Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,305 members, 7,815,552 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:24 PM

Nigeria Struggles to Sell Oil Cargoes, Offers Discounts to Asian Buyers - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigeria Struggles to Sell Oil Cargoes, Offers Discounts to Asian Buyers (33314 Views)

Nigeria Loses 50% Cargoes To Cotonou Port / Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. / Photo Album Of Cargoes Awaiting Customs Clearance In Nahco (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Struggles to Sell Oil Cargoes, Offers Discounts to Asian Buyers by DaBullIT(m): 1:03pm On Dec 31, 2014
LRNZH:
All those refurbished trains project will die a premature death with this.

Best comment ever hahaha. We have crude for export in January , yet we queue for petrol , then we now buy at =N= 100-120. In this country , now that's ludicrous and entertaining especially with the REFURBISHED TRAIN PROJECT , SECOND NIGER BRIDGE SCAM among many others meanwhile over 700,000 nigerian workers yet to receive 3 months salary
Re: Nigeria Struggles to Sell Oil Cargoes, Offers Discounts to Asian Buyers by luckyman1010(m): 1:04pm On Dec 31, 2014
decode55:
for me, this is welcome news.

When Jonathan wins again come 2015 (notice I used "when" not "if" because its a certainty)

I'm sure the first thing he would do is to diversify the Economy.

[size=30pt] GEJ till 2019 [/size]

if you quote me & insult me, may ogun solder your _asshole shut
Big Head small Brain.
Re: Nigeria Struggles to Sell Oil Cargoes, Offers Discounts to Asian Buyers by Yerwa: 1:05pm On Dec 31, 2014
The only way out of this situation is for us to increase our local refining capacity and to capture the west and central Africa market,we just have to increase our influence within this region.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Struggles to Sell Oil Cargoes, Offers Discounts to Asian Buyers by DaBullIT(m): 1:06pm On Dec 31, 2014
LRNZH:

We need a more comprehensive rail project integrated with air and sea ports.

Not this refurbished trains.

Sai Buhari

Yeah , I agree with you , but those satanists said we should take one step at a time because Nigeria does not have electricity to support cable train as such we should start from coal engine then to diesel engine train

As for me I'll say let's focus on our roads first , Train has always been a white elephant project especially with clueless at the top. Some people are just chopping the money for rail
Re: Nigeria Struggles to Sell Oil Cargoes, Offers Discounts to Asian Buyers by Nobody: 1:06pm On Dec 31, 2014
Here is what Nigeria needs to do....from the experts...

From the article :Pass the books,hold the oil

[size=14pt]Add it all up and the numbers say that if you really want to know how a country is going to do in the 21st century, don’t count its oil reserves or gold mines, count its highly effective teachers, involved parents and committed students. “Today’s learning outcomes at school,” says Schleicher, “are a powerful predictor for the wealth and social outcomes that countries will reap in the long run.”
[/size]
Economists have long known about “Dutch disease,” which happens when a country becomes so dependent on exporting natural resources that its currency soars in value and, as a result, its domestic manufacturing gets crushed as cheap imports flood in and exports become too expensive. What the PISA team is revealing is a related disease: societies that get addicted to their natural resources seem to develop parents and young people who lose some of the instincts, habits and incentives for doing homework and honing skills.

By, contrast, says Schleicher, “in countries with little in the way of natural resources — Finland, Singapore or Japan — education has strong outcomes and a high status, at least in part because the public at large has understood that the country must live by its knowledge and skills and that these depend on the quality of education. ... Every parent and child in these countries knows that skills will decide the life chances of the child and nothing else is going to rescue them, so they build a whole culture and education system around it.”

Or as my Indian-American friend K. R. Sridhar, the founder of the Silicon Valley fuel-cell company Bloom Energy, likes to say, “When you don’t have resources, you become resourceful.”

And from Field Ruwe...

He was implacable. “Oh yes it is and I will say it again, you are lazy. Poor and uneducated Africans are the most hardworking people on earth. I saw them in the Lusaka markets and on the street selling merchandise. I saw them in villages toiling away. I saw women on Kafue Road crushing stones for sell and I wept. I said to myself where are the Zambian(Nigerian) intellectuals? Are the Zambian(Nigerian) engineers so imperceptive they cannot invent a simple stone crusher, or a simple water filter to purify well water for those poor villagers? Are you telling me that after thirty-seven years of independence your university school of engineering has not produced a scientist or an engineer who can make simple small machines for mass use? What is the school there for?”

I held my breath.

