Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,317 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:09 AM

Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo (27122 Views)

Chinedu Nebo: Nigeria Is Angry With Igbos' Growth, Development / Why Power Supply Improved Under Buhari, By Nebo / Forces President Buhari Must Fight To Fix Electricity – Chinedu Nebo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by drshrewd: 2:38pm On Feb 10, 2015
shocked this Nebo of a guy ain't an engineer at all. saying 1MW = $2b it means 1000MW=$2 trillion grin. an amount four times as substantial as the economy of Nigeria? this guy must be as clueless as his oga grin

2 Likes

Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by OdenigboAroli(m): 2:39pm On Feb 10, 2015
iiichidodo:
Steady power supply is not same with uninterrupted power supply....get this right before you campaign for Buhari,ironically,who started the rot in the system....the same rot GEJ is working 24 hours to clean up with gradual success.....let us look forward and not throw the water along with the baby.

I hate when people who know nothing about governance think they are experts. The rot in Nigerian power generation didn't start with Jonathan but everybody wanna cruify him just because they have a handle on the media and they wanna use the clueless Buhari to make their way to Aso Rock ,so they can continue stealing like they did for well over 30yrs....The west are very wicked!

1 Like

Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by Burger01(m): 2:40pm On Feb 10, 2015
Akon419:
you mean WE? You mean niger delta money or we money?
Where is niger delta, Niger state? smiley

Go siddon joor smiley
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by 76Naira(m): 2:40pm On Feb 10, 2015
What else do we expect from a corrupt team?
Take us to the 10MW you could have and leave the rest to the next government!
With people of your ilk, there would be no innovations or inventions just more about things we cannot do.
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by mmsen: 2:40pm On Feb 10, 2015
OdenigboAroli:

Nigeria is doing what they can. And I hate when you compare Nigeria to Countries not even 1/3 of our population. Stop living in fools paradise and begin to realize Nigeria is a very poor country. Your crude oil is not enough. Nigeria was run down by many previous administration and now you wanna put the blame on Jonathan....The same north that put on in this present condition is the same people you wanna vote in and expect a change.

Just out of interest - do you think it would be better if each state took care of its own power needs?

Much of Nigeria's problems could be solved if the Federal government became weaker and the states took care of their own needs and their own people - afterall it is much easier to hold leaders to account on a local level than on the national.

3 Likes

Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by JeffreyJamez(m): 2:41pm On Feb 10, 2015
Acidosis:
I've always known this fact.

Only a lunatic will promise Nigerians (in all local governments and creeks) stable & uninterrupted power.

It is impossible in Nigeria. Even when you supply all the megawatts and "terrawatts", some Nigerians are ma. d, they'll purposely cut off cables, steal transformer parts, destroy poles, refuse to pay bills, and several other atrocities.

If you vote in any government (FashoRAT, Boko_hari or JonaTAN) thinking he'll provide you constant electricity, then you are a lunatic.

This fact goes beyond monetary factors. Its more of psychology and up-bringing as a nation.

Before we talk about providing electricity and maintenance; first, we need to fix, and reconstruct the brains of all Nigerians, including you reading this.

Quote me wrongly, and get yourself a thunderous slap.

GBAM!!!!
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by tunde1200(m): 2:41pm On Feb 10, 2015
Imagine shameless GEJ saying this...

rusher14:
But Jonathan told Christine Amanpour that the whole of Nigeria was enjoying electricity why the contradiction?

1 Like

Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by fairheven: 2:44pm On Feb 10, 2015
Only in naija...last week it was reported that CBN had giving out loan to DISCOs so they can fund their power projects An I kept asking myself wat kind of policy somersault is this Kwainvestors are supposed to be the one giving money to the government,but in our own case,its the government that is donating money to investors,that's after privatization how did we end up with Jonathan as a leader?
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by lexxwiz(m): 2:45pm On Feb 10, 2015
Acidosis:
I've always known this fact.

Only a lunatic will promise Nigerians (in all local governments and creeks) stable & uninterrupted power.

