Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,801 members, 7,817,316 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:02 AM

What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? (32905 Views)

Anything Wrong With Sleeping In This Position With My Sister? - Jayzeez / What Is Wrong With This Couple In This Photo? / What Is Wrong With This Picture? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by Keyana(f): 12:07pm On Jun 22, 2015
ayokunlei:

Omo BBF... Shey na Cis,Lis , CSC, masscom, Vet, or pharm, because una tag resemble. How ya exams? But I guess na comm and info sci be ur own
exam was good. Thanks. Are you a student? If yes, what dept!? #IrepCIS
Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by hob(m): 12:09pm On Jun 22, 2015
im an introvert by nature,you posting on nairaland is even less introvert. i like d epistle that was dished out by the 1st respondent. it captures quite a lot about being an introvert and extrovert.
Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by oluwadanie1(m): 12:11pm On Jun 22, 2015
winnieberry:
Helloo am an intovert by nature ,quiet love been indoors watching tv reading novels browse with my phone rather than chat with people.it gives people a wrong steroetype of me to them am wicked oor lack sympathy becos I hardly call or chat with people,even they collect my number.My family and friends nag me a lot E.g am not sociable,I don't go out its bad for a girl hw will toasters or my Future husband find me. It hurts me at times why can't people let me be for who I am cmon everyone can't be d same.To them am too secretive and sensitive,I choose to be secretive cos people can't just keep secrets , u tell smone somting .d nxt ting every else knows wat u told them.A lot of people tink am probably suffering frm insecurity,inferirity complex ,lowself esteem,Hell no .Pls anything wrong with been an introvert?
Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by oluwadanie1(m): 12:16pm On Jun 22, 2015
Keyana:

hey, really cool meeting unilorites online. I rep microbiology dept
Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by Keyana(f): 12:35pm On Jun 22, 2015
oluwadanie1:

hey, really cool meeting unilorites online. I rep microbiology dept
Likewise smiley
Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by Ajibel(m): 12:42pm On Jun 22, 2015
Why do introverts complain about being an Introvert.

*sigh

I'm one and I dont see why I should make a fuss about it...
Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by Hopez456(m): 12:49pm On Jun 22, 2015
This thread is a great relief, I love being alone, can stay indoor for days without people knowing, walk around only in d night, I Don't waste words, if I Don't have something important or beneficial to say I keep my lips sealed. It's quite unfortunate that being an introvert in this part of The world hasn't been easy, people think ure arrogant and a snub, some even think u ve got some mental problems. Our extrovert colleagues Just need to study nd understand our solitary nature.
Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by Masculity(m): 12:53pm On Jun 22, 2015
eleojo23:
Introverts...the most misunderstood beings on the planet even though they have contributed immensely to the progress of mankind (great scientists, musicians, inventors etc).
If you need someone who will think outside the box by reflex, you'll most likely find that among the introverts.

Nothing wrong with being an introvert.

It is your nature and you did not choose to be made that way. But the problem is that the world prefers and celebrates extroversion.

One thing however is that both are needed to create balance in the human society.
Look at a picture of both personalities.

The extrovert is an outgoing person who is excited by being among/around people, he/she is easily bored when there is no activity to engage in. Yeah, he's got lots of energy to spare. He has no difficulty expressing his feelings. When he's angry, you know and when he's happy, it's also very obvious ('cos he can just throw a party to show his happiness). He may not be so much interested in deep intellectual talk (not in all cases though) but he likes small talks like discussing about the weather and things like that.

But the introvert is different. He is the quiet type who does most of his talking in his head. Yeah, he thinks a lot and likes to engage in deep and intellectual conversations. He can stay alone for days and not get bored. He is not so easy to 'read' when compared with the extrovert. You may not know when he's happy or sad because his default expression is
'blank'. He could be experiencing intense joy on the inside but the best he may do to show it would just be a smile (no, he won't go jumping up and down, screaming in excitement). He likes depth in whatever he does and as such prefers quality to quantity. He may be slow in doing stuff but when he is done, you would appreciate his work because of the quality of it.
He is very good at understanding people but unfortunately for him, the gesture is not reciprocated as he is often misunderstood by many.
He doesn't make friends and get attached to people easily but once he considers you his friend, you are most likely going be his friend for life. You can now see why he has to keep someone on his 'probation' list for some time before admitting that person into his circle of friends (which is usually small).
He likes to work from the background, away from the spotlight. He hates noise!
Cool music playing in the background and a book in hand is a perfect way for him to spend the day.
When he loves, he is usually very committed to the one he loves...

