Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,101 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:56 AM

What Next After A 3rd Class From University? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Next After A 3rd Class From University? (32020 Views)

How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? / Post Graduate In Geology Department For A 3rd Class Grad, University Of Ibadan / When Did You Know You'd Be Bagging A 3rd Class (or Pass) ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Next After A 3rd Class From University? by aieromon(m): 3:09pm On Feb 22, 2009
basic truth - majority of the 3rders in Naija were unserious people who didn't dig the rigors of the tertiary institutions.if you grow through their SSCE certificate,you will discover that they were average students in secondary school.it is only when they realise the discrimination placed on this degree by the Nigerian system that they TRY to turn their destiny for the better by re-packaging themselves.most times often than not,they fail and settle for what comes with the hopeless degree.

punchline - if other degree holders i.e 1sters and 2nders can have positive thinking of creating wealth like the 3rders,Nigeria will be one of the wealthiest countries in terms of human resources and management.
Re: What Next After A 3rd Class From University? by stockwise: 3:44pm On Feb 22, 2009
well,these days that employment is rare to come -by.3rd class product should look within.i think it rather unfortunate that most NL are being one-sided abt it.university education isnt synonmous with seeking for job-this is the bane of our educational system,preparing pple to come and seek jobs .if we check biographies of most outstanding men/women.we will discovered that most of them were "dunce" academically.so bro dont be down with your result but see it that as a challenge that u can make it outside school smiley
Re: What Next After A 3rd Class From University? by Olayinkaoj(m): 5:12pm On Feb 22, 2009
O.A.U 3rd class standard is not caused out of unseriousness , dont crucify me for this simple statemnt pls
Re: What Next After A 3rd Class From University? by Wallie(m): 6:07pm On Feb 22, 2009
I assume a 3rd class is very bad…what’s that on a 4.0 or 5.0 scale?

There are a few ways around it.

Get a job: the first job is usually the hardest because after years of experience, most employers will not ask you how well you did in school.
Back to school: you might have to do prep work to get accepted.
Start a business: your success or failure totally depends on YOU.

Give up: as long as you’re breathing and in good health, this shouldn’t be an option. Even when you get a thousand doors slammed in your face; your luck might be walking through the 1001th door.

In life there are no guaranties. Just because you get a first class doesn’t mean you’re going to be successful in life…you could just end up living a mediocre life. All schooling does is increasing your chance of success.

The most important thing in life is to do your best in whatever you do.

1 Like

Re: What Next After A 3rd Class From University? by mayordee(m): 6:50pm On Feb 22, 2009
@ Poster, my own advise is just to believe in yourself,we all have our own talent,try and discover your own talent and build on it,for God sake,i know so many dudes with 3rd class and are doing very fine today,one of my very good friend came out with 3rd class,what he did was that he went for his PGD and then masters,had a merit in his Msc here in the UK, recently he went for Graduate job interview, he was nervous before the interview because of the 3rd class thingy but who cares about that here?they want to see what you can bring to the firm and not the paper u are carrying, he got the job that some first class students are dreaming of, believe in yourself and never look down on yourself, all the best
Re: What Next After A 3rd Class From University? by Eyohimself(m): 6:53pm On Feb 22, 2009
On a serious note, why would someone get a third class degree? I guess on a scale of 5.00, you had below 2.4.

Honestly, that's ridiculous. Why even go to college then? Success in life is not all about degrees. I am only forced
to say here that if you had a third class in college, probably academically, you were organizationally incompetent.

This doesn't mean in life you will be a loser. But dude, check out those years in life you wasted. I've realized success
of the self-agonizing and third class supporting graduates is tied to financial success. If so, can't I rightly say you
lost on the first battle? You were trying to get this college degree so as to get a start in your career but you couldn't.

Man, irrespective of the class of your degree, you can make something out of your life. But the whining should stop. And no need to
reference some very talented peeps like Okocha, Bill Gates, Michael Jackson, R.Kelly, etc.