“[size=14pt]Do you know where I found your intellectuals? They were in bars quaffing. They were at the Lusaka Golf Club, Lusaka Central Club, Lusaka Playhouse, and Lusaka Flying Club(And in Nigeria....at your local beer parlour). I saw with my own eyes a bunch of alcoholic graduates. Zambian intellectuals work from eight to five and spend the evening drinking. We don’t. We reserve the evening for brainstorming.[/size]”

So instead of blaming the Hausas/leaders/Igbos/Yorubas/Muslims/Christians/etc...why not blame your unnecessary addiction to oil?

Nigerians.....stop talking about Resource control, Sharia, GEJ VS Buhari, and all that.....and focus on education...and getting our leaders to get us there. Use that school for something!

Oil is a curse.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Struggles to Sell Oil Cargoes, Offers Discounts to Asian Buyers by Montaque(m): 1:07pm On Dec 31, 2014
dammytosh:
Reason why Obasanjo Opened EXCESS CRUDE OIL account so that any amount we make in excess from the benchmark can be saved for times like this.

GEJ came, declared it illegal with the stupid Governors. They spent all the money and we are here.

The amazing thing is that people still have effontery to shout GEJ till...... Thank God most of them are below 17 and will not be able to vote.

Nigerians and very short memories.
GEJ didn't declare that account illegal,infact he had no such powers. There was a time NOI as finance minister was vocal against its spending and depletion,but majority of the Governors wanted it to use in their state especially those in foreign debt. Don't balme the Fed govt alone,blame the governors too,the account was for the federation.
Re: Nigeria Struggles to Sell Oil Cargoes, Offers Discounts to Asian Buyers by synergycom19: 1:07pm On Dec 31, 2014
[color=#990000][/color][quote author=byrron post=29365673]

So gej is responsible for Nigeria's mono-economy for over 40yrs and he is also responsible for the global crash in oil price affecting Nigerias economy which is petrodollar driven?

Even when the FG is trying to diversify the economy yet u guys will still see no good in it.

Political party affiliation shouldn't cloud our sense of objectivity and rationalities at this point in time cause it solves nothing rather it only creates noise.

Pdp + apc= same crap.

The article wasn't about political parties in Nigeria rather its about the global crash in oil price and how it is affecting the economies of oil producing countries and countries like Nigeria that is 80% dependent on oil revenues will feel the impact more, common sense should apply here.

Cheers.
[/quote
No OH GEJ has no responsibility at all let him just be drinking his ogogoro in Aso rock,and hand over the economy to IWEALA AND CO +ALL APPOINTMENTS TO MAMA PEACE]

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Struggles to Sell Oil Cargoes, Offers Discounts to Asian Buyers by Nobody: 1:09pm On Dec 31, 2014
DaBullIT:

Yeah , I agree with you , but those satanists said we should take one step at a time because Nigeria does not have electricity to support cable train as such we should start from coal engine then to diesel engine train

As for me I'll say let's focus on our roads first , Train has always been a white elephant project especially with clueless at the top. Some people are just chopping the money for rail

No,don't give up on trains. Trains are a good idea....cheap mass transport....and need little maintenance in the long run (compared to roads).
Re: Nigeria Struggles to Sell Oil Cargoes, Offers Discounts to Asian Buyers by ogbonoeba: 1:09pm On Dec 31, 2014
decode55:

When Jonathan wins again come 2015 (notice I used "when" not "if" because its a certainty)

If he was smarter than a door handle he would diversify now and not wait till February. You are as incompetent as your oga.
Re: Nigeria Struggles to Sell Oil Cargoes, Offers Discounts to Asian Buyers by Nobody: 1:11pm On Dec 31, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Abeg.....export of Agric products won't bring in much cash.....because we don't have the guaranteed markets, and we are still not producing enough. Also, the backbone of our agric is small scale farmers. Lastly....everyone is in agriculture....and as a result prices stay low(unless there is a drought in Asia).

Industries using our local raw materials is the answer. Agric will not save us. This is not the 1960's....when UK could buy our groundnut and palm oil and cocoa.
All options should be exploited. I believe there are still opportunities in the agric sector. This is a critical time and all hands must be on deck to sustain the growing Nigerian population.
Re: Nigeria Struggles to Sell Oil Cargoes, Offers Discounts to Asian Buyers by DaBullIT(m): 1:13pm On Dec 31, 2014
LRNZH:
Power and Refineries are supposed to be the first set of priorities apart from Security.

But GEJ in his usual 'MAULAG' fashion went for trains.

Misplaced priorities.

Misplaced priorities indeed. He he he I like that

Honda manufacturing is said to be coming to invest a plan in Nigeria

Two questions come to mind , will they use our ELECTRICITY ? Or our expensive petrol for production ?

