Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,362 members, 7,957,974 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 06:20 AM

The Word "Dear" Does It Mean Anything Special - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / The Word "Dear" Does It Mean Anything Special (63582 Views)

Is The Word "Dear" A Code For Green Light By Ladies? / Does Six Packs Abs Mean Anything To Naija Babes? / What Does It Mean To Be In An Open Relationship? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Word "Dear" Does It Mean Anything Special by yemipedro(m): 9:19pm On Dec 23, 2014
many times I've been chatting with a girl and suddenly I hear "goodnight dear".."sorry my dear".. how are you dear"... I want to ask (to the ladies) does this have a special meaning or do you say it to just anyone. (to the guys) do you use the word to address just any lady.

is it someone you like/love/ or have a crush on you say this to. I want peoples opinion on this
Re: The Word "Dear" Does It Mean Anything Special by blemon44(m): 9:21pm On Dec 23, 2014
IT DOES MY DEAR,IT DOES

1 Like

Re: The Word "Dear" Does It Mean Anything Special by dkronicle(m): 9:23pm On Dec 23, 2014
It sounds odd to my ear. Like one of those 18centuries words.
Re: The Word "Dear" Does It Mean Anything Special by aristocrazzy: 9:25pm On Dec 23, 2014
'Dear' can be used in so many ways.
It is used for greeting in both formal and informal letters.
Hope you haven't forgotten.
Re: The Word "Dear" Does It Mean Anything Special by zoeee(f): 9:27pm On Dec 23, 2014
that depends on the speaker

and

hearer...
Re: The Word "Dear" Does It Mean Anything Special by Princecalm(m): 9:27pm On Dec 23, 2014
"My dear" is now outdated in terms of romance it seems more like a casual word now.

1 Like

Re: The Word "Dear" Does It Mean Anything Special by yemipedro(m): 9:29pm On Dec 23, 2014
I guess some people do not attach a special meaning to it
Re: The Word "Dear" Does It Mean Anything Special by yemipedro(m): 9:38pm On Dec 23, 2014
aristocrazzy:
'Dear' can be used in so many ways.
It is used for greeting in both formal and informal letters.
Hope you haven't forgotten.

I understand emotios may not be attached in a formal speech or discussion but what of in an informal discussion between a male and a female
Re: The Word "Dear" Does It Mean Anything Special by Baddestguyp(m): 9:42pm On Dec 23, 2014
nothing special about it, in fact its more like a friendzone word...only exception is when you're already dating
Re: The Word "Dear" Does It Mean Anything Special by remsonik(f): 9:44pm On Dec 23, 2014
I use it for anybody and it isn't an emotional thing for me. I use it for my loved ones
Re: The Word "Dear" Does It Mean Anything Special by Kweenesther(f): 9:47pm On Dec 23, 2014
It doesnt my dear....sometimes it is said without feelings
Re: The Word "Dear" Does It Mean Anything Special by yemipedro(m): 9:48pm On Dec 23, 2014
Baddestguyp:
nothing special about it, in fact its more like a friendzone word

so people in dating relationships or intimate relationships do not use the word
Re: The Word "Dear" Does It Mean Anything Special by Baddestguyp(m): 9:50pm On Dec 23, 2014
yemipedro:

so people in dating relationships or intimate relationships do not use the word
if u are dating already, its okay but if u guys aren't...he/she's probably friendzoning you
Re: The Word "Dear" Does It Mean Anything Special by yemipedro(m): 9:58pm On Dec 23, 2014
Baddestguyp:
if u are dating already, its okay but if u guys aren't...he/she's probably friendzoning you

if as a guy, I saw a girl, walked up to her, we talked and exchanged BB pins or phone no, if I want to talk to her prolly within the first week of our meeting should I use "dear"
if not, which is then appropriate??
Re: The Word "Dear" Does It Mean Anything Special by Baddestguyp(m): 10:02pm On Dec 23, 2014
yemipedro:

if as a guy, I saw a girl, walked up to her, we talked and exchanged BB pins or phone no, if I want to talk to her prolly within the first week of our meeting should I use "dear"
if not, which is then appropriate??
must u use anything. u can call her by her name if necessary
Re: The Word "Dear" Does It Mean Anything Special by yemipedro(m): 10:07pm On Dec 23, 2014
zoeee:
that depends on the speaker

and

hearer...

