Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,815 members, 7,817,364 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:01 AM

What's D Best Oil To Service Sienna Engine. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What's D Best Oil To Service Sienna Engine. (9559 Views)

Would You Pay N22m To Service Your N570m Bugatti Veyron Like Floyd Mayweather? / Total Quartz 9000 5W-40 Engine Oil Good To Service This Car? / Best Oil To Use On Rav4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's D Best Oil To Service Sienna Engine. by Lordscrown(m): 6:30am On Jan 14, 2015
Hello house,
I just bought a sienna 99 model xle fairly used,and I need to sevice bth the engine and gear b4 using it.please I need to know which oil is best to buy for both.
Thanks!
Re: What's D Best Oil To Service Sienna Engine. by AutosBay(m): 7:53am On Jan 14, 2015
Mobil lubricant XHP use either 10w-30 or 20w - 50 grades.

Something similar has been discussed here https://www.nairaland.com/1054692/knowledge-101-which-engine-oil

https://www.nairaland.com/208151/sienna-jenju-what-best-oil
Re: What's D Best Oil To Service Sienna Engine. by anneki(m): 7:56am On Jan 14, 2015
The best oil is the type recommended by Toyota. Such information is contained in the owners manual or printed on the oil cap.

I would guess the oil for your car is of the viscosity 5w-30.

2 Likes

Re: What's D Best Oil To Service Sienna Engine. by DECOtech(m): 8:00am On Jan 14, 2015
For your engine, use the 5w30 spec of any good brand

ATF oil type is marked on the dipstick of the transmission. Dextron III of any good brand.

2 Likes

Re: What's D Best Oil To Service Sienna Engine. by Nobody: 8:14am On Jan 14, 2015
AutosBay:
Mobil lubricant XHP use either 10w-30 or 20w - 50 grades.

Something similar has been discussed here https://www.nairaland.com/1054692/knowledge-101-which-engine-oil

https://www.nairaland.com/208151/sienna-jenju-what-best-oil

WTF! Are you serious or joking?

Why do you want this OP to use this heavy oil and ultimately crash his engine?
If you don't know somethings, let it slide, yet be patient to observe and learn more.

Op, your best recommended oil is SAE 5W30 SL grade of synthetic blend oil.

For your tranny, toyota recommends you use Genuine Toyota ATF type T-IV atf oil.

In the ATF can check for either this JWS3309 or NWS6500.

DON'T use any other ATF other than that which I mentioned or else, GOBE!

2 Likes

Re: What's D Best Oil To Service Sienna Engine. by nurey(m): 8:37am On Jan 14, 2015
The recommended engine oil of that car is 5W30 api sj clearly printed on the engine cover while the recommended ATF is Dextron III also clearly written on the dip stick. I doubt if you would see any 5W30 in filling stations what you will come across is 10W40 or 5W40 there were only 4 filling stations I found this Total, forte oil, MRS and mobil and those engine oil grade are expensive close to 10k.

I bought MRS full synthetic 5W40 API, SJ five litres around August last year and am still using it now with 6xxx km (not miles) already covered and the oil is still same golden colour, I intend to use it for a year or 8xxx which ever comes first it is sold for 6,600 but you can get the mile master @ 6k from konga which is rated at 5W30
my brother inlaw uses the Mobile 0W30 and 5litres of that cost close to 10k all this versions are the Nigerian own not imported.
Re: What's D Best Oil To Service Sienna Engine. by Nobody: 9:07am On Jan 14, 2015
nurey:
The recommended engine oil of that car is 5W30 api sj clearly printed on the engine cover while the recommended ATF is Dextron III also clearly written on the dip stick. I doubt if you would see any 5W30 in filling stations what you will come across is 10W40 or 5W40 there were only 4 filling stations I found this Total, forte oil, MRS and mobil and those engine oil grade are expensive close to 10k.

I bought MRS full synthetic 5W40 API, SJ five litres around August last year and am still using it now with 6xxx km (not miles) already covered and the oil is still same golden colour, I intend to use it for a year or 8xxx which ever comes first it is sold for 6,600 but you can get the mile master @ 6k from konga which is rated at 5W30
my brother inlaw uses the Mobile 0W30 and 5litres of that cost close to 10k all this versions are the Nigerian own not imported.

