Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,659 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:32 PM

Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo (27128 Views)

Chinedu Nebo: Nigeria Is Angry With Igbos' Growth, Development / Why Power Supply Improved Under Buhari, By Nebo / Forces President Buhari Must Fight To Fix Electricity – Chinedu Nebo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by revolt(m): 3:13pm On Feb 10, 2015
ogene007:

If your Buhari had half the integrity that Prof. Nebo has, the north would have been a better place than UAE. For you to refer the well respected Prof Nebo as corrupt clearly shows that your type and your mentor Buhari are really deranged and need to be put in an asylum for lunatics. Buhari can never achieve the credibility that Prof Nebo has, even if he is given 50 more years to work on his criminal records. Your type are the consequence of the tragedy of the present nigerian society where criminals who have evaded the law will later put themselves up for political office, simply by sheer propaganda and falsehood. Evil people and their evil APC party. By the mercies and grace of God, GEJ will win the elections convincingly.
but sincerely let's face facts, barth spent few months as power minister, we clearly saw the difference.
Immediately Nebo came in, everything went back to normal.

Pls the nebo no try
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by mmsen: 3:14pm On Feb 10, 2015
OdenigboAroli:

Akwa Ibom ? I wont doubt it but I haven't heard anything from Enugu and Cross River? I said Anambra because of the man Obiano...The man is very aggressive you might even say desperate to lift the state high.

Cross River has had back-to-back competent leaders at state level and the level of corruption appears to be significantly less than elsewhere. They seem to have gotten into a stride of rational leaders even though the allocation from the Federal government that they now get has been reduced.

I added Enugu because of what I've seen on the ground when I was last there. It's possible that I got an overwhelmingly positive impression of the state but many of the same positives that can be found in Uyo are also evident in Enugu. It doesn't hurt that the city has a number of enterprising citizens.
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by fairheven: 3:17pm On Feb 10, 2015
drshrewd:
shocked this Nebo of a guy ain't an engineer at all. saying 1MW = $2b it means 1000MW=$2 trillion grin. an amount four times as substantial as the economy of Nigeria? this guy must be as clueless as his oga grin

My brother am surprised that nobody challenged him on spurious and dumb statements...2billion dollars shud fund nothing less than 1,500MW,obviously they are stealing the money if that is the case
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by dmcdad: 3:18pm On Feb 10, 2015
J12:
Nigerians like lies but Nebo is a venerable. He's not a politician and he's not someone who's known to lie to cover his arse.

The truth is that, Nigerians should begin expecting improved power supply next year.

So many power projects are on the pipeline, some of them will be on board from next year to 2017.

Also, economic saboteurs are dragging us back with their vandalism of gas pipelines. There are no personal financial gains to be made from vandalizing gas pipelines, it is only a deliberate attempt to frustrate the efforts of the government towards achieving their power and electricity objectives.

Nigerians don't understand this, all they want is their manna from heaven.
No offense please, but the emboldened is a senseless statement. Are you saying after waiting for 50+ years, constant power supply should not be envisioned? To equate constant power supply with manna would mean you know not what manna implies. Moreover, why is it only in Nigeria that you hear or read about excuses for failures in almost every sphere of our lives? If we continue like this, we will get to a century old after independence, and even then, we would have nothing to show for it. We would still clamour and complain of how saboteurs vandalise the pipelines and all that bullcrap.

Tell me, as big (agbaya, lol) as we are, we are still generating 4500MW, and you still have the guts to post the above? I'm sorry, but you have a long way to go.

Generation of 4500MW of electricity should be for an industrial state like Lagos alone and not the entire nation. How about building nuclear plants? How about using coal? You think the likes of China and/or US generate astronomical amounts of electricity by a source alone? For the most part, The US uses Nuclear as the major means for generating electricity. They also use coal, hydro, gas pipelines, etcetera.

If pipeline vandalisation is hampering the major means we have, why not we diversify? Besides, diversification is needed whether there is pipeline vandalism or not.

2 Likes

Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by ogene007: 3:19pm On Feb 10, 2015
JeffreyJamez:

You would be silly if you believe that hogwash that man said.... $2billion per megawatt?!!..... something is wrong with all of you!! angry angry
I'm pretty much certain that you did not go to school because f you did, you will not come here to advertise your ignorance. The problem in nigeria today is that social media has afforded all manners of characters to come online to spew thrash. I implore you to do a little research of the profile of Prof Nebo before coming here to advertise your idiocy. When the Erudite Prof says it costs 2 billion USD per Mega watts, he knows what he is talking about. Those of us who are well informed know that the man is absolutely correct and that is why we are not queuing up behind the cattle rearer and mooing 'change' like one of those his 150 cows.
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by JeffreyJamez(m): 3:22pm On Feb 10, 2015
ogene007:

I'm pretty much certain that you did not go to school because f you did, you will not come here to advertise your ignorance. The problem in nigeria today is that social media has afforded all manners of characters to come online to spew thrash. I implore you to do a little research of the profile of Prof Nebo before coming here to advertise your idiocy. When the Erudite Prof says it costs 2 billion USD per Mega watts, he knows what he is talking about. Those of us who are well informed know that the man is absolutely correct and that is why we are not queuing up behind the cattle rearer and mooing 'change' like one of those his 150 cows.

