Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,443 members, 7,812,333 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:50 AM

Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! (46274 Views)

Why Are There Many Pregnant Brides Nowadays? / A Thread For 2016 Brides and Grooms To Be / A No Reception Wedding: How Feasible? Come In, Let's Discuss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by Nobody: 10:59am On Mar 09, 2015
ladynice:
pls does d waist trainer flattene tummy & pls I dont knw hw 2 dance I want 2 learn how 2 dance b4 july pls can anybody help me out wit training I leave in Zaria
According to what i have heard and read online, it does flatten tommy... The waist trainer we are talking about here is something you wear on your tommy/waist which helps put your body in shape... It's something close to a girdle but quite different. i think it's sold at about 20k...
Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by ladynice: 8:55pm On Mar 09, 2015
thanks marvelousG pls wat about dancing any idea
Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by Pweetiebabe(f): 10:13am On Mar 10, 2015
ladynice:
maybe you should try an enroll for a dancing class....

1 Like

Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by ladynice: 2:33pm On Mar 10, 2015
thanks pweetie bt I dont knw were 2 enroll in my area
Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by lawvlypearl(f): 1:44pm On Mar 11, 2015
Good afternoon beautiful people....pls where can I rent a lovely wedding gown in lagos?
&
would you prefer to rent,sew or buy your wedding dress?
Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by Pweetiebabe(f): 2:51pm On Mar 11, 2015
lawvlypearl:
Good afternoon beautiful people....pls where can I rent a lovely wedding gown in lagos?
&
would you prefer to rent,sew or buy your wedding dress?
I bought my wedding gown cos to me its less stressful, though i had lots of issues deciding the style i wanted..... Dont like renting of gown

1 Like

Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by lawvlypearl(f): 3:11pm On Mar 11, 2015
Pweetiebabe:
I bought my wedding gown cos to me its less stressful, though i had lots of issues deciding the style i wanted..... Dont like renting of gown

What if I'm on a budget? And to buy exceeds it?
Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by Nobody: 3:55pm On Mar 11, 2015
ladynice:
You can enrol in a dancing school... For me, YouTube videos all the way cheesy cheesy...sekem sekem sekem grin grin
Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by Ladybe: 7:08pm On Mar 11, 2015
Hi All,

Thanks for this thread.
My case is a bit different o.
We have chosen date - May 16 but up till now nothing has been done.
We both work in different cities / very sensitive jobs and intend to wed in a different city too cos that's where my family is.
His family are also in a different city.

I have exams to face between this month end to April end. Don't even know what to do.

Ideas pls
Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by lawvlypearl(f): 8:06pm On Mar 11, 2015
Ladybe:
Hi All,

Thanks for this thread.
We both work in different cities / very sensitive jobs and intend to wed in a different city too cos that's where my family is.

I have exams to face between this month end to April end. Don't even know what to do.

Ideas pls

That's pretty intense but no worries, God is in control. I think you should make use of the list of things to get done(check previous pages) and assign a trusted friend or sibling to do the run around for you while working with your budget, involve your parent since you're having it where they stay,they should know where to go&who to meet. The thread is so helpful, pple will drop more useful tips soon. Happy married life in advance.
Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by Ladybe: 8:38pm On Mar 11, 2015
I
lawvlypearl:

That's pretty intense but no worries, God is in control. I think you should make use of the list of things to get done(check previous pages) and assign a trusted friend or sibling to do the run around for you while working with your budget, involve your parent since you're having it where they stay,they should know where to go&who to meet. The thread is so helpful, pple will drop more useful tips soon. Happy married life in advance.

I have the list of things already.
Parents are no more.
Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by lawvlypearl(f): 10:12am On Mar 12, 2015
Ladybe:
I

I have the list of things already.
Parents are no more.

Awww, so sorry to hear that, cousins, friends nko?
Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by Nobody: 10:28am On Mar 12, 2015
Ladybe:
Hi All,

Thanks for this thread.

Ideas pls
This is just same case with me... we work in diff states and both parents in diff places too but we have almost got everything done...

Before i advice, is yours white wedding or trad?.. btw, do you plan to still leave apart after wedding?
Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by Ladybe: 11:53am On Mar 12, 2015
lawvlypearl:

Awww, so sorry to hear that, cousins, friends nko?

I have a cousin that would help cordinate the vendors and all but that would be after I have met with them myself.

MarvellousGod:
This is just same case with me... we work in diff states and both parents in diff places too but we have almost got everything done...
Before i advice, is yours white wedding or trad?.. btw, do you plan to still leave apart after wedding?

