Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,901 members, 7,835,009 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:34 AM

Buhari: A Need To End Mediocrity And Quota System. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari: A Need To End Mediocrity And Quota System. (4788 Views)

Ben Murray-Bruce's Tweets About Quota System (Screenshot) / Salamatu Umar In Job Racketeering, Quota Manipulation - Sahara Reporters / Massive Fraud In Nigeria N117billion Rice Import Quota Scheme - Premuim Times (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari: A Need To End Mediocrity And Quota System. by Nobody: 10:17am On Jan 05, 2015
The northenization agenda was first carried out unopposed by the Tafa Belawa govt. which has since allowed mediocres through the back door.

If not for this absurd system that promotes mediocrity and laziness by the north, our Nation won't have been plagued with the likes of Buhari who found his way into the military top brass and eventually overthrew a civillian elected govt which saw Nigeria witness its lowest point second only to Abachs govt. if anything at all Abacha's govt was far better than the voodoo economics of Buhari.

The northernizatoon agenda is waxing stronger today especially in the civil service, where northerners who are given admission into the university with their incredibly ridiculous low jamb scores will eventually graduate with a university degree in a low tier northern university in Islamic studies will then get employment in their state civil service commissions.

Within few years they will be rapidly promoted to senior positions (level 12 and above) and when their politician god father gets position they will use the opportunity to cross over to the federal civil service and from there is smooth sailing to managerial positions.

After a couple of years, the individual will seek political office in the National assembly from there he will be considered for ministerial positions. After a while he will then seek elective position as governor of his state. Not satisfied you will hear him declaring for the sit of the presidency.

This is how they have it good.

11 Likes

Re: Buhari: A Need To End Mediocrity And Quota System. by Change2015(m): 10:24am On Jan 05, 2015
Logic fail. If there is a quota system did any region not get their share? You understand the meaning of quota, ko?

3 Likes

Re: Buhari: A Need To End Mediocrity And Quota System. by LRNZH(m): 10:36am On Jan 05, 2015
Change2015:
Logic fail. If there is a quota system did any region not get their share? You understand the meaning of quota, ko?

I totally agree with you.

Quota means equitable number of positions or resource allocation for each geopolitical zone and ethnic identity.
It is different from Affirmative action which is what the OP is implying here. Affirmative action is reducing the threshold needed for a certain disadvantaged group of people to qualify for a position or resource allocation with less qualifications.

That said, I do not like Quota system but if it is what works for Nigeria's unity then so be it.

Also, GMB is not necessarily an advocate of quota system per se. Otherwise, Dora Akunyili (of blessed memory) wouldn't have been what she became.

GMB 2015 for Equity

5 Likes

Re: Buhari: A Need To End Mediocrity And Quota System. by Change2015(m): 10:52am On Jan 05, 2015
LRNZH:

Quota means equitable number of positions or resource allocation for each geopolitical zone and ethnic identity.
It is different from Affirmative action which is what the OP is implying here. Affirmative action is reducing the threshold needed for a certain disadvantaged group of people to qualify for a position or resource allocation with less qualifications.

That said, I do not like Quota system but if it is what works for Nigeria's unity then so be it.

Also, GMB is not necessarily an advocate of quota system per se. Otherwise, Dora Akunyili (of blessed memory) wouldn't have been what she became.

GMB 2015 for Equity

My brother, I understand and really do not like the quota system but I understand it's purpose. I was just wondering how he could mention quota and still accuse a section of the country of dominating the system. He can't have it both ways.
Re: Buhari: A Need To End Mediocrity And Quota System. by LRNZH(m): 11:00am On Jan 05, 2015
Change2015:

My brother, I understand and really do not like the quota system but I understand it's purpose. I was just wondering how he could mention quota and still accuse a section of the country of dominating the system. He can't have it both ways.

Sorry if it did not come out that way.
I was buttressing your assertion

1 Like

Re: Buhari: A Need To End Mediocrity And Quota System. by Simitrendy: 11:13am On Jan 05, 2015
Thats ur own view ma own is GMB-OSINBAJO2015

1 Like

Re: Buhari: A Need To End Mediocrity And Quota System. by Change2015(m): 11:22am On Jan 05, 2015
LRNZH:

Sorry if it did not come out that way.
I was buttressing your assertion

We have a date with history on February 14. Keep mobilising and challenging all their lies. Better days are coming, once Jonathan is thrown out.

