Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,654 members, 7,844,131 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 03:25 PM

You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari (40461 Views)

Wars, Coups, Counter-coups Dominated My Time As Military Officer – Buhari / No Elected Public Officer Should Earn 10 Times More Than Minimum Wage / Buhari On BBC Interview:"I Will Ban The Press If They Embarass A Public Officer" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by enekentioba: 3:34pm On Feb 01, 2015
Vig86:
Nigerians are blind and wicked to themselves. Vote Buhari and suffer. He will ban tweeter, facebook, whatsApp then we all go back to 1960s. Wicked people.
. Bia Afam you sef dey talk abi. I see you.
Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by luvmijeje(f): 3:35pm On Feb 01, 2015
londoner:

For me, tyrant and dictator aptly descirbes Buhari to an extent.....whether he is loved or not. Hitler was also loved by many, FW Declerk was loved by many.

Definitions of tyrant and dictator describe Buhari to me, even if he may have had a few positives in the eyes of some.

ty·rant
(tī′rənt)
n.
1. An extremely oppressive, unjust, or cruel ruler.
2. An absolute ruler who governs without restrictions, especially one who seized power illegally.
3. An oppressive, harsh, arbitrary person: My boss is a tyrant.

tyrant
(ˈtaɪrənt)
n
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a person who governs oppressively, unjustly, and arbitrarily; despot
2. any person who exercises authority in a tyrannical manner
3. anything that exercises tyrannical influence
4. (Historical Terms) (esp in ancient Greece) a ruler whose authority lacked the sanction of law or custom; usurper

dictator
(dɪkˈteɪtə)
n
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy)
a. a ruler who is not effectively restricted by a constitution, laws, recognized opposition, etc
b. an absolute, esp tyrannical, ruler
2. (Historical Terms) (in ancient Rome) a person appointed during a crisis to exercise supreme authority
3. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (in ancient Rome) a person appointed during a crisis to exercise supreme authority
4. a person who makes pronouncements, as on conduct, fashion, etc, which are regarded as authoritative
5. a person who behaves in an authoritarian or tyrannical manner
dictatress dictatrix fem n

2. dictator - a ruler who is unconstrained by law

If the shoes fits..............................

You are entitled to your opinion but haba! I still don't understand on what basis you are comparing him to Hitler. The definition you gave reinforced my point that he was in a position to enriched himself, a position where there was no check and balance but he still refused to take the bite. I still believe his positivity outweigh his negativity, he may not be the best but he's far far better than Jonathan.

1 Like

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by joeace2020(m): 3:38pm On Feb 01, 2015
barcanista:
Bro, I will always stand for what is right despite intimidation

Bro leave them.... yet they can fund a documentary negatively portraying an opposition candidate on NTA and AIT, buy a full front page space to demonise and wish an opposition candidate death and they tell us these are unbiased press channels and buhari should let them continue to malign him when he becomes president.. but they can't tell me if theyv ever watched a documentary or a full front page advert demonising GEJ like what the press has be turned into under this evil president.

When you talk of press freedom remember that even your own freedom is defined within the limits of the constitution

4 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by ismyheal75: 3:39pm On Feb 01, 2015
Obinoscopy:
I sincerely hope freedom of the press and the social media will not be removed if Buhari wins.

Yeah, that cannot be ruled out. GMB tasked them to embark on investigative journalism rather people writing rubbish just because there is freedom. There should be prudence in journalism.
Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by ceejayluv(m): 3:40pm On Feb 01, 2015
"Buhari enslaved the nation. He gloated and gloried in a Master-slave relation to the millions of its inhabitants. It is astonishing to find that the same former slaves, now free of their chains, should clamour to be ruled by one who not only turned their nation into a slave plantation, but forbade them any discussion of their condition" - Wole Soyinka.

16 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Nobody: 3:41pm On Feb 01, 2015
Jonathan is the right candidate. Please do not vote a sadist.

11 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by ismyheal75: 3:43pm On Feb 01, 2015
joeace2020:

Bro leave them.... yet they can fund a documentary negatively portraying an opposition candidate on NTA and AIT, buy a full front page space to demonise and wish an opposition candidate death and they tell us these are unbiased press channels and buhari should let them continue to malign him when he becomes president.. but they can't tell me if theyv ever watched a documentary or a full front page advert demonising GEJ like what the press has be turned into under this evil president.

When you talk of press freedom remember that even your own freedom is defined within the limits of the constitution

May God bless you front, back, left, right and centre. I subscribe to investigative journalism.

