Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,144 members, 7,815,009 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:33 AM

Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? (29303 Views)

5 Things To Avoid When Evangelizing/sharing The Gospel / First Step Of Rebuilding The 3rd Temple after 2,000 years / The First Britsh Slave Ship To Reach The Americas Was Called The Good Jesus! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:07am On Dec 28, 2014
Bolt3:
The problem is that your blaming God for mans error. God has already instructed us to spread the gospel around the world. Yet there are places on earth till this day that hasn't heard the gospel like China. Now ask yourself is it God that is stopping you from going to China to preach the gospel? This is why God is very angry when we don't preach the gospel because there are potential Christians lost everyday just because of our Laziness. Left to God everyone would be a Christian but he doesn't like to intefer.

But there are some group of persons that own private jet for evangelism.

I think they have to do that or is it not evangelism

1 Like

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by iamord(m): 6:10am On Dec 28, 2014
malvisguy212:
T he first book of the Bible, Genesis, says that God chose Abraham to make into a great nation. The descendants of Abraham, the Jews, would establish the nation of Israel to become a people of God's own possession.God has chosen the Jew to reach out to the world.The bible is full of foreshadowing, an event that happen but God use it to show us what he will do in the future.hosea was a old testament prophet,in that book of hosea the children of isreal always disobey God,and God say he will scatters them and on the third day he will revive them and isreal shall live in my sight. This is a foreshadowing of how God is about to scatter isreal and reach out to the new testament church.

In acts 1:6-8
6 Then they gathered around him and
asked him, “Lord, are you at this time
going to restore the kingdom to Israel?”
7 He said to them: “It is not for you to
know the times or dates the Father has
set by his own authority. 8 But you will
receive power when the Holy Spirit
comes on you; and you will be my
witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea
and Samaria, and to the ends of the
EARTH.”

God scatter isreal, for 1900 there is no nation of isreal, the scattered isreal became a nation in 1948,why? The gospel has been preach and isreal are about to live in the sight of God (the saints) now that you have hared the gospel, you have no excuse.
your explanation does not correlate with the said question.. So my fore fathers were all thrown into hell for thousands of years .until it was deemed right to come and open us to the light

5 Likes

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by Vikky014(f): 6:11am On Dec 28, 2014
ObiChiz08:
OMG! I woke ts morning wt great xpectation, picked up ♍Ɣ phone, visited nairaland.com & †нε 1st topic on FP is ts. Damn it! Ɣ ts early sunday morning? All ts atheist & wanna-be atheists, can't ΰ guys mind ur business by focusing on being †нε best atheist of ts century instead u guys keep on wt blasphemy against Christianity as though it's †нε fault of Christianity dah u guys are atheists.
Just so annoying
lol mydear happy sunday.jst imagine oooo.by her logic d gospel came 14 yrs ago in obodo 9JA
Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:13am On Dec 28, 2014
frakdon:
can yu imagine, they keep blaming Christianity for their failed minds.....

It's just so annoying, for †нε fact that they didn't see †нε light in Christianity doesn't mean others are not seeing †нε light.
Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by miqos02(m): 6:15am On Dec 28, 2014
ROSSIKE:

Please tell me you're smarter than this stuff you typed.
did we fared better before christianity? because i dont think anyone is forced to accept it

1 Like

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:16am On Dec 28, 2014
Religion is manmade to control human mind oblivious to the mass gullible....what do I mean! Religion is a type of limousine that contains many people headed to a direction where you never going!!!! Read It yourself instead of asking atheist like me why?

2 Likes

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by InvertedHammer: 6:19am On Dec 28, 2014
ROSSIKE:
If 'Jesus, the son of God' came to this earth and was born in the middle east in 1 AD, how come it took 2,000 years before this message from ''the son of god'' reached us in Nigeria? And then only when Europeans needed slaves and lands to colonize and loot for raw materials necessary to power their industrial revolution? Are you saying God did not deem it necessary to inform all those millions of Africans that would have lived from 1 AD to 1850 of the glorious kingdom of his son until Europeans decided just a couple hundred years ago they needed to raid Africa and loot resources? Did 'God' really 'postpone' the Nigerian introduction to his 'truth' until such a time as the Europeans needed to conquer and loot our lands, a full 2,000 years down the line, and why?