Read your owners manual, you'll discover it has genuine toyota type T-iv. My 2003 HL 2.4L 4sp AT/w OD says dextron iii on the ATF dip stick, but in the manual it categorically stated Type T-IV. I've followed www.Toyotanation.com well enough to read thru where folks used other oil other than type T-IV, it locked up their tranny.
Re: What's D Best Oil To Service Sienna Engine. by nurey(m): 11:25am On Jan 14, 2015
lomomike:

Read your owners manual, you'll discover it has genuine toyota type T-iv. My 2003 HL 2.4L 4sp AT/w OD says dextron iii on the ATF dip stick, but in the manual it categorically stated Type T-IV. I've followed www.Toyotanation.com well enough to read thru where folks used other oil other than type T-IV, it locked up their tranny.

Mr mike no need to argue with you on the dextron III issue as we have trashed that out in the other thread.

Op please don't use dextron III because the authenticity cannot be guaranteed again even though that is what is printed on your dip stick so would also recommend type T-IV as said by the experts in the house.
Re: What's D Best Oil To Service Sienna Engine. by Export1: 12:36pm On Jan 14, 2015
Toyota’s Stance on Synthetics

Toyota has these recommendations for synthetic oil:

Only Toyota vehicles in which 0w-20 synthetic oil is required (except for the 2TR-FE & 3UR-FBE Engines*) have been approved for extended oil change intervals of 10,000-miles/12-months. (However, you should continue to check the oil level regularly and top off if needed. That will help your engine get the full benefit of synthetic oil.)
Vehicles in which 0w-20 is an option to 5w-20 mineral oil, (or 5w-30), will continue to require 5,000-mile/6-month oil change intervals, even if 0w-20 oil is used.
In the case of vehicles with 10,000 mile oil change intervals, the 5,000 mile service interval has not been eliminated. The traditional 5,000 mile maintenance procedures (such as tire rotation) will continue to be required, and the fluid levels (such as brake fluid) will need to be checked and adjusted at this time.
If the vehicle operation meets the standard criteria for “Special Operating Conditions” such as: driving off-road, on dirt roads, towing a trailer, making repeated short trips under 32˚ F, or extensive idling; the engine oil must be replaced at 5,000 mile intervals, regardless of what type of oil is used.
*The 2TR-FE (4Runner / Tacoma) and the 3UR-FBE (Flex Fuel Tundra / Sequoia) are the exceptions to this new change interval program; these engines have not been approved for the 10,000 mile interval at this time. A 5,000-mile/6-month oil change interval is still required for these vehicles. Also, the Flex Fuel 3UR-FBE requires a 2,500 mile interval when operated on E85.

To recap, the decision to use synthetic isn’t black and white. You should take care to read and understand this choice prior to opting for it.

http://partsblog.olathetoyota.com/4541/synthetic-oil-toyota/
Re: What's D Best Oil To Service Sienna Engine. by Lordscrown(m): 4:36pm On Jan 14, 2015
Thanks. For the contribution,but...Chie!!!am so confused now,don't know which advice to go for.its 1999 model.please am confused completely.
Re: What's D Best Oil To Service Sienna Engine. by nurey(m): 4:41pm On Jan 14, 2015
Export1:
Toyota’s Stance on Synthetics

Toyota has these recommendations for synthetic oil:

