Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,813 members, 7,844,635 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 03:09 AM

You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari (40465 Views)

Wars, Coups, Counter-coups Dominated My Time As Military Officer – Buhari / No Elected Public Officer Should Earn 10 Times More Than Minimum Wage / Buhari On BBC Interview:"I Will Ban The Press If They Embarass A Public Officer" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by theoctopus: 3:55pm On Feb 01, 2015
ismyheal75:

If you see no sense in what Jorlons wrote above then you should be the one to check ur brain. So, the Press should be free even if they wrote that you slept with your daughter. If the stort is found to be false, I guess you would commend the press for that story right?

Going by your own words, you should be in jail. Infact, all of you APC supporters should be in jail.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by kay1one(m): 3:56pm On Feb 01, 2015
ismyheal75:

If you see no sense in what Jorlons wrote above then you should be the one to check ur brain. So, the Press should be free even if they wrote that you slept with your daughter. If the stort is found to be false, I guess you would commend the press for that story right?

Uneducated supporter of a cattle herder! There is space in court for a libel or defamation suit! Not an outright unwarranted ban!

9 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Nobody: 3:56pm On Feb 01, 2015
APContherun:
Watch General Buhari justifying attack on press freedom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jFhDzZQ7N4

he has said it...the snake is out from the grass already.

isn't it clear now

once a DICTATOR,He always will be...its only a matter of time he'll suggest they ban us from the net for battering him.

GMB=DICTATOR + SHARIAIST

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by ochejoseph(m): 3:56pm On Feb 01, 2015
We will never vote for Tinubu via the back door,
th
Every young person need to read this http://dailypost.ng/2015/01/21/oche-joseph-otorkpa-between-president-jonathan-and-general-buhari-which-man-stands-for-the-youth/
Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by emerged01(m): 3:58pm On Feb 01, 2015
#ihavedecided
Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by BodyKiss(m): 3:58pm On Feb 01, 2015
GODDYGEE91:
Buhari's candidacy is an insult on Nigerians especially de educated elites.

Electing an illiterate 2 govern in dis 21st century is a big slap on faces of Nigerians.

Change is constant in all human endeavours but Buhari is'nt de right change we r seeking.
The devil we knw is beta dan de angels we knw notin abt.

What insult could be more on all Nigerians than that of your president and 1st lady? Maybe you should spend more time watching their videos on youtube.
Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by BraniacX(m): 3:59pm On Feb 01, 2015
barcanista:
I don't know why people are misrepresenting and twisting the words of Gen Muhammadu Buhari. As a citizen I am 100% in support of Press freedom, so is the General. However, freedom of the Press shouldn't be absolute otherwise they will be used to cause anarchy. If the press have anything against any public officer and they are really sure about it, they should publish it and allow for Government prosecution. They have to be sure and not gossip or be used to persecute officers on the pages of newspapers. However, false reportage using "our source" that will neither give a lead nor help a cause, and also fabricating news and ascribing to public officers should not only be discouraged but should be criminalised. The Whistle Blower act should be passed/strenghtened to protect those with valuable information. The Press needs to carry their jobs with ethics and checks like other professions. All arms of government have forms of checks and balance. We need to protect government officers too from false and malicious embarrassment.

Funny you should come up with this epistle to defend buhari and if I'm to be taking you serious here, probably GEJ should have arrested you by now going by your argument vis-a-vis gossip and false reportage.................enjoy this freedom you have while you still have it, you don't know just how good you have it yet! If your principal wins which if you ask me is a very big if, it will dawn on you later

Trust you to try to rationalise the irrational and defend the indefensible undecided

10 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by sunnedee: 4:00pm On Feb 01, 2015
Amya:

Please rather spend time swimming nowhere in ignorance, kindly peruse the laws of Nigeria and the constitution and know what constitutes an offence, a crime or a civil action.

I'm a Jonathan supporter, but when he goofs, rather than try to cover up for him, I just keep my mouth shut. Learn to do the same.

Wow! Maturity of the highest order.