#change

1 Like

Re: Buhari: A Need To End Mediocrity And Quota System. by Nobody: 11:27am On Jan 05, 2015
Change2015:

The quota system mandates that all regions must be represented irrespective of if any particular region could not meet the laid down prerequisite condition.

For example, admissions into unity school adopt the quota system which will keep a slot for northerners irrespective of their score in the common entrance meaning that a child from Enugu will have a cut off mark of 300 as against somebody from Yobe who will have to meet a cut off just above 10.

What this means a northern child has it easier to get admission into a unity school.

8 Likes

Re: Buhari: A Need To End Mediocrity And Quota System. by Nobody: 11:28am On Jan 05, 2015
Change2015:

We have a date with history on February 14. Keep mobilising and challenging all their lies. Better days are coming, once Jonathan is thrown out.

#change

Ignorance

2 Likes

Re: Buhari: A Need To End Mediocrity And Quota System. by Nobody: 11:44am On Jan 05, 2015
Change2015:

The quota makes it difficult for the average southerner to make it into the civil service and military while the north can easily get a slot based on very low academic requirement placed on them.

You are here defending rubish on the Internet while your mates from the north are being positioned to be leaders tomorrow.

I bet most of you here served in the north as teachers in remote areas which you could not wait to leave but your northern counterparts were placed in corporate headquarters in the south were after completion they were retained while you roamed the streets looking for jobs after completion of your service.

Keep deciding yourselves. The change you want is to return Nigeria to a mediocre level

7 Likes

Re: Buhari: A Need To End Mediocrity And Quota System. by Djicemob: 11:55am On Jan 05, 2015
LRNZH:

I totally agree with you.

GMB 2015 for Equity
You are wrong,quota is anything but equitable.The shouldnt be used in the same sentence.It doesnt necessarily mean equal allocation of anything.The guy you quoted is right but you went another direction trying to butress his point.

Quota
noun (plural quotas)
◆A proportional part or share; the share or proportion assigned to each in a division.
◆A prescribed number or percentage that may serve as, for example, a maximum, a minimum, or a goal.
◆business economics A restriction on the import of something to a specific quantity.
synonyms
♦ (proportional part) allocation, allotment, apportionment, quotum

2 Likes

Re: Buhari: A Need To End Mediocrity And Quota System. by Nobody: 11:55am On Jan 05, 2015

The picture above is for hajj pilgrims from Abuja being airlifted to Mecca.

Are Fulanis now claiming Abuja?

This is how the Fulani Hausas claimed indigenes of virtually all the northern states in order to dominate the military.

This is how Abacha who is originally from Borno claimed Kano after that slot was exhausted.

1 Like

Re: Buhari: A Need To End Mediocrity And Quota System. by Change2015(m): 12:18pm On Jan 05, 2015
PvtParts:

The quota makes it difficult for the average southerner to make it into the civil service and military while the north can easily get a slot based on very low academic requirement placed on them.

You are here defending rubish on the Internet while your mates from the north are being positioned to be leaders tomorrow.

I bet most of you here served in the north as teachers in remote areas which you could not wait to leave but your northern counterparts were placed in corporate headquarters in the south were after completion they were retained while you roamed the streets looking for jobs after completion of your service.

Keep deciding yourselves. The change you want is to return Nigeria to a mediocre level

You are simply wrong. Quota system only applies to federal institutions. If the required numbers are filled for every region, how does another region take out of your slot/quota? How can anyone dominate in a quota system?
The nysc also has the mission of exposing Nigerians to different places and cultures, and that is a good unity building measure. Your argument is not made.
Re: Buhari: A Need To End Mediocrity And Quota System. by Change2015(m): 12:20pm On Jan 05, 2015
PvtParts:

Ignorance

Stop looking in the mirror!
Re: Buhari: A Need To End Mediocrity And Quota System. by LRNZH(m): 12:21pm On Jan 05, 2015
PvtParts:

The picture above is for hajj pilgrims from Abuja being airlifted to Mecca.

Are Fulanis now claiming Abuja?

This is how the Fulani Hausas claimed indigenes of virtually all the northern states in order to dominate the military.

This is how Abacha who is originally from Borno claimed Kano after that slot was exhausted.

GMB, last week, just asked that GEJ should stop sponsoring pilgrimage.

OBJ and GEJ ...are from the South. What have they done about this?

4 Likes

Re: Buhari: A Need To End Mediocrity And Quota System. by Nobody: 12:25pm On Jan 05, 2015
Change2015:

You are simply wrong. Quota system only applies to federal institutions. If the required numbers are filled for every region, how does another region take out of your slot/quota? How can anyone dominate in a quota system?
The nysc also has the mission of exposing Nigerians to different places and cultures, and that is a good unity building measure. Your argument is not made.