We are planning for both trad and white.

For the mean time, we would still live apart though he is working for transfer.
Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by Pweetiebabe(f): 12:04pm On Mar 12, 2015
lawvlypearl:

I understand sweerie u but u can still get lovely and affordable gowns
Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by Nobody: 1:36pm On Mar 12, 2015
Ladybe:

We are planning for both trad and white.

For the mean time, we would still live apart though he is working for transfer.
Ohh, i just read your parents are no more so my advice may not be feasible...

In my own case(trad marriage), we hired a stylist who's taking care of all our traditional attires.
If you are Igbo, you can buy your ashebi clothes and start sending to people involved.
My mum is taking care of food
Then someone introduced me to a decorator/cake maker.
My fiance is taking care of photography/video, MC, DJ et al
My bro is taking care of drinks
My friend is doing my make up

Just divide the labour since you are so busy.. You really have to start now cos it's close, less than 2 months to go.. have you chosen wedding gown and stuffs?? Write down everything that needs to be done, then go through it one after the other deciding how to go about each... All the best

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by Ladybe: 2:41pm On Mar 12, 2015
MarvellousGod:
Ohh, i just read your parents are no more so my advice may not be feasible...
In my own case(trad marriage), we hired a stylist who's taking care of all our traditional attires.
If you are Igbo, you can buy your ashebi clothes and start sending to people involved.
My mum is taking care of food
Then someone introduced me to a decorator/cake maker.
My fiance is taking care of photography/video, MC, DJ et al
My bro is taking care of drinks
My friend is doing my make up
Just divide the labour since you are so busy.. You really have to start now cos it's close, less than 2 months to go.. have you chosen wedding gown and stuffs?? Write down everything that needs to be done, then go through it one after the other deciding how to go about each... All the best

Thanks.

That's a very good idea.

Write everything I need and delegate to someone(trusted).
Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by Nobody: 4:12pm On Mar 12, 2015
Ladybe:

Thanks.

That's a very good idea.

Write everything I need and delegate to someone(trusted).
Yeah, all the best...
Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by Onegai(f): 11:23am On Mar 13, 2015
Nigerian Weddings are something else. May I share some insight into what you should and shouldn't do

Make a Budget

Once you two have decided to marry, sit down and list out what you need and how much you're willing to pay for it. That way, you can control spending. e.g

Bridal clothes N10,000
Hall N100,000
Food N50,000
etc. It will check you from overspending because every vendor you meet out there will do their best to urge you to go above your budget. If your gown is budgeted at N75,000, INSIST ON FINDING A GOWN IN THAT RANGE OR CHEAPER. Same with makeup, if your budget is N25, 000 stop wasting your time, his/her time and saliva trying to beat a N40, 000 makeup artist down. They won't budge so better look for something in your price range from the get-go (I don't punish myself looking at a designer's website or Instagram page when I can't afford it).

Negotiate Your cake. Yes you want that 7 layer amazement but can you afford it? Nope, order 3 layers and ask your baker to use dummy. Then ask
for a price reduction based on that (since she's not baking 7 cakes it should be cheaper).

Your hall should be somewhere that has parking and security. Especially if you're in Lagos. I don't want to attend your reception and lose my phone.

Add 50 extra guests to every list you make. Nigerians will carry their friends, cousins and all sorts to your wedding and be upset if they don't eat, not minding if the IV said "Mrs Uche Toyin" only not Mrs Uche Toyin and co.

1 month to your wedding is not the time for you to start changing your skincare or diet. I've seen bride's say "oh I'm gonna look lighter on my wedding day". Start 3 months in advance so if you react you have enough time to heal your skin.

Let your family know your budget and be careful of family adding their own expenses to it. My mum went and ordered my traditional clothes. I swear they cost N250,000 (just one outfit, unsewn, no jewelry or shoes or gele added!!) then told hubby and I to please repay her. I sharply negotiated and said I would return the wrappers back to her (since it was george) afterwards, borrow gele and purse from her and pay for the laces. Let your family know "omo that is beautiful, but I cannot afford it, unless you are gifting it to me". Same thing happaaened with my hall (my family was picking a hall of N1.5mil, I quickly redirected them to somewhere cheaper before they asked us to pay).

