Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,038 members, 7,818,068 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:49 AM

Should I Have Allowed Her? - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Have Allowed Her? (25034 Views)

My Husband Did This When I Allowed His Female Friend Live With Us / I Think Cane Should Be Allowed In Schools To Keep Away This............. / Must We Bury People With Fanfare? , Rantings allowed. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by LordReed(m): 8:38am On Jan 22, 2015
From my own reading of the scenario the statement "going to see his family" made me believe the husband's friend was married and this strange girl is indeed a side chic. I think it's rude to just walk into a stranger's kitchen and help yourself to anything without first finding out if its OK. IMO the madam was perfectly in her rights to question why she would do such a thing. When in Rome...

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by Nobody: 8:46am On Jan 22, 2015
LordReed:
From my own reading of the scenario the statement "going to see his family" made me believe the husband's friend was married and this strange girl is indeed a side chic. I think it's rude to just walk into a stranger's kitchen and help yourself to anything without first finding out if its OK. IMO the madam was perfectly in her rights to question why she would do such a thing. When in Rome...

Its funny how we all have different perceptions about different things grin
I read it as his family (parents) lived in the village and he stopped over in Lagos on his way from the airport first before travelling down

This brings us back to the kind of people you let through your door in the first instance.
We wouldnt accomodate anyone who was married but brought a concubine to our home. That in its self is more disrespectful to me and my home than anyone being in my kitchen.
I trust oga. He will tell you point blank to go find somewhere else to stay for the night.

Reminds me of an uncle of mine who brough his gf to his mums home for the night. The gist I heard was that the old mama chased them both out with stick screaming not under my roof. grin

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by bukatyne(f): 8:59am On Jan 22, 2015
chaircover:

I read it as his family (parents) lived in the village and he stopped over in Lagos on his way from the airport first before travelling down

This brings us back to the kind of people you let through your door in the first instance.
We wouldnt accomodate anyone who was married but brought a concubine to our home. That in its self is more disrespectful to me and my home than anyone being in my kitchen.
I trust oga. He will tell you point blank to go find somewhere else to stay for the night.

Reminds me of an uncle of mine who brough his gf to his mums home for the night. The gist I heard was that the old mama chased them both out with stick screaming not under my roof. grin

The wife had no say in this...

She was expecting bros and prepared adequately for him
Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by bukatyne(f): 8:59am On Jan 22, 2015
LordReed:

Behave like the Romans
Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by bukatyne(f): 9:07am On Jan 22, 2015
chaircover:
I am fully born and bred Yoruba woman and I won’t "fight" because someone else was hungry enough to cook in my kitchen

I will be more concerned that a stranger is sleeping in my home, which to me is more dangerous

What if the stranger is an axe murderer or serial killer?
If I trust you enough to sleep in my house, then you have my permission to enter my kitchen, have a bubble bath and sit your bum on my WC

But as Dami has explained, it all depends on the persons involved, their backgrounds, upbringing, personal experiences etc so we have to respect that.

In my home, a lot more activities go on in my kitchen apart from cooking and sometimes when we have guests we all sit at the kitchen table watcing TV & gisting instead of the living room. . . .. I do also hear that some people lock their kitchens and soup cupboards up, so really its different strokes for different folks.

I would be more concerned of the type of people walking through my door in the first instance.

I know this was in response to my post...

You are a Yoruba woman who has lived more than 10yrs outside the country (I might be wrong) and your perspective to some things have changed due to interactions...

I am a full born Yoruba lady who was born and bred in Lagos and lived with Ibo neighbors so I am open to cooking their food which a Yoruba lady born and bred in Ekiti might not do.

I ask you straight forward two questions:

1. If you and hubby went to one of hubby's friend house whom you have never met, will you enter their kitchen the next morning making breakfast without hubby's friend's wife giving you permission?

2. If hubby invited a friend (known to you) who brings along a lady, would you like if this lady (not known to you) wakes up the next morning and jumps into your kitchen without you permitting/inviting her to do so?

I want simple yes or no answers

(In this story, the position of the guest is not my biz... wifey, side/main/only/auxillary chick is of no concern to me; it changes nothing)

The wife's trust was inconsequential in this case... the lady was thrust upon her, what was she to do? I don't trust you, don't sleep in my house or develop trust for a lady she just met overnight?

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by Nobody: 9:13am On Jan 22, 2015
bukatyne:

The bolded are definitely different from going into the kitchen to make food without permission

Re: sex in my bedroom: better be married to do that!

It is unruly for unmarried people to have sex in someone else's house esp. married.

