Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,225 members, 7,836,098 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:45 PM

Drop An English Word That Will Make Someone Check The Dictionary - Education (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Drop An English Word That Will Make Someone Check The Dictionary (50680 Views)

Drop One WORD That Can Make Someone Check His/her Dictionary. / 5 Words Nigerians Use That Doesn't Actually Exist In The Dictionary / 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Drop An English Word That Will Make Someone Check The Dictionary by MAYOWAAK: 9:06pm On Jan 19, 2015
1.objurgation
2.antediluvian.
Re: Drop An English Word That Will Make Someone Check The Dictionary by Nobody: 9:07pm On Jan 19, 2015
Onegai:

LET'S DO THIS!

btw,

Flummoxed

That's how I feel about some of the responses on this thread....

The funny thing is, the scenario we described totally happens somewhere in Lagos, I'VE SEEN IT ON INSTAGRAM grin

Lol I just try to not notice these days.
Re: Drop An English Word That Will Make Someone Check The Dictionary by Nobody: 9:07pm On Jan 19, 2015
Tiddlywinks
Re: Drop An English Word That Will Make Someone Check The Dictionary by baybeeboi: 9:07pm On Jan 19, 2015
mikporch:

Ar u so weird to quote nonsense
bros,you have it.......i leave evrithing for you...carry go
Re: Drop An English Word That Will Make Someone Check The Dictionary by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jan 19, 2015
Gorgeousolasco
Re: Drop An English Word That Will Make Someone Check The Dictionary by Misblah(f): 9:10pm On Jan 19, 2015
leadertext:
Iglidipidiglidy
Raja
Quay
Ocytocin
Spleen
....scrabble playerz cool
lolzzz asin ehhh i dey tell you!
Re: Drop An English Word That Will Make Someone Check The Dictionary by chidexy(m): 9:10pm On Jan 19, 2015
Cajones
Re: Drop An English Word That Will Make Someone Check The Dictionary by Onegai(f): 9:11pm On Jan 19, 2015
MrHardOn:
Tiddlywinks

hey, stop stealing my signature. I'll have you up before the mods for Appropriating my signature!
Re: Drop An English Word That Will Make Someone Check The Dictionary by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jan 19, 2015
Cway
Odiferous
Re: Drop An English Word That Will Make Someone Check The Dictionary by Nobody: 9:13pm On Jan 19, 2015
Onegai. Fuccck Mod. My life is not on nairaland. What makes you think you are the sole ownership of the word tiddlywinks. Banning me from nairaland on a baseless issue is not banning me from.the World.
Re: Drop An English Word That Will Make Someone Check The Dictionary by towbaino(m): 9:14pm On Jan 19, 2015
Mutuwa:
floccinaucinihilipilification

Also check

antidisestablishmentarianism

And finally..

pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

Look them up don't conclude they are fictitous words.
Hmmmmmm........ pneumonoultramicroscopocsilicovolcanoconiosis........ longest word........... lung cancer caused by inhaliing smoke from volcanic eruption(volcanic ash)
Re: Drop An English Word That Will Make Someone Check The Dictionary by Onegai(f): 9:16pm On Jan 19, 2015
MissMeiya:

The funny thing is, the scenario we described totally happens somewhere in Lagos, I'VE SEEN IT ON INSTAGRAM grin

Lol I just try to not notice these days.

Forreals? Bet they all had faux-british accents and no learning. I've met their type before, the more the fake accent, the less they actually know. Sometimes to mess them up, I would randomly bring up one daft discussion they can't keep up with e.g. The Signing of the Magna Carta, Settlement of the Europeans into South America, Mining practises and the Potato Blight of Ireland, Ancient Bedding customs of the Benue people and Reincarnation beliefs amongst the Ika of Delta. Watching their eyes glaze over because they had ZERO idea about what I was talking about, priceless grin

Ah, the good old days....

2 Likes

Re: Drop An English Word That Will Make Someone Check The Dictionary by badassProdigy(m): 9:17pm On Jan 19, 2015
mai is GOONZ
Re: Drop An English Word That Will Make Someone Check The Dictionary by dignity806(m): 9:17pm On Jan 19, 2015
paraphernalia, mendacity...
Re: Drop An English Word That Will Make Someone Check The Dictionary by kendrick9(m): 9:19pm On Jan 19, 2015
MissMeiya:

Lol yes. The dangling preposition in my sentence was "from". Apparently, it's acceptable to end a sentence with a preposition. smiley
yeah,i saw that too but its kinda weird to say something like "What did u step?".
Re: Drop An English Word That Will Make Someone Check The Dictionary by Nobody: 9:19pm On Jan 19, 2015
Piece De resistanCe

