Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,065 members, 7,810,968 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:44 PM

Let's Boycott The UK Visa For One Month - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Let's Boycott The UK Visa For One Month (8838 Views)

Should Nigerians Pay £3000 For UK Visa Bond?? / How Easy Is It To Get Belgium Visa For Education / France Cancels Transit Visa For Nigerian Passengers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Let's Boycott The UK Visa For One Month by RichyBlacK(m): 1:45am On Jan 16, 2009
I love this idea, but it needs better planning, preparation and publicity. More time is needed.
Re: Let's Boycott The UK Visa For One Month by Treetop20(m): 2:03am On Jan 16, 2009
l[i]ol
Nigeria made UK what it is today because
your clansmen built the M4[/i]
Re: Let's Boycott The UK Visa For One Month by duduspace(m): 3:01am On Jan 16, 2009
ogbronx:

black people have a very serious problem.this guy suggested something and for that you want to hang him.no common front and ideology.we are the first to kill a brother before a foreigner.i really pity the nature of blacks

Please, could you outline in what ways this suggestion benefits Nigeria that makes it an attractive option to pursue? I hope you are not implying that we should accept suggestions only because it comes from a fellow black person/Nigerian.
Re: Let's Boycott The UK Visa For One Month by danedrol: 9:22am On Jan 16, 2009
Exactly the point!
Why should the suggestion work?
Not with people who are ready to
have your head should you suggest
that they drop their travel dreams for just one second.
Re: Let's Boycott The UK Visa For One Month by cvibe: 9:55am On Jan 16, 2009
This Boycott is only possible in dreams.
Re: Let's Boycott The UK Visa For One Month by Nobody: 12:41pm On Jan 16, 2009
@ Post, UK-Nigeria gist is always an interesting read for me anyday.

I will support the actions of the UK embassy which portrays a caring and responsible government. It is a known fact that the Uk economy is in crisis. Reasons are well known to all, from collapsed mortagage to collapse financial institutions to overstretched facilities and overpopulation.

As a responsive government, you need to control population especially when the economy is shrinking which is why visa denials will continue to be a good measure to achieve that. Think about it, UK has opened borders to EU, has mutual agreement with many countries (US, Antigua, Barbados, SA etc) to enter the country visa free if they are staying for 3months. Now imagine how much lost revenues they are incurring as a result of such diplomatic arrangements.

The only way to make up for these lost revenues is to milk from other countries (Nigeria inclusive).

While i sympathise with those denied visa (i'm also a victim), I'll rather see it as an act of a responsive government trying to protect her heritage. Therefore i will not support any boycott.
Re: Let's Boycott The UK Visa For One Month by felifeli: 2:24pm On Jan 16, 2009
Babalaw0:

I will support the actions of the UK embassy which portrays a caring and responsible government. It is a known fact that the Uk economy is in crisis. Reasons are well known to all, from collapsed mortagage to collapse financial institutions to overstretched facilities and overpopulation.

As a responsive government, you need to control population especially when the economy is shrinking which is why visa denials will continue to be a good measure to achieve that. Think about it, UK has opened borders to EU, has mutual agreement with many countries (US, Antigua, Barbados, SA etc) to enter the country visa free if they are staying for 3months. Now imagine how much lost revenues they are incurring as a result of such diplomatic arrangements.

The only way to make up for these lost revenues is to milk from other countries (Nigeria inclusive).

While i sympathise with those denied visa (i'm also a victim), I'll rather see it as an act of a responsive government trying to protect her heritage. Therefore i will not support any boycott.

In case you don't know this reads familiarly like the sort of  long-winded letter a UK government official will write you when about to destroy your dreams / permanently  f**k up your life  grin grin
And you can almost hear the sadistic giggling as you read your letter and lose your appetite for the day .Are you sure you don't work for HM ?.
Re: Let's Boycott The UK Visa For One Month by Nobody: 3:20pm On Jan 16, 2009
lol, I dont work for HM but wont mind working for them sha, lol

I've only pointed out the reality. Take me up on any of the facts and ill explain further. Dont forget i'm also a victim.

Cheers mate!
Re: Let's Boycott The UK Visa For One Month by presido1: 6:03pm On Jan 16, 2009
To be honest what they do in Nigeria is Diplomatic robbery. If you go to US embassy they collect half of the Visa fee first, after ur interview and your are successful you pay the remaining fee and collect your visa. That is Understandable as the first part of the fee is called service charge which is nonrefundable. Why can't the British embassy do the same.

