Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,068 members, 7,849,329 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 06:39 PM

Welcome To My Office - Career (38) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Welcome To My Office (147824 Views)

Photos Of My Office And Why I May Resign To Pursue My Music Career / The Ladies In My Office Are Milking Me Dry. / I Rejected A 2 Year Bond By My Office Sending Me On A One Week Course To Uk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (77) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Welcome To My Office by Jarus(m): 6:11pm On Jul 27, 2010
netotse:

@tkb
i like your idea. . .i'm installing visio now. . .i'll work on it.

about the banking thingy nko? i thought it was right up your alley. . .i was wondering whether y'all just sit around a table and say 'let's make these nuisances beg/swear/curse before we give them what they want'. . .so far so good only zenith answered us before the deadline and they were still late.

@thread
okay, i'm now adding driver to my JD, it was engineer and secretary before. . .i need some drawings to prepare a quotation for something and now i have to drive myself down to shiroro to get the data myself. . .quick question, shiroro is like 450km from abuja, should i ask for travel allowance(abi is it night allowance they call it?) i'll be back the same day sha. . .
If I go to the next street there on official assignment, or let's say Marina, from Ajose Adeogun here, I dey claim transport allowance in few thousands o, even if na bike I carry.
Re: Welcome To My Office by tkb417(m): 6:46pm On Jul 27, 2010
tkb
i like your idea. . .i'm installing visio now. . .i'll work on it.

about the banking thingy nko? i thought it was right up your alley. . .i was wondering whether y'all just sit around a table and say 'let's make these nuisances beg/swear/curse before we give them what they want'. . .so far so good only zenith answered us before the deadline and they were still late.
see all these our commercial banks can be annoying atimes
What ill suggest is you sit with them b4 the whole process, let them know u only have '21 days' to complete the whole bizniz and you henceforth cannot afford a day lapse from the bank.

Im sure they'll tell you reasons why they have been messing up and how you can guard against future happenings

I dont know the processes but sometimes the new dispensation in the banking sector is slowing down a lotta stuff ( HITV Bank guarantee issue is an example). Let them tell you how many days (standard) it takes from their side and make them abide by whatever they say
I dont think u can influence this from outside- Not sure ( im not a commercial bank worker o)
Re: Welcome To My Office by tkb417(m): 6:46pm On Jul 27, 2010
@Blue Diva
congrats o. abeg send my Dom P asap
Re: Welcome To My Office by dayokanu(m): 6:53pm On Jul 27, 2010
At work checking Nairaland.

BlueDiva:

I'm getting promoted.
Members of the house, please come pop champagne with moi. wink

Yaaaayyyyyyyy Come and join me here and lets celebrate our wayyyyyyyyyyyy
Re: Welcome To My Office by naijatoday: 9:07pm On Jul 27, 2010
Jarus:

TKB has said it all regarding oil trading.

Oil marketing buys in bulk and sells in retail outlets(i.e in filling stations).
Oil trading buys in bulk(and at larger volumes, in metric tonnes) but sells in wholesale. It involves importing and exporting of both crude oil and petroleum products.
That simple.

thanks
Re: Welcome To My Office by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jul 27, 2010
tkb417:

@Blue Diva
congrats o. abeg send my Dom P asap

Ok, DHL dey bring am sharp sharp. wink

dayokanu:

At work checking Nairaland.

Yaaaayyyyyyyy Come and join me here and lets celebrate our wayyyyyyyyyyyy

Okay, give me venue tongue
Re: Welcome To My Office by dayokanu(m): 9:15pm On Jul 27, 2010
Re: Welcome To My Office by FBS: 9:57pm On Jul 27, 2010
Congrats BlueDiva. Is it a boy or girl?  cheesy grin
Re: Welcome To My Office by damiso(f): 10:47am On Jul 28, 2010
Na wa for una o,se becos me too i did not come on to ask for business proposal ,none of you could even welcome me back to my office,i thought this thread was welcome to my office grin grin grin grin grin grin grin,anyways it all good.