The quota system guarantees a slot irrespective of if the northern candidates meet the prerequisite qualification.

Can you understand that?

2 Likes

Re: Buhari: A Need To End Mediocrity And Quota System. by Change2015(m): 12:25pm On Jan 05, 2015
PvtParts:

The quota system mandates that all regions must be represented irrespective of if any particular region could not meet the laid down prerequisite condition.

For example, admissions into unity school adopt the quota system which will keep a slot for northerners irrespective of their score in the common entrance meaning that a child from Enugu will have a cut off mark of 300 as against somebody from Yobe who will have to meet a cut off just above 10.

What this means a northern child has it easier to get admission into a unity school.

They may have easier access in this example, but my point remains this, if they fill the numbers for their region, how does that impact the numbers of another region? The quota system has never pretended to be about quality.
Re: Buhari: A Need To End Mediocrity And Quota System. by Nobody: 12:26pm On Jan 05, 2015
LRNZH:

OBJ and GEJ ...are from the South. Ehat hae they done about this?

Citation required!

3 Likes

Re: Buhari: A Need To End Mediocrity And Quota System. by LRNZH(m): 12:26pm On Jan 05, 2015
Djicemob:
You are wrong,quota is anything but equitable.The shouldnt be used in the same sentence.It doesnt necessarily mean equal allocation of anything.The guy you quoted is right but you went another direction trying to butress his point.

Quota
noun (plural quotas)
◆A proportional part or share; the share or proportion assigned to each in a division.
◆A prescribed number or percentage that may serve as, for example, a maximum, a minimum, or a goal.
◆business economics A restriction on the import of something to a specific quantity.
synonyms
♦ (proportional part) allocation, allotment, apportionment, quotum

The word equitable is your problem right?
Equity is a very subjective word. What you find equitable may not appear so to another person.

Some folks find the quota system, like power rotation between the North and the South equitable.
Some do not. They prefer a strictly merit based system.

Equity means different things to different people.
I hope I have helped.

1 Like

Re: Buhari: A Need To End Mediocrity And Quota System. by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jan 05, 2015
Change2015:

They may have easier access in this example, but my point remains this, if they fill the numbers for their region, how does that impact the numbers of another region? The quota system has never pretended to be about quality.

They don't need to strive or compete for it and whatever qualification they have gives them a spot.

Is your IQ turned off?

3 Likes

Re: Buhari: A Need To End Mediocrity And Quota System. by LRNZH(m): 12:29pm On Jan 05, 2015
LRNZH:

OBJ and GEJ ...are from the South. What have they done about this?

PvtParts:

Citation required!

Here: https://www.nairaland.com/2064366/video-buhari-decries-fg-spending
It comes with a video to boot

1 Like

Re: Buhari: A Need To End Mediocrity And Quota System. by Nobody: 12:31pm On Jan 05, 2015
LRNZH:

Here: https://www.nairaland.com/2064366/video-buhari-decries-fg-spending
It comes with a video to boot

A campaign promise is not equal to an actual admins treatise policy.

Did he stop it when he was head of state or is he referring to the Christian pilgrimage only?

Besides we are not talking of hajj but mediocre north.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari: A Need To End Mediocrity And Quota System. by Change2015(m): 12:34pm On Jan 05, 2015
PvtParts:

They don't need to strive or compete for it and whatever qualification they have gives them a spot.

Is your IQ turned off?

You can make your argument without insults, if you have an argument. If Gombe has 500 students quota and Anambra has 500 what is Gombe taking from anambra quota-wise. However they fill that number is their issue, and how Anambra fills it's slot is its own issue. It is about getting balanced numbers/representation, not quality.
Re: Buhari: A Need To End Mediocrity And Quota System. by LRNZH(m): 12:38pm On Jan 05, 2015
PvtParts:

A campaign promise is not equal to an actual admins treatise policy.

Did he stop it when he was head of state or is he referring to the Christian pilgrimage only?

Besides we are not talking of hajj but mediocre north.

You brought up the Hajj argument. I showed you GMB's stance on it. You were not patient to go through the link. GMB expressly stated that Hajj is not gov't business.
The more important question of why recent PDP Southern Presidents did nothing about it you have not responded.

Campaign promise? It is akin to GEJ saying that he will take oil installations away from militants by removing Tompolo etc from NIMASA. He dare not say that before the elections.