Several refurbished rail projects and some other non verifiable projects like second Niger bridge , but we have the worst roads

Estimated missing funds within 0.5% error places funds embezzled by GEJ's boys at over $30 TRN

You can't wear your hijab or knapsack in the north without getting lynched

Nigerian Army failed to purchase weapons but tompolo successfully bought over $600M worth of war ship

GEJ in prison till infinity

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Struggles to Sell Oil Cargoes, Offers Discounts to Asian Buyers by ogbonoeba: 1:14pm On Dec 31, 2014
WhiteTechnology:

You gave him 6years but constrained him using your false federalism(Unitary system)

When Nigeria is ready to make States LGAs and Private Sector the vanguard of economic diversification, growth and development, we should be expecting more of this.

Is he the president or an impotent figure head?
Re: Nigeria Struggles to Sell Oil Cargoes, Offers Discounts to Asian Buyers by Feraz(m): 1:14pm On Dec 31, 2014
bushdoc9919:

No,don't give up on trains. Trains are a good idea....cheap mass transport....and need little maintenance in the long run (compared to roads).
Actually, they want it to die so that they can be proven right on why GEJ is clueless. They never reasoned that the money gotten from it could be used for maintenance and then building more should we take rail transportation serious.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Struggles to Sell Oil Cargoes, Offers Discounts to Asian Buyers by DaBullIT(m): 1:15pm On Dec 31, 2014
omenka:
How the cookie crumbles.

I'm hoping to see that day Nigeria can't export a single drop of oil so we can have real leaders ready to roll up their sleeves and do some hard work, and not the nutcases high on petrodollars striding the corridors of power today.

#TeamNoMoreOilExports.

I concur , home made petrol is better than paying for shipping outside and delivery back + manufacturing fees

#TeamRefineOurOilAtHome
Re: Nigeria Struggles to Sell Oil Cargoes, Offers Discounts to Asian Buyers by Nobody: 1:15pm On Dec 31, 2014
Good.
Now our lazy mallams can get to do some real work and earn a decent wage
Re: Nigeria Struggles to Sell Oil Cargoes, Offers Discounts to Asian Buyers by ogbonoeba: 1:15pm On Dec 31, 2014
LRNZH:

It may sound extreme but you have a point.

Until oil becomes unpalatable, these corrupt poliyicians will never use their heads to lead properly.

Only GMB is selfless enough to take on Nigeria's issues no matter lthe oil price.

I wish Naija can't sell a single barrel of oil next year.
Re: Nigeria Struggles to Sell Oil Cargoes, Offers Discounts to Asian Buyers by redcliff: 1:15pm On Dec 31, 2014
LRNZH:
Power and Refineries are supposed to be the first set of priorities apart from Security.

But GEJ in his usual 'MAULAG' fashion went for trains.

Misplaced priorities.

I wonder o.. because i wonder what power the train system would work on. In advanced climes, its electricity the rail system works with...
Re: Nigeria Struggles to Sell Oil Cargoes, Offers Discounts to Asian Buyers by Nobody: 1:16pm On Dec 31, 2014
donpeey22:
All options should be exploited. I believe there are still opportunities in the agric sector. This is a critical time and all hands must be on deck to sustain the growing Nigerian population.

Oh I am a beleiver in Agric. But...the problem is that there are so many countries doing it...that the financial returns will not be high enough.

Take cotton. Many other West African countries grow cotton...and they have to compete with cheap cotton from abroad. As a result...they don't earn much from it.

Palm oil? The kings of palm oil are Malaysia and Indonesia....countries that in 1960 were nowhere near us.

Cocoa....we are number 5....when in 1977 we were number 2. Now Ghana, Ivory Coast and Brazil are beating us.

We should prepare short term for belt tightening...and long term for industrial development. Because.....I don't see Agric saving us...not when prices are low all the time....no thanks to better production methods.
Re: Nigeria Struggles to Sell Oil Cargoes, Offers Discounts to Asian Buyers by DaBullIT(m): 1:17pm On Dec 31, 2014
PassingShot:
Make the oil price be 10 dollars per barrel sef.

There are many nations without oil and they're doing far better than us.

Mr. Clueless presided over a surplus regime of oil price but couldn't have any savings for rainy days?

I mean what happened to the excess monies we earned when oil sold at above 100$ (peaked at $115) per barrel while our budget was done on 70 something dollars per barrel? You all know the answer as much as I do.

As a result of the drop in oil price, our prodigal and clueless president and his team devalued the naira so that a dollar now exchanges for around 190 naira.