See this one!... mister know all.... you think say 2billion dolls na 2 billion naira ba...... anyways Politics has beclouded your mind... I'm done talking to you......

1 Like

Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by RaptorX: 3:23pm On Feb 10, 2015
AreaFada2:

You know in 9ja truth is bitter, so nobody says it.
We like to believe somebody who is not OPEC or World energy market promising to stabilise crude oil price. grin

OBJ was both President & oil minister for much of the time, spent billions of dollars yet barely made a dent on electricity supply.

Until we go for nuclear energy, constant light will be elusive.
Nuclear energy will buy us time to develop and harness green alternatives like wind, solar on a large enough scale.
Nuclear energy in a country like Nigeria? You think the international community will allow nuclear energy plants in an irresponsible country like Nigeria with a poor maintanance culture. Go read up on the ongoing nuclear meltdown in Japan.

2 Likes

Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by relagze: 3:24pm On Feb 10, 2015
Segunod:
Miinister of Power, Prof. Chinedu Nebo, says it is impossible to provide constant, uninterrupted electricity to everyone in Nigeria in the near future.

Speaking with newsmen in London over the weekend, the minister said: “Nobody in the world can provide 24/7 electricity everywhere in Nigeria”, adding that 160,000 megawatts would be needed to do that. The current capacity is 4,500 megawatts.
“The cost of providing electricity per megawatt on average is $2billion. To get to where South Africa is, you will need about $3.2trillion (about N672trillion). Where will you find that kind of money?” he asked.

In addition to the huge amount of money involved, Prof. Nebo said power projects also take time to come to fruition, stressing that it takes between four and six years to deliver the power projects.
“You don’t buy these things off the shelves. It takes time to design, study, procure, manufacture, install and commission”, he said, but explained that the government had done so much on generation capacity, transmission and distribution infrastructure, which are key necessities in power supply.

He said 20,000 megawatts was needed to ensure constant power supply to major cities in the country that have been connected to the national grid, but said it would require a lot of resources and time to achieve the feat.

The minister further said the current facilities and infrastructure on the ground had the capacity to provide more than 5,000 megawatts in the country, but lamented that some saboteurs were bent on ensuring that the target is not achieved by vandalising gas pipelines on a regular basis.

He emphasised that the demand for electricity in Nigeria is so huge that “no matter what you do, once electricity gets to a place, people acquire more facilities, buy refrigerators and air-conditioners, and before you know it, what you think is enough for everyone has to be shared by so many people”.

He also said solar power could go a long way in solving Nigeria’s power problems, especially in the rural areas, disclosing that three communities, including Durumi in the suburbs of Abuja, have enjoyed 13 months of uninterrupted electricity since the start of the pilot scheme in December 2013.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/daily/news/46468-uninterrupted-electricity-impossible-in-nigeria-now-nebo

I cant imagine this after all the trillion of dollars spent on power by the 16yrs reign of PDP in Nigeria

Then why can't they invite foreign multinational power companies? Let them do the feasibility study, how it can be accomplished, give them the necessary supports needed to get the job done. The economic return is huge for this country. We can't just look the other way. We are talking about a sector that can generate over a 100,000 jobs direct and indirect. And we have teeming population of unemployed youth. Naija what is going on? This is the 21st century. If PDP feels it is impossible please they should kindly bow out and give it to people who are positive and that can get this done.***sigh***. Jonathan Goodluck their is life beyond presidency, please leave.
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by olucomf: 3:24pm On Feb 10, 2015
Jonathan as failed
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by Crieff(m): 3:26pm On Feb 10, 2015
This is the type of obtuse and daft professor that occupies critical public leadership position in Nigeria. I'm very convinced that someone wrote this man's thesis for him.