My point exactly! !!
There are worse things she could have done. Imo, cooking in her kitchen is not a big deal.
Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by LordReed(m): 9:19am On Jan 22, 2015
chaircover:

I think the husband was comfortable with his friend bringing a side chic which is why he'd ask his wife to apologise to her. For me it depends on how good a friend, I may allow but he will get an ear full about it and he wouldn't be getting an apology from my wife.
Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by Nobody: 9:19am On Jan 22, 2015
LordReed:

If he was married madam would have stated it clearly seeing all the other rude and insulting remarks she has made about the lady. She just wrote that last bit to add to her bile and further degradation of the lady by calling her an ordinary bedmate who feels like a main babe
Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by bukatyne(f): 9:20am On Jan 22, 2015
Ujujoan:

My point exactly! !!
There are worse things she could have done. Imo, cooking in her kitchen is not a big deal.

Funny enough, apart from the sex, those things are stuffs a guest is entitled to IMHO
Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by LordReed(m): 9:29am On Jan 22, 2015
aisha2:

If he was married madam would have stated it clearly seeing all the other rude and insulting remarks she has made about the lady. She just wrote that last bit to add to her bile and further degradation of the lady by calling her an ordinary bedmate who feels like a main babe

Yes that was bile talking but it doesn't excuse the chic from acting rudely. If she wanted to be so forward then she should have gotten her guy to go ask their hosts if it is OK. You can't enter into someone's home and just assume you can do anything.
Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by Nobody: 9:36am On Jan 22, 2015
LordReed:

Yes that was bile talking but it doesn't excuse the chic from acting rudely. If she wanted to be so forward then she should have gotten her guy to go ask their hosts if it is OK. You can't enter into someone's home and just assume you can do anything.

That's debatable and we have been debating it for hours each side with their points. I only quoted you to correct the impression that the man was married
Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by Nobody: 9:42am On Jan 22, 2015
bukatyne:

I know this was in response to my post...

You are a Yoruba woman who has lived more than 10yrs outside the country (I might be wrong) and your perspective to some things have changed due to interactions...

I am a full born Yoruba lady who was born and bred in Lagos and lived with Ibo neighbors so I am open to cooking their food which a Yoruba lady born and bred in Ekiti might not do.

I ask you straight forward two questions:

1. If you and hubby went to one of hubby's friend house whom you have never met, will you enter their kitchen the next morning making breakfast without hubby's friend's wife giving you permission?

2. If hubby invited a friend (known to you) who brings along a lady, would you like if this lady (not known to you) wakes up the next morning and jumps into your kitchen without you permitting/inviting her to do so?

I want simple yes or no answers

(In this story, the position of the guest is not my biz... wifey, side/main/only/auxillary chick is of no concern to me; it changes nothing)

The wife's trust was inconsequential in this case... the lady was thrust upon her, what was she to do? I don't trust you, don't sleep in my house or develop trust for a lady she just met overnight?

You cant ask questions and demand yes or no answers.
What you have to understand is that people are different and you cant a judge whole culture by your own standards
What you said indirectly was that anyone who doesnt have a problem with people going into their kitchens is not a yoruba girl
That I have lived abroad does not make me any less a Yoruba woman
There are a million other things that come together that makes me Yoruba

I still cant get my head round the fact that I will share a house with someone I am not that familiar or comfortable with in the first instance.
That is what hotels are for.
We have been invited to a party this weekend but its 100 miles away
We have "friends" in the city, but I wont feel comfortable sleeping in their home, so we booked a hotel close to the venue.

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by bukatyne(f): 9:44am On Jan 22, 2015
moreeni:

Technically yes. It was my bf's house and I was staying over spending some time with him. His friend came from Russia and had a girl joined him there. Its really as summarized earlier,nothing different.

Ok, then

I understand you
Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by Nobody: 9:44am On Jan 22, 2015
LordReed:

I think the husband was comfortable with his friend bringing a side chic which is why he'd ask his wife to apologise to her. For me it depends on how good a friend, I may allow but he will get an ear full about it and he wouldn't be getting an apology from my wife.

Maybe she wasnt a side chick . . .whatever that means
Ive seen side chicks become wives and I have seen fiancees dumped
Ive even seen wives dumped too cool
Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by bukatyne(f): 9:48am On Jan 22, 2015
chaircover:

What you have to understand is that people are different and you cant a judge whole culture by your own standards
What you said indirectly was that anyone who doesnt have a problem with people going into their kitchens is not a yoruba girl

I still cant get my head round the fact that I will share a house with someone I am not that familiar or comfortable with in the first instance.

We have "friends" in the city, but I wont feel comfortable sleeping in their home, so we booked a hotel close to the venue.

My questions are pretty much yes or no. I have taken into consideration the fact people & circumstances are different and specified the scenario in the OP.

