Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,962 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:06 AM

An Iraqi Throws A Shoe At President Bush - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / An Iraqi Throws A Shoe At President Bush (14359 Views)

More Than 30 Potential Death Threats A Day Targeted At President Obama / Journalist Flings Shoes At President Bush / The Rape Of Iraqi Women By Us Soldiers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Iraqi Throws A Shoe At President Bush by RibaduFan(m): 2:40pm On Dec 15, 2008
Management Lessons

If it were Yardua, by now we would have had a critically injured President

If it were OBJ, the journalist would have been terribly injured, cos baba would have thrown his back.
Re: An Iraqi Throws A Shoe At President Bush by Horus(m): 3:05pm On Dec 15, 2008
Just a shoe ? .A 1000 Kilogram Bomb was more appropriate. grin
Re: An Iraqi Throws A Shoe At President Bush by chidichris(m): 4:22pm On Dec 15, 2008
bush in a couple of weeks will join the other past american presidents on the path of history and obama will come online.
he was against invassion so let us see his approach but i will assure you, it is no longer going to be business as usual.
america will never go back to negotiation table with terrorists.
afghans can now enjoy all the benefits they were deneied of by the talibans and no one is saying thanks to bush.
sooner than later, irqis will start enjoying the benefits of democracy and maybe no one will be here to celebrate bush.
if anyone is saying that bush's response to the 9/11 attacks was not good, then i pray he become a victim or his family member becomes one so that we can learn from him how to react to terrorists attacks.
no one is bold enough to say GO to mugabe till date. africans have choosen negotiation and that is paying off to them from the way people are dying day by day from different courses yet we are saving the people from war.
let us see what will happen at the end of the day.
how many lives were saved in liberia by bush's ultimatum to charles taylor? no one is interested. the very best way to save peoples'lives is by loosing lives and that is exactly what bush did in afghanistan and iraq so let us see how obama will save lives.
one more thing is that some wars are unavoidable so the earlier you prepare your mind and go for it the better for you.
Re: An Iraqi Throws A Shoe At President Bush by PeeDaVinci: 4:57pm On Dec 15, 2008
@chidichris
I am usually against your views on many issues (nothing personal though), but on this one, i very strongly support you.!!!!
Re: An Iraqi Throws A Shoe At President Bush by Angelheart: 6:20pm On Dec 15, 2008
LOL,

That was FUNNY and quite humiliating for the dude,
Re: An Iraqi Throws A Shoe At President Bush by Nobody: 6:25pm On Dec 15, 2008
Al Zaidi . . . stone Talabani with your shoe and lets see how much of a hero you really are . . .

why doesnt he stone muqtada al sadr? No more shoes in the market?
Re: An Iraqi Throws A Shoe At President Bush by debosky(m): 6:31pm On Dec 15, 2008
davidylan:

Al Zaidi . . . stone Talabani with your shoe and lets see how much of a hero you really are . . .

why doesnt he stone muqtada al sadr? No more shoes in the market?

Without Bush's intervention, how would Talabani have become president? Even Al Sadr wouldn't have his popularity with some Iraqis if not for the American invasion. If he wanted to target those, then there is no better person to throw shoes at than Bush - he's the one holding those puppets up. Without the US support, they would never win any elections.

Besides, Bush is the foreigner who poked his nose in, not Talabani or Al Sadr.
Re: An Iraqi Throws A Shoe At President Bush by Nobody: 6:34pm On Dec 15, 2008
debosky:

Without Bush's intervention, how would Talabani have become president? Even Al Sadr wouldn't have his popularity with some Iraqis if not for the American invasion. If he wanted to target those, then there is no better person to throw shoes at than Bush - he's the one holding those puppets up. Without the US support, they would never win any elections.

Besides, Bush is the foreigner who poked his nose in, not Talabani or Al Sadr.