The ways of this imported 'God' are indeed strange!!
/
The early christians had no budgetary allocation for their marketing departments. The little tax (tithe) they collected
could only go so long. They only relied on word of mouth. Hence, it took forever for their services to get to the customers--the ever-gullible and fanatical Africans.

\

4 Likes

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by Turbocharged: 6:20am On Dec 28, 2014
ROSSIKE:
If 'Jesus, the son of God' came to this earth and was born in the middle east in 1 AD, how come it took 2,000 years before this message from ''the son of god'' reached us in Nigeria? And then only when Europeans needed slaves and lands to colonize and loot for raw materials necessary to power their industrial revolution? Are you saying God did not deem it necessary to inform all those millions of Africans that would have lived from 1 AD to 1850 of the glorious kingdom of his son until Europeans decided just a couple hundred years ago they needed to raid Africa and loot resources? Did 'God' really 'postpone' the Nigerian introduction to his 'truth' until such a time as the Europeans needed to conquer and loot our lands, a full 2,000 years down the line, and why?

Why has is taken Nigeria more 2000 years to develop?
Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by miqos02(m): 6:20am On Dec 28, 2014
Ranchhoddas:
@rossike...you seem to believe in a creator,why is that?
whats your point sir? becos all religions (including traditionalists) believe there is a creator

1 Like

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by ramalot(m): 6:22am On Dec 28, 2014
tpia0002:
was there a Nigeria 2000 years ago?

No, but there were the people who eventually constituted Nigeria, right?

Or where they manufactured by the colonial masters in laboratories?

5 Likes

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by iamord(m): 6:22am On Dec 28, 2014
shdemidemi:

Do you even know what being a Christian means?

Your over zealousness have suddenly becloud your bible reasoning. You have suddenly become a god to yourself judging scriptures by what your limited 'brain' adduce to be right or wrong. Frosbel's brain have suddenly become the benchmark for God's character and mindset hence if it does not add up to Frosbel it isn't true and it is invariably summed up as evil by him. Frosbel's logical reasoning is become his god since God's word can't cut it for him.

u don't need this! Just answer the question

3 Likes

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by astronautog(m): 6:23am On Dec 28, 2014
SEUN SEUN SEUN!!! Y do u always attack christians??every sunday I see a topic on fp trying to damn d bible.I know u aint a christian and u guys have taken this too far!!is christianity the only religion on nairaland??is it because we are peace loving people??can u guys insult islam like thiscan u guys dear mock mohammed or d quran?pls use ur brains!!

2 Likes

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by ramalot(m): 6:25am On Dec 28, 2014
smiley

1 Like

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by iamord(m): 6:26am On Dec 28, 2014
cecegorz:

Oh dear.
I just saw the thread you created on your journey to endless search of the church history.
The truth is that the end of your search will create more doubts and even backslideness if you insist on that quest.
This was why Paul warned the Colossians to beware of the philosophers of this world, follow their writings and your faith goes out the window in no time.
The Just shall live by faith! Either this or you go down to sense ruled philosopher who believes in one God for all the religions.
Believe me, those new 'discoveries' are enticing for someone with a probing mind, that was how Grail message nearly led me astray before I found Christ.
Don't wait till you get to the point of no return brother!
summary; be careful of reasoning
Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by tete7000(m): 6:26am On Dec 28, 2014
frosbel:

What is truth ?

Btw - I am open to all answers, I am not narrow minded like many Nigerian believers .

This same question has once been asked by Pilate. "What is truth?, Pilate asked(John 18:38)" unfortunately, the question has already been answered when Jesus said 'I am the way, the truth and life. No one comes to the Father except through me"- (John 14:6).

