Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,872 members, 7,817,571 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:40 PM

Welcome To My Office - Career (56) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Welcome To My Office (147211 Views)

Photos Of My Office And Why I May Resign To Pursue My Music Career / The Ladies In My Office Are Milking Me Dry. / I Rejected A 2 Year Bond By My Office Sending Me On A One Week Course To Uk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) ... (77) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Welcome To My Office by candylips(m): 5:40pm On Jan 26, 2011
lol is it the nigerian embassy in london . is that rude security man still there grin
Re: Welcome To My Office by dayokanu(m): 6:27pm On Jan 26, 2011
cecegorz:

@DayoKanu
I think you can bail out once you terminate appointment, the retirement time frame is for people waiting for long service award. grin

So can I cash out of it? And whats the procedure
Re: Welcome To My Office by debosky(m): 10:23pm On Jan 26, 2011
candylips:

lol is it the nigerian embassy in london . is that rude security man still there grin

I didn't see the security man. grin

The service was reasonable TBH. . . .they just need to be more efficient and get Nigerians to obey simple instructions. These folk wouldn't go to other embassies without getting their payments and other stuff in order, but do it when it comes to their own embassy. Ordinary queueing up was a problem for some folk.

I wonder how much the officials get paid. . . .it must be a difficult job facing Nigerians on a daily basis.
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 11:00am On Jan 28, 2011
@Topic,
Holla at y'all!
Just completed a reasonably quiet week back at work. Took me a while to shake off the holiday blues, as I got busy with appraisals for year end, both for my subordinates and myself. We already have a management guaranteed increase due to inflation and performance targets. Since it was a brilliant year for my company, despite the mad competition, yours truly is gonna definitely celebrate.
Also walked into some insane targets for the year. The shareholders have hiked up the stakes, despite the fact that there's a price war going on out there. E go better. Let's see how well we do this year jare.

Slightly off topic, I think I feel a mid-life crisis coming on. Funny I'm not even 40 yet, but I feel so jaded with everything. I just wonder, in this high-performance lifestyle of the 21st century, if you do manage to achieve everything early, what's left for you to do at the end of your career? What do you guys think?
Re: Welcome To My Office by damiso(f): 1:05pm On Jan 28, 2011
Hello office

Been a hectic last few weeks,i am feeling so drained and its just the begginning of the year. sad,had to take on extra tasks and burdens as we have had two resignation in 3 weeks,the whole thing is really doing my head in.
I sha hope they deliberate on this bonus thing fast fast jere cos we smashed all our targets despite the tough financial climate,i al(i know i like money but don't blame me blame the ijebu blood flowing in my veins grin).Omo girl has plenty of things to do with money.

As an aside is there anyone who has taken or is taking CII exams,seems there are loads of so many other thread on other proffessional exams but cant seem to find one for it,guess i should start one myself.I think it might be the fact that the CII though international has a different syllabus than the CIIN .Also does anyone know the pay levels in the nigerian insurance industry at the moment. When i was in Nigeria i knew just Leadway Assurance and maybe Aiico had fairly decent pay levels,the other were mostly appalling.I guess its due to the fact that Nigerian Insurance industry is not as competitive or vibrant as it is here in the UK but i have to be thinking of the future as one can never know(but one should really be looking at the entrepreneurial side of things by then by God's grace)
Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 1:27am On Jan 29, 2011
Hey pple,

I'm in lagos for the weekend(thank goodness). Got my uniform this week(I gather it's meant to be called workwear) and as usual, my name was mis-spelled, na my fault say my name no common? that's enough motivation for me to be rich and famous so people dont dare mess up the spelling of my name grin cheesy tongue

Plant attachment starts on monday, I've seen the list of departments I'm supposed to rotate through. . .I'm all psyched up, I finally get to see some action, looking at powerpoint presentations don tire person. . . grin

P.S. It seems my batch has settled down rather fast, we've discovered all the dirty innuendoes you can formulate with work lingo. . . cool
Re: Welcome To My Office by zohahunt: 1:44pm On Jan 29, 2011
Hey, this is my first post and really want to have some good experience with you and your members here, I know that here I will find out the real pics of any office.
Re: Welcome To My Office by Wallie(m): 4:23pm On Jan 31, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Slightly off topic, I think I feel a mid-life crisis coming on. Funny I'm not even 40 yet, but I feel so jaded with everything. I just wonder, in this high-performance lifestyle of the 21st century, if you do manage to achieve everything early, what's left for you to do at the end of your career? What do you guys think?

What’s left to do? Quite a lot! You could (1) stray out of your comfort zone, (2) start a NGO to tackle whatever social ills you desire, (3) buy a nice 2-seater sport car, or (4) run for office. Come to think of it, I actually think the combination of 1-3 will cure your jadedness.

Also, what do you mean by “end of your career”? You never reach CEO for your company, abi? That means upward mobility is still possible:-)
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 9:21pm On Jan 31, 2011
Wallie:

What’s left to do? Quite a lot! You could (1) stray out of your comfort zone, (2) start a NGO to tackle whatever social ills you desire, (3) buy a nice 2-seater sport car, or (4) run for office. Come to think of it, I actually think the combination of 1-3 will cure your jadedness.