Getting back into the flow of things just a lil sleep deprived but i shall no longer copmplain and just look forward to the weekend(when i am always on house duty),have a wedding,a church meeting and a birthday party on saturday all of which i think i have to shenk(is that word still in naija vocab),i am drained.I have PDR coming up next week and i am busy cracking my head on what to put in my 'how i have lived the values in the last 6 months' cos i really was'n t was i undecided i have a couple of ideas though on what i want from my career in the next year,training courses would love to attend and some things that i am looking to do, so i am guessing that should fill up most of the meeting besides my manager sef is new so have got an upper hand on him wink.
anyways gotta go,the fire alarm is going on longer than usual,need to leave the building(am sure its a false alarm the facilties people need a gay break grin)
Re: Welcome To My Office by tkb417(m): 10:52am On Jul 28, 2010
^^^^
damiso how are u grin grin

how is ur baby? ur husband nko

no vex jare

lol
Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 12:13pm On Jul 28, 2010
@ajanlekoko
they've assigned someone to drive me thankfully, cos i no too sabi the road there o. . .was going to drive one of the office cars though, not sure the jalopy i drive can make it to minna not to mention shiroro. . .

as per the career thing, a switch might be the way to go. . .either to a diff company or even starting a new one sef. . .that's what i plan to do, work for people for a while then ultimately do my own thing, consultancy or something sha(and there's always almighty politics). . .what's a POC?

@jarus
thanks. . .cant wait to see the look on my oga's face when i ask for money for all my past shiroro trips, the guy na 'aka gum'(did i spell that right?)

@Blue Diva
congrats. . .celebrations are in order

@damiso
welcome back. . .you were one of the people that attracted me here in the first place. . .kept wondering where you disappeared to sef. . .

@tkb
my bad. . .i thought as long as it's finance you'd have an idea of some sort. . .if i remember right, you're an investment banker abi? what does that entail?
Re: Welcome To My Office by tkb417(m): 12:32pm On Jul 28, 2010
@tkb
my bad. . .i thought as long as it's finance you'd have an idea of some sort. . .if i remember right, you're an investment banker abi? what does that entail?
not sure i understand how they operate. Diggler should give us a clue grin grin

Investment banking
>fund raising (debt, mez, equity)
>advisory on mergers& acquisition
> fized income securities
>security/commodity/currency trading
> research
Re: Welcome To My Office by damiso(f): 12:48pm On Jul 28, 2010
@Tkb tanxs jare berra person,baby  and hubby are fine jare.

One issue i need a different perspective on, i intend to start my ACII exams next year by God's grace and my present company normally volunteer to pay membership fees,exam fees and are also quite flexible on study leave to study for the exams.It really is a really good place to work and all,very parent friendly and all(my friends all envy the fact that i still have my full 25 days holiday this year despite the fact that i just got back from 10 months maternity leave,no 9 months cos 1 month was last yrs holiday).Anyhoo,i have an interview with this other company offering better pay and all,(the recruitment agency are trying to get an interview date just called me when i was on my coffee break).My hubby thinks i should just stick where  i am now,even though the pay is less as he feels sometimes money is not everything especially when looking at working enviroment,he says the recruitment agency will get a commission so they are therefore trying to sell the new company to me and so i therefore cannot predict what the working enviroment will be.I see his point,but i be typical naija gal,that pay is mouth watering grin,.I can see me progressing here but you know one should  never to take things for granted.all in all ,am tilting to staying here for a while cos i cant say if the new co would be flexible on studying and childcare,but as they say in yoruba,(my proverb skills are highly flawed) but it goes somewhat like one should make money while young,But i guess when you have kids esp as a mom you have to make sacrifices. I am thinking of calling the agency back to cancel the interview and just stick here for a while cos i dont want to go through all the shebang of going for interview for a job i might not take.One other thing sef,they would want me to close at 5 cos its a nine to five role and here cos of my baby i start at 10 and close at 4.30.Enough ranting,outta here.
Re: Welcome To My Office by tkb417(m): 1:04pm On Jul 28, 2010
^^^
u berra investigate the new place before you jump ship
Like your hubby said, money aint everythn. all the pecks you get in your current place cannot be valued (if u know what i mean)

ill advise you write your exams, stay where you are, be diligent and get promoted
You have a baby now, what if the new place wont allow for time to take care of your baby?

do some underground works o and be sure ure taking the right step
Re: Welcome To My Office by candylips(m): 1:17pm On Jul 28, 2010
@damiso

if you feel that u can progress your career in the new place i think you should at least go for the interview.

I assume u are in the uk so obviously you know that its not all interviews that lead to a job offer.

Even if it leads to a job offer u can always discuss with them about our flexible their working hrs and childcare stuff are.