Without Bush's intervention Al Zaidi would be facing a hangman's noose now were he to throw his shoes at a Baath party member.
Re: An Iraqi Throws A Shoe At President Bush by Kobojunkie: 6:37pm On Dec 15, 2008
chidichris:

bush in a couple of weeks will join the other past american presidents on the path of history and obama will come online.
he was against invassion so let us see his approach but i will assure you, it is no longer going to be business as usual.
america will never go back to negotiation table with terrorists.
afghans can now enjoy all the benefits they were deneied of by the talibans and no one is saying thanks to bush.
sooner than later, irqis will start enjoying the benefits of democracy and maybe no one will be here to celebrate bush.
if anyone is saying that bush's response to the 9/11 attacks was not good, then i pray he become a victim or his family member becomes one so that we can learn from him how to react to terrorists attacks.
no one is bold enough to say GO to mugabe till date. africans have choosen negotiation and that is paying off to them from the way people are dying day by day from different courses yet we are saving the people from war.
let us see what will happen at the end of the day.
how many lives were saved in liberia by bush's ultimatum to charles taylor? no one is interested. the very best way to save peoples'lives is by loosing lives and that is exactly what bush did in afghanistan and iraq so let us see how obama will save lives.
one more thing is that some wars are unavoidable so the earlier you prepare your mind and go for it the better for you.

Excellent points made. The man made some serious blunders but overall, he had a strong impact on global politics (impacts not viewed in positive light by majority, ity seems), but in time will tell what his legacy will be.
Re: An Iraqi Throws A Shoe At President Bush by debosky(m): 6:42pm On Dec 15, 2008
Fair enough, but who says he won't be killed now? I'm sure he's been tortured already for 'embarassing' Maliki. It's not very different in the end. Torture andextra-judicial  killings continue in Iraq, even today.
Re: An Iraqi Throws A Shoe At President Bush by Nobody: 6:47pm On Dec 15, 2008
debosky:

Fair enough, but who says he won't be killed now? I'm sure he's been tortured already for 'embarassing' Maliki. It's not very different in the end. Torture andextra-judicial killings continue in Iraq, even today.

He's been released.
Obviously the Iraqi people tried to capitalise on America's liberal democracy and started crying about "freedom of expression" . . . the same "freedom" they dont have under their own leaders?
Re: An Iraqi Throws A Shoe At President Bush by diggler(m): 7:00pm On Dec 15, 2008
Culled from

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/matt-stewart/detached-in-a-shoestorm-b_b_150898.html

Reagan forgot to duck. Bush didn't. It's unforgettable television that, upon reflection, appears to sum up the man and his presidency.

Watch the video. From behind we see the Shoe Thrower lurch up, ragged and uncouth, doing his best to reinforce all negative stereotypes of angry Muslim fundamentalists. He yells, "This is a goodbye kiss from the Iraqi people, dog!" and unleashes the shoe, hard, straight at Bush's head. The shoe moves fast, with good rotation, perfect for a bloody nose. And, without batting an eye, Bush ducks a foot and a half. What was about to nail him on the schnoz sails harmlessly into the backdrop.

Then, wait. This is the strange part. There's no mass tackling of the Shoe Thrower, no Secret Service agents diving across the stage to take a Nike for America. For a beat the Shoe Thrower owns the room. And--my favorite part--Bush does NOT hit the deck. Instead he pops back up to normal height. His face is cagey and attentive, on full alert like a basketball defender. He's little bewildered, but not paralyzed. Instinct consumes him. It looks as if he realizes this is incredible, amazing stuff, a must-see event, history unraveling before him. Maybe some Texas bravado wriggles in. Maybe he feels assassination coming and is determined to watch it in. He has to see how this ends.

In this situation, Bush loses no dignity by crumbling to the floor in the fetal position. We expect this of our presidents--it's the rational thing to do. It's what I would do, and what I hope my friends and family would do. But Bush stands there, a sitting duck, waiting, just as intrigued as we are. He does not take over. He is not in control. Like his presidency, Bush's staredown looks foolhardy and counterproductive, but here a corner of my gut roots for him hard. Bring em on, indeed.