Also, what do you mean by “end of your career”? You never reach CEO for your company, abi? That means upward mobility is still possible:-)

Nice suggestions. Though it should be quite obvious to you that 3 is out of it, if you live in Nigeria.

As per the end of the career thing . . . I was just being metaphorical. I always scoffed at the idea of midlife crisis, but now I think I figure really well. Sometimes you just tire of the whole thing. I think, rather than aspiring to be a CEO at my current job, I'd rather start my own gig.
Re: Welcome To My Office by Chybyke07(m): 11:02am On Feb 03, 2011
I am an IT professional with experience in System Analysis, Programming (.NET) and Database Administration(SQL Server). I work with a manufacturing company and we will be implementing SAP from March 2011. I intend to develop a career in SAP. I would like to know the best way of going about this. What is the best career path for me as an ICT professional.

Thanks
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 11:24am On Feb 03, 2011
^^
In what capacity will you be involved in the SAP project, or will you be involved? Also, what do you do in your current role, are you an analyst, administrator or developer?

SAP usually cuts across various functions: finance, distribution/supply chain, product life-cycle management, materials management, business intelligence, CRM, etc. A SAP career would mean becoming either a developer, an admin, or an implementation or support person, even a trainer, specializing in any of SAP's modules.

If it's being deployed in your organization, it probably means you IT org structure would have to adjust, to provide for people who will perform any of those roles. People will have to be hired or trained. In your case, that's possibly a good place to start.
Re: Welcome To My Office by Chybyke07(m): 12:10pm On Feb 03, 2011
My current job description/KPI includes Development/Database Administration. I develop in-house applications and manage our current ERP and other applications.
I know I will be involved in the SAP project but don't know in what capacity yet.
Re: Welcome To My Office by yodiyokun(f): 9:53pm On Feb 07, 2011
Ready to tackle work this week, There is so much to do, it's unbelievable, But wetin babe go do? na to forge ahead.
Where are you all @?

Yodi
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 1:12am On Feb 08, 2011
Right here Yodi.
In bed watching Mastermind on BBC Knowledge. Much to the annoyance of the Mrssmiley
Re: Welcome To My Office by nitachi: 1:20pm On Feb 09, 2011
well my office today's a little less busy than most days.
I guess this is becos my Admin manager is not around( a little bit less structured one man buisness) the pool car which I am meant to use to do my bit of the marketing buisness is with him.
This is delaying the advertiser[sub]s in the Magazine who are meant to be the first to get thier copies(Meanyl I work in a Lifestyle and female entertainment magazine)
I am presently working on the advertisers for the March Edtiion(I work as a Marketing and Sales Executive)
Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 9:22pm On Feb 09, 2011
mennnnnn. . .i am tired.

ok, I'm on plant attachment at the older plant(built in the early 2000s), I and a colleague are the first of our type to go on plant attachment so no one has gone before us and shown them attitude. . .i'm grateful for that because I hear the older staff'll hide stuff from you if they dont like you. It's clear I have my work cut out for me cause I'm easily the youngest(in terms of age and experience) in the department (in both plants) but it'll be fun sha. . .sebi all na engineering

I've adjusted to the whole being at work by 7.30 thing, the one i'm not yet used to is walking up and down the place as if I'm trying to outdo the israelites(my JD ensures that i wont pick up any excess weight o). . .cheesy. Of which, It's official, my life would have been a bit easier if i was a few inches shorter, I'm starting to lose count of the number of beams I've walked into(thank heavens for hard hats o).

apart from mispelling my first name on my uniform, someone else now decided to re-mix my surname in my email address, sey na my fault sey my name nor common?

Oh and at the older plant it's not uncommon for them to lapse into yoruba in the middle of a RCA(root cause analysis). . .thankfully, my yoruba is better than my hausa sha!

hopefully, I'll be more frequent next week after moving to my place(yay i finally get my own bachelors pad) and sorting out my communication and culinary challenges. . .lol.

P.S. before I forget to mention, all the people I work closely with are married, the thing dey complex boys o. . .na so so wedding band I dey see everywhere. . .which ones now? I swear if it continues I go buy my own wedding band with or without wife. . .nonsense cheesy
Re: Welcome To My Office by Nobody: 9:36pm On Feb 09, 2011
^^^^

hows the dust cheesy cheesy cheesy

is mr awofodun who says aids doesn't exist still there? cheesy cheesy
Re: Welcome To My Office by tkb417(m): 10:45am On Feb 10, 2011
well done peeps

not much hapng here, still on d road/plane and hopefully by Easter, ill be stable

cheers
Re: Welcome To My Office by Wallie(m): 9:25pm On Feb 11, 2011
At times, my work could be so boring and stressful! Imagine having to write a 30 page paper describing something as simple as a freaking wheel! There’s only so much one can say and yet, I’m being told to beef it up. Even though we don’t charge the client per page, there seems to be an unwritten rule in my firm that your patent application has to be 40+ pages. Well, the 30 pages will just have to be enough…