Boycott will not work as you can see from the posters here.
Re: Let's Boycott The UK Visa For One Month by felifeli: 8:58pm On Jan 16, 2009
Babalaw0:

lol, I dont work for HM but wont mind working for them sha, lol

I've only pointed out the reality. Take me up on any of the facts and ill explain further. Dont forget i'm also a victim.

Cheers mate!

Nope , I have experienced my share of UK and seen quite a bit of those sort of letters --   from employers, from council, from IR , in fact from anyone (especially civil servants)  literate enough and in a position to write a  hope-destroying letter (Therefore I regret that I will not . . . . . [manic giggling in background]- I know, I've also worked with council before cheesy ). You are not a victim, you've been saved a lifetime of trauma mate  grin grin
Re: Let's Boycott The UK Visa For One Month by cold(m): 10:38pm On Jan 16, 2009
wat's gwan?can sombody plz bring me up to speed, cos i'm lost.
Re: Let's Boycott The UK Visa For One Month by Princek12(m): 3:17am On Jan 17, 2009
I think a lot of Nigerians like to leave the country not because they are suffering, but just to get a breathe of fresh air from a country whose air is saturated by pollutants, infrastructure is in a state of decadence, flickering power (courtesy of Nepa), smelly and trashy dilapidated roads e.t.c. Even the most affluent people want to leave that country sometimes, especially to take a hiatus from the noise of their gargantuan generators,  noise from their pumping machines that pump water from their boreholes to their elevated tanks, and the whole pyschological stress of driving around and avoiding holes on the roads; also, I find driving around trashy roads and the preponderance of mosquitoes that can suck all your blood repugnant.

For me, the mere freedom ( which money cannot buy) would be a reason to take a break out of Nigeria. As a long time resident of the U.S., i find the freedom of commuting anytime of day or night is something I terribly miss anytime I go to Nigeria. I approach driving at night in Lagos with caveat; those money-hungry policemen and the ever confident armed robbers are always on the prowl in search of money, especially from anyone that has the appearance of wealth, whether local  resident or overseas visitor.

Until the government fixes these infrastructural problems, the amount of Nigerians applying for UK, US, and foreign visas will not decline. I really understand the author's plea for a boycott, but it appears the impetus for his boycott was his denial of a UK visa, and, perhaps, calling for a boycott is a vehicle to express his frustration. The amount of Naijas that flock to dubai  and South Africa ( a substitute for UK and US ) has been on the rise-- hey, some of them may just be taking an aesthetic vacation-- to see a beautiful environment so that they can see the beautiful side of life and, for residents of Lagos who leave the country, perhaps to purge their lungs of toxins accumulated because of pollution.
Babalaw0:

Re: Let's Boycott The UK Visa For One Month by Nemeziz9ja: 11:46am On Jan 17, 2009
Pellow Nigerians, its interesting to read about all your comments on this post so far and what is life without variety anyway, I am tempted to answer some posts directly but for all its worth, I have only made a suggestion (and its execution is in planning, so watch out all you skeptics). After all, nobody thought Obama from Kenya will be the first AFRICAN-American US President this decade, but look at how he used the media to manipulate them all, till tomorrow.
I am not calling for the boycott because I have been denied entry to the UK, I have been there and enjoyed the visit and if anyone had bothered to read my post well, the issue is with transparency and what happens behind the scene for applications they obviously have no right DENYING. I have seen people with 5 years UK visa validity being denied for no reason other than the fact that the ECO feels they should not visit UK any longer
Another issue that also spurs my call for boycott is their insidious branding of people's passport with their refusal stamp. For genuine travelers carrying these brand, its a "do not honor" signal at other embassies in Nigeria no matter how legitimate your intention to travel might be. I have seen people also denied other countries visas just because UK denied them visas and the Consular Officer made reference to it. Like; I am sorry but why would the UK embassy denied you a visa and that was all the reason given.
Of course, I know Nigerians for who we all are and thats why we have fools as our LEADERS and thieves as our RULERS. Everyone at one time or another has been disenfranchised with the government and so, they rather speaks for themselves when it favors them. So, to some of you, calling for a boycott is like saying we should petition Yar'dua to resign for inactivity; a pipe dream.
Someone mentioned US visa application, well that will be a post for another day.
And for the poster that referred to my signature here, I stand my belief of what NIGERIA has been, is and is turning into; a persistent anomie and a total aberration of intelligent collectives led by fools, its shows how much our intelligence goes to help us in self emancipation. Its the English people that named us NIGERIA in the first place ke!
And for those that believe Nigeria has not contributed to the development of the UK, think about the guy who has a nice relationship to the taxman and the billion barrels of crude oil the UK oil companies have siphoned from Nigeria, paying kickbacks to the Nigerian leaders over time. The English Kingdom has always relied on his conquest far and wide to sustain their economy, Africa, Asia, Caribbeans, its all the same.
The call for a boycott remains a dream chasing a NIGERIAN reality. cool
Re: Let's Boycott The UK Visa For One Month by emonkey(m): 12:44pm On Jan 17, 2009
I can remember that someone posted a link to a similar online petition some time ago . I am not sure how that went. Here is the link again http://www.rateoga.com/?q=node/136
Re: Let's Boycott The UK Visa For One Month by Nobody: 2:02pm On Jan 17, 2009
@Nemeziz,