But never mind barca, by the time he is unable to comment on nairaland or the forum is shut down by his general, him head go set.

GEJ all the way! A known devil is better than an unknown Angel.
Ciao.

11 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by ASL33: 4:00pm On Feb 01, 2015
Seunosewa is about to be jobless. grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by 9jatriot(m): 4:00pm On Feb 01, 2015
Vig86:
Nigerians are blind and wicked to themselves. Vote Buhari and suffer. He will ban tweeter, facebook, whatsApp then we all go back to 1960s. Wicked people.

Just like this this I guess.

Military, SSS seize, destroy major Nigerian newspapers

The Defense Headquarters and the State Security Service on Friday morning seized and destroyed major Nigerian newspapers in an action reminiscent of military dictatorship in the country.

It was learnt that there were random forceful seizures of newspapers including The PUNCH, at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Ikeja, Lagos, while newspaper distribution vans were stopped and searched in different parts of the country.

Distributors told our correspondent that wrappers of The PUNCH were torn, damaging the cover of some copies while several copies of The Nation, Leadership and Daily Trust were confiscated.

On the website of Leadership, the paper said, “Soldiers on Friday intercepted and destroyed newspaper copies meant for the North-West region at the Kaduna tollgate. The copies booked for South-South and South-East regions were also seized by the soldiers.”
According to the newspaper, the soldiers and SSS operatives were said to be acting on ‘orders from above.’

Similarly, The Nation stated that its distribution vans were stopped by soldiers who “waylaid the vans around the Area 1 Road, commanding the drivers to unload.”

“The same scenario occurred in Benin/Warri Road, Port Harcourt, Kaduna/Kano Road and Nasarawa/Jos Road,” it said.
Also reportedly seized were copies of the paper meant for the Warri and Benin axis. The copies were said to be confiscated by soldiers of the 3 Battalion of the Nigerian Army at Okwuokoko in Delta State.

When contacted, the Director of Defence Information, Maj. Gen Chris Olukolade, said in an electronic mail that troops embarked on a search of vehicles conveying newspapers and newsprint because of an intelligence report which indicated that dangerous materials were being moved through such vans.

“Troops this morning embarked on thorough search of vehicles conveying newspapers and newsprints across board.

“This followed intelligence report indicating movement of materials with grave security implications across the country using the channel of newsprint related consignments,” he said.

Olukolade said the exercise had nothing to do with the content, operations and personnel of media organisations.

“The general public and the affected media organisations in particular are assured that the exercise was a routine security action and should not be misconstrued for any other motive,” he added.

The State Security Service could not be reached for comments. Calls and a text message sent to its spokesperson, [b]Marilyn Ogar [/b]were not responded to.
Efforts to reach the Chairman of the Newspaper Proprietors Association of Nigeria, Mr. Nduka Obaigbena, on the clampdown were unsuccessful as several calls put through to his mobile phone did not go through. A text message sent to his number was undelivered, with delivery status stating “pending.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/military-sss-seize-destroy-major-nigerian-newspapers/

1 Like

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Nobody: 4:01pm On Feb 01, 2015
[size=18pt]Lets exercise some perspective:

The anti-Buhari biased interviewer was asking about the reasons for a decree that was issued by his military regime 20 years previously.

We are now in 2015

is it Buhari or GEJ that is raiding news paper offices that criticise the PDP govt?

is it Buhari or GEJ that is raiding opposition party campaign offices on basis of unfounded ridiculous allegations?
[/size].

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by austinbrown: 4:02pm On Feb 01, 2015
koolet:
click like if you know GMB would be addressing the press come may 29
northern press or Nigerian press? Co's I knw that idiot will neva rule us

2 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by rozayx5(m): 4:05pm On Feb 01, 2015
GenBuhari:

The anti-Buhari biased interviewer was asking about the reasons for a decree that was issued by his military regime 20 years previously.

