Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,114 members, 7,814,913 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:06 PM

Can You Be Good Without GOD?? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can You Be Good Without GOD?? (32988 Views)

Without God, Your Life Is Empty For God Is Life / A World Without God And Death of Civilization! / Religious Atheism EXPOSED : God Without Religion and Religion Without God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by macof(m): 10:24pm On Feb 14, 2015
Actually Society is better of with secular minded people. Religion or atheism doesn't set a standard for morality
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by johnydon22(m): 10:25pm On Feb 14, 2015
Hiswordxray:

So are you saying you have never do something bad that you didn't want to do?

I believe i have made my point... The way u comprehend them is now your cup of tea.

The good and the bad i have done are clearly my decisions and i am responsible for them.

1 Like

Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by Image123(m): 10:27pm On Feb 14, 2015
McSterling:
Of course you do not understand. Your mind has been conditioned to do good for the sake of a reward for far too long. However, you need to knowledge that such goodness is actually selfishness as an earlier poster has rightly pointed. Consider a man who feeds and houses the homeless because he feels it's the right thing to do, and a man who does the same because he believes the government will pay him a million dollars for doing it. Who do you think is inherently good between the two?
No one is inherently good, sorry.
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by Acekidc4(m): 10:30pm On Feb 14, 2015
Image123:

Okay, so nothing wrong with being good for God's sake. Very good. It makes more sense to be good for something than to be good for nothing.

Ok now let me make an illustration; Sori to say dis, let say i saw u in a distress n pitiful situation caused by Chronic Poverty n i decided to help u out by paying all ur debts n setting u up in business wit a vry huge amount of Money, Now am I being Good 4 something or Nothing, and wat comprises of dat SOMETHING? let say I don't believe in God bt I still did dat good 4u frm my heart!!

2 Likes

Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by johnydon22(m): 10:32pm On Feb 14, 2015
Image123:

Hahahahahahahaha now take a look at this... he asked you which of the deeds is inherently good and you are referring to individuals... Common bro...seriously?
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by Hiswordxray(m): 10:34pm On Feb 14, 2015
johnydon22:

I believe i have made my point... The way u comprehend them is now your cup of tea.

The good and the bad i have done are clearly my decisions and i am responsible for them.
So now you refuse to answer a simple and sincere question?
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by johnydon22(m): 10:35pm On Feb 14, 2015
Acekidc4:

Ok now let me make an illustration; Sori to say dis, let say i saw u in a distress n pitiful situation caused by Chronic Poverty n i decided to help u out by paying all ur debts n setting u up in business wit a vry huge amount of Money, Now am I being Good 4 something or Nothing, and wat comprises of dat SOMETHING? let say I don't believe in God bt I still did dat good 4u frm my heart!!

You did not do it for nothing, you did for everything and that is helping out a fellow human and you did it because you found it to be good and right.
You did not do it because you want reward after...
It is a real noble thing to do and it is inherent goodness born out of goodwill for goodness sake
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by johnydon22(m): 10:36pm On Feb 14, 2015
Hiswordxray:

So now you refuse to answer a simple and sincere question?

I believe i answered unless you skip the part where i said that Everything i do/done, good or bad are soley my decisions and i am responsible for them
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by Image123(m): 10:39pm On Feb 14, 2015
Acekidc4:

I don't read motives, i think God does that. Something is not necessarily or always God. People help others for many motives, for nothing, for the future, to feel good, to score points, for show off, for marriage, for past deeds, many things. You will hardly find help for nothing, and even when you do, what makes that help/good better than others?
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by Acekidc4(m): 10:41pm On Feb 14, 2015
McSterling:
Of course you do not understand. Your mind has been conditioned to do good for the sake of a reward for far too long. However, you need to knowledge that such goodness is actually selfishness as an earlier poster has rightly pointed. Consider a man who feeds and houses the homeless because he feels it's the right thing to do, and a man who does the same because he believes the government will pay him a million dollars for doing it. Who do you think is inherently good between the two?

U re very correct sir!! If I'm doing good to sum1 frm my Heart, do I need to do it 4 something in Return, of course nt!! Stay Blessed Sir!!
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by Image123(m): 10:41pm On Feb 14, 2015
johnydon22:
Hahahahahahahaha now take a look at this... he asked you which of the deeds is inherently good and you are referring to individuals... Common bro...seriously?

Seriously, read it again.
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by Image123(m): 10:44pm On Feb 14, 2015
Acekidc4:

U re very correct sir!! If I'm doing good to sum1 frm my Heart, do I need to do it 4 something in Return, of course nt!! Stay Blessed Sir!!
Do you ever do good for something in return? Is it wrong?
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by johnydon22(m): 10:45pm On Feb 14, 2015
Image123:

Seriously, read it again.
if you actually mean none of the deeds are inherently gud then it wudnt hurt if u use d right word. Then give us ur reasons y u find none of the deeds inherently good
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by Hiswordxray(m): 10:46pm On Feb 14, 2015
johnydon22:

I believe i answered unless you skip the part where i said that Everything i do/done, good or bad are soley my decisions and i am responsible for them
You can want or desire to do something but decide to do the opposite. What you want to do is different from what you decide to do.

