Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,849 members, 7,820,961 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:22 AM

Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today (55093 Views)

Ikpeazu Introduces Education For Employment In Abia / 20 Best Course With Best Employment In Nigeria / Bachelor’s Degrees With Lots Of Employment Options. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by Nobody: 7:50am On Jan 03, 2015
kristen12:
You're saying trash and your list is baseless.

This nonsense thread isn't supposed to be on the frontpage cos it doesn't add any value to ones life and it might be discouraging to people.
Now I believe nairaland frontpage is a dumping ground
Are u reading English?, pls chng course.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by donPhill(m): 8:08am On Jan 03, 2015
Toeyean1507:
U are so lucky,bro. That's one of d best courses one can actually study. Do endeavor to familiarize urself wit software packages such as SAS, E-view, MATLAB, STATISTICA, SPSS, EXCEL, ORACLE and d likes. U'll thank me later
tnx alot.....dats actually my nxt move cos one can term d world nw as a "digital world", computer is a necessity
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by kristen12(f): 8:25am On Jan 03, 2015
jusjuded:

Are u reading English?, pls chng course.
I'm not, and if there's anything to correct can't Ɣ☺ΰ correct it sensibly? As if Ɣ☺ΰ cannot read it.
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by Nobody: 8:33am On Jan 03, 2015
kristen12:

I'm not, and if there's anything to correct can't Ɣ☺ΰ correct it sensibly? As if Ɣ☺ΰ cannot read it.
Well, almost all d courses in our Nigerian uni, z a wast of tym since employmnt don finish.
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by greatsodade(m): 8:47am On Jan 03, 2015
[quote author=Ezemarcel post=29425073]Agility studies

Wot do they do there
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by Champella(m): 8:53am On Jan 03, 2015
peemyke:
Tho I dnt lyk forestry n wildlife. In uniuyo diz guys r rilly trying. Lots on researches r going on. D recently discovered a plant dat cn cure HIV and a variety of sickness n diseases.

Hello!

Could this be NALH 1 or 2?
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by Abdstrakt(m): 9:00am On Jan 03, 2015
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by Abdstrakt(m): 9:03am On Jan 03, 2015
A fresh philosophy grad here.
The question people ask me when I tell them I studied philosophy is "what are you going to do with a philosophy degree?" , I tell them, "just about anything I want". I can tell you that philosophy is the ultimate transferable work skill. Unlike narrowly defined fields of study like accounting or engineering, a degree in philosophy or another liberal art does not prepare you for a specific industry or position. I would say that it’s always a good thing to know, no matter what you go on to study, to be able to think critically. To challenge your own point of view. Philosophy has prepared me not for a specific job, but for the multiple jobs I expect to hold during my lifetime. Learn How to Think, Not What to Think.
#IThinkThereforeIEarn
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by Emmanuel602(m): 9:08am On Jan 03, 2015
And our president is a zoologist... All courses have equal opportunities abeg. It all depends on the grade you graduate with and you packaging
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by Samueloladapo(m): 9:28am On Jan 03, 2015
Repping me course anytime. Proudly physicist. Even though they often ask. What's the job prospect for a physicist apart from being a teacher. Lol
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by PStacks(m): 9:30am On Jan 03, 2015
tuncy:

Rubbish
21yrs of age with 4yrs work experience and nysc discharge certificate! Ow possible?
You must have graduated at 16, Nysc at 17

Seems u don't get sacarsm
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by Toeyean1507(f): 9:33am On Jan 03, 2015
ALKARULEZZ:
did u just mention 'guaranteed'?