The basic attribute of truth is its infallibility. It changes neither with time or with space and this is what Jesus intended to make clear when he said 'I am the alpha and omega, the beginning and the end; the one who was, who is and who is to come. He changes not. He has been with the Father before the world was made, it is through him all that was made was made and he sustain all by his power. He remain the same yesterday, today and forever. He is the eternal truth.
Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by iamord(m): 6:27am On Dec 28, 2014
correctguy0900:
d most important tin is dat, u v gotten d message
summary: forget about what ever happened in the past, cos I don't have an answer to that
Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by richjohn1(m): 6:29am On Dec 28, 2014
Vikky014:
lol mydear happy sunday.jst imagine oooo.by her logic d gospel came 14 yrs ago in obodo 9JA
I guess the word "approximation" is new to you
Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by musawal(m): 6:30am On Dec 28, 2014
A good poser for the educated minds. its just disheartening how Africans (Nigerians) use their education in selective reasoning and crass dogmatism.
Most responders are avoiding the very obvious questions: 1.why did christianity came to Africa at such a late period? (18th century AD)?
2.Why did it have to be when the whites needed slaves to power their industrialization that they came with this religeon?
3. Why is christianity not as entrenched in the middle east where it originated from as it is in Africa?
4. Why was the bible not brought to us directly in the language originally spoken by Jesus, to avoid the so many irregularities contained there-in: such as the real birthday of Jesus Christ; the different stories of the cross; the mysteries surrounding the death of Christ and His last days; too many to mention all.

4 Likes

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by iamord(m): 6:30am On Dec 28, 2014
ROSSIKE:

Through research and study. Do you know that as earth humans we only see around 1% of what is around us? We can only see that tiny bit of matter which reflects llght. But 99% of matter in the universe does not reflect light, so we can't (ordinarily) see it. [b]There are many realms of existence.[\b]
beautiful! I have know about that for a while..

2 Likes

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by iamord(m): 6:32am On Dec 28, 2014
Skimpledawg:
Just here to read comments! Dz 1 strong pass me
wise guy!! This is what a lot of the people on here should have said!

3 Likes

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by astronautog(m): 6:33am On Dec 28, 2014
ramalot:

STFU

Islam, muslims and mohammed (AKA pedophile in chief) gets verbally abused all day on Nairaland (mainly by christians) so WTF are you complaining about?
how often do u see topics questioning islam on fpeh ogaso wtf r u saying?
Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by Funjosh(m): 6:36am On Dec 28, 2014
These people enh lipsrsealed
Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by chrissy3(m): 6:44am On Dec 28, 2014
tpia003:

was there a Nigeria during the time frame you have in mind?
was any nation in existence 2000yrs ago that still has it identity till today ? You sef reason am.I believe God exist but as men and by nature curiosity makes us ask question plus its in the Bible seek and you shall find.For me in as much as I'm a Christian ,I've got many questions to ask cuz I see things that don't add up. I want to make more research cause maybe I've not gained complete understanding I dnt knw but in truth if you ask me something is not right in the bible.
Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:45am On Dec 28, 2014
datguru:
Dear nairalanders, fear God!

God is not the private property of christians.

We fear God but we spit @ christianity. U sabi me?

2 Likes

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by Vikky014(f): 6:45am On Dec 28, 2014
richjohn1:

I guess the word "approximation" is new to you
lol.lemme helep you to approximate more.Y did it take 2014 years for the gospel of christ to reach Africa

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by LieDetector(m): 6:46am On Dec 28, 2014
lepasharon:
This is actually a good question undecided...one of MANY questions........
you an atheist?
Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:48am On Dec 28, 2014
@Frosbel, having tasted of the truth, you get confused into believing a lie.

@OP. They were called Christians first in Antioch-because they were followers of Christ. Before Jesus Christ came, people served God!

Again, before any law-Moses's law and co, people served God. So much the more that it is recorded that Enouch was so pure in heart that he didn't taste death.

A lot of people serve God even without organized religion, Christianity only tries to increase that reach.

BTW, Christianity is not a religion but a way of life and being tagged a 'christian' doesn't mean you're serving God, you could be serving your church, pastor/priest, holywater, rosary or something else.

