Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,153 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:39 AM

About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* (33153 Views)

Write Your Shortest Flash Fiction. Not More Than 25 Words. / The White Mosquito Flash Fiction Challenge / Nairaland E-workshop For Writers---Comment Thread--Day1(Sept30) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by edozy: 9:04am On Dec 28, 2014
Hi folks. How do we submit our entries on the main web page? Should we type it out or should we put up a link or send our blog addresses? Will other writers be able to read my work and vice versa? Please let me know. By the way, to anyone that would like to read some fiction, go to edozy..com
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by Nobody: 9:39am On Dec 28, 2014
edozy:
Hi folks. How do we submit our entries on the main web page?
On the main thread,,,
Follow this link
https://www.nairaland.com/2060343/white-mosquito-flash-fiction-challenge
Should we type it out or should we put up a link or send our blog addresses?
Bros na... You would type it ni oo
Will other writers be able to read my work and vice versa?
Yes
Please let me know. By the way, to anyone that would like to read some fiction, go to edozy..com
Please, I will advise you to read the instruction @ the link I posted up there....
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by Rapmaestro(m): 10:00am On Dec 28, 2014
whitemosquito:
Na wa o. Judges to post for you? Did you bother to read the Submission guidelines at all? It is well o. Some kweshuns sef..e dey make me lose hope.

The Challenge thread will be opened tomorrow, 28th till the 10th of January, 2015. All entries should be posted there by the writers. Judges shall review entries and send their moderations to me. Okpari..
Before someone asks what the Challenge thread is..The one that made front page. Thats the one.
FYI, Was never interested, I was jes asking cause the rules and guidelines aren't completely listed(or so I thought). But Sorry for asking tho..
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by edozy: 8:19pm On Dec 28, 2014
Divepen:

On the main thread,,,
Follow this link
https://www.nairaland.com/2060343/white-mosquito-flash-fiction-challenge

Bros na... You would type it ni oo
Yes

Please, I will advise you to read the instruction @ the link I posted up there....

Divepen I advise you watch your tone when dealing with people. If you're one of the organisers of this competition, have it in mind that It's a N10000 carrot you're dangling in front of people. Most of us are trying to do it just for fun and u'll never get to see the stuff people are made of if u chase them off with a tone like that. If you had the patience to put this competition in place, have the patience to answer people's questions. If u're not one of the organisers. Abeg, no be u I ask question. Please kindly butt out
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by whitemosquito(f): 8:49pm On Dec 28, 2014
edozy:

Divepen I advise you watch your tone when dealing with people. If you're one of the organisers of this competition, have it in mind that It's a N10000 carrot you're dangling in front of people. Most of us are trying to do it just for fun and u'll never get to see the stuff people are made of if u chase them off with a tone like that. If you had the patience to put this competition in place, have the patience to answer people's questions. If u're not one of the organisers. Abeg, no be u I ask question. Please kindly butt out
Mister, I dont see anything wrong with Divepen's tone..Anyone with the right information or understanding can respond to questions. The truth of the matter is that if you indeed had the "patience" to read the guidelines, you wont be asking them..

I shall be waiting to see the "stuff you're made off."
Cheers.
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by Bhenehdikt(m): 9:07pm On Dec 28, 2014
whitemosquito:
Mister, I dont see anything wrong with Divepen's tone..Anyone with the right information or understanding can respond to questions. The truth of the matter is that if you indeed had the "patience" to read the guidelines, you wont be asking them..

I shall be waiting to see the "stuff you're made off."
Cheers.
hmmm..I smell challenges...but its ok,i like that
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by Nobody: 9:19pm On Dec 28, 2014
I think the time frame needs adjustments. Folks are waiting to read others' works before submitting theirs, so that they may know how best to hit back. I think if adequate awareness is made, you can then fix a date for submission. I wrote my own masterpiece the day I saw this thread, but not yet submitted. Attack and retreat is a philosophy in combat training; those who rely only on attack are the ilk that never returned from fiercest wars.
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by whitemosquito(f): 9:33pm On Dec 28, 2014
Lol. @Edozy, First of all, the fact that you're here shows that the "dangling carrots" worked...
Two, that's a wrong metaphoric usage. Don't let me get started with schooling you...Finally, "carrots" have a high nutritional value and are good for your health. Go figure.

@ Bhenedikt, that's the spirit I'm looking for...

@StealthIdeals, true to your moniker youre thinking combat and war tactics, Lol, but why would you want to wait for others before you put your best foot forward? Break the jinx, submit first.
You're the first to raise objections over the time frame,though.
What do others have to say?
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by anakadrian: 9:49pm On Dec 28, 2014
Funny enough, what StealthIdeals says about waiting for others to submit is true. I'm in his boat.
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by Bhenehdikt(m): 10:06pm On Dec 28, 2014
I neva start sef...Ideas aint coming yet
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by whitemosquito(f): 10:08pm On Dec 28, 2014
A whole you, anakadrian!! Writer extraordinaire?? Lol.