Can you be as creative as these peeps are in their respective fields?
Can you dribble Roberto Carlos the way Okocha does at times?
Can you sing so melodiously to make the club go crazy and all the girls go "Psycho" as R. Kelly does?
Can you perform as tremendous as Michael Jackson did in his career when he was in his prime?

I bet you probably, can't. So guys, give me a break. You are talking about guys who are best in their field using their non-academic talents.

How about those who are highly successful individual in their fields using their academic talents and abilities?

There are a whole bunch of PhD holders too who are kicking it high in the financial area. People like Irwin Jacobs (co-founder
of QualComm), Ronald Rivest (the inventor of RSA crytographic protocol), Andrea Goldsmith (founder of Quantenna Communications),etc.

Why don't you mention them to encourage some peeps to also do well academically? Please stop the ignorant talk here.

If you have a third class, look for a way to better yourself and in the first place, there are a bunch of ways to make millions without
a college degree inasmuch as you relate success to having multi-millions in your financial accounts. But don't encourage those coming
after you, your younger ones who have decided "I need a college degree", to see third class as being an "ok" thing.
Re: What Next After A 3rd Class From University? by seyibrown(f): 6:59pm On Feb 22, 2009
Don't give up! There is always the opportunity to better yourself!

Can you defend what you've got, be it 1st or 3rd class? Can you perform better than what your certificate says?

If you feel your 3rd class degree does not reflect your true capabilities, go back to school! Give it another try, maybe part-time or online with another course!
Re: What Next After A 3rd Class From University? by dipo2much(m): 7:28pm On Feb 22, 2009
Face it. A 3rd class is a VERY bad thing. I am about to live school with a 2-2 and I wish I could go back and right my wrongs. The only good thing about my 2-2 is that its from UNAAB-Abeokut where I study computer science and if you know unaab you'll know how hard we study there to even get 40's over 100s.

So back to the topic,if u have a 3rd class cert,then listen to MTN: GO START SOMETHING (as in your own business) Or if you really wanna get a job then go do masters.

Me wey get 2-2 sef,na masters and pofessional exams my eyes dey.
Re: What Next After A 3rd Class From University? by flynx: 11:45pm On Feb 22, 2009
guy!

you had better be a job creator than a seeker.
cos u go seek tire!
Re: What Next After A 3rd Class From University? by JUNE09: 12:25am On Feb 23, 2009
I also came out with a third, not because i was an olodo, but b/cos some lecturers saw me as arrogant and as someone who could never kiss asses.

I thot i was doing real good , doing my exams, passing some, carrying over few , (but never settling), by the time i got to 4th year, these same lecturers witch haunted me.

Some with intergrity (courses with the high failure rates) even gave me A grade passes, but the damage had been done already.My results in 1st and 2nd year were missing and could not be found  - dat was the story

In final year, i was actually compelled by these same people, (some academic and some non academic) to settle  $$$$  to look for the results, but it was too late. I acceped a third, instead of an extra year

The irony was that the most senior lecturer in the faculty (a prof) supervised my final project and scored me an A, amongst other students. Dat was the only A in my department for that set. Even though I made a third, I am still proud of my final year project scores and also my research skills.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Next After A 3rd Class From University? by JUNE09: 12:46am On Feb 23, 2009
I am sorry, but the guy with 3rd class does not have HIV,even people with HIV have hope. The guy with the third class is no leper, or an out cast. Some of the comments posted on this site can be termed discriminatory and in an advanced soceity, u all coud be sued.
If any smart guy turned up at my office for an interview, the last question i will ask (thats if at all i do) , is what grade he or she made at Uni.
I will be going for key skills , work experience and achievements. If its entry level, i will look for interpersonal skills and other traits. For any entry level guy dat finds him or her self in my situation, i will advise u to go on applying, get shortlisted for tests by not listing ur grade on ur cv. Make sure u do very well in the aptitude tests u get invited to, cos dats the only way u can distinguish your self. Then lastly pray u meet someone like me during your interview, i might recommend u if u meet the right skill set , not minding your grade.
Re: What Next After A 3rd Class From University? by kaydee(m): 2:02am On Feb 23, 2009
To All Y'all Third Class Citizens grin grin grin