1 Like

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Champele(m): 3:43pm On Feb 01, 2015
Jesus! This man is devil.

6 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by natureblack(m): 3:44pm On Feb 01, 2015
calebo101:
I hope Nigerians know the "change" they want. Everything about this man seems wrong. From the visible hypocrisy on his face to the outright lies being sold to the public by his apologists, Nigeria would be on a long ride if he smells power.

What annoys me most are comments made by the ignorant ones down to the outright fools such as "we should try him first, then if he does not perform after 4 years we vote him out"... Like really Would you still have the avenue or opportunity to vote in 4 years time? Would it count?

Nothing beats freedom. If the people of Egypt, Libya, Tunisia, Syria, et al, could have predicted the future, they would not have shouted change! Them for manage Ghadaffi and dem Mubarak... See where the change put them now.

Same mistake is happening in Nigeria and typically, we don't learn from the past. Bringing in a man that contributed to the decadent country today, guided by his co-perpetrators (Obasanjo, Atiku, Babangida) using the mantra 'change' is a mockery of our intelligence.
great minds think alike .......your fingers beat mine to your comment.

....the world is watching.

10 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Nobody: 3:44pm On Feb 01, 2015
enekentioba:
. Bia Afam you sef dey talk abi. I see you.
Kee onye maram ruo ulo?

1 Like

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Nobody: 3:44pm On Feb 01, 2015
Some of them know these things but partisanship won't allow them to be honest
joeace2020:

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by hansad: 3:45pm On Feb 01, 2015
tit:
people following buhari and tinubu know what they are doing.
they are simply devilish!

I am Titilola and I approve this message.

Born to rule has become more desperate for retaining political power in Nigeria, perhaps for another 100 years - more than ever before.

Issue is that most Buhari followers in the SW mistakenly believe that if Buhari becomes president, old Buhari shall soon go, then Osinbajo takes over.

But fact is that if ever Buhari becomes president, any day he is leaving or dies, a born to rule soldier shall immediately assume power, ban the press, ban public protest, buy up all oppositions against born-to-rule retaining power.

Born to rule exchanged power among its members in this manner for up to 30 years until 1999.

11 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by BabaO2: 3:46pm On Feb 01, 2015
nationwide1:
No one who is well vested in balanced history of Nigeria and believe in democracy will support Buhari unless for selfish reasons.

If embarrassing a public officer is his reason for descending heavily on the press, then GEJ would have banned Nairaland and many other media outfits.

God bless GEJ for his tolerance.
God bless Nairaland forum.
God bless Nigeria.
Common slowpoke apologist, have you quick forgotten that Jonathan and his team tried/agitated banning saharareporters?
why would he ban nairaland again, because no be ibo or ijaw man get am abi?. Nairaland is only a forum where issues are openly discussed, and because sound minded opinions are always well above jonathan apologists doesn't warrants its ban.
Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by mkbadeniyi(m): 3:46pm On Feb 01, 2015
APContherun:
For those still in doubt about the real Muhammadu Buhari, here he's. Banning the press because they embarrass a public official in a democracy as is crazy a thought as the man who contemplates it.

bro, nowadays, all these guys do is just to make money, they publish negative news, leaving positive ones, when someone says something good they won't hear. Press of nowadays work for money. Don't just be blind minded on political matters.

1 Like

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by maclatunji: 3:46pm On Feb 01, 2015
#Yawns, where were you when GEJ was hounding Raymond Dokpesi and threatening his press business because he supported IBB initially towards the 2011 elections?

A democracy goes beyond the president and you have many institutions in place to check perceived excesses like the legislature and judiciary. Which do you prefer? A Nigeria that works and provides you with security and freedom to pursue your legitimate business in any part of it you choose or one that provides death of tens of thousands yearly from unchecked violence, anarchy and decay in the name of "freedom"?

If you think the freedom of the press is absolute, check out history and Rwanda. That is where GEJ with goons like Tompolo and Asari Dokubo are pushing us to.

I am not surprised, I expect more of this propaganda from a desperate President Jonathan and the kleptocratic cabal that he wines and dines with.

3 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by mkbadeniyi(m): 3:47pm On Feb 01, 2015
tit:
people following buhari and tinubu know what they are doing.
they are simply devilish!

