Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,506 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:27 PM

Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo (27124 Views)

Chinedu Nebo: Nigeria Is Angry With Igbos' Growth, Development / Why Power Supply Improved Under Buhari, By Nebo / Forces President Buhari Must Fight To Fix Electricity – Chinedu Nebo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by DWJOBScom(m): 7:31pm On Feb 10, 2015
Acidosis:
I've always known this fact.

Only a lunatic will promise Nigerians (in all local governments and creeks) stable & uninterrupted power.

It is impossible in Nigeria. Even when you supply all the megawatts and "terrawatts", some Nigerians are ma. d, they'll purposely cut off cables, steal transformer parts, destroy poles, refuse to pay bills, and several other atrocities.

If you vote in any government (FashoRAT, Boko_hari or JonaTAN) thinking he'll provide you constant electricity, then you are a lunatic.

This fact goes beyond monetary factors. Its more of psychology and up-bringing as a nation.

Before we talk about providing electricity and maintenance; first, we need to fix, and reconstruct the brains of all Nigerians, including you reading this.

Quote me wrongly, and get yourself a thunderous slap.

An intelligent analysis and I agree with you but the slap my brother is not necessary na
People don't want to think anymore - they just listen to the lies and poo told by politicians and believe them without doing a research on their own
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by Acidosis(m): 7:34pm On Feb 10, 2015
DWJOBScom:

An intelligent analysis and I agree with you but the slap my brother is not necessary na
People don't want to think anymore - they just listen to the lies and poo told by politicians and believe them without doing a research on their own
cheesy

Thank u; the slap part is a minor threat stationed for annoying folks

1 Like

Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by ronkeenuf(f): 7:38pm On Feb 10, 2015
Till date I still wonder what Barth Nnaji did to achieve increased power supply.

Till date I still wonder why he quit

Till date I still wonder why Jonathan let go of such an achiever
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by ogene007: 7:41pm On Feb 10, 2015
Ovamboland:

For starters the 8MW IPP built in Lagos island cost about 6 billion naira, that is less than 1 bn naira per MW, who no go school now?

The average benchmark depending on if your plant is hydro, gas, coal or nuclear fired is $1Bn per 1000MW, your prof is olodo grin
Can you provide the cost of transmitting it to Abuja for instance, then distributing it to consumers, say in Kuje? You should also factor in the cost of running a gas pipeline to that facility if you are to ensure constant gas supply. You have not addressed the business model that ensures that it is profitable for any prospective investor. It is the attitude of people like you that has made the sector to remain moribund for decades.
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by ollyruffy: 7:45pm On Feb 10, 2015
One of the top reasons to vote the Otuoke man out of government.

Stable power is not possible ONLY in Nigeria
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by gbodimowo(m): 8:29pm On Feb 10, 2015
babs01:
Why is it dt In Nigeria only good governance is impossible but all forms of corruption are highly possible nd in highest order with dis present govt. do we need a change or we should stick to dis govt?
hit like for change or share to stick wit GEJ.
Btw, is dis what they called FTC?

they keep lying as if we don't know what's happening outside they should stop bamboozling us we refuse it
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by gbodimowo(m): 8:30pm On Feb 10, 2015
dguyindcorner:

such money cannot be found but can be embezzled.

u r on point
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by gbodimowo(m): 8:31pm On Feb 10, 2015
nke001:
Nebo should resign if he cant deliver... Sadly, he is saying the truth.

*Critically analysing the frastructures on ground, there is need for total overhauling of both infrastructures and human resources.
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by nellychuks(m): 8:33pm On Feb 10, 2015
If we Nigerians can take up this Project Nigeria to God in prayer, earnest prayers, the way we analyse and critique. We ought to be singing victors' song by now. Let us return to God in repentance and seek His face through His Son Jesus Christ. It's not too late! You can, it's possible!!!
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by gists: 9:00pm On Feb 10, 2015
Acidosis:
I've always known this fact.

Only a lunatic will promise Nigerians (in all local governments and creeks) stable & uninterrupted power.