It is impossible in Nigeria. Even when you supply all the megawatts and "terrawatts", some Nigerians are ma. d, they'll purposely cut off cables, steal transformer parts, destroy poles, refuse to pay bills, and several other atrocities.

If you vote in any government (FashoRAT, Boko_hari or JonaTAN) thinking he'll provide you constant electricity, then you are a lunatic.

This fact goes beyond monetary factors. Its more of psychology and up-bringing as a nation.

Before we talk about providing electricity and maintenance; first, we need to fix, and reconstruct the brains of all Nigerians, including you reading this.

Quote me wrongly, and get yourself a thunderous slap.
You're a bigger F.o.o.l than you appear. Not only that you won't have constant power, you'll remain in darkness 4 a very long time. Truth!!!
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by mmsen: 2:45pm On Feb 10, 2015
OdenigboAroli:
Why do average Nigerian keep thinking Nigeria is a rich country Are you people that dumb?? Because they hear Nigeria has crude oil they erroneously think that makes Nigeria rich. You are living beyond your means...Senators and Reps members earn more than some local government can afford,annually. Your schools are in their worst states,hospitals are butcher houses and 4/5 of your roads are death traps. The oil Nigeria have will not be enough if you factor your huge population and demand for basic amenities. Nigeria need to start living within their means...Okonjo Iweala said this.

There is enough if you use it well. What you said about the politicians is correct which is why I would like to see a weaker Federal government and the Senators and Reps made to earn much lower salaries.

The Nigerian civil service as a whole is too bloated and cumbersome.

2 Likes

Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by Sunky200: 2:45pm On Feb 10, 2015
why disclosing his calculated fact in London, why not in Nigeria?
this is exactly what Yaradua did when confessed that the election that brought him to power was rigged..

why are most of our leaders afraid of telling the truth to. their people while they go far away disclosing the truth.?

we deserve better

1 Like

Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by ProsperUSA: 2:46pm On Feb 10, 2015
[size=28pt]Corrupt Prof.Nebo.
It is impossible to provide constant uninterrupted electricity for Nigeria whereas it is absolutely possible for him to provide himself and his family with electricity by using German/USA/Japan-made automatic silent state-of-the-art electric generator just because CORRUPTION allows him to do STEAL and buy whatever he wants. They will surely paid for their corruption one day.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by OdenigboAroli(m): 2:47pm On Feb 10, 2015
mmsen:

Just out of interest - do you think it would be better if each state took care of its own power needs?

Much of Nigeria's problems could be solved if the Federal government became weaker and the states took care of their own needs and their own people - afterall it is much easier to hold leaders to account on a local level than on the national.

But the north doesn't want a weak center because that will expose their dependence on the southern oil. They want an arrangement where they can have a say on how the oil money is distributed. Presently,Kaduna,Kano and Sokoto has no oil but they get more than Abia and Imo put together....Now,about states taking care of their energy needs alot of states are already doing it but you kniw these things take time and lots of money...But I can promise you that a state like Anambra will soon get there.

1 Like

Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by Nobody: 2:49pm On Feb 10, 2015
iiichidodo:
Steady power supply is not same with uninterrupted power supply....get this right before you campaign for Buhari,ironically,who started the rot in the system....the same rot GEJ is working 24 hours to clean up with gradual success.....let us look forward and not throw the water along with the baby.

You don't get my point.

Nebo is sounding like OBJ's power people did back in the day....and look at where we are.

Oh well.....Nigerians are too contented. Better we stop being too content.
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by genearts(m): 2:51pm On Feb 10, 2015
$2billion dollars per megawatts?? Ah don't believe that
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by ogene007: 2:52pm On Feb 10, 2015
JeffreyJamez:

Wait o.....so anyone who airs his opinion that's not in favor of a party supports the opposition?!.... what makes you think I give a rats assss about you and your politics?..... FYI I don't even own a PVC not to talk of supporting any fvcken party... na them dey feed me ni?.....better dey use the grey matter inside your head before you quote me o....I no dey smile today o!.....political Bigot!!..
Then stop posting silly stuffs here with the intention of misinforming people. The more your type keep away from creating confusion on social media, the better for the deluded followers of the Jihadist APC gang.