Again, i'll restate that the UK Home office has the right to treat us anyhow as long as we have unreliable leaders and we cant do anything about it. How many times have you answered calls for against bad leadership in Nigeria in the past (which includes boycot of GSM services, NLC strike, British Airways, 5 million man march against PHCN, 20 million petition against police amongst others). I can bet you didnt know some of these happened.

Hence, if we can not hold our Govt responsible for bad leadership and gross failure, we will have no justification to complain about the British Govt. Afterall, na jeje dem sit down wey we go apply for visa!.

@ Feli feli, u forgot to add "on this occasion", lol
Re: Let's Boycott The UK Visa For One Month by Nemeziz9ja: 2:23pm On Jan 17, 2009
@ Babalaw0
I agree with you that the Home Office has the right to treat us as they like at "their home" but in Nigeria, the case should be different and I am sure our passivity is predictable that is why they do not mind doing what they like here.
I also mentioned that I know "Nigerians" for who they are; its always "my own thing" our collective is always fraught with selfishness which is what our government also personifies and hence holding them responsible will fail.Its obvious in each of these cases that you mentioned and I am very aware of them notably the NLC strike. You must also understand that in all your examples, the closest to effecting change is the NLC strike because it cripples activity. When you are dealing with insane people like we have in our government, million march is a crowd gathering a nice view, petition is just a list of signatures and names and will not bite but a BOYCOTT is avoidance and denial of patronage and I am sure that bites anywhere.
We can not hold our government responsible because we did not give them our mandate and as sorry as that may sound I am not holding the British government accountable for the failure of my government either but for the quality of service they give in my country and I am not waiting for a sick government led by a sick individual to this for me.
Re: Let's Boycott The UK Visa For One Month by Nobody: 3:14pm On Jan 17, 2009
Well said bro. Our views are not entirely divergent. We can only hope for the best.

Cheers.
Re: Let's Boycott The UK Visa For One Month by felifeli: 6:34pm On Jan 17, 2009
Babalaw0:

@Nemeziz,

Again, i'll restate that the UK Home office has the right to treat us anyhow as long as we have unreliable leaders and we cant do anything about it. How many times have you answered calls for against bad leadership in Nigeria in the past (which includes boycot of GSM services, NLC strike, British Airways, 5 million man march against PHCN, 20 million petition against police amongst others). I can bet you didnt know some of these happened.

Hence, if we can not hold our Govt responsible for bad leadership and gross failure, we will have no justification to complain about the British Govt. Afterall, na jeje dem sit down wey we go apply for visa!.

@ Feli feli, u forgot to add "on this occasion", lol

Haba Oga Babalawo you want oyinbo to sack me ? Okay.  .  .  .

Therefore I regret that I will not . . . . . on this occasion .  .  .  . [and i hope you have a heart attack and die after reading this my letter you stupid monkey] He !  He!  He!  He!  He!  He!  grin grin grin grin grin grin [Emi were oyinbo]
Re: Let's Boycott The UK Visa For One Month by felifeli: 6:56pm On Jan 17, 2009
@ Nemeziz9ja , Babalawo et al
On a more serious note that petition at http://www.rateoga.com/?q=node/136 looks promising though if handled right. I suggest that you join in organising a massive signing of the 5000 man petition and see where it goes from there. the merit I see in this one is that it is not asking for BOYCOTT but demanding that applicants be given sufficient information to help them decide if their visa will fail or succeed - on a "need to know" basis. Afterall if you are in the UK you are entitled to be given a very detailed reason why any application made to a government establishment failed. In my irritating fashion I attach .