Oya, wahtz d guarantee? (Let's st@ 4rm here)
Lol. U can't understand,my dear. Well,I'll tell u a little about dat assertion. I started analyzing data for project students when I was in my 2nd year in sch at B.Sc and M.Sc levels. I got myself familiarized with various analysis packages and today,i can conveniently tell u dat I'm a Data analyst. I'm a member of various Statistics' association. Am I sounding proud already? Lolzzzzzzzzzzz,it isn't my fault though. #TeamStatisticiansalldahway

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by apparentlylaw(m): 9:34am On Jan 03, 2015
kristein:
of recent...about a couple of days ago..I basically made a write up of the best top 10 courses and hot cake in nigeria as at today..

but I have finally,come up with another write up of the top 10 worst degrees with lowest potential for employment in nigeria as at today

certainly,there is no degree that guarantees one job in & by itself however given the current economic situation and the fast pace of economic and technological shift in the continent and nigeria in particular there are degrees you would be better off not investing your time and resources to acquire as opportunities affected in those areas are increasingly getting eroded...if however you have a degree in any of them and finding it tough to make career headway it's time to put on your thinking cap
1 General Arts;
this cover anything from art history to painting/sculpture in the western world and developed countries having a degree in the arts could fetch one decent job opportunities several years ago..after the depression however with many european economic still sttuggling to recover it's becoming increasingly tough to find opportunities for majors in such areas like archeology,painting/fine art,history et cetera.

the opportunities for these sort of degrees are shrinking and people with the academic credentials thinking to get themselves a job in related field would have to do a cot of innovative and pro active thinking.
career counsellors advise those who want to study such things as art,dance,and music to have a specific strategy...sometimes a way out could be getting a higher degree(such as masters).

2 Humanities and liberal Arts;
if you love sitting and thinking about the intricacies of life and expounding on theories of existence or analysing political theories and events there may not be enough opportunities to do that in real life with your philosophy or political science degree to earn good money..
Humanities and liberal Art degree courses like Anthropology,political science,philosophy and many more do not give the graduates who passes them specific in road into the employement market..unlike professional courses like engineering,and the business field having a degree in any of the humanities may not really point one to a specific career direction.

3 Education;
unless you are willing to take higher degrees and pursue teaching opportunities at higher levels of the education ladder having an education degree is hardly going to get you the best jobs.
the only ways a graduate degree holder in education will do better is either to go for higher qualification and try to break into higher level teaching or do a career switch entirely and go for higher qualification in a different field that has more career prospects.

4 Religious studies;
Given the way churches and self styled pastors are springing up in every nook and cranny it should appear that splurging money on a religious studies degree will present the holder with bright prospects...however nothing can be further from the truth..except you are willing to plunge in and open your own church down the street,becoming a quran clutching preacher et cetera...there are hardly any existing opportunities for you to explore if you have a religiouss studies degree and wish to exploit opportunities there in.

5 Mass communication;
In considering mass communication we had a struggle with choosing a few other courses ahead of mass communication but at the end the argument was too much against mass communication degree.
the increasing introduction of media technology is eating away at the former strongholds of mass communication graduates..reporters and journalist find the rug being gradually pulled of their feet as bloggers and writers who hitherto knew nothing about mass communication.

take over the business of news discovering and sharing newspaper and television are no longer holding the baton in exclusive control of the media business...for mass comm.majors who wish to find and pursue the right career day need to understand the change in mass media and communication tools and acquire the right skills.
other worst course are;
6 botany
7 social studies
8 english literature
9 zoology
10 forest and wildlife management(wonderwhat you wana do with these,mayb you will use the certificate for cutting of woods in the forest)
Oga dey ...I sight u
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by Toeyean1507(f): 9:38am On Jan 03, 2015
donPhill:
tnx alot.....dats actually my nxt move cos one can term d world nw as a "digital world", computer is a necessity
U can say that again. I'm actually enjoying d benefits of those packages now especially SPSS,MATLAB,EXCEL and of course SAS.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by busterr(m): 10:18am On Jan 03, 2015
kristein:
of recent...about a couple of days ago..I basically made a write up of the best top 10 courses and hot cake in nigeria as at today..

but I have finally,come up with another write up of the top 10 worst degrees with lowest potential for employment in nigeria as at today

certainly,there is no degree that guarantees one job in & by itself however given the current economic situation and the fast pace of economic and technological shift in the continent and nigeria in particular there are degrees you would be better off not investing your time and resources to acquire as opportunities affected in those areas are increasingly getting eroded...if however you have a degree in any of them and finding it tough to make career headway it's time to put on your thinking cap
1 General Arts;
this cover anything from art history to painting/sculpture in the western world and developed countries having a degree in the arts could fetch one decent job opportunities several years ago..after the depression however with many european economic still sttuggling to recover it's becoming increasingly tough to find opportunities for majors in such areas like archeology,painting/fine art,history et cetera.

the opportunities for these sort of degrees are shrinking and people with the academic credentials thinking to get themselves a job in related field would have to do a cot of innovative and pro active thinking.
career counsellors advise those who want to study such things as art,dance,and music to have a specific strategy...sometimes a way out could be getting a higher degree(such as masters).