Be careful of friends or aunties who know someone that can do something e.g "I know a decorator, I know a wedding planner, I know a DJ" etc. Hate to break it to you but those people who come recommended by your friends will rarely be cheaper than professional strangers (the family friend's printer was more expensive than the wedding store I approached) and even worse if they mess up, you can't vex too much (because they came recommended by family). I'd rather hire a professional wedding vendor, negotiate and pay them and be able to dictate to my heart's delight. I've been priviledged to meet some topnotch people in the wedding industry so knew whom I wanted to do want before I even got engaged.

Watch out for unnecessary expenses

My hubby wanted champagne (the good stuff, not Moet) plus 3 bottles of wine on each table at the reception. I made him see it was unnecessary, limit the fancy stuff to those who will gift you well and spray you nicely, not that uncle and his 10 kids you only see during family occassions when there's food. You have to be strong-minded and say "NO THIS IS A WASTE".

OTHER SOURCES OF WASTE are:

Bridal shoes: please buy silver shoes that you will wear a million times after.

Jewelry: rather than buy, I went to a relative's store and borrowed a few pieces, to return the next day. Who go know?? Same with your veil and if someone has married recently and they used fake flower bouquet and kept it, swallow your pride and ask them for it. Buy a can of Spray paint for N350 and spray it your wedding colours or nicer pastel colours. Voila, it's new.

Gown: especially if you're planning on changing during the reception, abeg make one gown cheap. Even better, rent the white gown.

Drinks: please limit the fancy stuff to your VIP. Be real, your friends ain't gonna spray you or gift you jack (that's if they even buy asoebi). Save that nice wine for the uncle who will cut you a N200,000 cheque.

Decorator: No, you don't need chivari chairs, you don't need your name on a centre rug lining the walkway, you don't need a specially decorated table for your bridal train, cut it out of your budget. Even mood lights, ask for fewer lights to be used and reduce your budget. Be strong-willed.

Video: How many of you have watched a wedding video recently? So why are you paying for it??

Music: If I pay a DJ more than N50,000, that's a waste. I've seen N20,000 DJ who did a better job than some MAC-wielding N150,000 DJ.

MC: my hubby thought a fancy MC would make the night more interesting. I reminded him that he couldn't remember the jokes Ali Baba cracked a few months ago at an event, so why spend so much on something he may not remember the specifics of, just that he will say "I think I remember the guy was funny"?

Wedding IVs and Programmes: the only people who will keep them after are your mum, his mum and parents of unmarried kids. Everyone else will fling them. At the wedding store I went to, the saleslady kept insisting "I think you deserve N400 per IV, it's not too much for you" I thanked her for her flattery and said N40,000 for 200 or more IVs was my budget and if I couldn't get cheaper, I would send out nicely printed letters and take my business away from her. She stopped her nonsense immediately. My mum wanted pictures of us in the IV, I stopped it (totally unnecessary and not classy).

WHAT YOU SHOULD SPEND ON

Photography: after your gown cost N180,000, you now hire N40,000 photog who shoots nonsense and the beauty of your gown is lost

Food: If you don't feed people (and feed them on-time) they will sit down and watch you whilst you dance. No spraying money. Do you want that?

Music: if your crowd is Yoruba, hire a band. You will enjoy it more. Good music means a happier crowd.

Wedding Coordinators: mine was a straightfaced man. So if he said "please sit down drinks are coming", people felt ashamed to be making a fuss. Plus he had assistant wedding coordinators (I don't like ushers, they are usually uni girls who have no courage to be strong and get overruled by aunties). He also called all the vendors beforehand and the 2 mothers and gave them instructions. Everyone else he ignored that day.

There is a vendor for every budget. If the vendor you are speaking to keeps saying "I can't do this for your budget" don't negotiate, thank them and go away to find a vendor in your budget.

Remember there is Life after Wedding. Any monetary gifts you receive during wedding planning, I recommend putting it in your savings account and don't say "oh now that I have extra, let me add to my budget".

Be firm. Have fun!

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by vickilafab(f): 1:06pm On Mar 13, 2015
Ladybe:
Hi All,

Thanks for this thread.

Ideas pls
save urself the headache and get a wedding planner. that's just the best in this situation.