It is impossible in Nigeria. Even when you supply all the megawatts and "terrawatts", some Nigerians are ma. d, they'll purposely cut off cables, steal transformer parts, destroy poles, refuse to pay bills, and several other atrocities.

If you vote in any government (FashoRAT, Boko_hari or JonaTAN) thinking he'll provide you constant electricity, then you are a lunatic.

This fact goes beyond monetary factors. Its more of psychology and up-bringing as a nation.

Before we talk about providing electricity and maintenance; first, we need to fix, and reconstruct the brains of all Nigerians, including you reading this.

Quote me wrongly, and get yourself a thunderous slap.

Guy, sorry to say but you are wrong. I didn't want to comment on this thread but now I feel like I should add a point or two.The problem is these jokers in government are either not serious, not smart enough or they just lack political will.
Have we bothered to ask how come some serious private companies like flour mills are able to generate power on their own? I know of other companies making plans to generate power from gas. These companies will achieve their goals very soon while people like Nebo will still be telling us why and how it is impossible. While I agree that it will take a huge amount of money to meet 100% of Nigerian electrical needs on a national scale, it is possible to greatly improve this abysmally low availability if generation is decentralised AS A SHORT-TERM MEASURE!
Flour Mills generate about 14MW, I think Nigerian Breweries generates its own power too (though not sure) and I know Consolidated breweries is planning something similar as the contract has been awarded to get gas from one of the gas companies.

Why can't there be a short-term solution where the Present Discos (the interface between the customers and the electricity supply chain) are allowed to generate power for there localities (even if it is just a percentage of what is required to augment the little coming from the national grid) while the long term measure of building bigger power stations; fixing and expanding the transmission capacity progresses. Are we supposed to wait for 9 years to build another hydro power plant? Osinbajo said something about decentralisation which is why I think their government may be able to do something in the short term.

For me these jokers are just not patriotic. If Nebo buys PZ plc today, he will find a way to get gas and generate power in two years maximum.

1 Like

Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by aresa: 9:10pm On Feb 10, 2015
Nothing on earth is impossible, but seems impossible because we have corrupt and incompetent people running things..

In fact, this kind of shallow, incompetent , self defeatist and can't do this and that talk shouldn't be coming from a public official.

The standard rate per 1000MW is $1 billion so our stolen $20 billion = 20, 000MW
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by fyneguy: 9:31pm On Feb 10, 2015
ogene007:

You should factor in the cost of generating, transmitting and distributing 2 megawatts capacity to consumers. He was not talking about generation alone.

How did he come about the cost of transmitting and distributing 1MW? Do you think we all are naive When did they start costing Transmission and Distribution infrastructures per MW? Na wa o

2 Likes

Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by jerrymej(m): 9:56pm On Feb 10, 2015
Waiten concern me with thieves!!!
they brought NEPA now not even up to 30 minutes they took it, and you're there saying what I can't bear. Abegie make I go take my bath before I sleep with this heat.
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by Sensicut(m): 11:02pm On Feb 10, 2015
It is a lie self bcus for nigeria government to said their generating 4500 megawatts definetely we can't generate less than 1500 bcus one phcn boss have told us like that
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by udeh3(m): 11:25pm On Feb 10, 2015
For the guy that used d calculation of 1 Watt when using a solar system to compare what Prof Nebo is saying needs to redo his calculations
Electrical energy production is not about cables or dam, but it's a complex system of operation where before you make used of your reading lamp at home lots of processes have been involved. Talking about the generation, transmission and distribution. Yes we need change, but note, change is not instant rather is a gradual process

As for the inverter calculation you did for 1W using solar system, I think you have to recalculate. For one to be able to produces as small as a powr of 1W, one needs a photovoltaic cell called a solar panel, an inverter, a battery charger and a battery (a deep cycle). My final year poject was d design and construction of a modified sine wave 1kva solar powered inverter, may I tell you that the construction of d inverter was not contracted out, I still spent about #100,000.00k only. That is only on just IKVA not even 5kva, nt to talk about 1MW. I think Prof Nebo knows what he meant

