how will cost you and you must be willing to pay the price.

You need to have proper knowledge of the weather situation in the area,knowledge of price,history of the people around your location,knowledge of the soil in your location etc and the thing is that they differ from region to region.

As an agropreneur with farm business in many states of the country,I have come to discover that even the knowledge/strategy required for each location is totally different in each of the locations we operate in.

I remember telling my team when we first got to Ijebu to establish our farm estates to seek knowledge from the locals on the weather situation,what's mostly grown there, the people,the foods,etc

Unfortunately,we taught we could cultivate what we are used to in other regions without taking cognance of what's obtainable in Ijebu and we didnot meet our target for the first farm operations.

Knowledge is the gap between success and failure.

The more you learn,the higher your potential of earning.

Unfortunately, knowledge in agriculture is practical and dynamic (ever changing) so you need regular upgrade.

Some people are very smart here,they know little or nothing about agriculture but are intelligent to partner,collaborate with people who has the expertise and knowledge

Well,in anyway you get your knowledge,make sure you have knowledge as a leverage in any venture especially as it pertains to agricbusiness.

Go to where you can get it

It's one of the important leverage you need without which you might not reach your goal

Knowledge is the KEY.

THIRST for it

You can join any of our training programme in any of our farm estates in ijebu-igbo, ogbomoso,ilorin, apomu
Kindly DM
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:32am On Nov 22, 2022
Plantain farm has a huge potential in the sense that it can reproduce over and over again without recultivating the land and has a great value-added potential that can generate better revenue for you.
#investinplantain
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Nobody: 8:35pm On Nov 22, 2022
Lesgupnigeria:
Plantain farm has a huge potential in the sense that it can reproduce over and over again without recultivating the land and has a great value-added potential that can generate better revenue for you.
#investinplantain

Greetings sir. Pls how can one differentiate a banana tree from a plantain tree?
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:14am On Nov 23, 2022
Chenult:

Greetings sir. Pls how can one differentiate a banana tree from a plantain tree?
Banana has dark green stem while plantain has light green with brown stem.
That's how you can differentiate it physically

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Nobody: 2:45am On Nov 24, 2022
Lesgupnigeria:

Banana has dark green stem while plantain has light green with brown stem.
That's how you can differentiate it physically

Thanks.
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:24am On Nov 24, 2022
Chenult:

Thanks.
You are welcome
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:32am On Nov 25, 2022
#DoplantainItpays
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:29am On Nov 26, 2022
If I could roll back the hand of time to more than a decade ago that i started this farm business,one thing I would have love happen; creating mentorship programme for young people interested in agribusiness

If the very few ahead in the sector create mentorship opportunity for young people interested in agribusiness; maybe many things people learnt through trial by error wasting time and resources would have save them a lot

Now that we are a giant in the farming sector, I believe that the right time is now to build more young people into becoming giants solving lots of food insecurity challenges and creating prosperity in the process of doing so.

This we have done over the last few years and another opportunity is open again.

Six months intensive farm training and mentorship programme.

Successful applicants must be ready to live and stay on the farm.

Monthly stipends for successful applicants.

Feeding is free

Successful applicants must be ready to start his/her farm projects as soon as the 6 months is elapsed on the farm estate

After the duration of the six months training,lands,input,breeding livestock,soft loans are given to all trainees to commence their farm business on any of our farm estates.

If you are between 18-35 years of age, send your CV to info@waleagroservicesnigeria.com and yusuffgbenga@gmail.com
Re: How To Start A Profitable Plantain Farm In Nigeria (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:29am On Nov 29, 2022
One of the secret of success in plantain farming is early land preparation and planting.
If you plant early,you harvest early.
On our plantain farm estate,If you plant in late January,you are sure to harvest in November/December the same year.
You need land for cultivation or you want expert to help you setup,send DM
#doplantainitpays

(1) (2) (3) ... (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) ... (68) (Reply)

My Organic Poultry Project (broilers) / 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.