Only Toyota vehicles in which 0w-20 synthetic oil is required (except for the 2TR-FE & 3UR-FBE Engines*) have been approved for extended oil change intervals of 10,000-miles/12-months. (However, you should continue to check the oil level regularly and top off if needed. That will help your engine get the full benefit of synthetic oil.)
Vehicles in which 0w-20 is an option to 5w-20 mineral oil, (or 5w-30), will continue to require 5,000-mile/6-month oil change intervals, even if 0w-20 oil is used.
In the case of vehicles with 10,000 mile oil change intervals, the 5,000 mile service interval has not been eliminated. The traditional 5,000 mile maintenance procedures (such as tire rotation) will continue to be required, and the fluid levels (such as brake fluid) will need to be checked and adjusted at this time.
If the vehicle operation meets the standard criteria for “Special Operating Conditions” such as: driving off-road, on dirt roads, towing a trailer, making repeated short trips under 32˚ F, or extensive idling; the engine oil must be replaced at 5,000 mile intervals, regardless of what type of oil is used.
*The 2TR-FE (4Runner / Tacoma) and the 3UR-FBE (Flex Fuel Tundra / Sequoia) are the exceptions to this new change interval program; these engines have not been approved for the 10,000 mile interval at this time. A 5,000-mile/6-month oil change interval is still required for these vehicles. Also, the Flex Fuel 3UR-FBE requires a 2,500 mile interval when operated on E85.

To recap, the decision to use synthetic isn’t black and white. You should take care to read and understand this choice prior to opting for it.

http://partsblog.olathetoyota.com/4541/synthetic-oil-toyota/

A simple question was asked and you went the professor way to answer oga ooo, do you know semester is short no time to cram all this Story for the gods. Just put a straight forward answer that's all

2 Likes

Re: What's D Best Oil To Service Sienna Engine. by nurey(m): 4:45pm On Jan 14, 2015
Lordscrown:
Thanks. For the contribution,but...Chie!!!am so confused now,don't know which advice to go for.its 1999 model.please am confused completely.

I have answered your question B4 mind you if you use the 20W50 that is common your check engine light would surely come on move to the odyssey sienna thread and ask me question I will do my best to give you detailed answer.

1 Like

Re: What's D Best Oil To Service Sienna Engine. by Nobody: 5:32pm On Jan 14, 2015
nurey:

Guess how much I bought my own 5W30 SN synthetic oil 4.7x litres in Abuja?
Re: What's D Best Oil To Service Sienna Engine. by IdaraCHODB(m): 6:52pm On Jan 14, 2015
lomomike:

WTF! Are you serious or joking?

Why do you want this OP to use this heavy oil and ultimately crash his engine?
If you don't know somethings, let it slide, yet be patient to observe and learn more.

Op, your best recommended oil is SAE 5W30 SL grade of synthetic blend oil.

For your tranny, toyota recommends you use Genuine Toyota ATF type T-IV atf oil.

In the ATF can check for either this JWS3309 or NWS6500.

DON'T use any other ATF other than that which I mentioned or else, GOBE!

The above comment fails to take cognizance of the fact that Toyota initially made Siennas that required Dexron III before making Siennas that required Toyota Type IV.
Re: What's D Best Oil To Service Sienna Engine. by IdaraCHODB(m): 6:54pm On Jan 14, 2015
nurey:

I think that unless there is evidence of an engine or transmission transplant what is written on the engine oil cover or dip stick should prevail over the manual,

it is easy to replace the manual that came with the vehicle with another that looks similar but might have been made for a different run of the same vehicle
Re: What's D Best Oil To Service Sienna Engine. by nurey(m): 7:24pm On Jan 14, 2015
IdaraCHODB:

I think that unless there is evidence of an engine or transmission transplant what is written on the engine oil cover or dip stick should prevail over the manual,

it is easy to replace the manual that came with the vehicle with another that looks similar but might have been made for a different run of the same vehicle

I thank you for. All your thoughtful comments and knowledge concerning engine oil and ATF but I am 100% sure that if you check the first generation toyota siennas (1998 to 2003) the dip stick will clearly state Dextron III but as said by experts it is better to use Dextron-IV since dextron III certification has stopped.

@Mr mike, it would do us some good to state the price but note that Forte oil full synthetic 5W40 for 4L goes for a whooping 7500 and 1L goes for 2k priced in Lagos.
Re: What's D Best Oil To Service Sienna Engine. by Lordscrown(m): 8:52pm On Jan 14, 2015
;DMr epistle..ur lordship sir..
nurey:

I have answered your question B4 mind you if you use the 20W50 that is common your check engine light would surely come on move to the odyssey sienna thread and ask me question I will do my best to give you detailed answer.
Re: What's D Best Oil To Service Sienna Engine. by anneki(m): 11:54am On Jan 15, 2015
@ OP. I hope this helps identify the oil viscosity for your car.