2 Humanities and liberal Arts;
if you love sitting and thinking about the intricacies of life and expounding on theories of existence or analysing political theories and events there may not be enough opportunities to do that in real life with your philosophy or political science degree to earn good money..
Humanities and liberal Art degree courses like Anthropology,political science,philosophy and many more do not give the graduates who passes them specific in road into the employement market..unlike professional courses like engineering,and the business field having a degree in any of the humanities may not really point one to a specific career direction.

3 Education;
unless you are willing to take higher degrees and pursue teaching opportunities at higher levels of the education ladder having an education degree is hardly going to get you the best jobs.
the only ways a graduate degree holder in education will do better is either to go for higher qualification and try to break into higher level teaching or do a career switch entirely and go for higher qualification in a different field that has more career prospects.

4 Religious studies;
Given the way churches and self styled pastors are springing up in every nook and cranny it should appear that splurging money on a religious studies degree will present the holder with bright prospects...however nothing can be further from the truth..except you are willing to plunge in and open your own church down the street,becoming a quran clutching preacher et cetera...there are hardly any existing opportunities for you to explore if you have a religiouss studies degree and wish to exploit opportunities there in.

5 Mass communication;
In considering mass communication we had a struggle with choosing a few other courses ahead of mass communication but at the end the argument was too much against mass communication degree.
the increasing introduction of media technology is eating away at the former strongholds of mass communication graduates..reporters and journalist find the rug being gradually pulled of their feet as bloggers and writers who hitherto knew nothing about mass communication.

take over the business of news discovering and sharing newspaper and television are no longer holding the baton in exclusive control of the media business...for mass comm.majors who wish to find and pursue the right career day need to understand the change in mass media and communication tools and acquire the right skills.
other worst course are;
6 botany
7 social studies
8 english literature
9 zoology
10 forest and wildlife management(wonderwhat you wana do with these,mayb you will use the certificate for cutting of woods in the forest)

to think you can come around and post rubbish here you are ritarded and stvpid and same can be said for the mod who moved it to fp
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by joecooper(m): 10:27am On Jan 03, 2015
Maquiptarepzy:
kip giving itself false hope.

so u think
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by joecooper(m): 10:29am On Jan 03, 2015
busterr:

to think you can come around and post rubbish here you are ritarded and stvpid and same can be said for the mod who moved it to fp

Omo guy.... U dey Para o... U need not Insult the OP for no good reason
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by sageb: 10:39am On Jan 03, 2015
Abajosax007:
in 21st century you dont survive by what you studied you survive by what you know
dats d fact bro ur quality matter alot

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by elohorayodele: 10:51am On Jan 03, 2015
Aitee1:
Op it pays to be verse in all areas...if you don't have an idea of how useful forestry and wildlife is to our environment don't make a mockery of it...tree conservation has a greater part to play in everyday life. Just do some research. Those in the north can even testify to that fact first.

You are here making jest of those that read such course is it not Nigerian govt that careless about environment? Go to the western world and see how the white treasure their environs!

Is that what you studied?
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by busterr(m): 11:00am On Jan 03, 2015
joecooper:

Omo guy.... U dey Para o... U need not Insult the OP for no good reason

the o.p is rubbishing people's courses ignorantly and it's not funny. how can he rate courses like masscommunication and even education as worst course? what right has he to even grade any course people spend 4 to 6 years in the higher institution to study as a worst course?
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by samuelezekiel(m): 11:11am On Jan 03, 2015
it doesn't matter wat u studied, we are in the computer age, as long as u know hw to nagivate a computer system, u can work anywhere...for instance I studied Building Technology and am working in a bank...

well as long as your grade is good, even if u study sewage management u can work anywhere...
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by Unclerukus: 11:31am On Jan 03, 2015
maximunimpact:

Wow! Accounting undergraduate? There u xposed ur ignorant in the labour market, what u are been taught in skul have little to do with the reality in the labour market and u probably have no idea how it works in the real world.