Singing a popular song by MJ
"You're Not Alone,I am here with You, "

"Nobody built like you,You've designed yourself",Stop looking for job because you'll never get a good one,be an entrepreneur
Re: What Next After A 3rd Class From University? by JUNE09: 7:49am On Feb 23, 2009
Kaydee, u need to grow up? There are many people, so numerous to mention that have gone on to make something out of their lives, despite  the degree they came out with.

My friend,  u Altitude, depends on your attitude, not your aptitude[/b]. Grow up. For your information, quite a lot of your industry leaders back in Nigeria, had third class (i will not mention their names). I am not trying to promote such a class, if u can avoid such a grade, pls do, but if u find ur self in such a situation, there are still plenty of oppurtunities.

By the way, only a fool, would not want to aspire to be an enterpreneur, if u want to keep being a salary earner , good luck to u and pls send ur cv to my e-mail add.
Re: What Next After A 3rd Class From University? by kaydee(m): 11:35am On Feb 23, 2009
@ June09
Did U read my post or you jut skim through it?
Re: What Next After A 3rd Class From University? by osites(m): 11:55am On Feb 23, 2009
@ gaddafi81 and eleshin, u guys need to embrace reality, it may be hard to make it in nigeria as a 3rd class graduate but 1st and 2nd class gradutes are not better than 3rd class'ers coz u still need to struggle just like the next brother out there.in nigeria today its not just your grade but what u have gotten after it (master and the likes)which can be gotten by any class of graduate.

@ ehie and game rod, 3rd class'ers usually struggle the hardest in nigeria but that doesnt spell doom for them, i can count more than6 3rd class graduates that r making it/are comfortable.so u guys r on the rite track

@ st-kris,preach to them my broda.there are alot of 1st class graduates with the "i'm better than everyone else" attitude.it usually leads them nowhere becoz in truth a good job in nigeria is who you know and your hard struggle no matter your grade.

@ g+,, rock on brother. you are one of the many stories that give inspiration. from ur post i see ur solid.

the reality is after graduating with a 3rd class (no matter the reason) the next thing is hard work and u will make it.but be warned,there are alot of ignorant pompus graduates who feel you r lazy and deserve a life of suffering, use their insults as your inspiration and they will come to you for jobs and maybe,just maybe call u their boss.
Re: What Next After A 3rd Class From University? by JUNE09: 12:08pm On Feb 23, 2009
@ Osites, Nice one
Re: What Next After A 3rd Class From University? by RiffRaff: 1:26pm On Feb 23, 2009
Sign up in a vulcanizer shop cuz even an akara seller wont employ you. its just the way thing are in nigeria.
Re: What Next After A 3rd Class From University? by dahbuzz: 1:45pm On Feb 23, 2009
Hmmm Like someon esaid earlier it is not going to be easy.

As a guy who was in your same shes a while ago , th ebest thing to do is to find some thing that you are good at a pursue it vigourously.

If you go for any IT (or other ) qualification dont study to pass, study to understand. You want to be the guy who people call when then need a solution to their problems. Usually when all others have failed.

Once you have that sort of reputation, you are onm th eright road.

1 Like

Re: What Next After A 3rd Class From University? by sanmori(m): 2:14pm On Feb 23, 2009
While I will agree with lots of people that getting job with a third class might be difficult (particularly at enrty level), I want to add, that a third class from the UNI is not the end of the road. There are lots of things an individual in this class can do to better his/her lot. The business world today, lays more emphasis on skills rather than paper qualification. A third class graduate can look into IT and acquire some specific skills, he/she can even go futher into certification programmes, I think this is one of the way out. I have seen people that have been able to turn things around with this approach despite graduating with a third in the UNI.
Re: What Next After A 3rd Class From University? by D1KeleVra(m): 2:23pm On Feb 23, 2009
Riff-Raff:

Sign up in a vulcanizer shop cuz even an akara seller wont employ you. its just the way thing are in nigeria.