I know for a fact having worked in a few companies here in the uk that most of them are very flexible.
Re: Welcome To My Office by jaybee3(m): 6:08am On Jul 29, 2010
^^^^^
Bang on point bro.
Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 11:46am On Jul 30, 2010
quiet day so far, there's not much to do, i expect my boss to come back at 4 and give us something to do that'll require us coming in to work tomo. . .i have no intention of coming here tomorrow jo. . .e don tire me. . .haba if i knew paid employment was this crappy sebi i would have taken up farming. . .
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 2:17pm On Jul 30, 2010
^^lol
You never halla. Welcome to the office!
Re: Welcome To My Office by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jul 31, 2010
Was so pissed yesterday.

A candidate was sent to HR for interview to fill a sudden vacancy.
Very pretty girl and she was sent by one of the 'biggest boys'.

I'm really pissed because she ain't qualified, she has an ok result but she has a below average IQ.
She is very pretty though but with little brains.

The unfortunate thing is that we had to pass her cos she was sent to us by one of the dons.
As a corporate organization such things don't usually happen except on rare occasions like this.
Management hardly interfere with the recruitment process and even if they do, their candidates are usually smart anyways.

Wetin person go do now, if you nor treat am well, she will tell oga at night.
Then they will start monitoring you and any small offence you commit you are given the sack.
Re: Welcome To My Office by candylips(m): 8:48pm On Jul 31, 2010
na wa
Re: Welcome To My Office by Tmoni(m): 8:56pm On Jul 31, 2010
@damiso,
welcome back and regards to the lil one and hubby
on the job front, might suggest u chill a bit at your present company and search the market later on when you are a bit stabilised (u sure do not want to combine all the baby activities with learning new procedures and policies)

@bluediva
congrats on your promotion, make we come Mama Calabar for champers??
shame to see that these practices still exist in work places, best you can do is just pay no attention to it

@tkb417
nice cradle to grave advise you have posted there
am trying to get my people to do the same thing but "business as usual" has been in the way and the whole office is in malaga

@netose
looks like its you running the whole show there, make you try ooo
just remember, when construction reach, my services are for hire,

@Oga Ajanlekoko
Might be time to finally conquer the "what if" scenario and start considering going  full time with your PP and hopefully, it keeps you happy and richer

@topic, next post
Re: Welcome To My Office by Tmoni(m): 9:14pm On Jul 31, 2010
@Topic,

Last week has been mad, had to work also saturday and sunday, not half days ooo, i even did overnight on sunday till monday morning, reason?

Government is our ultimate client and those guys can just wake up one minute and decide they want something on a certain date and we have to haul ass to ensure its done, my apartment was more or less sleeping quarters

Senior management want to make us permanent staff (project team are all contract staff), I have told them with me doing 3 peoples work, i will jeje resign and carry my self somewhere else

Anybody wondering, pay is much much lower as a permanent staff and I definately cannot continue "juggling" these positions and take an approx 40% pay cut, we wait and see sha, if we cannot agree on something then i bounce nicely

On work itself, after 6 months of desgn, i just found out that my design engineers have made a school boy error, they have proposed to build a tower on a "high pressure gas feeder line", made friday go ballistic and monday will be mental (@nestose, it was during a HAZ9 meeting we found this out), we looked like clowns in frnt of the client,

Well, finished work for today and hope to see how the week goes, might have to scream @ someone on monday

@guys in the technical or engineering field, do you have an idea the going daily rate for a project planner is in naija, spoke to some agency and i will want to have an idea of market rates before we make applications, would i also be paid in naira or can i hold out for euros??
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 9:54pm On Jul 31, 2010
BlueDiva:

Was so pissed yesterday.

A candidate was sent to HR for interview to fill a sudden vacancy.
Very pretty girl and she was sent by one of the 'biggest boys'.

I'm really pissed because she ain't qualified, she has an ok result but she has a below average IQ.
She is very pretty though but with little brains.

The unfortunate thing is that we had to pass her cos she was sent to us by one of the dons.
As a corporate organization such things don't usually happen except on rare occasions like this.
Management hardly interfere with the recruitment process and even if they do, their candidates are usually smart anyways.

Wetin person go do now, if you nor treat am well, she will tell oga at night.
Then they will start monitoring you and any small offence you commit you are given the sack.

If the job has nothing to do with yours, and doesn't have that much value go ahead and hire her. Make her someone else's problem, or she will be yours.