The other shoe drops. Good rotation, and thrown hard, but it sails on him. Bush flinches, raises his hand, but it's not a full duck. He's seen major league pitching. This guy doesn't have it. Finally, the other reporters in the room awaken and move to collar the Shoe Thrower. A little while later, Bush adds the mandatory quip: "All I can report is a size 10."

It's a strange capstone to a presidency, one of those semi-absurd semi-scary incidents like the pretzel-choking, the back-shooting, the bike-crashing. Yet somehow those ten seconds seem to say everything about the man, about guts and intelligence, humor and luck, the dangerous world Bush has helped make worse. For what the world hopes to be the last time, we've watched the man do just enough to keep himself afloat
/quote]

The emboldened part makes the whole fiasco reek of mega conspiracy.
There must've been a Second Shoe-ter grin grin grin grin
Re: An Iraqi Throws A Shoe At President Bush by Pataki: 7:33pm On Dec 15, 2008
Bush has made his mark in history no doubts. The first American president to have shoes thrown at him in a press conference and dodging it successfully.

I salute his courage just that he made silly blunders that he was not ready to accept to.
Re: An Iraqi Throws A Shoe At President Bush by TayoD1(m): 7:43pm On Dec 15, 2008
@RichyBlack,

There were 15 Saudis among the 19 hijackers and zero (okolo, nought) Iraqis, yet the despicable Saudi government was shielded from the wrath of the American Killing Machines, and Iraq was turned to a theater of violence with hitherto unknown/uninvited guests, like Alqaeda, running the show and directing the scenes of unimaginable mayhem and gore!
Of the 19 terrorists, 15 were Saudis. Of the 19 terrorists, 19 were muslims. Going by your "logic" then, the US would be justified to consider all muslims enemies? Talk about simplifying a very complex matter.
Re: An Iraqi Throws A Shoe At President Bush by Bastage: 7:47pm On Dec 15, 2008
There must've been a Second Shoe-ter

grin grin grin grin grin

Re: An Iraqi Throws A Shoe At President Bush by chidichris(m): 7:49pm On Dec 15, 2008
by the way, what is throwing of shoe compare to the suicide that they are ever ready to commit on hearing about 14 virgins waitiong for them in heaven?
they are born mad.
iraqi govt must have shown him the right way to behave by now.
no wonder saddam used to treat them like animals.
Re: An Iraqi Throws A Shoe At President Bush by tharma(f): 8:24pm On Dec 15, 2008
I think some people think that democracy is what everybody want. These people in the middle east are not interested in democracy. And it will be very difficult for them to be govern by democratic means. There is no way Arabs will have democracy. They just dont like it. Right from the begining of Islam, not long ago after the death of the Prophet (PBUH) they abandoned the voting systems and decide to go back to monarchy. Anybody familiar with Islamic system of governance will tell u that, Islam does not recognize mornachy, but majority of Arab world have mornachy system of government. Iraqis are not intersted in democracy. And they dont want it.
Re: An Iraqi Throws A Shoe At President Bush by AKO1(m): 8:26pm On Dec 15, 2008
See the 'dividends' of the democracy that Bush so dearly wants in Iraq? undecided
Re: An Iraqi Throws A Shoe At President Bush by Kobojunkie: 8:33pm On Dec 15, 2008
tharma:

I think some people think that democracy is what everybody want. These people in the middle east are not interested in democracy. And it will be very difficult for them to be govern by democratic means. There is no way Arabs will have democracy. They just don't like it. Right from the begining of Islam, not long ago after the death of the Prophet (PBUH) they abandoned the voting systems and decide to go back to monarchy. Anybody familiar with Islamic system of governance will tell u that, Islam does not recognize mornachy, but majority of Arab world have mornachy system of government. Iraqis are not intersted in democracy. And they don't want it.