GMB dares talk about Hajj because he means it even if it will cost him some votes.

QED.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari: A Need To End Mediocrity And Quota System. by Nobody: 12:39pm On Jan 05, 2015
Change2015:

You can make your argument without insults, if you have an argument. If Gombe has 500 students quota and Anambra has 500 what is Gombe taking from anambra quota-wise. However they fill that number is their issue, and how Anambra fills it's slot is its own issue. It is about getting balanced numbers/representation, not quality.

The quota system is not done in fairness. If Gombe and Anambra have the same slots and the same cut off mark that will be ok but a situation whereby the prerequisite qualifications and cut off mark make it easier for an applicant from Gombe promotes mediocrity.

This is why basic education is not given the neccessary attention by their northern governors since whatever they score will still ensure they get placement.

Do you now understand how the system promotes mediocrity and laziness

1 Like

Re: Buhari: A Need To End Mediocrity And Quota System. by Nobody: 12:41pm On Jan 05, 2015
LRNZH:

You brought up the Hajj argument. I showed you GMB's stance on it. You were not patient to go through the link. GMB expressly stated that Hajj is not gov't business.
The more important question of why recent PDP Southern Presidents did nothing about it you have not responded.

Campaign promise? It is akin to GEJ saying that he will take oil installations away from militants by removing Tompolo etc from NIMASA. He dare not.

GMB dares say it because he means it even if it will cost him some votes.

QED.

I brought it up within the context of how the Hausa Fulanis abuse northern franchise by claiming any state they feel to gain subsidy or position.
Re: Buhari: A Need To End Mediocrity And Quota System. by Change2015(m): 12:25am On Jan 06, 2015
PvtParts:

The quota system is not done in fairness. If Gombe and Anambra have the same slots and the same cut off mark that will be ok but a situation whereby the prerequisite qualifications and cut off mark make it easier for an applicant from Gombe promotes mediocrity.

This is why basic education is not given the neccessary attention by their northern governors since whatever they score will still ensure they get placement.

Do you now understand how the system promotes mediocrity and laziness

I know the problems with the quota system, but at the end of the day, if you get your quota filled, why get embittered about how others fill theirs? Quality was not part of that discussion so conflating the two issues here is a distraction. The same system operates within States, so why is the anger usually directed northwards? Perhaps I will rephrase, the quota system is about a semblance of numerical parity (proportional) and quality issues are not especially considered.
Re: Buhari: A Need To End Mediocrity And Quota System. by eleven(m): 1:06am On Jan 06, 2015
Quota system is one of the major challenges to our development as a Nation. A system that sacrifices hardwork for mediocrity. If you have never been a victim of quota system, you might not really understand the negative implications.

Thrice I have personally experienced the downside of quota system and have seen some Southern and Western Nigerians wish they were from the North; heard some even claim Northern origin just to get easy access into Federal civil service and the Military though can't verify that claim.

Quota system promotes inequality. A system that's a gives 180 marks as cut off to children from the South/West/East and give as low as 2 marks to children from the North for same admission into Federal schools in the same year does not encourage hardwork/equal rights but encourages laziness. Thanks to Olisa Agbakoba for fighting this policy.

If for anything Quota system has been counter productive to the Northern region, a region it aims to protect & develop, unfortunately reverse is the case.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari: A Need To End Mediocrity And Quota System. by Change2015(m): 1:13am On Jan 06, 2015
Now let's complain about how the quota system has been violated to favour the south East and south south, under Jonathan.
https://www.nairaland.com/2078102/illiteracy-tribalism-south-east-south-south-hijack

Facts have emerged that the Federal Government under the leadership of President Ebele Goodluck has grossly violated the federal character principle by appointing large chunk of citizens of the Southeast(SE) and South-south(SS) zones as heads of agencies and parastatals responsible for the financial and economic fate of Nigeria.

This is coming just as the Federal Character Commission(FCC) admitted its incapacity to stop the tide due to logistic constraints.

Documents obtained by Peoples Daily Weekend reveal that at the head of the pack is the Minister of Finance and Economy, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, an Ibo from Delta state.

Corollary to her position runs a long list of appointees to parastatals and agencies dominated by South-East and South-south zones to the huge detriment of other zones.

For instance, in a list marked “Strategic Public Sector Finance/Economy Leaders, March 2014” numbering 26 appointees, 14 heads of strategic agencies all hail from the Ibo-speaking South-East zone, three from South-south, three from South-west(SW), three from North-central(NC), two from North-west (NW)and one from the North-east(NE).