Although it seems counter intuitive, the simplest inventions are usually the hardest to write about. We’re just 5 weeks into a new year and I need a vacation already!
Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 2:13pm On Feb 12, 2011
oyb:

^^^^

hows the dust cheesy cheesy cheesy

is mr awofodun who says aids doesn't exist still there? cheesy cheesy
I dont have any probs with the dust, it's the oil i and mud i dislike o. . .Had to wash oil stains of my uniform last night, spent half the time cursing whoever made the darn thing. . .cheesy

Dont know the awofodun guy, if he isn't related to the maintenance or production team in anyway, our paths probably wont cross grin> I checked the address book, his name isn't there, I saw that other DA guy there but I haven't been able to find him and I cant tell which plant he's in, I have only 3 more weeks here before I go back to my plant(even though my plant is just across the road though grin). How's your end?

Wallie:

At times, my work could be so boring and stressful! Imagine having to write a 30 page paper describing something as simple as a freaking wheel! There’s only so much one can say and yet, I’m being told to beef it up. Even though we don’t charge the client per page, there seems to be an unwritten rule in my firm that your patent application has to be 40+ pages. Well, the 30 pages will just have to be enough…

Although it seems counter intuitive, the simplest inventions are usually the hardest to write about. We’re just 5 weeks into a new year and I need a vacation already!

reminds me of the lab reports we were forced to write back in university.

@thread
Today makes it exactly a year since I passed out from NYSC, time flies o. . .
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 12:49pm On Feb 13, 2011
Guys,
you know, this thread was two on December 20. We seemed to have forgotten all about it. How time flies . . . grin
Re: Welcome To My Office by Nobody: 12:55pm On Feb 13, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Guys,
you know, this thread was two on December 20. We seemed to have forgotten all about it. How time flies . . . grin

and changes too

the ogas who were out to get me have done a str8up uturn. almost scary in some ways. even when i fk up , they basically brush it aside.

trying to figure out EXACTLY what is different/what changed.

anyway, i shld just enjoy it . . .
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 1:00pm On Feb 13, 2011
oyb:

and changes too

the ogas who were out to get me have done a str8up uturn. almost scary in some ways. even when i fk up , they basically brush it aside.

trying to figure out EXACTLY what is different/what changed.

anyway, i shld just enjoy it . . .

Only one reason for that . . . dem sef don tire for the whole arrangement, or they have other problems on their mind. You, my friend, are prolly the least of their worries right now. Don't fool yourself that they suddenly like you grin
Re: Welcome To My Office by Nobody: 1:25pm On Feb 13, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Only one reason for that . . . dem sef don tire for the whole arrangement, or they have other problems on their mind. You, my friend, are prolly the least of their worries right now. Don't fool yourself that they suddenly like you grin

yeah, that prolly sums it up

we did have some upheavals that may have reinforced the fact that career mortality cuts across all levels
Re: Welcome To My Office by Jarus(m): 4:39pm On Feb 13, 2011
netotse:

@thread
Today makes it exactly a year since I passed out from NYSC, time flies o. . .
and tomorrow will make it three years that this big head also passed out from that programme.

Oga Oyb, how far nao? I learnt you played host to the 'big boys' on you way home last Wednesday? Hope dem no injure you sha? grin
Re: Welcome To My Office by Dunddy(m): 3:19pm On Feb 14, 2011
im a grad of economics & work in d admin of a stock brokin firm - so boring considerin d flow of clients dese days.
Re: Welcome To My Office by Dunddy(m): 4:09pm On Feb 14, 2011
not much clients. yet my oga is encouragin me 2 bcom a chatterd stockbrokr.
wat do u tink?
pls advis me on career path.
Re: Welcome To My Office by debosky(m): 4:17pm On Feb 14, 2011
Afternoon peeps.

Sometimes I wonder whether my job title should be changed to jack of all trades. grin

The randomness of things I have to do at times beggars belief sometimes. At least things have improved since two years ago when I was plucking young pine trees from heath land as part of the job description.

The latest one is counting aeroplanes - how many flights in and how many out, to get an idea of the flight risks for going to remote desert locations.

These Algies are getting on my nerves big time - now I need to go get yellow fever vaccination because I am from naija just to get a visa. Very soon they’ll ask for hair sample to check I don’t have lice.

At this rate I will have to change my focus for marriage-for-pali from Oyinbo to Algerian. grin
Re: Welcome To My Office by candylips(m): 4:20pm On Feb 14, 2011
^^ dude u berra go marry oyinbo change ur nationality sharp cheesy
Re: Welcome To My Office by debosky(m): 4:21pm On Feb 14, 2011
^^ you get candidate for me?

The one I first find na Irish, but those ones don sharp up and no dey give husbands pali unless you live for Ireland. grin
Re: Welcome To My Office by candylips(m): 4:37pm On Feb 14, 2011
all those babes don sharp up now men.
back in the days as long as you fit supply them with ciggaratte and booze they will play ball.

Now , man most drop pepper smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) ... (77) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry / What Is The Average Salary Of A Nigerian Soldier? / ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.