But recharge card seller dey accept some wey get accounting degree.
Re: What Next After A 3rd Class From University? by dremoney(m): 2:32pm On Feb 23, 2009
hahaha, re-write GCE, then SSCE, then POLY JAMB, then UNI JAMB and study drama,

u wont need connections even wiv a fail to start acting grin
Re: What Next After A 3rd Class From University? by akym(m): 3:33pm On Feb 23, 2009
@! g+.

u are great.
Re: What Next After A 3rd Class From University? by fredasue: 3:57pm On Feb 23, 2009
A third class is only a challenge. It doesn't mean you are a dull student. Some schools make 3rd a relief instead of wasting your time with their frustrating system.When for some reason or the other you make a third class you can do any of the following:
1. Get a job that does not emphasize on grades too much and work for while, save and develop yourself further.
2. There are careers that do not focus on grades but their own training e.g Aviation, IT,
3. If you have the courage to go into business, start wherever you are. You will get somewhere if you persist.
4. Consider apprentiship in hair, fashion, woodwork etc and if you are talented you will soar. cc Bobbys signature
5.If time is still on your side, you can start school afresh (i dont advise this strongly)

So too some of us 3rd class was a blessing because we had to look for alternatives and in the long run it paid out.
Re: What Next After A 3rd Class From University? by BabaTony: 4:53pm On Feb 23, 2009
i have this to say, not all third class srudents are going to fail, some , especially those who were victims of our shameful educational system and are sharp will surely make it.They can go for a post graduate diploma, equip yourself with other skills , e.g IT, and other business skills as mentioned here by some people, know the right people, that is move with people that can help you get one thing or the other done, Almighty God who is in heaven will surely open dorrs of success, success is not about degrees neither grades, but about preparation + Opportunity,after all we have all seen people who have never cross the university gates make millions on a daily basis. A univeristy Degree is not equal to money , if not there wouldnt be so many jobless youths in nigeria today, because there are a lot of masters,PGD,1st, and 2nd class graduates around. so my my conclusion is that THIRD CLASS GRADUATES CAN MAKE IT IN LIFE OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN!!!!!!!! PERIOD.
Re: What Next After A 3rd Class From University? by kingsikaz(m): 7:51pm On Feb 23, 2009
obtain Jamb form
Re: What Next After A 3rd Class From University? by bayodapo: 7:53pm On Feb 23, 2009
PRAYERS. smiley
Re: What Next After A 3rd Class From University? by kingsikaz(m): 8:10pm On Feb 23, 2009
well sa undecided
Re: What Next After A 3rd Class From University? by alanrewaju: 8:22pm On Feb 23, 2009
guy I will go with the opinion of upgrading ur degree wit pgd when Master. But be careful make sure dis time ur doing what u really love doing. You can also start thinking of being self employed (not Yahoo,LOL).
Re: What Next After A 3rd Class From University? by kelao: 8:33pm On Feb 23, 2009
Bunch of job conscious Nigerians! sad sad sad
Re: What Next After A 3rd Class From University? by Muza(m): 8:59pm On Feb 23, 2009
To all third classers,i'm sorry but u hav to open ur own business! grin cheesy
Re: What Next After A 3rd Class From University? by ladej(m): 10:41pm On Feb 23, 2009
if u finish with 3rd class its not the end of the world. samuel adedoyin only completed primary 6, yall know the rest, right? its all about vision, purpose and above all blessing from the most high to succeed and not 3rd, 2nd or 1st class degrees
Re: What Next After A 3rd Class From University? by ladej(m): 10:42pm On Feb 23, 2009
and by the way it took nigeria as a nation 47 years to elect its first graduate as president, SO CLEARLY IT CANT MATTER MUCH, CAN IT?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews / Casual Leave:annual Leave What Is The Difference Please / Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.