My question is have you ever done something bad or decide to do something bad when you desire or want to do the opposite?
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by Acekidc4(m): 10:48pm On Feb 14, 2015
Image123:

I don't read motives, i think God does that. Something is not necessarily or always God. People help others for many motives, for nothing, for the future, to feel good, to score points, for show off, for marriage, for past deeds, many things. You will hardly find help for nothing, and even when you do, what makes that help/good better than others?

because 1 good is for something(Rewards n Avoiding God wrath n dammnation in Hellfire) while d oda Good is for Nothing( from d Heart, nt xpecting anytin whatsoever frm any1 or any God). U get me?
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by Image123(m): 10:49pm On Feb 14, 2015
johnydon22:
if you actually mean none of the deeds are inherently gud then it wudnt hurt if u use d right word. Then give us ur reasons y u find none of the deeds inherently good
You didn't read again, why? Don't be too sure of yourself. He clearly asked "Who do you think is inherently good between the two?" WHO not WHAT.

1 Like

Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by Image123(m): 10:54pm On Feb 14, 2015
Acekidc4:

because 1 good is for something(Rewards n Avoiding God wrath n dammnation in Hellfire) while d oda Good is for Nothing( from d Heart, nt xpecting anytin whatsoever frm any1 or any God). U get me?
Lol, what is wrong in expecting reward? Why do you think expecting nothing is from the heart, where are the others from? What makes one worse or better than the other? I get you, unfortunately, you don't get me yet.
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by johnydon22(m): 10:54pm On Feb 14, 2015
Image123:

Oh yes... doing something for an expectation is not inherent goodness.. you only did it for your own gain (reward)
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by McSterling(m): 10:55pm On Feb 14, 2015
Image123:

Semantics, sir. It doesn't matter what word I chose to use. I think the point I'm trying to make is clear enough.
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by johnydon22(m): 10:56pm On Feb 14, 2015
Image123:

You didn't read again, why? Don't be too sure of yourself. He clearly asked "Who do you think is inherently good between the two?" WHO not WHAT.

And by saying who, you and i know he was refering to their deeds as depicted in the example... Common you cannot pretend not know what he meant.
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by Image123(m): 10:57pm On Feb 14, 2015
johnydon22:

Oh yes... doing something for an expectation is not inherent goodness.. you only did it for your own gain (reward)
Okay, so you sometimes do good for reward? What is wrong with it?
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by johnydon22(m): 11:00pm On Feb 14, 2015
Hiswordxray:

You can want or desire to do something but decide to do the opposite. What you want to do is different from what you decide to do.

My question is have you ever done something bad or decide to do something bad when you desire or want to do the opposite?

None that i can remember
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by Image123(m): 11:02pm On Feb 14, 2015
McSterling:
Semantics, sir. It doesn't matter what word I chose to use. I think the point I'm trying to make is clear enough.

No semantics oh. No human being is inherently good, whatever deeds you do.
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by johnydon22(m): 11:04pm On Feb 14, 2015
Image123:

Okay, so you sometimes do good for reward? What is wrong with it?
Selfishness is obviously not a virtue...
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by Hiswordxray(m): 11:05pm On Feb 14, 2015
johnydon22:

None that i can remember
Thanks...
At least you are a little honest.
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by Acekidc4(m): 11:05pm On Feb 14, 2015
Image123:

Itz is totally nt wrong my frnd bt itz unacceptable either because if I based my good deeds on Something in return den itz nt a good deed in d first place.
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by McSterling(m): 11:06pm On Feb 14, 2015
Image123:

No semantics oh. No human being is inherently good, whatever deeds you do.
That's what the Bible says, right? One of its many attempts at vitiating man in order to glorify god. Fortunately, the Bible is wrong on that note. Man can both be inherently good and inherently bad.
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by johnydon22(m): 11:07pm On Feb 14, 2015
goodnight guys...mb finished grin...Be good for goodness sake people.. sleep well

1 Like

Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by Image123(m): 11:07pm On Feb 14, 2015
johnydon22:

And by saying who, you and i know he was refering to their deeds as depicted in the example... Common you cannot pretend not know what he meant.
"Who" refers to persons not deeds. Are we discussing what is good or who is good?
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by johnydon22(m): 11:09pm On Feb 14, 2015
McSterling:
That's what the Bible says, right? One of its many attempts at vitiating man in order to glorify god. Fortunately, the Bible is wrong on that note. Man can both be inherently good and inherently bad.
Imagine the biased mind.. He believes man can be inherently bad but no inherently good.. Just to glorify an idea that yet is man's
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by johnydon22(m): 11:11pm On Feb 14, 2015
Image123:

"Who" refers to persons not deeds. Are we discussing what is good or who is good?
oh yes we all clearly know that.. Stop pretending you dont know what the guy meant buddy, thats deception.
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by Image123(m): 11:15pm On Feb 14, 2015
johnydon22:

Selfishness is obviously not a virtue...

Are you saying that you are sometimes selfish? Well, not every reward has to be selfish or self driven. I know a good doctor as it were. He's faithful, diligent, kind and helpful. He does the extra and is easily the best doctor every year. He is not doing it for nothing. He does it because it gives him satisfaction and of course respect and money. Is he wrong? What makes him wrong if so?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Don't Distract Me With Partisan Politics - Pastor E.A Adeboye / Rape Allegations: CAN Disowns COZA Church / Adeboye, Olukoya, Oyedepo, Oritsajafor, Listen To Christ Warning & Amend Ur Way

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.