#my fingers are already getting numb from typing... #

Hence, you see that both are needed to complement each other so don't ever entertain the thought that something is wrong with you because you're an introvert.
However, you can try making friends with a moderate extrovert and you will see how it will help you open up a little, just the same way an extrovert's excesses are curbed when she has an introverted friend. I say moderate extrovert because a highly extroverted friend can drive you nuts with too much stimulation (from talking and other activities peculiar to her nature).

Pardon my long epistle smiley

is this a comment or another post
Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by Hopez456(m): 12:57pm On Jun 22, 2015
Ajibel:

*sigh

The extros make us complain.

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jun 22, 2015
Kizmarty:

because she simply want to be left alone...that's enough reason, I think
if mosquitoes could bite yhj, and not cause irrigation or discomfort of any form, am sure yhu won't have a problem with it, been biten by mosquito.
Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by whoisuche: 1:28pm On Jun 22, 2015
winnieberry:
Helloo am an intovert by nature ,quiet love been indoors watching tv reading novels browse with my phone rather than chat with people.it gives people a wrong steroetype of me to them am wicked oor lack sympathy becos I hardly call or chat with people,even they collect my number.My family and friends nag me a lot E.g am not sociable,I don't go out its bad for a girl hw will toasters or my Future husband find me. It hurts me at times why can't people let me be for who I am cmon everyone can't be d same.To them am too secretive and sensitive,I choose to be secretive cos people can't just keep secrets , u tell smone somting .d nxt ting every else knows wat u told them.A lot of people tink am probably suffering frm insecurity,inferirity complex ,lowself esteem,Hell no .Pls anything wrong with been an introvert?

U need Jesus. Work for him today.
Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by Nobody: 1:32pm On Jun 22, 2015
Hopez456:
This thread is a great relief, I love being alone, can stay indoor for days without people knowing, walk around only in d night, I Don't waste words, if I Don't have something important or beneficial to say I keep my lips sealed. It's quite unfortunate that being an introvert in this part of The world hasn't been easy, people think ure arrogant and a snub, some even think u ve got some mental problems. Our extrovert colleagues Just need to study nd understand our solitary nature.
point out one introvert who isnt arrogant and a snub?, must introverts dont know it or like to admit they're snubs and arrogant, it all buried beneath. Wait till someone totally talking nonsense or small talks around you and yhu so bored and irrigated at the same time, thats when the monster snub in you comes out to play.
Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by Haishophem(m): 1:36pm On Jun 22, 2015
#Team introvert all the way...great to know you're one of us winnie
Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by Nobody: 1:36pm On Jun 22, 2015
Hopez456:
point out one introvert who isnt arrogant and a snub?, must introverts dont know it or like to admit they're snubs and arrogant, it all buried beneath. Wait till someone totally talking nonsense or small talks around you and yhu so bored and irrigated at the same time, thats when the monster snub in you comes out to play.
As for been arrogant all introverts are arrogant, its has something to the with the holier than thou, i know better attitude buried inside, difference between two introvert is ability to pipe it down, but come on a very good day and intrude on an introvert mind space, he could literally stab yhu, i know i would.
Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by Hopez456(m): 1:48pm On Jun 22, 2015
chalantmike:
I think being irritated and uninterested in some other people's activities is not arrogance or being snobbish. Introverted people are The most humble set of people u can ever come across but people Don't know it.
Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by Nobody: 1:55pm On Jun 22, 2015
Hopez456:
I think being irritated and uninterested in some other people's activities is not arrogance or being snobbish. Introverted people are The most humble set of people u can ever come across but people Don't know it.
idealized idea of ones self, introverts are prone to that. Id rather yhu scream at me, than form humble, while boiling inside. To the an introvert the world is alwayd watching them, so they have to comform.
Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by wisellette: 1:57pm On Jun 22, 2015
Many people are just ignorant of introvertial behaviour. That's why they're always judged. Introverts are beautiful people, deep, always using their brains, mature, thinkers, the one people you can count on to think out of the box.