U are trying to make an impression about courses that are more profitable and viable if that's what u mean, as an accountant, u can work anywhere, just as an engineer can be a civil defence or banker.........if I have blamed u b4 pardon me because I didn't know I was trying to argue with an undergraduate who still depend on somebody 4 survival.

A guy like me have been in the labour force 4 over 6years now, I graduated and served 7yrs ago, I wasted a year looking 4 a job.....until I realised that I can creat one.

The whole story changed when I saw the inscription on an NIIT office: ''when others were looking 4 job, I have thousands of job to chose from'' when I saw that in entered for enquiries.

I was amased when I saw that I can make a career out of the ICT world. Today am a programmer, web developer and graphic designer, something that has nothing to do with what I studied in the university.

Not just ICT, we in Africa are lucky that aside from oil, other sectors are unexpoited, areas like agriculture, medicine, environmental studies, community development research, etc.

I bet u will not understand now because u are still an kid, but when u grow up u are going to find out that studying ''accountancy in a prestigeous university'' in ur own words does not guaranty u will be an accountant in the future. So have an open mind and be ready to learn.
very nice reply. I am currently a practicing accountant in an audit firm, your last paragraph is very salient and have base. Its usually what not you read you end up doing but YOU BUILT YOURSELF by upgrading and finding other fields to be involved in. Those courses she listed though are courses not really in hot demand(educationists rarely are jobless,enough jobs for them). Some courses are not meant to be studied and then to give you a office or salary job,they are meant for self enlightenment and personal research, most of the courses listed there are good courses outside the country but Nigeria lacks the personnel infrastructure and advancement to find them jobs that suit them. Those courses don't shake any floors except you upgrade yourself by adding other qualities to yourself. N.B - Anybody can excel in any course or any field, the secret is that always be ready to be versatile, react to changes fast and upgrade yourself and try to pass out with a good result, its not by reading this or that....know what you want and be HIGHLY AWARE of the current labor trends and I would like to say that this post is highly insensitive to the people who wish to or are studying the listed coures.
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by Nten: 11:38am On Jan 03, 2015
nuelldido:

pls tell him....... I don't know where he got all dis shit he listed
u know some nairalanders just wake up and jump into hasty generalization without adequate information on what they are posting.
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by Idacrux: 12:06pm On Jan 03, 2015
Toeyean1507:
U can say dat again!!! This is d 1st time I'm meeting a fellow online.............#Team facts from reliable figures
Of the gr8est statistics students..I rep Nass(UNN)

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by Aitee1: 12:08pm On Jan 03, 2015
elohorayodele:

Is that what you studied?

Nop...but I'm close to someone that studied it so I learn a lot from them
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by Timothy3113(m): 1:36pm On Jan 03, 2015
Pr0ton:
Animal Science nko
thunda fire you
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by Timothy3113(m): 1:41pm On Jan 03, 2015
They twerk, they dance and they run,[quote author=greatsodade post=29443227][/quote]
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by elohorayodele: 1:52pm On Jan 03, 2015
Aitee1:

Nop...but I'm close to someone that studied it so I learn a lot from them

No wonder you spoke so passionately. So we still have unfinished gist, want to tell me now ?
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by benjsniper33: 1:52pm On Jan 03, 2015
Op,what about Geography? What is the hope for geo's student in Nigeria and the world? Expecting Response.thanks
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by tosinmania: 2:00pm On Jan 03, 2015
3,5,8 just shows you never check before you write.This is a country where anytin goes
Re: Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today by kristein(m): 2:35pm On Jan 03, 2015
benjsniper33:
Op,what about Geography? What is the hope for geo's student in Nigeria and the world? Expecting Response.thanks
is that your discipline sire?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Angry Zambian Father Slaps His Son Over Poor Result After Paying $21k As Tuition / Top 10 Largest Universities In Nigeria By Land Mass / "Only In Unillorin" - See What An Angry Unillorin Student Wrote About Her School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.