We are now in 2015

is it Buhari or GEJ that is raiding news paper offices that criticise the PDP govt?

is it Buhari or GEJ that is raiding opposition party campaign offices on basis of unfounded ridiculous allegations?
[/size].

use your dictionary and check the meaning of ban

i know your the manager of Buhari's cattle but use the little indomie you have left in your skull and think a bit

9 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by BodyKiss(m): 4:06pm On Feb 01, 2015
Vig86:
Nigerians are blind and wicked to themselves. Vote Buhari and suffer. He will ban tweeter, facebook, whatsApp then we all go back to 1960s. Wicked people.

Could hard-reset do it for your brain. Your thinking that is...
Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Nobody: 4:06pm On Feb 01, 2015
GenBuhari:

We are now in 2015

[/size].

1920 o

2020 o

What is the common denominator?
Alhaji Buhari
He had a clear opportunity to condemn that decree and say it was wrong
He didn't
Don't hold briefs for him

4 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by o42austino(m): 4:06pm On Feb 01, 2015
APContherun:

The pig of a dictator doesn't know that press freedom is an essential element of democracy. It's very necessary for the sustenance of democracy. Aside competing strong political parties, periodic else took and independent judiciary it's propably the most essential. A strong and unhindered press keeps the govt on its toes and ensures it's doesn't descend into dictatorship.

Buhari needs to know that democracy has survived in the US, UK, France, Germany etc not just because old generals were called out to save the country in times of trouble but because the press was allowed and encouraged to flourish.
Exactly my point.
Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by viktuur(m): 4:07pm On Feb 01, 2015
Me na Linda Ikeji, I pity Pass, na prison she go get husband lol

2 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Nobody: 4:08pm On Feb 01, 2015
ceejayluv:
"Buhari enslaved the nation. He gloated and gloried in a Master-slave relation to the millions of its inhabitants. It is astonishing to find that the same former slaves, now free of their chains, should clamour to be ruled by one who not only turned their nation into a slave plantation, but forbade them any discussion of their condition" - Wole Soyinka.

STOCKHOLM SYNDROME:

Stockholm syndrome, or capture-bonding, is a psychological phenomenon in which hostages express empathy and sympathy and have positive feelings toward their captors, sometimes to the point of defending and identifying with the captors.

2 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by ishiamu(m): 4:08pm On Feb 01, 2015
GBTYO:

They are yet to fully evolve. Give them another 3 or 4 generations down the line and maybe they will understand your post.

What amazes me about this Buhari movement is how lazy and outright foolish most so called educated Nigerians are.
Any one who opposes a Buhari candidacy is naturally seen as Pro-GEJ not knowing that some of us know this fraud for who he truly is and what he represents.

Having a Buhari candidacy in our democracy is the biggest insult ever!
Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Nobody: 4:10pm On Feb 01, 2015
ASL33:
Godforbid,Nairaland isn't all about seun anymore. Its the voice of the young ones that do not have a means of communicating their grievances to authorities concerned.

Banning Nairaland is almost like sentencing a man to death without trials.
Nairaland must remain
Say no to GMB the tyrant.

4 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Ahmeduana(m): 4:10pm On Feb 01, 2015
barcanista:
I don't know why people are misrepresenting and twisting the words of Gen Muhammadu Buhari. As a citizen I am 100% in support of Press freedom, so is the General. However, freedom of the Press shouldn't be absolute otherwise they will be used to cause anarchy. If the press have anything against any public officer and they are really sure about it, they should publish it and allow for Government prosecution. They have to be sure and not gossip or be used to persecute officers on the pages of newspapers. However, false reportage using "our source" that will neither give a lead nor help a cause, and also fabricating news and ascribing to public officers should not only be discouraged but should be criminalised. The Whistle Blower act should be passed/strenghtened to protect those with valuable information. The Press needs to carry their jobs with ethics and checks like other professions. All arms of government have forms of checks and balance. We need to protect government officers too from false and malicious embarrassment.
MR MAN, JUST SHUT UP! YOUR PROPAGANDA OF "WHAT IS GOOD FOR GOOSE is not good for the gander" IS NOT SELLING TODAY! FOLD UP NO MARKET FOR YOU TODAY BECAUSE YOU ARE BURSTED

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Nobody: 4:11pm On Feb 01, 2015
With these, Nairaland will be a thing of HISTORY then.
I think its a good news for Apc e -rats.