Re: What's D Best Oil To Service Sienna Engine. by Export1: 3:26pm On Jan 15, 2015
Genuine Toyota oil filters help protect your engine against dirt and other contaminants that can cause internal wear, while allowing adequate flow to internal engine components. These oil filters incorporate safety features like a bypass valve to help prevent restricted oil flow in the event of a clogged filter, and an anti-drainback valve, which prevents oil from draining from the engine into the oil pan during cold starts. Remember, not all oil filters meet Toyota’s stringent specifications. A non-Toyota filter element may not work as effectively and could even clog, causing costly engine damage. To protect your engine (and your pocketbook) always specify a Genuine Toyota oil filter.

http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pages/parts-service/parts?categoryId=32050&partNo=part7
Re: What's D Best Oil To Service Sienna Engine. by USPlaceofAutos: 4:06pm On Feb 06, 2017
For best performance of your car engine, one of the things you need to know is what type of oil your car needs. Car owner often seems overwhelmed because there are different types of Engine oil out there especially because all brands promises to do different things.
To choose the proper type of oil for your vehicle, refer to your manufacturer’s manual because that is where you can get the right viscosity oil e.g. 0W30, 0W20, 5W20, 5W30, 10W30, etc. In cases where you can’t find the manual, it’s also common to see the recommended oil printed on the oil cap under the hood.
Factors to consider when choosing the right Engine Oil

How hot or cold the climate is: the lower the number before the “W’, the better the oil works in cold weather.
Additives: these are effective as anti-oxidant, anti-wear and anti-corrosion inhibitors
Viscosity ratings: this is the oil’s resistance to flow. The lower the number, the thinner the oil and this makes it flow easier. In 5W-30 oil, for example, the 5W is an index that refers to how the oil flows at low temperatures (in winter); 30 refer to how it flows at high temperatures.
Automaker’s standard: it is important to use oil that meets this standard. This commonly includes American Petroleum Institute (API) Certification, International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC), a joint effort of U.S. and Japanese automobile manufacturers.
Synthetic oil? : Newer generation of cars come straight from the factory with synthetic oil and some auto manufacturers recommend it. It is good to put the following into consideration:
• The type of oil you have been using
• The type recommended by the owner’s manufacturer
• The type of climate you live in
• How old your vehicle is
• How old your vehicle engine is

DuraMAX Full Synthetic Motor Oil is manufactured in the USA, it is API rated and is available in the following SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30 and SAE 0W-20

...the engine oil that puts more money in your pocket

Contact Information:
US Place of Autos
10, Veteran Plaza,
433 Herbert Macaulay way,
St Agnes,
Yaba, Lagos
Telephone: 09035870964
E-mail: info@usplaceofautos.com
Twitter handle: @usplaceofautos

1 Like

Re: What's D Best Oil To Service Sienna Engine. by USPlaceofAutos: 12:36pm On Feb 08, 2017
DuraMAX lubricants are made in the USA, cheaper than most of the other oils manufactured in the USA even though they have passed through the same standards. DuraMAX Engine Oil is fully licensed and meets or exceed the most complex and rigorous international standards including the most recent API-SN and ILSAC- GF 5 certification. Based on manufacturer’s recommendation, both the Full Synthetic and Synthetic blend of lubricants are suitable for use in a combine estimate of 99 percent of today’s vehicular application.

DuraMAX Full Synthetic Oil are available in 5W-20, 5W-30, 0W-20. Check it out today!!!

You can also buy DuraMAX from [url=/us-place-of-autos]Konga[/url]

Contact Information:
US Place of Autos
10, Veteran Plaza,
433 Herbert Macaulay way,
St Agnes,
Yaba, Lagos
Telephone: 09035870964
E-mail: info@usplaceofautos.com
Twitter handle: @usplaceofautos

(1) (Reply)

Porsche And Singer Vehicles Collaborate To Make Porsche 964 DLS / What Happens If You Put The Wrong Fuel In Your Car? / Car AC Works Well Only In The Morning And Evening But Struggles In Hot Afternoon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.