what are the conditions...
because me I don't want to be deceived
Re: The Word "Dear" Does It Mean Anything Special by yemipedro(m): 10:08pm On Dec 23, 2014
Baddestguyp:
must u use anything. u can call her by her name if necessary

ohwkay
Re: The Word "Dear" Does It Mean Anything Special by BreezyRita(f): 10:09pm On Dec 23, 2014
I like 'dear'.
I think it means different things to differeg people. I know what the op means.
I use the word, on rare occasions though, to address friends.
Re: The Word "Dear" Does It Mean Anything Special by Nobody: 10:10pm On Dec 23, 2014
I used it only on rare occassions but wen i do,i mean it
Re: The Word "Dear" Does It Mean Anything Special by yemipedro(m): 10:13pm On Dec 23, 2014
BreezyRita:
I like 'dear'.
I think it means different things to differeg people. I know what the op means.
I use the word, on rare occasions though, to address friends.

okay..
Re: The Word "Dear" Does It Mean Anything Special by Janeify(f): 10:15pm On Dec 23, 2014
Dear means different things to different individual. I have forgotten about that word though because i hardly use it
Re: The Word "Dear" Does It Mean Anything Special by Nobody: 10:49pm On Dec 23, 2014
It's a casual word. It doesn't mean anything. I can use it to address anyone.
Re: The Word "Dear" Does It Mean Anything Special by Sanchez01: 11:10pm On Dec 23, 2014
It is special,partially. It is not special for someone like me because I use it for almost all my female friends and also younger siblings. I still believe it depends on who uses it though.
Re: The Word "Dear" Does It Mean Anything Special by Nobody: 6:24am On Dec 24, 2014
I use it for my bestie or for kids.
Dear(animal) is very calm and gentle. Maybe that has something to do with it, as in like how you say honey to someone special(cos honey is sweet)
But the "dear" people use in letter is different. I don't know what that could mean o
Re: The Word "Dear" Does It Mean Anything Special by zoeee(f): 10:31am On Dec 24, 2014
yemipedro:

what are the conditions...
because me I don't want to be deceived

try to understand the speaker's use of "dear", if its an endearment or one of her regular words or mannerism
Re: The Word "Dear" Does It Mean Anything Special by GIYAZZ(m): 10:35am On Dec 24, 2014
Lol, I think it's a "calming word. "

Meanwhile people! It's another season for Nairaland's So you think you can sing competition!! It's here again baby!!!!

Just hop in and record a voice note of you singing or rapping and have fun as Nairalanders rate you! Wow!! It's gonna be fun!!!

Even Seun recorded a voice note, you wanna hear him sing? Come on in!

www.nairaland.com/2059613/nairaland-think-sing-2014-season#29158507
Re: The Word "Dear" Does It Mean Anything Special by 1one: 11:02am On Dec 24, 2014
"Dear" is the singular, most annoyingly disgustingly distasteful word I know.... I hate that word like GEJ hates APC angry

Personally, I feel it's a very patronising word angry
Re: The Word "Dear" Does It Mean Anything Special by Omolola1(f): 11:04am On Dec 24, 2014
I swear it doesn't

Bosses even use it for their gateman undecided
Re: The Word "Dear" Does It Mean Anything Special by tunapa2009(m): 12:31pm On Dec 24, 2014
The word "DEAR" has really degenerated into a common word. It has lost its potency in our world today, because of the deceptive nature of human being(What they say is not necessarily what they meant)... Many times I use it for people that share common interests with me!!!
Re: The Word "Dear" Does It Mean Anything Special by dablazor: 11:24pm On Dec 25, 2014
not really..

1 Like

Re: The Word "Dear" Does It Mean Anything Special by Bleshh: 12:32am On Dec 26, 2014
grin

If i comment more dan ds, i swear Farano go ban me till next year Ileya Festival!!!

P.S: one dude commented above dah DEAR na animal? WTF??!!!

cheesy

Lemme noh talk sha...
Re: The Word "Dear" Does It Mean Anything Special by tpia0002: 7:11am On Dec 26, 2014
its just a formal way of speaking.

(1) (Reply)

Etinosa Vivian: My Sugar Daddy Took Me To Dubai & Spent Millions On Me / Dwarfs, Disabled: Wedding Photos Of People That Have Proven That Love Is Real / Curvy Grandma That Got People Talking (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.