1 Like

Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by saintneo(m): 2:52pm On Feb 10, 2015
Seguunod:
Miinister of Power, Prof. Chinedu Nebo, says it is impossible to provide constant, uninterrupted electricity to everyone in Nigeria in the near future.

Speaking with newsmen in London over the weekend, the minister said: “Nobody in the world can provide 24/7 electricity everywhere in Nigeria”, adding that 160,000 megawatts would be needed to do that. The current capacity is 4,500 megawatts.
“The cost of providing electricity per megawatt on average is $2billion. To get to where South Africa is, you will need about $3.2trillion (about N672trillion). Where will you find that kind of money?” he asked.

In addition to the huge amount of money involved, Prof. Nebo said power projects also take time to come to fruition, stressing that it takes between four and six years to deliver the power projects.
“You don’t buy these things off the shelves. It takes time to design, study, procure, manufacture, install and commission”, he said, but explained that the government had done so much on generation capacity, transmission and distribution infrastructure, which are key necessities in power supply.

He said 20,000 megawatts was needed to ensure constant power supply to major cities in the country that have been connected to the national grid, but said it would require a lot of resources and time to achieve the feat.

The minister further said the current facilities and infrastructure on the ground had the capacity to provide more than 5,000 megawatts in the country, but lamented that some saboteurs were bent on ensuring that the target is not achieved by vandalising gas pipelines on a regular basis.

He emphasised that the demand for electricity in Nigeria is so huge that “no matter what you do, once electricity gets to a place, people acquire more facilities, buy refrigerators and air-conditioners, and before you know it, what you think is enough for everyone has to be shared by so many people”.

He also said solar power could go a long way in solving Nigeria’s power problems, especially in the rural areas, disclosing that three communities, including Durumi in the suburbs of Abuja, have enjoyed 13 months of uninterrupted electricity since the start of the pilot scheme in December 2013.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/daily/news/46468-uninterrupted-electricity-impossible-in-nigeria-now-nebo

I cant imagine this after all the trillion of dollars spent on power by the 16yrs reign of PDP in Nigeria

There is so much embezzlement in the power sector. By my calculations, 1W power generation using solar power and storage systems costs about N150 to N250; thus generating at 1MW should be N250 million and if we include other unforeseen costs N500 million($2.5 million)annually will generate power at the rate of 1MW. Consequently, to produce power at the rate of 160GW we need a budget of $400 billion annually. This is just one-eights of the $3.2 trillion wanted by the minister.

We need optimists to lead this country not pessimistic bureaucrats.

4 Likes

Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by synergycom19: 2:53pm On Feb 10, 2015
We know that's why we want you guys to return to research laboratories where you truely belong,remember to take your certificates along with you.
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by Nobody: 2:56pm On Feb 10, 2015
Bunch of perpetually clueless kleptos always adducing dumb/un-tenable xcuses for their inadequacies!.....haven't seen light d past 5 days in my hood despite d scam bills!!! #CHANGE IS INEVITABLE!

1 Like

Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by mmsen: 2:56pm On Feb 10, 2015
OdenigboAroli:

But the north doesn't want a weak center because that will expose their dependence on the southern oil. They want an arrangement where they can have a say on how the oil money is distributed. Presently,Kaduna,Kano and Sokoto has no oil but they get more than Abia and Imo put together....Now,about states taking care of their energy needs alot of states are already doing it but you kniw these things take time and lots of money...But I can promise you that a state like Anambra will soon get there.

I would guess that the reason that you gave is correct.

As to your claim that Anambra would succeed in providing power within its borders, I suspect that Enugu, Akwa Ibom and Cross River would also find a way.
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by ransomed: 2:57pm On Feb 10, 2015
I use electricity for Twelve days in a month but, made to always pay for full month. This is one of the reasons we have to consider to vote out people with defeatist mentality. CHANGE is sweeping out corrupt, incompetent and clueless one. A former dictator is far BETTER than a FAILED incubent gentleman.