1 Like

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Nobody: 4:11pm On Feb 01, 2015
ASL33:

grin

1 Like

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by BraniacX(m): 4:11pm On Feb 01, 2015
Amya:

Please rather spend time swimming nowhere in ignorance, kindly peruse the laws of Nigeria and the constitution and know what constitutes an offence, a crime or a civil action.

I'm a Jonathan supporter, but when he goofs, rather than try to cover up for him, I just keep my mouth shut. Learn to do the same.

How I wish I could give you more than one like wink
You indeed are a kindred spirit

2 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by gustav25: 4:13pm On Feb 01, 2015
Nigerians,forget this old cargo and clueless jonathan please......we need young bloods in our society .......we need thinking minds that will take us to the levels of ie china and taiwan or even little Mauritius and not some old animal or a zoologist .......I thought back then we sang in morning assemblies "WE ARE THE LEADERS OF TOMORROW" please where and when is this tomorrow?
Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by 9jatriot(m): 4:14pm On Feb 01, 2015
theoctopus:

Going by your own words, you should be in jail. Infact, all of you APC supporters should be in jail.

Was it Buhari that asked PEJ/GEJ's pet dog, Mbu to arrest this AIT staff for expressing his view on his controversial style of policing? This event happened in 2014 not 1983.
Those who call for equity must come with clean hands!!!

Abuse of Power: Mbu Arrested AIT Reporter, Anakwe for Calling Him Patience Dog
The Assistant Inspector General of Police (AIG) in charge of Zone 7, Abuja, Mr. Mbu Joseph Mbu, has arrested the presenter of Matters Arising on Africa Independent Television (AIT), Mr. Amaechi Anakwue, for describing him as controversial. Anakwue was said to have described the former Rivers State Commissioner of Police (CP) as controversial in one […]...

http://www.nigeriaheadlines.com/news/abuse-of-power-mbu-arrested-ait-reporter-anakwe-for-calling-him-patience-dog
Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by Nobody: 4:15pm On Feb 01, 2015
ASL33:
Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by rozayx5(m): 4:15pm On Feb 01, 2015
Ahmeduana:

MR MAN, JUST SHUT UP! YOUR PROPAGANDA OF "WHAT IS GOOD FOR GOOSE is not good for the gander" IS NOT SELLING TODAY! FOLD UP NO MARKET FOR YOU TODAY BECAUSE YOU ARE BURSTED

the guy just dey fall hand, if you see what this barcanista wrote about Buhari in the past and you see him defending the dirtiest of buhari today you will know something is wrong with him. if anybody can defend decree 4 that person is wicked

2 Likes

Re: You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari by adconline(m): 4:15pm On Feb 01, 2015
barcanista:
Amya is only emotional and probably partisan.
You are the emotional one here without facts on your side. Defamation or slander is a civil offense and a tort claim can be brought against the alleged offender. The case in court is going to read: Musa Vs Barcanista.. Compensatory damage is awarded and no JAIL time , if Musa wins the case. He needs to prove by preponderance of evidence (51% threshold ) that Barcanista indeed willfully committed slander.
State secret is a felony and the case is brought up by state ( Barcanista Vs state) . Jail time/fine/restitution could await you if the state proves its case - Beyond reasonable doubt ( 90% threshold) in some jurisdictions, a grand jury is convened to examine the case brought by the state, an indictment is handed out before the state can even charge the case to court for trial.
So publishing something against a public official doesn't fall under state secret. There is Espionage Act in the law books of Naija.

7 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Buhari Vs Atiku: Fashola, Oshiomhole, Secondus, Others Arrive Tribunal (Photo) / Sahara Reporters Employee Stripped & Arrested By Police After His GraduationPICS / Joseph Achuzie "Hannibal" Is Dead (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.