Else . . . tricky. Weigh available options, and see where you can 'push' her into. Sometimes, the good old 'she didn't make the interview' trick works, if you have enough candidates, and the position is a bit important.
Re: Welcome To My Office by Nobody: 10:55am On Aug 01, 2010
^^^^
She ain't working under me so no qualms.
I only feel employing someone who ain't that smart because she's connected ain't fair.

BTW, she's already been employed and she was the only candidate.
It was a vacancy which just popped up and one of the ED's said we should fix her up.

It ain't really an issue though.
I only brought it up to reaffirm that anything goes in Naija.

@bluediva
congrats on your promotion, make we come Mama Calabar for champers??
shame to see that these practices still exist in work places, best you can do is just pay no attention to it

Thanks ma broda.
Eat to your fill for Mama Calabar on me. wink
Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 12:48pm On Aug 01, 2010
BlueDiva:

^^^^
She ain't working under me so no qualms.
I only feel employing someone who ain't that smart because she's connected ain't fair.

BTW, she's already been employed and she was the only candidate.
It was a vacancy which just popped up and one of the ED's said we should fix her up.

It ain't really an issue though.
I only brought it up to reaffirm that anything goes in Naija.

Thanks ma broda.
Eat to your fill for Mama Calabar on me. wink
i really should tell you what goes on in my office, then

@thread
hung out with a bunch of young skilled(and underpaid)engineers like myself yesterday. . .lol. We had mad fun o. . .but thing is, i discovered it's not only the power sector that doesn't treat young engineers well, met some dude, works in one of the top 5 construction companies in nigeria and still earns crap, (dude didn't even school in naija so it's not a matter of 'pali)', apparenty, the lebanese and israeli's are making a killing in the construction sector legally and illegaly. . .

@tmoni
could you expatiate on what a project planner does?. . .if i was planning to stay in the field, i would have giving this HAZ-thingy a go it sounds interesting.
Re: Welcome To My Office by Jcob(m): 2:03pm On Aug 01, 2010
@ Ajanlekoko, Tmoni, Tkb, Netotse, Jarus et al, fear dey always catch me whenever i go through your posts.

anyways, many hands are hitting me from different angles. Everyone wants me to get a job and settle down gradually. Those with links in Ad agencies and Banking Sectors have called for my C.V . . . . . . . . I gave it to them even though i dont have the mind of doing anything major until i complete my masters.

Please advise accordingly:
1. Is it possible to run your masters full time in Naija when into private employment?
2. This is my 9th month of co-venturing a digi ad agency, though we are still trying to make ends meet, but we meet potential clients everyday. We presented our proposal to a team of Havard MBA graduates in Naija last week and they are thinking of signing us up unto some packages. What can you say is the future of Digital advertisement in Nigeria?
3. finally, is there anything we can do for you in times of digital branding ? E ma gbe owo ile lo sita. (Don't give out what should remain in the house to outsider)

Cheers !
Re: Welcome To My Office by Nobody: 3:05pm On Aug 01, 2010
i really should tell you what goes on in my office, then

Do tell  grin

Jcob:

1. Is it possible to run your masters  full time in Naija when  into private employment?

Yes, i know people who do it.

However, there will be times when you have to sacrifice some time for one at the detriment of the other.
Either your studies or your business will bear the brunt. You choose.
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 4:22pm On Aug 01, 2010
Jcob:

1. Is it possible to run your masters  full time in Naija when  into private employment?
2. This is my 9th month of co-venturing a digi ad agency, though we are still trying to make ends meet, but we meet potential clients everyday. We presented our proposal to a team of Havard MBA graduates in Naija last week and they are thinking of signing us up unto some packages. What can you say is the future of Digital advertisement in Nigeria?
3. finally, is there anything we can do for you in times of digital branding ? E ma gbe owo ile lo sita. (Don't give out what should remain in the house to outsider)

Cheers !

On the masters, just do part time. I know we like to do everything fast in Naija. You are going to be busy enough doing a part time masters program. full time is out of it entirely . . . I guess that's why it's called full time. Even in Naija, postgrad is rather time-consuming.

On the digital advertising bit . . . that makes you sort of a competitor, cos I am involved in a digital marketing startup.
It is still early days in Naija, but we're slowly getting there. The real trick is, you need to understand how the marketing landscape and value chain in Nigeria is structured, what the ad buyers are thinking, and how the agencies work the terrain.