Ive already done as much publicity as I can. The thread has made frontpage. Has been posted on friendly sites and blogs. Has been shared amongst friends and followers, and their friends and followers.

I canna come and go and kill myself. Lol. If at the expiration of the deadline, only two writers have posted, in agreement with my judges, those two entries become default winners.
On the other hand, nairaland permits you to continue to modify posts till the thread is locked..As far as Im concerned, you really have nothing to lose.
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by Caracta(f): 10:10pm On Dec 28, 2014
Easy guys...

@whitemosquito, I'll send you a mail. We can find a way to address StealthIdeal's concern.
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by whitemosquito(f): 10:40pm On Dec 28, 2014
Caracta:

@whitemosquito, I'll send you a mail. We can find a way to address StealthIdeal's concern.
Aite.
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by anakadrian: 11:04pm On Dec 28, 2014
whitemosquito:
A whole you, anakadrian!! Writer extraordinaire?? Lol.

Ive already done as much publicity as I can. The thread has made frontpage. Has been posted on friendly sites and blogs. Has been shared amongst friends and followers, and their friends and followers.

I canna come and go and kill myself. Lol. If at the expiration of the deadline, only two writers have posted, in agreement with my judges, those two entries become default winners.
On the other hand, nairaland permits you to continue to modify posts till the thread is locked..As far as Im concerned, you really have nothing to lose.

hahahaha... Please oh abeg, i'm still a bloody learner.

Now what I actually meant was, yes I've written it... Saw the post on NS today and wrote the story today... But i'm hesitant to post it because you know, I don't want my ideas being used as "reference" if you know what I mean.
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by swifayo: 11:19pm On Dec 28, 2014
can I publicise dis on ma blog? hope its allowd .. @ swiffernews.com
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by whitemosquito(f): 11:21pm On Dec 28, 2014
Ok. Caracta's solved your debacle..

Entries should be sent to white.mosquito@yahoo.com, with monickers and titles attached.
E.g,
Title: The promise of Tomorrow by White mosquito
Please Word docs only o. If possible type onto yahoomail straight. Before some special children of God start sending jpeg formats.
At the expiration of the deadline, I will post them on the Challenge thread WITHOUT monickers attached. The moderations will continue from there.
Happy now?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by whitemosquito(f): 11:23pm On Dec 28, 2014
swifayo:
can I publicise dis on ma blog? hope its allowd .. @ swiffernews.com
Very allowed. Encouraged sef.
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by israelboy1(m): 11:25pm On Dec 28, 2014
whitemosquito:

Entries should be sent to white.mosquito@yahoo.com, with monickers and titles attached.
E.g,
Please Word docs only o. If possible type onto yahoomail straight. Before some special children of God start sending jpeg formats.
At the expiration of the deadline, I will post them on the Challenge thread WITHOUT monickers attached. The moderations will continue from there.
Happy now?

nice one
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by swifayo: 11:29pm On Dec 28, 2014
and do we choose topic ourself or dia is a general topic.... science student tho but let's give it a try, judges no too laf ma story ooo
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by theorbiters: 1:58am On Dec 29, 2014
Hi, nice concept miss whitemosquito. Kinda new here tho' and I don't write or I am still learning but I wud give this a try, in fact I have written it down already but the ish is the 400 words rule. Is there a way you can extend that rule, not just because of myself but at least to give the writers the freedom to use the most approving word they deem fit to paint that mental image they want to pass across. I also believe it would allow the writers have fun and pass that fun across. I know you wanna curtail the length of what is written but I appeal to your humble sense of logic to please look at my point. I will totally stand by your decision no matter the outcome. My humble self. And plsssss, dnt laff at my story, I haven't done this before shaa
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by anakadrian: 2:46am On Dec 29, 2014
whitemosquito:

E.g,
Happy now?

Great, sounds like a plan. Now there'll be no "borrowing" of ideas. I'm indifferent to the attachment of our monickers, though.
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by Nobody: 7:14am On Dec 29, 2014
edozy:

I am very sorry for the tone of my message...
I'm not part of the organisers. I just wanted to help, but I guess I was writing with a somewhat under-the-control anger, which later reflected in the post. I'm so sorry...
Happy New Year In Advance.

2 Likes

Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by Nobody: 7:19am On Dec 29, 2014
edozy:

I am very sorry for the tone of my message...
I'm not part of the organiser. I only wanted to help, but I guess I was writing with a somewhat under-the-control anger, which later reflected in the post. I'm so sorry...
Happy New Year In Advance.