2 Likes

Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by Pweetiebabe(f): 1:21pm On Mar 13, 2015
Onegai:
Nigerian Weddings are something else. May I share some insight into what you should and shouldn't do

Make a Budget

Once you two have decided to marry, sit down and list out what you need and how much you're willing to pay for it. That way, you can control spending. e.g

Bridal clothes N10,000
Hall N100,000
Food N50,000
etc. It will check you from overspending because every vendor you meet out there will do their best to urge you to go above your budget. If your gown is budgeted at N75,000, INSIST ON FINDING A GOWN IN THAT RANGE OR CHEAPER. Same with makeup, if your budget is N25, 000 stop wasting your time, his/her time and saliva trying to beat a N40, 000 makeup artist down. They won't budge so better look for something in your price range from the get-go (I don't punish myself looking at a designer's website or Instagram page when I can't afford it).

Negotiate Your cake. Yes you want that 7 layer amazement but can you afford it? Nope, order 3 layers and ask your baker to use dummy. Then ask
for a price reduction based on that (since she's not baking 7 cakes it should be cheaper).

Your hall should be somewhere that has parking and security. Especially if you're in Lagos. I don't want to attend your reception and lose my phone.

Add 50 extra guests to every list you make. Nigerians will carry their friends, cousins and all sorts to your wedding and be upset if they don't eat, not minding if the IV said "Mrs Uche Toyin" only not Mrs Uche Toyin and co.

1 month to your wedding is not the time for you to start changing your skincare or diet. I've seen bride's say "oh I'm gonna look lighter on my wedding day". Start 3 months in advance so if you react you have enough time to heal your skin.

Let your family know your budget and be careful of family adding their own expenses to it. My mum went and ordered my traditional clothes. I swear they cost N250,000 (just one outfit, unsewn, no jewelry or shoes or gele added!!) then told hubby and I to please repay her. I sharply negotiated and said I would return the wrappers back to her (since it was george) afterwards, borrow gele and purse from her and pay for the laces. Let your family know "omo that is beautiful, but I cannot afford it, unless you are gifting it to me". Same thing happaaened with my hall (my family was picking a hall of N1.5mil, I quickly redirected them to somewhere cheaper before they asked us to pay).

Be careful of friends or aunties who know someone that can do something e.g "I know a decorator, I know a wedding planner, I know a DJ" etc. Hate to break it to you but those people who come recommended by your friends will rarely be cheaper than professional strangers (the family friend's printer was more expensive than the wedding store I approached) and even worse if they mess up, you can't vex too much (because they came recommended by family). I'd rather hire a professional wedding vendor, negotiate and pay them and be able to dictate to my heart's delight. I've been priviledged to meet some topnotch people in the wedding industry so knew whom I wanted to do want before I even got engaged.

Watch out for unnecessary expenses

My hubby wanted champagne (the good stuff, not Moet) plus 3 bottles of wine on each table at the reception. I made him see it was unnecessary, limit the fancy stuff to those who will gift you well and spray you nicely, not that uncle and his 10 kids you only see during family occassions when there's food. You have to be strong-minded and say "NO THIS IS A WASTE".

OTHER SOURCES OF WASTE are:

Bridal shoes: please buy silver shoes that you will wear a million times after.

Jewelry: rather than buy, I went to a relative's store and borrowed a few pieces, to return the next day. Who go know?? Same with your veil and if someone has married recently and they used fake flower bouquet and kept it, swallow your pride and ask them for it. Buy a can of Spray paint for N350 and spray it your wedding colours or nicer pastel colours. Voila, it's new.

Gown: especially if you're planning on changing during the reception, abeg make one gown cheap. Even better, rent the white gown.

Drinks: please limit the fancy stuff to your VIP. Be real, your friends ain't gonna spray you or gift you jack (that's if they even buy asoebi). Save that nice wine for the uncle who will cut you a N200,000 cheque.

Decorator: No, you don't need chivari chairs, you don't need your name on a centre rug lining the walkway, you don't need a specially decorated table for your bridal train, cut it out of your budget. Even mood lights, ask for fewer lights to be used and reduce your budget. Be strong-willed.

Video: How many of you have watched a wedding video recently? So why are you paying for it??

Music: If I pay a DJ more than N50,000, that's a waste. I've seen N20,000 DJ who did a better job than some MAC-wielding N150,000 DJ.

MC: my hubby thought a fancy MC would make the night more interesting. I reminded him that he couldn't remember the jokes Ali Baba cracked a few months ago at an event, so why spend so much on something he may not remember the specifics of, just that he will say "I think I remember the guy was funny"?