I am Titilola and I approve this message.
are you a Christian?
Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Nobody: 3:48pm On Feb 01, 2015
buhari is a blind fool...if he is nigerians vote him he will turn autocratic and a tyrant

i cant believe he is interested in banning the press ...

wow if he is voted for then he will even ban all social network

only myopia will vote for him
GOD BLESS NIGERIA

1 Like

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by theoctopus: 3:49pm On Feb 01, 2015
BabaO2:

Common slowpoke apologist, have you quick forgotten that Jonathan and his team tried/agitated banning saharareporters?
why would he ban nairaland again, because no be ibo or ijaw man get am abi?. Nairaland is only a forum where issues are openly discussed, and because sound minded opinions are always well above jonathan apologists doesn't warrants its ban.

All you APC supporters are shameless hypocrites and I am enjoying your demise on this thread. Loving it

6 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by fresh360(m): 3:50pm On Feb 01, 2015
barcanista:
the General never meant "ban" literarily, he actually mean the law will take it cause. It is not about stiffling, its about bringing offenders of the law to book. If they publish malicious article, they should be able to defend their publication or face the law. This to me is how societies are run. We have existing laws. Even the FOI is restrictive, some information can't be divulged to the Press or any citizen.

Are u trying to modify his word n motive of d media being banned or u are jst confused abt wat he actually said or u r trying hard nt to believe he. ActuaLly said does words

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by ismyheal75: 3:51pm On Feb 01, 2015
babyosisi:

Who is talking of Absolutes
The man justifies banning and punishing anyone who publishes a story that embarrassed the government
What is the definition if embarrassment is up to him
For instance Seun Osewa and many others would have been thrown on the slammer for allowing their medium to be used to publish articles about how despicable it is that a ruler has no valid credentials from WAEC
[size=28pt]
Are you folks daft?[/size]

If you see no sense in what Jorlons wrote above then you should be the one to check ur brain. So, the Press should be free even if they wrote that you slept with your daughter. If the stort is found to be false, I guess you would commend the press for that story right?

1 Like

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by theoctopus: 3:53pm On Feb 01, 2015
GenBuhari:
[size=18pt]Lets exercise some perspective:

The anti-Buhari biased interviewer was asking about the reasons for a decree that was issued by his military regime 20 years previously.
[/size]

How does that change anything? If he is truly a different man, he would have apologised and moved on. But he simply can't because he is an extremist. An arrogant extremist. This is the same reason he refused to attend the oputa panel. That's the real Buhari right there. Not the fake one you have been trying to sell on this forum.

7 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Nobody: 3:54pm On Feb 01, 2015
My fear has been confirmed. This man will ban Nairaland and close down major TV and radio station if they counter his government.
Godforbid.

6 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by rozayx5(m): 3:54pm On Feb 01, 2015
i can see that barcanista is trying justify his pay, so sad how someone threw his brains away all in the name of following a cattle rearer

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by kay1one(m): 3:54pm On Feb 01, 2015
mkbadeniyi:
are you a Christian?

Buddhist!
Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by rozayx5(m): 3:55pm On Feb 01, 2015
3cycle:
My fear has been confirmed. This man will ban Nairaland and close down major TV and radio station if they counter his government.
Godforbid.

that should be done in his first week in Office, but God knows his plans and wont allow him near aso rock

2 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Missonas(f): 3:55pm On Feb 01, 2015
Once a junta, always a junta undecided

2 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by vigasimple(m): 3:55pm On Feb 01, 2015
ceejayluv:
"Buhari enslaved the nation. He gloated and gloried in a Master-slave relation to the millions of its inhabitants. It is astonishing to find that the same former slaves, now free of their chains, should clamour to be ruled by one who not only turned their nation into a slave plantation, but forbade them any discussion of their condition" - Wole Soyinka.

SW and the rest of Nigeria, THINK AND THINK AGAIN OF THE ABOVE. Obedience is better than sacrifice. 'You bloody civilians' .

2 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by lacedup(m): 3:55pm On Feb 01, 2015
APContherun:
For those still in doubt about the real Muhammadu Buhari, here he's. Banning the press because they embarrass a public official in a democracy as is crazy a thought as the man who contemplates it.

I lol at peeps lik u bruv...we all want the development of china...buh we don't want the pains...third world countries (Nigeria inclusive) generally need a hard handed approach of leadership media/press inclusive in order to get to wer dey ought to be...read up up on d leadership of Mao Zedong who led d charge in revolutionising China nd u will kno wah real 'toughness n lack of freedom of speech' is....but yet d Chinese almost worship d guy cz he made China d superpower it is today....it's a pity a 21 year old lik me has to skool n adult lik u in political history....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

How PDP Leaders Betrayed Jonathan / Army Finally Grants Lagos Panel Of Inquiry Access Into The Hospital / Buhari Apologies To Nigerians Over Fuel Scarcity, Pump Price To Remain At N87

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.