A job in one of the major ad agencies while you run your PP on the side is a good way for you to learn the ropes. Agencies are pretty interesting setups, and you mostly have more room to operate than the BIG COMPANY runs where people like me work. And some stubborn people like me still find time to do other things.
Let's talk about it sometime on YIM.
Re: Welcome To My Office by Jcob(m): 11:34pm On Aug 01, 2010
AjanleKoko:

On the masters, just do part time. I know we like to do everything fast in Naija. You are going to be busy enough doing a part time masters program. full time is out of it entirely . . . I guess that's why it's called full time. Even in Naija, postgrad is rather time-consuming.

On the digital advertising bit . . . that makes you sort of a competitor, cos I am involved in a digital marketing startup.   wink
NOoooooooooooooo, no competition. You are the Oga. That doesn't stop us from doing things together.

AjanleKoko:

A job in one of the major ad agencies while you run your PP on the side is a good way for you to learn the ropes. Agencies are pretty interesting setups, and you mostly have more room to operate than the BIG COMPANY runs where people like me work. And some stubborn people like me still find time to do other things.
I have done a few things with the top agencies in Naija, and can really say they are cool. the problem is just that they are just grooming themselves in the digital thingy, while some of them are even outsourcing the digital part of their project to digi agencies. Though I was trained in Creatives and Strategy, my major strength/forte lies in the virtual world where i have almost 11 years experience in testing different mediums.
AjanleKoko:

Let's talk about it sometime on YIM.

I know you are very busy. just tell me anytime you are ready. what about skype ?

Really appreciate Oga Ajanlekoko
Re: Welcome To My Office by Tmoni(m): 2:36pm On Aug 02, 2010
@Jcob,

Nice ideas, hopefully, they really come to replace the "jokes" we cyrrently have has Web Ads here in naija, its an area i have spoken about previously and currently waiting for more information from the programme developers,

And you can do your masters part time while working also, its being done by a lot of people

@netose

Basically, my main job description is wading through the scope of works (tender or contract), then developing a schedule of works that takes into account resources, time, critical milestones, Client activities, cost etc etc

When the programme is now agreed i.e (project board buy in, client acceptance, sub-contractor agreement), we now use it as a tool to monitor actual work done versus planned work then you start looking at things like earned value and indexes, so there is the regurlar battle between me and the project manager on progress (before i became acting PM & took the fight to someone else)

Well, as you are going to work in the Power sector then, you might wanna cast an eye on Harzadous areas review.

The intensity of the HAZ9 procedure depends on if its a green field or brown field site.
Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 4:50pm On Aug 02, 2010
Tmoni:

@Jcob,

Nice ideas, hopefully, they really come to replace the "jokes" we cyrrently have has Web Ads here in naija, its an area i have spoken about previously and currently waiting for more information from the programme developers,

And you can do your masters part time while working also, its being done by a lot of people

@netose

Basically, my main job description is wading through the scope of works (tender or contract), then developing a schedule of works that takes into account resources, time, critical milestones,  Client activities, cost etc etc

When the programme is now agreed i.e (project board buy in, client acceptance, sub-contractor agreement), we now use it as a tool to monitor actual work done versus planned work then you start looking at things like earned value and indexes, so there is the regurlar battle between me and the project manager on progress (before i became acting PM & took the fight to someone else)

Well, as you are going to work in the Power sector then, you might wanna cast an eye on Harzadous areas review.

The intensity of the HAZ9 procedure depends on if its a green field or brown field site.
o ok. . .that means it's people like you that are meant to deliver me from my boss. . .lol. . .i think it's mostly them very large companies that'd make use of project planning, smaller companies just use 'scope' to do everything

most of the sites in naija are greenfield, so that'd make it more intense right? and is it a full time role? or you can combine it with something else? cos i'm not very keen on sidelining the power thing just yet. . .
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 5:16pm On Aug 02, 2010
Jcob:

NOoooooooooooooo, no competition. You are the Oga. That doesn't stop us from doing things together.

I have done a few things with the top agencies in Naija, and can really say they are cool. the problem is just that they are just grooming themselves in the digital thingy, while some of them are even outsourcing the digital part of their project to digi agencies. Though I was trained in Creatives and Strategy, my major strength/forte lies in the virtual world where i have almost 11 years experience in testing different mediums.
I know you are very busy. just tell me anytime you are ready. what about skype ?

Really appreciate Oga Ajanlekoko

Bolded part is where you should be looking at for now.
I would say more, but we should not be putting our bread and butter in the public domain. grin
I'll PM you my Skype ID.

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (77) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry / What Is The Average Salary Of A Nigerian Soldier? / ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.