Wedding IVs and Programmes: the only people who will keep them after are your mum, his mum and parents of unmarried kids. Everyone else will fling them. At the wedding store I went to, the saleslady kept insisting "I think you deserve N400 per IV, it's not too much for you" I thanked her for her flattery and said N40,000 for 200 or more IVs was my budget and if I couldn't get cheaper, I would send out nicely printed letters and take my business away from her. She stopped her nonsense immediately. My mum wanted pictures of us in the IV, I stopped it (totally unnecessary and not classy).

WHAT YOU SHOULD SPEND ON

Photography: after your gown cost N180,000, you now hire N40,000 photog who shoots nonsense and the beauty of your gown is lost

Food: If you don't feed people (and feed them on-time) they will sit down and watch you whilst you dance. No spraying money. Do you want that?

Music: if your crowd is Yoruba, hire a band. You will enjoy it more. Good music means a happier crowd.

Wedding Coordinators: mine was a straightfaced man. So if he said "please sit down drinks are coming", people felt ashamed to be making a fuss. Plus he had assistant wedding coordinators (I don't like ushers, they are usually uni girls who have no courage to be strong and get overruled by aunties). He also called all the vendors beforehand and the 2 mothers and gave them instructions. Everyone else he ignored that day.

There is a vendor for every budget. If the vendor you are speaking to keeps saying "I can't do this for your budget" don't negotiate, thank them and go away to find a vendor in your budget.

Remember there is Life after Wedding. Any monetary gifts you receive during wedding planning, I recommend putting it in your savings account and don't say "oh now that I have extra, let me add to my budget".

Be firm. Have fun!

Wow really Love this, thanks for the sisterly advice

1 Like

Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by rushino: 10:52pm On Mar 13, 2015
Hello, watd ur budget n we can help. cos u might b able to get a new one for the amount u budgeted

Also a friend has a mermaid dress she is putting up for rent and a ball gown.add 24e4af5c on bbm and I can see. But these are only 2, n I don't know ur taste yet but we see how it goes

lawvlypearl:

1 Like

Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by rushino: 11:03pm On Mar 13, 2015
From all i have read (other replies) you said u have made a list, so u actually have an idea. What u really need help is pulling it all together.the easiest thing is taking one at a time and be focused. Draw a budget against each n stick to it and tick as u accomplish them. Start with hall, dress.
If u r a bride this not particular with hat she gets as long as it's I think budget then u can ask trusted friend n family to oversee etc, but most brides want to have a say and ensure its what they ask for, then u should overlook it personally but based on what u said. I suggest wedding planner

Honestly, I think u shuld get a wedding planner. Some are actually affordable. So you ask around and compare prices.
Where is d wedding thing place?

Ladybe:
Hi All,

Thanks for this thread.

Ideas pls
Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by kputus: 2:13pm On Mar 15, 2015
Also, no asoebi! I no get strength to ask people for money. Just wear anything that matches the color of the day. Family insists on getting their asoebi though.
Also, no brides/grooms men. LOL. Just maid of honor and best man.[/quote]
Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by ladygogo: 4:32pm On Mar 15, 2015
@onegai. I officially love you. Very well said!. grin
Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by Rhukie(f): 6:28am On Mar 16, 2015
Good morning to all the bride's to be and event planners
and helpers. my wedding took place on Saturday and it
went so well. Thank you all for your suggestions and
ideas.

3 Likes

Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by Nobody: 6:51am On Mar 16, 2015
Rhukie:
ideas.
Ohh, congrats babe. . ThankGod it was a success smiley

Wishing us all a successful one too.. smiley cool kiss

1 Like

Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by Pweetiebabe(f): 9:01am On Mar 16, 2015
Rhukie:
ideas.
Congratulations dearie may God keep and bless the union ijn....... May u guys be fruitful in all areas of life, enjoy boo cant wait to join the league though grin
Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by costlyb: 10:00am On Mar 16, 2015
congrats dear
Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by costlyb: 10:06am On Mar 16, 2015
pls i need your help, how do i combine orange, lemon and cream for my white wedding

1 Like

Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by costlyb: 10:15am On Mar 16, 2015
pls my wedding is coming up soon am having problem with combining colours . we choose lemon, orange and cream

1 Like

Re: Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! by lawvlypearl(f): 11:43am On Mar 16, 2015
Rhukie:
ideas.

Congrats!! May the lord uphold your home. Keep praying for the rest of us. Enjoy!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Plain T-shirt At N3,300 Only / "Suitors Now Prefer Our Maids To Our Daughters For Marriage" - Nigerian Parents / American Woman Shocked To Discover She's Related To Her Husband After DNA Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.