If they were not clueless or corrupt, they would have known that a time like this was bound to come and could have kept enough in the excess crude account to augment the deficit during this hard times. Afterall other OPEC members are not known to have devalued their currency since the drop in oil price started. Talk of cluelessness and thievery at its peak!

Kick Out Cluelessness in 2015 and Bring Back Hope and Change in GMB/PYO

Lolest. Let it not dry up yet , wait till Nigerians start faming and reaping farm produce Na beg I dey beg o before he turn SomeriA
Re: Nigeria Struggles to Sell Oil Cargoes, Offers Discounts to Asian Buyers by Nobody: 1:19pm On Dec 31, 2014
decode55:

Hehehe GEJ crusader/ praise singer.
1. Why hasn't he diversify it since 6 years?
2. GEJ does not know the meaning or means of diversifying economy. This language(diversify) is orchestrated by Ngozi Okonjo Iwella and she can do nothing. She has big mouth like pkomor to deceive people like u and GEJ.

Ngozi Okonjo is over rated and worshiped by Jonathan. She is the cause of Nigeria Economic woes. If GEJ has sense, he should start renovating prisons for his future.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Struggles to Sell Oil Cargoes, Offers Discounts to Asian Buyers by Nobody: 1:20pm On Dec 31, 2014
WhiteTechnology:

Thanks for being specific

Firstly

The 7points is being resisted by the far North on all political platforms . So my friend its more of a geopolitical problem than party problem

The problem of corruption is not PDP or APC but the absence of detail submission of our institutions financial/other activities to the public for scrutiny

In essence its more of a systematic inadequacy

For example

It is only in Nigeria, an institution can will tell you that they spent 10million naira building a house but will never tell you

1) how many bags of cement used and the cost per bag

2) how many tippers of sand/gravels/stones used and the cost per bag

3) how many iron rods used and the cost per rod

4) how many people were employed, their names and how much each was paid

5) where they bought the materials and show you the receipt

6) etc

It is easy for a person to inflate figures astronomical when such details are omitted.

In developed Western and Eastern nations, details like this are not overlooked.

who told you they cant present all that... Go and ask for the contract documents you will see all these things.
Re: Nigeria Struggles to Sell Oil Cargoes, Offers Discounts to Asian Buyers by DaBullIT(m): 1:20pm On Dec 31, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Eggsaktly let's learn to maintain our roads with honesty , generate resources from tolls and other taxes to fund rail projects , not gather already dwindling resources and spend on project that may not be successful in the long run

Personally , any train from the North becomes free of charge in the south , I'm not gonna board oit . there are issues to be tackled before we introduce mass , cheap and slow transport grin
Re: Nigeria Struggles to Sell Oil Cargoes, Offers Discounts to Asian Buyers by ken0808: 1:22pm On Dec 31, 2014
LRNZH:

We need a more comprehensive rail project integrated with air and sea ports.

Not this refurbished trains.

Sai Buhari

Won't you start crawling before you start walking? You be witch?
Re: Nigeria Struggles to Sell Oil Cargoes, Offers Discounts to Asian Buyers by ogbonoeba: 1:25pm On Dec 31, 2014
Buhari
Jonathan

The average nigerian is doomed. After watching Buhari declare that he will single-handedly raise oil prices, as a solution to the country's economic woes, I lost all respect for him. sad
Re: Nigeria Struggles to Sell Oil Cargoes, Offers Discounts to Asian Buyers by appini: 1:25pm On Dec 31, 2014
PassingShot:

You surely know that Buhari was not referring to oil price in the world market. But let me allow you to revel in your myopic belief.

And of what use is Mr. Clueless who presided over a surplus regime of oil price but couldn't have any savings for rainy days?

I mean what happened to the excess monies we eraned when oil sold at above 100$ per barrel while our budget was done on 70 something dollars per barrel? You all know the answer as much as I do.

As a result of the drop in oil price, our prodigal and clueless president and his team devalued the naira so that a dollar now exchanges for around 190 naira.

If they were not clueless or corrupt, they would have known that a time like this was bound to come and could have kept enough in the excess crude account to augment the deficit during this hard times. Afterall other OPEC members are not known to have devalued their currency since the drop in oil price started. Talk of cluelessness and thievery at its peak!

Kick Out Cluelessness in 2015 and Bring Back Hope and Change in GMB/PYO.

When NOI was telling the state governors that the federal govt need to save some funds for the rainy day; the same APC governors champions the revolt against GEJ that the rain was already falling in Nigeria that the money should be shared immediately.