Leave introverts alone if you can't make the effort to know/understand them. Don't think you're better than them because you have many friends or are sociable- 10 of those friends may not be any match for just 1 of an introvert's friend, their extremely selective nature means they don't just admit anyone in their world.

If you have a friend for up to 10 years and you still can't predict him/her, he/she is most probably an introvert. Lol. Don't sweat it, you most probably will never be able to. Don't try to read them, and don't get frustrated because you can't. ASK....ALWAYS ASK their mind/opinion, they'll gladly tell you.

And don't be mad that friend is not as outgoing as you are, or prefers to read/just be indoors than attend that party. The way you SO LOVE going out , that's how much they SO CHERISH quietude. Respect that.

You can occasionally drag them out to functions. Even introverts like their friends to make them go out once in a while.

All in all, we need to accept and appreciate our differences.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by ayokunlei(m): 1:58pm On Jun 22, 2015
Keyana:
Gud2hear that.
DAT ur name sounds familiar, DAT was y I checked, later I remember last year's BBF thread.
Na Sta I dey.
Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by wisellette: 2:01pm On Jun 22, 2015
chalantmike:
idealized idea of ones self, introverts are prone to that. Id rather yhu scream at me, than form humble, while boiling inside. To the an introvert the world is alwayd watching them, so they have to comform.
False. An introvert gives no care to what you think.

'Forming humble' because they don't scream like lunatics?

Questionable logic.
Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by soldierdollar(m): 2:03pm On Jun 22, 2015
I am a strong introvert but a I got many friends . I am very quite and reserved but very creative, very calculative and very observant. Though quiet , but one of the most popular in d class .

Facts about me.
I like company of people who understand me and hate d company of people who want to outshine me with their extroversy .
2. I speak few words in every sentence. Each word has direct (coded, technical ) meaning meant to pull all the weight to my intentions / explanations
3. I feel sensitive about people understanding me
4. A good psychologist . To some extent , I know how to control my emotions . Not easily impressed by people , can detect fake laughter from 5 miles , know exactly what a particular person. Should feel or behave under certain conditions . Know what to tell people to make them happy .
5. Can hide my feelings . It's not easy to decipher my true feelings if I INTEND to hide it .I can be happy but look otherwise and vice versa
6. Not easily predictable .
7.Prefer to sit at a particular spot in d class especially at d back .
9. Very patient .
10. Strict but very kind .
11 Strong personality
12. Humorous
13. Handsome
14. Fearless
15. Sense of independence.. I hate begging and I strive to get whatever I want .
16. All rounded . I know few things about many things
I like quietness
18. I enjoy loneliness like okpa and coke but I can't help making friends .

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by ayokunlei(m): 2:04pm On Jun 22, 2015
Ajibel:

*sigh

Maybe because of dia perfectionist trait, some introvert are perfectionist . perfectionist hardly will be satisfied ,wanting everything to b perfect,perhaps d reason y dey get depressed easily and d main reason why dey criticise themselves and pple around them.
Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by Nobody: 2:07pm On Jun 22, 2015
eleojo23:
Introverts...the most misunderstood beings on the planet even though they have contributed immensely to the progress of mankind (great scientists, musicians, inventors etc).
If you need someone who will think outside the box by reflex, you'll most likely find that among the introverts.

It is your nature and you did not choose to be made that way. But the problem is that the world prefers and celebrates extroversion.

One thing however is that both are needed to create balance in the human society.

The extrovert is an outgoing person who is excited by being among/around people, he/she is easily bored when there is no activity to engage in. Yeah, he's got lots of energy to spare. He has no difficulty expressing his feelings. When he's angry, you know and when he's happy, it's also very obvious ('cos he can just throw a party to show his happiness). He may not be so much interested in deep intellectual talk (not in all cases though) but he likes small talks like discussing about the weather and things like that.