You answer according to your outlook to life. If the question was thrown to me, I would have said no in both instances.

It was a straight forward question.

@ bolded, that was exactly what happened to the OP and she handled it the best way she could.

I am still waiting for your answers wink

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by Nobody: 9:52am On Jan 22, 2015
bukatyne:

My questions are pretty much yes or no. I have taken into consideration the fact people & circumstances are different and specified the scenario in the OP.

You answer according to your outlook to life. If the question was thrown to me, I would have said no in both instances.

It was a straight forward question.

@ bolded, that was exactly what happened to the OP and she handled it the best way she could.

I am still waiting for your answers wink

Under the same circumstances would you have done exactly the same thing the poster did? Yes or No

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by Nobody: 9:54am On Jan 22, 2015
chaircover:

Even if you live in the moon you are who you are. Even though you are older than so many of us here you are so respectful and truly respectful not nonsense eye service of people you dont even know and that for me comes from a rich cultural upbringing. That one doesn't fit into the tiny boxes of what others consider law doesn't make them less human or cultural

chaircover:

Side chick main chick analogy is a silly phrase developed by low self esteem women to console themselves that they are better than other women who share the same peni-s with them. If all of you have seen his peni-s you are all EQUAL in the eyes of the balls. ( forgive my french) so I never and would never understand the anaology of side and main chick

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by Nobody: 9:55am On Jan 22, 2015
Funny enough no on is blaming Cassidy . . .
Who caused the whole thing in the first instance by not protecting his gf side chick from unfriendly wives and booking a darn hotel from the get go grin

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by Nobody: 10:01am On Jan 22, 2015
chaircover:
Funny enough no on is blaming Cassidy . . .
Who caused the whole thing in the first instance by not protecting his gf side chick from unfriendly wives and booking a darn hotel from the get go grin

The smart lady blamed Cassidy na, and am sure if she was like me he go hear am
Men can be sturborn you will tell them something they won't hear till it turns south then them go begin beg lol
Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by bukatyne(f): 10:02am On Jan 22, 2015
chaircover:

Under the same circumstances would you have done exactly the same thing the poster did? Yes or No

You are answering my question with a question?

chaircover: You cant ask questions and demand yes or no answers.

Remember you said the above?

Waiting for your answer

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by Nobody: 10:11am On Jan 22, 2015
ileobatojo:

First of all, this is all an assumption, it doesn't say anywhere in the story that the madam was rude to her. Actually, the story told us the girl was the one giving madam rude looks. Second, if the madam was really rude to her, isn't it more reason for her to stay in her own lane? Afterall, she is still in the madam's house, not her's.
The madam said the girl was giving her rude looks, the madam could be lying or narrating a story to suit her case.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by Nobody: 10:14am On Jan 22, 2015
bukatyne:

You are answering my question with a question?

Remember you said the above?

Waiting for your answer

Exactly, you see that you cant judge or speak for a whole culture by your own standards
That is my point and I am sure that youve grabbed it.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by Nobody: 10:14am On Jan 22, 2015
soulglo:

You are assuming though. A few people on this thread have even pointed out that Nigerian women do this and that. So how do you know the girl did not walk in with a chip on her shoulder. She even admitted that she never wanted to be there in the first place so if anything we know for sure that she had issues with being there
True, the girl had issues being in the house but the madam also had issues with the girl, very obvious in the story.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by Nobody: 10:15am On Jan 22, 2015
BrownKnight:

The madam said the girl was giving her rude looks, the madam could be lying or narrating a story to suit her case.

No oh, married women are saints, its single women who are wrong and demonic

Married woman who forgot she was ones a babe too and may have been a side chick too but as soon as we get the ring by hook or by crook we become better than any other woman especially single ones, we are allowed to eye them, be rude to them, speak to them condescendingly, judge them and degrade them with all sorts of names
We are " married " they are single and so they are not entitled to any respect especially when we are younger and married and they are older and single.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by Nobody: 10:17am On Jan 22, 2015
aisha2:

The smart lady blamed Cassidy na, and am sure if she was like me he go hear am
Men can be sturborn you will tell them something they won't hear till it turns south then them go begin beg lol

LOL . . he will hear it o!
Personally, side chick or not, I wouldnt even go to a place that I am not comfortable with
For all we know it was that same cassidy that woke up feeling hungry in the morning
She cooked wahala . . if she didnt cook trouble . .
I wonder if the OP would have been as angry if it had been Cassidys wife of 20 years . . . .Hmmmmm

Then a few threads down the line, we complain that single ladies are being "forced" to get married. meanwhile the undercurrents actually come from fellow women. Its not the parents, its not the men . . .its us women being nasty to fellow women

Personally I would have been acomodating to the girl and given her good advise and taken her under my wing and we become "buddys" even if we dont end up being very close, but to some wives every other woman is a threat and a danger. It is well.