I stand to be corrected. Godbless Nigeria!
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by billyG(m): 12:01am On Feb 11, 2015
No be PDP na dia ways.d judgement of jah is coming soon on those thieves,economic sabotuers angry angry angry
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by billyG(m): 12:17am On Feb 11, 2015
udeh3:
For the guy that used d calculation of 1 Watt when using a solar system to compare what Prof Nebo is saying needs to redo his calculations
Electrical energy production is not about cables or dam, but it's a complex system of operation where before you make used of your reading lamp at home lots of processes have been involved. Talking about the generation, transmission and distribution. Yes we need change, but note, change is not instant rather is a gradual process

As for the inverter calculation you did for 1W using solar system, I think you have to recalculate. For one to be able to produces as small as a powr of 1W, one needs a photovoltaic cell called a solar panel, an inverter, a battery charger and a battery (a deep cycle). My final year poject was d design and construction of a modified sine wave 1kva solar powered inverter, may I tell you that the construction of d inverter was not contracted out, I still spent about #100,000.00k only. That is only on just IKVA not even 5kva, nt to talk about 1MW. I think Prof Nebo knows what he meant

I stand to be corrected. Godbless Nigeria!
Q/S;how comes ethiopia use $4.6billn to get 6000mw in 5yrs,dam,generators,equipments & all,how comes.
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by Binutiri(m): 12:17am On Feb 11, 2015
....check out sweden of 9 million population....electricity...
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by Barcholder: 5:29am On Feb 11, 2015
Finally, we get the truth from a Nigerian politician about the true state of the Nigerian power sector. And it's absolutely no surprise to me that the truth was spoken to journalists in London, and not Nigeria.

I've been around Nigeria over the last 2 years, telling them that it is an impossibility to provide 24 hours of power to Nigerians over the next 15 years, due to the sheer vastness of the power deficit compared with demand. This is currently calculated as 160,000 Megawatts, but that's based on the current population of Nigeria, at an estimated 170 million people. The population is estimated by the World Health Organisation to reach 500 million by 2050, making us the 3rd most populous country in the world, behind China and India. The power supply will therefore need to increase by approximately 9,500 Megawatts PER YEAR, more than double our current TOTAL power supply, just to remain exactly the same as it is now and keep up with population. In other words, we need to add 9,500 Megawatts per year, just to stand still.

The only realistic solution to Nigeria's power problem is the widespread rollout of distributed Solar Power across homes and businesses. Many Nigerian's are finally seeing sense and are going Solar at a rapid rate, as the Founder and CEO of Solynta Energy, Nigeria's largest Solar Energy company, I can attest to that fact.

However bleak the prognosis looks at the moment, I'm very confident that Solynta Energy will solve the Nigerian power crisis, in exactly the same way that MTN solved the Nigerian communications problem. Nigeria will begin to see a dramatic improvement in their power supply through the rapid deployment of Solar Power, and the gradual phasing out of generators. The following well known companies are now Solar Powered by Solynta Energy, with reliance on their generators completely eliminated:

Mr Biggs
Union Bank
MRS Filling Station

in addition to countless homes and businesses, all now enjoying uninterrupted power from Solar Energy, at a cheap price.

Regards

Uvie
Founder & CEO
Solynta Energy

1 Like

Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by persius555(m): 6:43am On Feb 11, 2015
i cant wait to have governor Babatunde Raji Fashola as the next minister of power. The tide is about to change. Vote the stealing party out. March 28, 2015. We will wait for them @ the polls.
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by ability19: 6:52am On Feb 11, 2015
How dare dis foolish man. Say we dont have 3.2 trillion to get dis lite on he is part of the thieves association of nigeria dats why he is sounding dis daft i dnt blame him...upon all d money dey have stole and dey r stil stealin dey say we dnt have money... God dis guys need delieverance seriously
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by Umarmusa1988(m): 8:26am On Feb 11, 2015
Pls Mr, be optimistic nothing is impossible. coolPls Mr, be optimistic nothing is impossible.
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by mmsen: 11:37am On Feb 11, 2015
Binutiri:
....check out sweden of 9 million population....electricity...