How do you know that is not what they want? So Far, the Iraqi's have been reportedly taking advantage of their new found power. The Kurds have and they are enjoying it as we speak.
Re: An Iraqi Throws A Shoe At President Bush by tharma(f): 8:41pm On Dec 15, 2008
Well, wait and see, once Americans troop are pull out of Iraq then u will understand what I mean. These people are not like Nigerians. Give them freedom and you are in trouble. The animosity between the different clans in Iraq is morethan the one the Ibo people have for Northerners. The American government made a mistake and they know it. Their only hope for peace in Iraq is for another dictator to spring up from nowhere and take over the country and be loyal to them. Well another thing that Americans always hate is the growing influence of Iran, and what they just did was to bolster Iranian influence in the middle east by given them a government loyal to them in Bagdad free of charge. From whatever angle a person look at it, it does not auger well for the American interest.
Re: An Iraqi Throws A Shoe At President Bush by Kobojunkie: 8:42pm On Dec 15, 2008
tharma:

The animosity between the different clans in Iraq is morethan the one the Ibo people have for Northerners.

roflmao!!! you sure?? lol
Re: An Iraqi Throws A Shoe At President Bush by tharma(f): 8:45pm On Dec 15, 2008
I agree with u in respect to the Kurds. But the Turkish across the boarder hate the idea of the freedom the Kurds have. Already they have made incursion into Iraq to attack what they called rebels. It is just a complication of interest. And the American government knows that.
Re: An Iraqi Throws A Shoe At President Bush by congoshine(m): 8:46pm On Dec 15, 2008
carmelily:

The grammatical bullet in the topic pi$$ed me off too. i didn't even want to contribute. Real trashy English.
When poorly educated juveniles start taking the priviledge of a forum to insult their elders,it can be quite tiring. embarassed

Research what it means 'To stone' & come back with your apologies.

If you don't have an opinion on the current discourse,please say so & don't hide behind grammar  tongue
shakes his head wondering how this prude got access in the first place.
Re: An Iraqi Throws A Shoe At President Bush by tharma(f): 8:47pm On Dec 15, 2008
Kobojunkie:

roflmao!!! you sure?? lol

Well, as a regular Nairaland contributor, u can attest to that.
Re: An Iraqi Throws A Shoe At President Bush by congoshine(m): 8:48pm On Dec 15, 2008
luvlawyer:

Bush stoned with shoe LOL
More like, shoes thrown at bush! ma friiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiennnnnnnnnnnnndddddddd!!!
[center]Another prude with a lovely keyboard ,but limited IQ ! cry cry[/center]
Re: An Iraqi Throws A Shoe At President Bush by Kobojunkie: 8:52pm On Dec 15, 2008
I can not ooo!!! Seems if you let these ibos and hausas loose in some desert, you will find the sand all blood red when you return. I think the only thing holding majority of them back is cowardice ( no fuku). You let them all loose with aka 47's and enough guts, you might be surprised. lol
Re: An Iraqi Throws A Shoe At President Bush by tharma(f): 8:56pm On Dec 15, 2008
congoshine:

[center]Another prude with a lovely keyboard ,but limited IQ ! cry cry[/center]

Forget about these mumu idiots that think na big english-grammer make person educated. When the highly, educated, academic and industrially intellectualy brainy, english speaking Nigerian when to the short legged, arm throwing, '419' copy-right, kung-fu chinese to design their satellite I wonder which grammer they used to explain to them
Re: An Iraqi Throws A Shoe At President Bush by MrCrackles(m): 8:58pm On Dec 15, 2008
Hez lucky he didnt get grilled and smoked alive

OR

even engulfed in a ferociously hot fire ball
!! cheesy undecided
Re: An Iraqi Throws A Shoe At President Bush by RichyBlacK(m): 9:39pm On Dec 15, 2008
Tayo-D:

@RichyBlack,
Of the 19 terrorists, 15 were Saudis. Of the 19 terrorists, 19 were muslims. Going by your "logic" then, the US would be justified to consider all muslims enemies? Talk about simplifying a very complex matter.