You cannot eat your cake and still want to have it.
Re: Nigeria Struggles to Sell Oil Cargoes, Offers Discounts to Asian Buyers by redcliff: 1:26pm On Dec 31, 2014
CaptainAmerica:
How would a normal human being that claims to have something upstairs pray for the recently transformed Railway system to get spoilt again?

Are you sure you're normal?

Rome wasn't built in a day. Get that into your thick skulls

See what gej is doing, he is trying to deliver a woman in labour from her arse hole...its this simple! There are more pressing issues to fix that would automatically set in place other developmental structures running..you cannot wakeup today and say ypu want to be industrialized yet you cannot solve the poroblem of power..4000mw is an abysmal target and should not even be mentioned anywhere!
Re: Nigeria Struggles to Sell Oil Cargoes, Offers Discounts to Asian Buyers by Adminisher: 1:27pm On Dec 31, 2014
decode55:

Good luck cannot manage Nigeria under a $55 a barrel scenario, including all the struggling to find buyers, sell with discount kind of crude oil marketing condition. There is no more money to dispense as patronage and unions are going to be screaming mad next year. In fact the PDP is the weakest party to be in Nigeria starting 2015 and many members are going to peel off. The imperative for saving, corruption reduction and recurrent expenditure reduction are too strong to have a wasteful decadent party in power. Most of the top members already know this and are running away...the people eating from the crumbs of their crumbs like you the supporters are always the last to wise up but you will
Re: Nigeria Struggles to Sell Oil Cargoes, Offers Discounts to Asian Buyers by dammytosh: 1:27pm On Dec 31, 2014
Montaque:
GEJ didn't declare that account illegal,infact he had no such powers. There was a time NOI as finance minister was vocal against its spending and depletion,but majority of the Governors wanted it to use in their state especially those in foreign debt. Don't balme the Fed govt alone,blame the governors too,the account was for the federation.

I am sure you saw the 'Governors' too.

You know why i blame FG and i am tired of this Govt ? Why didn't they spend the money when Obasanjo was there ?

You don't allow Governors push you here and there as the President. They did the same thing for subsidy and backed out when the polity was heated.

I am sure it is people who want all this 'No Consequence' show continue that will want GEJ beyond 2015. We honestly need a change.
Re: Nigeria Struggles to Sell Oil Cargoes, Offers Discounts to Asian Buyers by ogbonoeba: 1:28pm On Dec 31, 2014
Will shale oil destroy Naija?
If the Americans develop technology to produce oil at less than $50/barrel and sell to Asia, what will Nigeria do?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Struggles to Sell Oil Cargoes, Offers Discounts to Asian Buyers by dayosaurus(m): 1:30pm On Dec 31, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Did you say cheap?. Ikeja-ijoko a 20km journey is 750 via rail,while the same journey via road is less is 500 during peak periods.
I think cheap needs a new definition
Re: Nigeria Struggles to Sell Oil Cargoes, Offers Discounts to Asian Buyers by Nobody: 1:31pm On Dec 31, 2014
Funniest thing I saw, was GEJ asking us to vote for him for CHANGE grin

Does he not realise he has been in power all this while?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Struggles to Sell Oil Cargoes, Offers Discounts to Asian Buyers by kart042000(m): 1:32pm On Dec 31, 2014
WhiteTechnology:

I like GEJ but I won't fail to bring to his notice the real issue hindering national growth

That's the difference between you and me

I expected you to use this medium to enlightened your heroes to face reality but no . Rather you come online to insult me

Which is why Osibanjo exposed his cluelessness when he said he will re channel the subsidy to feeding school children

Spend more time helping you heroes the way I do.

I seek GEJ's success and one day he will see this and ask for me to counsel him better.

President Jonathan would only seek your counsel if you have a voodoo to make him win next years election.

All you listed are truely a road map to progress if it can be followed, but unfortunately i dont trust your gej to follow it because he has not implemented a single result from all the money sharing committees he has raised in the past.

Better channel your energy to a new person to win who is willing to bring change and respect of value and life for each Nigerian citizen. I believe buhari/Osibanjo will deliver the true results of democracy, and if they dont, we kick them out in 2019 by our thumb.

Unfortunately for them they would need to work extremely hard because the debt Nigeria is in is large, external reserve as been depleted, oil price as dropped. Atleast the diversification we are shouting and craving requires investors, and the government needs money to manage and sustain other sectors.

God help us.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

20,000 Bank Accounts Closed By FG / Coronavirus: Stanbic IBTC Bank To Operate Skeletal Services / "We Are Abusing The Word CEO" - Nigerian Woman Explains

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.