Sweden is an economically irrelevant, sparsely populated nation of 9 million.

How is that an appropriate comparison?
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by drshrewd: 11:41am On Feb 11, 2015
ogene007:

Your assumptions are putting you n error. The Prof gave an average holistic cost that factors in cost of gas pipelines/supplies to the GENCOs, cost of evacuating over very long distances running into hundreds over kilometres of transmission, cost of distribution facilities to different class of consumers. Please, don't come here to cast aspersion on people that are far more educated and informed than you are. You simply do not have data on the specifics of what the erudite Prof was talking about.

what is this uninformed one blabbing SA built Medupi power station $4,800MW for less than $16b and you are telling me its logicall to build same in Nigeria for over $4 trillion grin. I see how reasonable you are

1 Like

Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by udeh3(m): 7:42pm On Feb 11, 2015
Q/S;how comes ethiopia use
$4.6billn to get 6000mw in
5yrs,dam,generators,
equipments & all,how
comes.
Come to think of it, what year was dat, what is d exchange rate of their currency to dollars then, how is d topography of nairobi and how populated are? I don't have d statistic but you can stil reflects on d questions above. Even d inverter you talk about has a very high initial cost although d running cost is cheap. Nigeria with a population of above 160 million cannot b anywhere compared with any african country. The professor said that statement abroad, if he was not sure of what he said, he wouldn't even dare say dat knowing his perdigree. God help nigeria!
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by ceejay80s(m): 11:55am On Feb 12, 2015
ocelot2006:

You are a BLOODY FOOL!! Was GEJ in power for 16 years OR just 5/6 years? What the hell did the likes of GMB, OBJ and co do to resolve this power issue that has plagued this nation from time immemorial? Yet you have the audacity to insult me. You must be a demented goat. Blockhead.
Senseless hegoat
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by fairheven: 11:49am On Feb 13, 2015
ogene007:

I don't want to say that your post is moronic, but your comment on the availability of gas is similar to someone saying that africa should not be complaining of drought in sahara desert when we have the atlantic ocean that can supply water to the entire desert. Now let me educate you, we are flaring gas because the cost of building infrastructure that will harness the gas and make it available to the GENCOs whose facilities are scattered across the entire country is not cost effective. The figures involved is in the region of billions of dollars, not to talk of the fact that the investment of the gas companies would need to be protected from the regular vandals and saboteurs who are bursting the gas pipelines. Prof Nebo was speaking holistically when he was providing the figures he gave in his address, and it is just goes to show that some people are not qualified to process and objectively analyse some data that are being made available by the technocrats in GEJ's government.
It is something in our DNA to have leaders wu claim to have the well-withall,an inttelligent enof to tackle our critical challenges only to turn around an kerp giving us excuses why things can not work..are u aware thay Nigeria is sbout yhe only country that still flares gas in the word over? Wu are the sabotours?wt happens to billions giving to Asari dokubo to guard our pipelines?Tompolo is buying warship that nigerian Navy doesn't have,wu do u blame,isn't thst a clear failure of leadership,when will your govt.ever gif us "one reason "y tins can work,instead of a dozen reasons why thry can't work,isn't leadership about solution?
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by aparazi: 8:57pm On Sep 17, 2016
let us all keep believing, there is hope for Nigeria still
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by MaziOmenuko: 10:01am On May 26, 2017
persius555:
i cant wait to have governor Babatunde Raji Fashola as the next minister of power. The tide is about to change. Vote the stealing party out. March 28, 2015. We will wait for them @ the polls.

wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Defend Yourselves Against Killer Herdsmen - Governor Ortom Tells Benue People / Gbadamosi: My Statement Linking Sowore’s Release To Attack On GEJ Mere Suspicion / 602 Repentant Boko Haram Members Swear Oath Of Allegiance To Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.