Re: Let's Boycott The UK Visa For One Month by bright2e(m): 10:42pm On Jan 17, 2009
my guy pls i no want make them close the embassy oh, my wife never come, just to say i dont support you thanks
Re: Let's Boycott The UK Visa For One Month by pazuzu(f): 5:51am On Jan 18, 2009
its so interesting to read this UK visa boycott. i live in south africa and have been here for  7years. i remember applying for a uk visa in 1996 when my mother was dying of cancer in london, where she lived. i applied of a visa but was refused cos they said i was too young, i had no proper job, no property and no proof that i was going to conme back to nigeria.i had to watch my mothers funeral via vhs tape that was brought back by my cousins.

when i came to south africa, i applied for my uk visa a year after i was married, was called for an interview and was issued the visa immediately. when my 6 month visa expired, i applied again via a courier service and was issued a one year visa. after that expired, i applied again and was issued 2 years and evenutually now i have a 10 year visa and also a south african passport too.my point here is that its the country you live in that determines how you will be treated at the visa office. i would not have been issued any visa if i still lived in nigeria. we have genuine nigerians who want to go and visit london but most hide out there and want to stay forever.

how many nigerians have gone to london with somebody else's passport or been issued a 6 month visa and never come back to nigeria? its those people that ruin the chances of genuine people getting in to britain. shikena!!!!
Re: Let's Boycott The UK Visa For One Month by nadico(m): 5:53pm On Jan 19, 2009
I would only support the boycot only if we will conduct a census of the number of people who are willing to comply. I was denied a student visa myself just last two weeks on the excuse that i was not able to convince the ECO that my sponsor is really my aunt. I dont know whether they want me to send in an extended family picture. Those guts for sure are worse than heart breakers. i now intend pursing my studies here here niger. Farewell ukvisa till my children might need a visa.
Re: Let's Boycott The UK Visa For One Month by Nemeziz9ja: 4:31pm On Jan 20, 2009
@ Pazuzu
You have hit the nail on the head jare.
Its just so unfortunate that these guys do this with impunity here. Silly excuses that even an idiot can figure out.
This is just out of sync,
And if you are afraid that they will close their embassy because of the boycott, fine; after all they are not the only embassy in Nigeria or study abroad location in Europe.
Re: Let's Boycott The UK Visa For One Month by travelcare: 5:34pm On Jan 23, 2009
[qThe English Kingdom has always relied on his conquest far and wide to sustain their economy, Africa, Asia, Caribbeans, its all the same.
The call for a boycott remains a dream chasing a NIGERIAN reality. cool

[quote][/quote]

A new form of colonization. They will always depend on the resources of Africa for their own development yet they claimed to be a developed country. The content of your post shares my view/opinion on this UK Visa thing. To all new comers and potential travelers, I would NOT advise you to boycott, just keep trying, who knows when you'll win that thing that seems like 'baba ijebu lotto' to some people, do your home-work properly and pray. Your time is now.

For professional advice and assistance, contact:

Travelcare Consults
Akinola Akingbala chambers
17 Ashabi Shonuyi street
Ijeshatedo, Surulere
Lagos.
Tel: 08023809767, 016663622
Email: travelcare.consults@gmail.com
Re: Let's Boycott The UK Visa For One Month by hackney(m): 5:13am On Jan 30, 2009
Boycott or not ; they no send oo! believe me. once shell dey fit drill,they no wan here any other thing.
Re: Let's Boycott The UK Visa For One Month by danedrol: 1:04pm On Feb 16, 2009
@hackney

True
Re: Let's Boycott The UK Visa For One Month by deb(m): 2:56pm On Aug 25, 2009
what is it that is so special about UK sef? Anybody that want to boycott should go ahead jare.
Nothing do you
Re: Let's Boycott The UK Visa For One Month by frankkky: 7:18pm On Aug 28, 2009
personally i think the uk is trying a lot,do you know how many nigerians are granted visas everyday?come on,so many nigerians visit the uk on a regular basis than any other country in europe,so what are we talking about?almost every friend i know tells me oh i just visited london last week,truth is uk visa is given when u meet their requirments,simple and end of story
Re: Let's Boycott The UK Visa For One Month by ereyomi: 4:25pm On Sep 15, 2009
@ pazuzu
interestested in a site you have
how do i mail you cos i have questions i would like to ask you
i have seen and visited the site but still i have questions
please i hope you don't mind
how do i send you a about all the questions i have
Re: Let's Boycott The UK Visa For One Month by Cholls(m): 10:55pm On Apr 08, 2022
My brother you wan make them swear for you lol

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerians In Costa Rica / Air France: What Is Baggage Allowance? / St.kitts And Nevis (visa Free)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.