But the introvert is different. He is the quiet type who does most of his talking in his head. Yeah, he thinks a lot and likes to engage in deep and intellectual conversations. He can stay alone for days and not get bored. He is not so easy to 'read' when compared with the extrovert. You may not know when he's happy or sad because his default expression is
'blank'. He could be experiencing intense joy on the inside but the best he may do to show it would just be a smile (no, he won't go jumping up and down, screaming in excitement). He likes depth in whatever he does and as such prefers quality to quantity. He may be slow in doing stuff but when he is done, you would appreciate his work because of the quality of it.
He is very good at understanding people but unfortunately for him, the gesture is not reciprocated as he is often misunderstood by many.
He doesn't make friends and get attached to people easily but once he considers you his friend, you are most likely going be his friend for life. You can now see why he has to keep someone on his 'probation' list for some time before admitting that person into his circle of friends (which is usually small).
Cool music playing in the background and a book in hand is a perfect way for him to spend the day.

Hence, you see that both are needed to complement each other so don't ever entertain the thought that something is wrong with you because you're an introvert.
However, you can try making friends with a moderate extrovert and you will see how it will help you open up a little, just the same way an extrovert's excesses are curbed when she has an introverted friend. I say moderate extrovert because a highly extroverted friend can drive you nuts with too much stimulation (from talking and other activities peculiar to her nature).

Thanks for describing Me and Op. If I were to choose again, I'll remain same.
Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by ayokunlei(m): 2:31pm On Jun 22, 2015
Keyana:
Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by Hopez456(m): 2:50pm On Jun 22, 2015
chalantmike:
I beg to differ sir, truly an introvert can boil inside when offended but that doesn't mean we can't express our dissatisfaction. Humility and not wanting cause any form of attention is common to most introvert.
Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by Keyana(f): 3:05pm On Jun 22, 2015
ayokunlei:

Gud to hear that. Am in sta dept
Hmnn...nice. we mustve been 'jamming' each other in class without even realising it.

I no wan derail the thread, I'm out (y)
Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by eleojo23: 3:06pm On Jun 22, 2015
Masculity:

is this a comment or another post
It is an epistle grin

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by advice247: 3:11pm On Jun 22, 2015
Nice thread, at list I wouldn't feel weird about myself anymore, hubby has complained tire, in fact on this same forum and said I am useless in social gatherings (abusive as usual) but now I know am not the only one this way....We don't make friends but d few we have are close for life...

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by possibilita(m): 3:51pm On Jun 22, 2015
eleojo23:

are u a psychology?because u jst described me as an introvert,I have only 1 friend,could be in my room for day,hate noise n listens only to tracks by celinedion.but ppl always describe me as Lazy
Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jun 22, 2015
wisellette:
False. An introvert gives no care to what you think.

'Forming humble' because they don't scream like lunatics?

Questionable logic.
every introvert cares about what people think about, they just don't care enough to do anything about it or change. An introvert has a very strong individual personality, not easily swayed and strength of character, even while he/she knows he/she is weird, they enjoy it and doesn't necessarily wanna do anything about. They to focus making a statement by not making a statement, non comformity.

But implying an introvert doesn't care what others think about him, you probably underestimate how powerful the sensitivity of an introvert is, more sensitive than an extrovert.

A character is not the hardest thing to change or rid the mind of, an idea is the hardest thing to rid the mind of, an idea is parasite, a character is just pattern.

You do know introvert spend like 20 percent of their mind anticipating, and analysising what people areb think especially about them.
Subtle signs people dont natural pay attention too, sets up alarm in the mind of an introvert, body language, tone of voice, sight direction.
Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by free37: 4:05pm On Jun 22, 2015
Hmm...
Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by ayokunlei(m): 5:54pm On Jun 22, 2015
Keyana:
Hmnn...nice. we mustve been 'jamming' each other in class without even realising it.

abi nao. We still go jam for next session fa.... Sta 221 dey
Re: What Is Wrong With Being An Introvert? by ayokunlei(m): 5:55pm On Jun 22, 2015
Keyana:

abi nao. We still go jam for next session fa.... Sta 221

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

7 Things That Make You Look Like A Cheater(even If You Are Not) / Husbands Or Wives With Mouth Odour, How Do You Cope? / After 21 Years Of Barrenness Woman Delivers Baby Boy (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.