2 Likes

Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by Nobody: 2:58pm On Feb 10, 2015
Complete B.S!!!

Power per MW is not 2 billion dollars anywhere in the world, where is this dude getting his stats from?

Also, we still don't have COAL power plants, which is a major source of electricity in U.S, South Africa, e.t.c. Yet, we have coal in Nigerian not being mined, isn't that crazy?

We are tired of excuses!

As someone on here rightfully said, Dubai is a city built from the desert, from nothing and they have all basic amenities and more.

Iboris loot of 230 million pounds could make a nice splash in power for Delta alone, we're just not focused enough men, at all!

2 Likes

Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by fairheven: 2:59pm On Feb 10, 2015
OdenigboAroli:

I hate when people who know nothing about governance think they are experts. The rot in Nigerian power generation didn't start with Jonathan but everybody wanna cruify him just because they have a handle on the media and they wanna use the clueless Buhari to make their way to Aso Rock ,so they can continue stealing like they did for well over 30yrs....The west are very wicked!

Its a shame that we have leaders wu can't tink to save their lives,but to even see that we have citizens wu belif that solutions to nigeria's problems are "rocket science"is more disheartening.
You mean a government that has spent nothing less than 15billion dollars on power an yet we don't have up to 10,000MW is on the right path,or wat r u trying to justify?
About 1.3billion is suppose to give nothing less than 1000MW,but check our power generation,we are actually going down.shey na juju?

1 Like

Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by ogene007: 3:00pm On Feb 10, 2015
ProsperUSA:
[size=28pt]Corrupt Prof.Nebo.
It is impossible to provide constant uninterrupted electricity for Nigeria whereas it is absolutely possible for him to provide himself and his family with electricity by using German/USA/Japan-made automatic silent state-of-the-art electric generator just because CORRUPTION allows him to do STEAL and buy whatever he wants. They will surely paid for their corruption one day.[/size]
If your Buhari had half the integrity that Prof. Nebo has, the north would have been a better place than UAE. For you to refer the well respected Prof Nebo as corrupt clearly shows that your type and your mentor Buhari are really deranged and need to be put in an asylum for lunatics. Buhari can never achieve the credibility that Prof Nebo has, even if he is given 50 more years to work on his criminal records. Your type are the consequence of the tragedy of the present nigerian society where criminals who have evaded the law will later put themselves up for political office, simply by sheer propaganda and falsehood. Evil people and their evil APC party. By the mercies and grace of God, GEJ will win the elections convincingly.
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by danate78(m): 3:00pm On Feb 10, 2015
I am not surprised at Prof Nebo's claim.

The problem with the power instability is the centralization of the power infrastructure.

In most countries where power is stable, each province/state and even municipality/city (e.g. New York city) generate, transmit, and distribute electricity through private corporations.

Until states like Lagos are allowed to lure private companies to power the state and other South-West states through a state or regional grid instead of the failed national grid and other states/zones follow suit, Nigeria shall NEVER achieve stable power supply.

In Plateau where I was raised, there is a power company known as NESCO which is far more efficient than PHCN when it comes to power supply. I have been told that NESCO has the capacity to supply stable power to Plateau, Nasarawa, and even Benue state. The problem is that even if NESCO generates such, it will be transmitted and distributed through the national grid and you guys know what will happen.

That is the reason why the power infrastructure in Nigeria needs to be decentralized - without that we will NEVER attain stable power electricity supply.

3 Likes

Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by genearts(m): 3:00pm On Feb 10, 2015
fairheven:
Only in naija...last week it was reported that CBN had giving out loan to DISCOs so they can fund their power projects An I kept asking myself wat kind of policy somersault is this Kwainvestors are supposed to be the one giving money to the government,but in our own case,its the government that is donating money to investors,that's after privatization how did we end up with Jonathan as a leader?