1 Like

Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by whitemosquito(f): 7:37am On Dec 29, 2014
*double post error*
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by whitemosquito(f): 7:58am On Dec 29, 2014
Lol. Divey, he addressed his comment as "Hi folks", so any "folk" could respond.. Anyway, I 'preciate your humility, its one of the things I like about you. *smile*

@anakadrian, one of the purposes of the Challenge was to attract new talent to Nl, ppl like you...Since Challengers are not posting directly onto the site (thanks to you too), non nlers may decide to send entries too. Attaching monikers to the entry is just a way of ensuring that they are bonafide nlers...
So, its alright to be indifferent about it, as long as you do it..*wink* Bear in mind that the first stage of the moderations is to ensure adherence to rules..

@theorbiters, Im sorry but I cant adjust the word count. Its a flash fiction, not an essay. Its a way of separating the boys from the men. In other contests, its pegged at 250, sometimes 300. Sincerely, you owe it to my "humble sense of logic" that its 400.. Lol.

Happy writing!
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by theorbiters: 8:47am On Dec 29, 2014
whitemosquito:
Lol. Divey, he addressed his comment as "Hi folks", so any "folk" could respond.. Anyway, I 'preciate your humility, its one of the things I like about you. *smile*

@anakadrian, one of the purposes of the Challenge was to attract new talent to Nl, ppl like you...Since Challengers are not posting directly onto the site (thanks to you too), non nlers may decide to send entries too. Attaching monikers to the entry is just a way of ensuring that they are bonafide nlers...
So, its alright to be indifferent about it, as long as you do it..*wink* Bear in mind that the first stage of the moderations is to ensure adherence to rules..

@theorbiters, Im sorry but I cant adjust the word count. Its a flash fiction, not an essay. Its a way of separating the boys from the men. In other contests, its pegged at 250, sometimes 300. Sincerely, you owe it to my "humble sense of logic" that its 400.. Lol.

Happy writing!

Lolsss. Okay, lemme see wat I can come up with
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by Akposb(m): 8:56am On Dec 29, 2014
Been following this thread and I am interested. How do I submit entry.
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by Bhenehdikt(m): 8:57am On Dec 29, 2014
Some persons are talking tough here...my wands are shivering
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by whitemosquito(f): 9:19am On Dec 29, 2014
theorbiters:

Lolsss. Okay, lemme see wat I can come up with
Ehen. Thats the joie de vivre I want..
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by whitemosquito(f): 9:24am On Dec 29, 2014
Akposb:
Been following this thread and I am interested. How do I submit entry.
*frown* If truly you've been following this thread, oya answer your question yourself.
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by anakadrian: 10:28am On Dec 29, 2014
whitemosquito:

Happy writing!

Chai. Now this chic has done and made me feel guilty.

Alright let me just say this: I was only finicky about posting live on the challenge thread because, basically its a competition and it makes for a level playing field when entries are submitted in a way that will not give advantage to one contestant at another's expense.

If every participant could read the other's work, they could always glean ideas from, or counter the weaknesses of (structural, or otherwise) the previous posted entries, to buttress theirs; especially those participants who submit later on.

As well, a participant might him/herself go back to reread his entry, have a change mind and edit it over and over again. That's quite a chore. I don't know if its just me, but I have the problem of always revising my work before I finally submit. To now have the option to edit even after submitting, for me, would be pure torture.

Finally, I meant I was indifferent to your pasting the monickers with the articles when you do so on the challenge thread and lock it. I have no probs with the rules. I registered on nairaland yesterday solely 'cos of this.
Re: About Whitey's Flash Fiction Challenge *comment Thread* by whitemosquito(f): 12:12pm On Dec 29, 2014
@anakadrian, Correct me if Im wrong, but wasn't the Minority contest done the same way? A month was given, entries were posted onto the site directly by participants..with a window period(two or three days) to edit before it makes home page.. We were all able to read each other's work..for me it worked the opposite way in that, instead of copying others, I knew what to avoid and present an original and unique piece..both in terms of minority tribe and theme(comic, humour etc).. Personally, I had some issues with the moderations viz Why would works on the same tribe be shortlisted? By two different authors? Or even themes? Most of the shortlists had to do with marriage and its ceremonies or the Akwa Ibom traditions. I felt it wasnt well rounded presentation of entries submitted.
Which was why I just laughed when ppl complained that their work will be stolen. Left to me, any two works that bear similarities in plot or storyline, even syntax will attract my closer attention, the work submitted last will be disqualified. Trust me, a plagiarised piece will not escape my scrutiny.

My initial idea would have worked, Anak, if we all had the patience to wait it out and see it through..Bad as e bad, y'all would simply have waited till the last day, or last two days to submit, to avoid plagiarism.
This new way is doable, yea, though more stressful for me..but hey, like somebody pointed out, If Ive had the patience to organise this, I should have the patience to endure the gruelling, mind boggling, finger paining and mb wasting method of hand-grinding pepper..instead of using a blender.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Love, No Inhibitions / Faceless By Amma Darko / Circle Of Three.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.