I dare him to prove otherwise.
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by drshrewd: 3:27pm On Feb 10, 2015
Amaechi must be a genius for building over 500MW elect. gen. plant in 6yrs. what this means according to nebomatics is that he spent over 1 trillion dollars cheesy
in fact nebo you get sense pass jona grin

1 Like

Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by ogene007: 3:28pm On Feb 10, 2015
fairheven:

My brother am surprised that nobody challenged him on spurious and dumb statements...2billion dollars shud fund nothing less than 1,500MW,obviously they are stealing the money if that is the case
You should factor in the cost of generating, transmitting and distributing 2 megawatts capacity to consumers. He was not talking about generation alone.
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by juvewalex(m): 3:29pm On Feb 10, 2015
OK let's us know what's possible to have in Nigeria coz I can't think of anything we enjoy in this country as citizens. health, schools, electricity etc are all failure......... But electricity
tariff is possible to pop up almost every quarter of the year
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by fairheven: 3:32pm On Feb 10, 2015
JeffreyJamez:

See this one!... mister know all.... you think say 2billion dolls na 2 billion naira ba...... anyways Politics has beclouded your mind... I'm done talking to you......
...u don't waste ur time on such,Its amazing how ppl can defend the defenseless(turning themselves to Taribo west and Uche Okechukwu Collabo)may be we shud stop "thinking"just because Nebo is almighty Prof.

1 Like

Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by LajaLaba: 3:35pm On Feb 10, 2015
ogene007:

U are a certified muppet no offence

1 Like

Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by AreaFada2: 3:35pm On Feb 10, 2015
RaptorX:
Nuclear energy in a country like Nigeria? You think the international community will allow nuclear energy plants in an irresponsible country like Nigeria with a poor maintanance culture. Go read up on the ongoing nuclear meltdown in Japan.

That's what people keep saying. It is very possible. If Abokis don't take it to the North.

Don't situate it near a river. Large areas of Southern Nigeria can be safely used. Make it a high security zone. We have to improve our competence/responsibility. Sticking our head in the sand eternally won't help.

Nkrumah already advocated for Nuclear energy some 55 years ago.

Europe was barely out of WW2 when earliest plants started. Another war could not be entirely ruled out then.

Russia still use nuclear energy despite Chernobyl.
Accidents can happen. Anywhere.

2 Likes

Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by JeffreyJamez(m): 3:36pm On Feb 10, 2015
fairheven:

...u don't waste ur time on such,Its amazing how ppl can defend the defenseless(turning themselves to Taribo west and Uche Okechukwu Collabo)may be we shud stop "thinking"just because Nebo is almighty Prof.

Abi o...titles dey use in milking and lying to gullible minds.... because he's a Prof he cannot lie.. mchew

1 Like

Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by Temidayo9(m): 3:38pm On Feb 10, 2015
And they lied to us that we have the largest economy in Africa.
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by denitro(m): 3:39pm On Feb 10, 2015

How much does it cost to build different types of power plants in the United States?
Response:
Estimated cost of building a power station translates to a
projected total cost of $12.1 billion to
$17.8 billion, for just two 1100 MW plants

Power minister is a roque
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by Tundenoni(m): 3:40pm On Feb 10, 2015
4thsense:
Impossible? Give me the contract, I go supply am! Ordinary power supply kwa!!

hahahahaaaa Mr contractor, take am easy o
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by fairheven: 3:42pm On Feb 10, 2015
ogene007:

You should factor in the cost of generating, transmitting and distributing 2 megawatts capacity to consumers. He was not talking about generation alone.

Bros! Let's leave transmission,distribution an the rest aside,let talk of "GENERATION"first,we are saying that in almost six years jonathan's admin.can not give us atleast 7000MW(add to Maybe two 2000MW or so we had earlier)by now we be hiting just under 10000MW,then you can now Talk of distribution an the rest. As it is now even if you buy transformer for every household,we wud still not have regular power because we are not generating enof.
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by toluene12: 3:42pm On Feb 10, 2015
ogene007:

Abeg
Show us anywhere in the world
where 1MW of electricity = 1billion dollars

For a whole prof to utter the above statement
Then Nigeria is in trouble
That means Nigeria spends 4.5 trillion dollars to generate its present 4500MW shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by onyiloyi(m): 3:42pm On Feb 10, 2015
After so much promises n lies, finally they've told us d truth! It's beyond them, they've surrendered, they can't solve our power problem, they've failed
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by ogene007: 3:44pm On Feb 10, 2015
JeffreyJamez:

2 billion dollars to generate, transmit and distribute 2 mega watts of power to the consumers is not abnormal. It is only abnormal for people who expect university education to be free for all, power supply to be free for all, health insurance to be free for all etc. That is why the APC in their manifesto is promising to spend over 50 trillion naira in 4 years if voted into power. It is not a surprise that people who are very poor in numeracy are making bogus promises all over the place, with little or no idea of what they are talking about. If I had my way, A1 in mathematics at school cert level would be a minimum requirement for anybody who wants to contest for any political office in nigeria. This would go a long way in reducing the amount of trash in the name of campaign promises some of these politicians are making. GEJ has got the best economic team ever assembled to manage the nigerian economy, and whatever challenges that have slowed down the pace of their work has been due to outright sabotage by disgruntled elements who are out to discredit the government. It is hoped that people who know little to nothing about some issues should desist from causing confusion through some of the silly comments they are posting on social media.
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by 14(m): 3:48pm On Feb 10, 2015
drshrewd:
shocked this Nebo of a guy ain't an engineer at all. saying 1MW = $2b it means 1000MW=$2 trillion grin. an amount four times as substantial as the economy of Nigeria? this guy must be as clueless as his oga grin