Jonathan in broad day light opened his eyes and sold our power facilities to investors that don't hv d finance to run and improve the sector. same ppl dat donated to his campaign came runin bac to borrow as small as 10billion naira. Oh we are finished
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by OdenigboAroli(m): 3:02pm On Feb 10, 2015
mmsen:

I would guess that the reason that you gave is correct.

As to your claim that Anambra would succeed in providing power within its borders I suspect that Enugu, Akwa Ibom and Cross River would also find a way.

Akwa Ibom ? I wont doubt it but I haven't heard anything from Enugu and Cross River? I said Anambra because of the man Obiano...The man is very aggressive you might even say desperate to lift the state high.
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by drshrewd: 3:03pm On Feb 10, 2015
drshrewd:
shocked this Nebo of a guy ain't an engineer at all. saying 1MW = $2b it means 1000MW=$2 trillion grin. an amount four times as substantial as the economy of Nigeria? this guy must be as clueless as his oga grin

this people are eating us dry just check out this info about a SA power plant

Medupi Power Station is a dry-cooled coal-fired power station being built by Eskom near Lephalale in Limpopo province, South Africa. According to Eskom, the name chosen for the station, Medupi, is a Sepedi word for "rain that soaks parched lands". When completed, the power station is to have six boilers each powering an 800 MW turbine, producing 4800 MW of power. It is expected to become the largest dry-cooled coal-fired power station in the world. Alstom will provide the steam turbines, Medupi will be supplied by coal from Exxaro's Grootegeluk coal mine, located north of the site. Eskom has placed a contract with Exxaro to supply 14.6 MT of coal per year for 40 years. The first 800 MW unit is expected to be commissioned in the middle of 2015, with the next units following at nine-month intervals. The power station is currently expected to cost R170 Billion

please just take note of the power generated and the cost. work out the cost of generation per MW. compare it to the one presented by our dubious minister and laugh at our stealing is not corruption government grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin ; grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by JeffreyJamez(m): 3:06pm On Feb 10, 2015
ogene007:

Then stop posting silly stuffs here with the intention of misinforming people. The more your type keep away from creating confusion on social media, the better for the deluded followers of the Jihadist APC gang.

You would be silly if you believe that hogwash that man said.... $2billion per megawatt?!!..... something is wrong with all of you!! angry angry

1 Like

Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by BlackBaron: 3:06pm On Feb 10, 2015
Biggest economy in Africa cannot generate more than 4000MW despite the $billions invested.

Later, some Jonathanians would come to a lie bigger than the devil can, of how they enjoy 'improved electricity'. Besides, start asking questions of how the next Government would solve this issue, because right now no one there has a roadmap to solve this problem.

Most of the Ministers selected for their posts don't have an iota of what that position entails. e.g Obanikoro and co. They are simply slotted in to fulfill promises to friends and cronies hence why most do not achieve anything in office nor are they required to honourably resign with nothing to show for it.

There should be a comprehensive audit of what the power sector lacks, then tabled, published for technocrats to critically analyse and offer a blueprint to power. If the best proposal comes from the opposing party, adopt it...least that's what they do in developed societies.

Don't forget year on year, as more people and companies import electronics and machineries respectively, there'll be continued need for increase in power. At this stage, it seems unlikely to happen in the next 6 years for anything close to an 18 hour power supply round the year for anyone.

1 Like

Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by PlutoLA(m): 3:06pm On Feb 10, 2015
Can you imagine this bastard asking where we'll find that kind of money? Chai I weep for this country. All we need is just 10% if all the money being embezzled by those devils in government and we'll be good to go.
God,you can let out suffering continue like this. God pls help us get rid of GEJ and his heartless cohorts.
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by Nobody: 3:12pm On Feb 10, 2015
Was is not this same Nebo that said in 2013 that very soon generator importers would go out of business? These people are so unreliable and irresponsible. If they really want at least a near perfect result,why can't they start with the solar power and let's see how it goes.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Army Relocates Special Forces Training School To Buni Yadi / In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste / 64 Senators, 151 Reps Fail To Return To National Assembly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.