About your Ancestors and others in Africa, you can not prove that they ALL worship idols after all, idols themselves were imported too.

I think we should ask ourselves why Nigeria is still in stone age wrt developments 2000years after...
Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:51am On Dec 28, 2014
chrissy3:
was any nation in existence 2000yrs ago that still has it identity till today ? You sef reason am.I believe God exist but as men and by nature curiosity makes us ask question plus its in the Bible seek and you shall find.For me in as much as I'm a Christian ,I've got many questions to ask cuz I see things that don't add up. I want to make more research cause maybe I've not gained complete understanding I dnt knw but in truth if you ask me something is not right in the bible.

Yea, a lot of things don't add up to you and to all of us doesn't mean they have no answers, they may not have been revealed. Deuteronomy 29:29
Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:52am On Dec 28, 2014
ROSSIKE:
If 'Jesus, the son of God' came to this earth and was born in the middle east in 1 AD, how come it took 2,000 years before this message from ''the son of god'' reached us in Nigeria? And then only when Europeans needed slaves and lands to colonize and loot for raw materials necessary to power their industrial revolution? Are you saying God did not deem it necessary to inform all those millions of Africans that would have lived from 1 AD to 1850 of the glorious kingdom of his son until Europeans decided just a couple hundred years ago they needed to raid Africa and loot resources? Did 'God' really 'postpone' the Nigerian introduction to his 'truth' ...?

Probably for fear of the locals. Before the invention of the gun, few ventured into the African jungle and lived to tell the tale.

It also saved us from a terrible church period when the church persecuted her own.

Lastly, our people knew God, somehow.
Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:53am On Dec 28, 2014
[quote
author=ROSSIKE post=29226018]

Yes, Really. That a few Portuguese christians came here before then and
converted a couple of 'natives' doesn't mean christianity arrived in the
15th or 16th century. And assuming you want to claim it did, why did it
take the Creator of the Universe 1,600 years to get his 'good news of
his only begotten son who died for our sins' over to us from the middle
east, which takes us 5 hours to reach today with (comparatively)
primitive human technology? [/quote]
Why is it that its taking taking smaller amount of time to relay ur thoughts now through Nairaland than its taken you before the internet was discovered ?
Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by iamord(m): 6:53am On Dec 28, 2014
ektbear:
I think I brought up a similar question with my parents when I was around 8 years old.

Basically, I was concerned about the fate of my ancestors: if Christianity is a prerequisite for reaching heaven, then there is no way my pagan ancestors could have possibly made heaven. Which to me at the time seemed unjust and unfair, since they had no exposure to the religion.

So either:
1) God is unjust, and sent almost all West Africans, Southern Africans, Indians, Chinese, and Native Americans to hell before about 1500 AD or so.
2) or God judges people who've never been exposed to his Word by a different standard than those he uses for people who have been exposed. In other words, our pagan ancestors still could have made heaven despite not being Christians.

I'm inclined to believe #2.

Though of course both options above assume that you believe in the existence of the Abrahamic God, which not everyone does.
thumbs up and beautiful write up! You are honest and reasonable. And I will say the same.

2 Likes

Re: Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? by chrissy3(m): 6:59am On Dec 28, 2014
My greatest question no one has been able to give me concrete answer to and I pray the creator answers me. It goes like this " If God knows the end from the beginning,he knows you before you were born,he knows everything then he definitely knows before you were the kind of life you would live on earth right ? Now cause he knows everything which means he knows if you would be good or evil and you would die as one of them,why punish someone you created knowing fully well the person would be evil ? God can as well save the person from hell by not creating the person knowing fully well the person would end in hell.I know people would answer and say its a choice thing but if choice comes into the equation, it means God doesn't know everything cause choice is when you have to choose btw options and if God knows the option you would choose, then you seize to have a choice.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

My Experience With Fake Bishop Oyedepo On Facebook(snapshots) / Obituary Of Reverend Father Cyriacus Onunkwo, To Be Buried With His Father / Chris Okotie To Stephanie (Ex-Wife): “You Are Like Jezebel!”

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.