Well, if you're trying to justify Bush's invasion of Iraq with the Sept. 11 attacks then you're an infinite slowpoke! I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and hope you're not trying to justify the stupidity of your mentor!

Now, about the logic of my argument. If you don't understand an argument why not ask questions instead of marching down the wrong path. My reasoning was simple; if Bush and his henchmen were looking for nations to invade (not members of some religion to fight) then Saudi Arabia should have been next on the list after Afghanistan. My discourse was on the senselessness of invading Iraq for an attack she had absolutely nothing to do with! The argument was restricted to countries not religions.

However, you, in your consistent inability to understand minutiae, disregarded the restriction on nations and introduced religion as the new context. Following this kind of irresponsible and dangerous logic of yours, which fails to consider the context in which an argument is made, I quote you:

Of the 19 terrorists, 19 were muslims men. Going by your "logic" then, the US would be justified to consider all muslims men enemies . . . Talk about simplifying obfuscating a very complex simple matter."

Thank you.
Re: An Iraqi Throws A Shoe At President Bush by congoshine(m): 9:48pm On Dec 15, 2008
tharma:

Forget about these mumu idiots that think na big english-grammer make person educated. When the highly, educated, academic and industrially intellectualy brainy, english speaking Nigerian when to the short legged, arm throwing, '419' copy-right, kung-fu chinese to design their satellite I wonder which grammer they used to explain to them
Abi o . . . . . .
Re: An Iraqi Throws A Shoe At President Bush by bawomolo(m): 10:10pm On Dec 15, 2008
lol@shoe-ter
Re: An Iraqi Throws A Shoe At President Bush by TayoD1(m): 10:24pm On Dec 15, 2008
@RichyBlack,

Well, if you're trying to justify Bush's invasion of Iraq with the Sept. 11 attacks then you're an infinite slowpoke! I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and hope you're not trying to justify the stupidity of your mentor!
Even Bush never claimed he invaded Iraq because of 911. You will do well to stick to the facts.

Now, about the logic of my argument. If you don't understand an argument why not ask questions instead of marching down the wrong path. My reasoning was simple; if Bush and his henchmen were looking for nations to invade (not members of some religion to fight) then Saudi Arabia should have been next on the list after Afghanistan. My discourse was on the senselessness of invading Iraq for an attack she had absolutely nothing to do with! The argument was restricted to countries not religions.
It is not about looking for countires to invade. It is about fighting terrorism. Have you heard of the Bush doctrine? Perhaps, you need Palin to educate you a little bit on that  grin. Why Saudi? How many countires has Saudi invaded? How many of their own people have they killed? When did they gas their citizens? Please provide a logical explanation how Saudi should be next. We all know that terrorism isn't bound by any State boundaries. Institutions that support or show a tendency to support terrorism is what the US will fight.

However, you, in your consistent inability to understand minutiae, disregarded the restriction on nations and introduced religion as the new context. Following this kind of irresponsible and dangerous logic of yours, which fails to consider the context in which an argument is made, I quote you:
And what a slowpoke you are. The US had no beef with the country itself, but with the ruler - Saddam. They took him out and the Iraqis turned on themselves.  

Of the 19 terrorists, 19 were muslims men. Going by your "logic" then, the US would be justified to consider all muslims men enemies . . . Talk about simplifying obfuscating a very complex simple matter."
Your inability to think does not make you realise that there is one thing that binds all the terrorists together. That one thing is ideology. Ideology has nothing to do with sex or nationality, which is what you are claiming here. The unbroken cord that ties all these people together is the ideology provided by no other but Islam.

But like I said before, this is a complex problem. That islam is the ideology that propelled these guys to kill does not make all muslims terrorists. However, the reason for their alliance and common hatred for the West is Islam.  You might want to confirm your stupidity by claiming it is their country or their privates, but to a reasonable person out there, it is Islam.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

78-yr-old Granny Goes To School / President Mahama's Daughter's Letter Comforting Him For Losing / Which country on the African continent is most developed ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.