Serendipity
Re: Drop An English Word That Will Make Someone Check The Dictionary by Misblah(f): 9:20pm On Jan 19, 2015
Cfamoz:
Archaic....laxity.....axiomatic....gullible....prattle...
Archaic means old or antique
Laxity means a decline in moral value
Axiomatic means...an axiom is a saying that does nt require proof so an axiomatic should mean smtin close to that.
Gullible means quick to believe. mostly used as an adjective
prattle..incessant talking like a child
Re: Drop An English Word That Will Make Someone Check The Dictionary by Nobody: 9:20pm On Jan 19, 2015
DaZion:
Mine is..."Laissez-faire"
derived from the french phrase: L'aise affaire which means easy going or nonchalantly.
Sentence: the government has a laissez faire attitude towards the plight of the masses.
You did well dear.
Re: Drop An English Word That Will Make Someone Check The Dictionary by Gentlebabs(m): 9:21pm On Jan 19, 2015
Roma locuta, causa finita.
Re: Drop An English Word That Will Make Someone Check The Dictionary by sweetgala(m): 9:21pm On Jan 19, 2015
Mythomane
Re: Drop An English Word That Will Make Someone Check The Dictionary by Motolank: 9:22pm On Jan 19, 2015
Sisi
Re: Drop An English Word That Will Make Someone Check The Dictionary by Onegai(f): 9:24pm On Jan 19, 2015
Misblah:
Archaic means old or antique
Laxity means ermmm *gimme a min*
Axiomatic means...an axiom is a saying that does nt require proof so an axiomatic should mean smtin close to that.
Gullible means quick to believe. mostly used as an adjective
prattle...should be an onomatopoeic word. dunno d meaning.
*Aisha oya bring that dictionary*

Prattle means mindless chatter that goes on and on. Think of lots of children talking together about nothing in particular or women aimlessly gisting about nothing in particular. Feel free to use it to describe any thread on NL about Tonto Dikeh henceforth: Mindless Prattle grin

Onomatopoeic words are words that describe a sound e.g meow, honk honk, ding dong, boom, bang-bang (for guns, not the male type!) So the snake went "hissss" at the girl's bare ankles, is a good example of Onomaetopeia.
Re: Drop An English Word That Will Make Someone Check The Dictionary by Nobody: 9:24pm On Jan 19, 2015
Akranez:
Elefanteloboyegbogboyin
Re: Drop An English Word That Will Make Someone Check The Dictionary by Jaynim(m): 9:24pm On Jan 19, 2015
AMORPHOUS
Re: Drop An English Word That Will Make Someone Check The Dictionary by odikomo1(m): 9:24pm On Jan 19, 2015
Viament
Re: Drop An English Word That Will Make Someone Check The Dictionary by Misblah(f): 9:26pm On Jan 19, 2015
Onegai:

Prattle means mindless chatter that goes on and on. Think of lots of children talking together or women aimlessly gisting about nothing in particular.

Onomatopoeic words are words that describe a sound e.g meow, honk honk, ding dong, boom, bang-bang (for guns, not the male type!)
yea thanks much. just checked it.
Re: Drop An English Word That Will Make Someone Check The Dictionary by Maczeelly(m): 9:30pm On Jan 19, 2015
Check.......antimonogeographicationalism
Re: Drop An English Word That Will Make Someone Check The Dictionary by Misblah(f): 9:30pm On Jan 19, 2015
effervescent:
Soigne, "quid pro quo"
quid pro quo means an equivalent exchange for something, in lay man's terms, give me i give you.
Re: Drop An English Word That Will Make Someone Check The Dictionary by Maczeelly(m): 9:33pm On Jan 19, 2015
Check...........maczeellium. Check...........Utopia. Check..........cockchafer
Re: Drop An English Word That Will Make Someone Check The Dictionary by DanceVille: 9:39pm On Jan 19, 2015
BellaBambina:
derived from the french phrase: L'aise affaire which means easy going or nonchalantly.
Sentence: the government has a laissez faire attitude towards the plight of the masses.
You did well dear.
Re: Drop An English Word That Will Make Someone Check The Dictionary by manizozizo(m): 9:44pm On Jan 19, 2015
debolly:
Jingoistic
Camaraderie
Incarcerence
hmmmmmmmmm thats cool
Re: Drop An English Word That Will Make Someone Check The Dictionary by gorgeousomo(m): 9:44pm On Jan 19, 2015
rapacious

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (20) (Reply)

‘we Owe Allegiance To Eiye Confraternity’ - Lagos Secondary School Students / Is This The Most Beautiful University In Nigeria? / UNILAG Female Hostel Roof Leaks As Heavy Rain Water Fills The Rooms (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.