. It is well.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by crackhaus: 10:21am On Jan 22, 2015
chaircover:

Exactly, you see that you cant judge or speak for a whole culture by your own standards
Lol...just answer this one please:

If you and hubby went to one of hubby's friend house whom you have never met, will you enter their kitchen the next morning making breakfast without hubby's friend's wife giving you permission?
It doesn't have to be a yes/no answer, just respond as you deem fit grin

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by Nobody: 10:22am On Jan 22, 2015
crackhaus:

Lol...just answer this one please:

It doesn't have to be a yes/no answer, just respond as you deem fit grin

gerrout grin grin
Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by crackhaus: 10:25am On Jan 22, 2015
chaircover:

gerrout grin grin
cheesy
Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by Nobody: 10:25am On Jan 22, 2015
chaircover:

LOL . . he will hear it o!
Personally, side chick or not, I wouldnt even go to a place that I am not comfortable with
For all we know it was that same cassidy that woke up feeling hungry in the morning
She cooked wahala . . if she didnt cook trouble . .
I wonder if the OP would have been as angry if it had been Cassidys wife of 20 years . . . .Hmmmmm

Then a few threads down the line, we complain that single ladies are being "forced" to get married. meanwhile the undercurrents actually come from fellow women. Its not the parents, its not the men . . .its us women being nasty to fellow women

Personally I would have been acomodating to the girl and given her good advise and taken her under my wing and we become "buddys" even if we dont end up being very close, but to some wives every other woman is a threat and a danger. It is well.

Exactly don't mind these men, you will see a situation and predict how it will end they wont listen and say " baby its all in your head so and sos wife are not like that. So and so is my guy since when" then you end up on Nairaland lmao.
If I tell you how many situations I predicted to my husband that will go south and he no hear and later come dey bite his fingers you go laugh.

Even if she was a wife for 5 minutes thats the criteria for respect nah, from madam wife's narrative the lady was older than her " she looked at me with the eyes of how can i greet this small girl " but because she wasnt married she didn't deserve respect and hence should be regarded like trash from the moment she stepped in to the day they were to leave.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by Nobody: 10:34am On Jan 22, 2015
aisha2:

No oh, married women are saints, its single women who are wrong and demonic

Married woman who forgot she was ones a babe too and may have been a side chick too but as soon as we get the ring by hook or by crook we become better than any other woman especially single ones, we are allowed to eye them, be rude to them, speak to them condescendingly, judge them and degrade them with all sorts of names
We are " married " they are single and so they are not entitled to any respect especially when we are younger and married and they are older and single.
lol yes i agree especially with this part 'younger and married' 'older and single' .

From the onset, the madam already had this superior attitude, the posts reeks of it. I get the whole 'my house my rules' but this doesn't seem like it, this just looks like the madam flexing her muscles. The lady replied the madam rudely but i see the scenario as a 'gabbage in gabbage out' . The madam didn't like her anyway and the lady fed on those negative vibes.

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by bukatyne(f): 10:35am On Jan 22, 2015
chaircover:

My questions were yes or no

I was asking you as a person not even culture again... that was why I specified the circumstances

Will you go to an unknown woman's home and start cooking next morning... Yes I would, no I wouldn't etc.

@your question:

If I was the OP, will I behave the way she behaved is not a yes or no question because it is behavioral; I can frown at something and cry in reaction; some else can frown at same thing and shout.

Better Yes/No questions are

Would I have minded? Yes
Would I shout? No
Would I question her? Yes

Let me answer my own questions first as a guide

bukatyne: 1. If you and hubby went to one of hubby's friend house whom you have never met, will you enter their kitchen the next morning making breakfast without hubby's friend's wife giving you permission?

Answer: NO

bukatyne: 2. If hubby invited a friend (known to you) who brings along a lady, would you like if this lady (not known to you) wakes up the next morning and jumps into your kitchen without you permitting/inviting her to do so?

Answer: NO

I am waiting for your answers
Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by LordReed(m): 10:37am On Jan 22, 2015
chaircover:

Happens all the time doesn't give someone the right to be rude. Side chic, main babe, wife, etc that action was intrusive.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply)

Odebunmi Ashabi Celebrates Her Quadruplets 1st Birthday (Photos) / Husband Chases Out His Wife And Daughter Over Inability To Have Male Child. PICS / JSS1 Student Found In Mile 2, Lagos Needs Help To Locate His Family. Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.