Besides Prof. Nwanze Okidegbe, the chief economic adviser to the President, heads of the Nigeria Sovereign Investment Authority, Nigeria Stock Exchange, Securities and Exchange Commission, Assets Management Company of Nigeria, Investment and Securities Tribunal, National Pension Commission(PENCOM),Bureau of Public Procurement, Debt Management Office, Fiscal Responsibility Commission, Revenue Mobilisation and Fiscal Commission; National Salaries, Income and Wages Commission and Nigeria Export Processing Zones Authority are all indigenes of the SE.

The SS heads the Budget Office, Bank of Industry while the third, Mr Godwin Emefiele is already a Central Bank of Nigeria Governor- designate following the suspension of current holder, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi. The SW hold offices of the National Insurance Commission, Accountant-General and Infrastructure Bank. The NC has the Auditor-General, Nigerian Export/Import Bank and Bank of Agricuture; the NW with Nigeria Customs Service and the Nigeria Deposit Insurance Corporation while the NE has only the Federal Mortgage Bank. In the list, the headship of the Federal Inland Revenue Service is yet to be appointed probably due to the concern raised by the Senate over balance in appointments (see lists on page 9 for details).

Another expanded list of 65 names including non-finance and economic slots, summarises the dominance of the SE particularly by about 50 percent followed by the SS, a not too significant percentage for the SW while the entire North is grudgingly left with the rest.

Peoples Daily Weekend also observes that the moment a position is left by a Northerner through retirement, death or any other cause, most replacement nominees sent to the National Assembly would immediately come from the President’s zone or the SE.

Senators also raised this point recently when the list of new CBN non-executive Board members was released.

Senators were sharply divided along geo-political lines in a June 27,2013 plenary over the lack of observance of the federal character principle in federal appointments by President Goodluck Jonathan.

Many senators argued that President Jonathan’s nominations did not adhere to the principles of federal character as enshrined in Section 14 (3) of the 1999 Constitution (as amended).

Senators expressed reservations about the president’s nominations during confirmation of board appointments into the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Judicial Service Commission (JSC).

Senate President David Mark equally expressed reservations about the matter. Although he described the reservations of his colleagues as ‘healthy’, Mark said the day of reckoning would soon come.

Mark warned, however, that federal character could not be the ‘end of it all’ at the expense of merit in appointment of Nigerians into government ministries, departments and agencies (MDAs).

He cautioned that the issue of federal character should not be overstretched.

Senators were sharply divided over the confirmation of the appointment of four non-executive members of the board of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).

They are Muhammad Musa Kafarati (North-East), Collons Chike Chikeluba (South-East), Adaba Anthony Adeiza (North-Central) and Ayuli Jemide (South-South).

Although they were eventually confirmed, senators insisted that the federal character principle, as enshrined in the constitution, must be followed in all appointments.

Senate Minority Whip, Ganiyu Solomon observed that since the South-West was not represented in the list of those nominated for appointments, the remaining slot should be reserved for the zone in the interest of equity and fair play..…
Re: Buhari: A Need To End Mediocrity And Quota System. by Rawani: 4:35am On Jan 06, 2015
What the OP wants is an opportunity to dominate due to the variation in the levels of educational penetration in the different regions. Luckily the midwives of Nigeria foresaw this tendency for skewed representation in the affairs of this country in the long run, and established the quota system.

Before talking about quality, consider the spate of educational malpractices rampant in the region that complains about quota system the most. If Uche can pay N10k to get a score of 250 in the absence of the quota system, do you think Adamu will ever gain admission into any of our citadels of learning?
Re: Buhari: A Need To End Mediocrity And Quota System. by meccuno: 6:24am On Jan 06, 2015
Rawani:
What the OP wants is an opportunity to dominate due to the variation in the levels of educational penetration in the different regions. Luckily the midwives of Nigeria foresaw this tendency for skewed representation in the affairs of this country in the long run, and established the quota system.

Before talking about quality, consider the spate of educational malpractices rampant in the region that complains about quota system the most. If Uche can pay N10k to get a score of 250 in the absence of the quota system, do you think Adamu will ever gain admission into any of our citadels of learning?
this your argument doesn't hold water at all.........why no make the cut off mark for the south to be 10 and the North to be 250 let's see how well we would enjoy the quota system.....

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Buhari Destroyed Nigeria Live On AIT / Facts) What An Average Igbo Man And Jose Mourinho Have In Common / Buhari Sends Full Ministerial List To Saraki From New York (AUTHENTIC) !!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.