5000MW power plant cost roughly $20 Billion
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by fairheven: 3:49pm On Feb 10, 2015
genearts:

Jonathan in broad day light opened his eyes and sold our power facilities to investors that don't hv d finance to run and improve the sector. same ppl dat donated to his campaign came runin bac to borrow as small as 10billion naira. Oh we are finished

"O.I.N"....Olny in Nigeria
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by ogene007: 3:55pm On Feb 10, 2015
toluene12:

Abeg
Show us anywhere in the world
where 1MW of electricity = 1billion dollars

For a whole prof to utter the above statement
Then Nigeria is in trouble
That means Nigeria spends 4.5 trillion dollars to generate its present 4500MW shocked shocked shocked
The Prof said ''The cost of providing electricity per megawatt on average is $2billion''. He was talking about the cost of generation, transmission and distribution, down to the final consumers. If you generate power without it getting to the people who need it, it becomes a sheer waste of time. Most of the power contracts awarded by OBJ were in the area of generation, and that was why consumers never felt the impact because the then existing transmission facilities were incapable of back-hauling the power from the GENCOs to the DISCOs. Even at the DISCO level, they may not even have the capacity to receive what is sent to them. That is why a proper costing should factor in all that is required to make it available to the consumer. GEJ has been investing heavily in improving the transmission facility to most of the major cities in the country. It is a massive investment that will take many years before the people would enjoy 24/7 power supply across most parts of the country.
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by Nobody: 3:56pm On Feb 10, 2015
RaptorX:

Japan's problem was that the earthquake of 2011 damaged the cooling system of the nuclear plant...leading to a meltdown,.

Nigeria does not have earthquakes.
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by biz2get(m): 3:58pm On Feb 10, 2015
In a country were the president is confused, clueless and hypnotized ... & The ppl are tired
What should we do??

[center]CHANGE [/center]

It is still possible... Vote for change now!!!! wink
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by 1025: 4:05pm On Feb 10, 2015
why did you sell nepa/phcn? just to be increasing electricity tariff? what was the megawatts before Jonathan came into power?

The Federal Government in a bid to curtail the epileptic power situation in the country has spent about N5 trillion ($31.45 billion) from 1999 till date. But it has only been able to increase the country’s electricity generating capacity by about 2,500 mega watts over the last 14 years. - See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/04/fg-invests-n5trn-in-2500mw-power/

this govt of pdp cannot give us light in the next 1,000 years.

1 Like

Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by 14(m): 4:06pm On Feb 10, 2015
genearts:

Jonathan in broad day light opened his eyes and sold our power facilities to investors that don't hv d finance to run and improve the sector. same ppl dat donated to his campaign came runin bac to borrow as small as 10billion naira. Oh we are finished

You just took words from my mouth. Privatising power was a mistake, those guys are broke, they cant invest any capitals to new power plants, hence you are stark at 4000MW.
Re: Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo by ogene007: 4:09pm On Feb 10, 2015
fairheven:

Bros! Let's leave transmission,distribution an the rest aside,let talk of "GENERATION"first,we are saying that in almost six years jonathan's admin.can not give us atleast 7000MW(add to Maybe two 2000MW or so we had earlier)by now we be hiting just under 10000MW,then you can now Talk of distribution an the rest. As it is now even if you buy transformer for every household,we wud still not have regular power because we are not generating enof.
Most of the generating plants are gas powered and beyond being completed, they cannot start operations until gas is supplied to them. Installed generating capability if gas is available to all of them is presently above 7000 mega watts, but what is actually being operational based on gas availability is 4500 mega watts. Even at that, sabotage of gas pipelines is preventing us from consistently generating at that capacity. The question you should be asking is this, can the present transmission facility evacuate 5000 mega watts from the GENCOs to the DISCOs? The answer is no and Prof Nebo has stated as much. You need a holistic approach in order to deliver power to the final consumer. Prof Nebo was simply speaking holistically.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Haliru Bello Wheelchair: Eniola Akinkuotu's Perspective / Omoyele Sowore & His Supporters Protest, Call For The Arrest Of Fatodu (Pics) / Zahra Indimi & Sister, Hanan Celebrate Thier Mum, Aisha Buhari On 51st Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.