Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,846 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:04 AM

Can You Be Good Without GOD?? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can You Be Good Without GOD?? (33043 Views)

Without God, Your Life Is Empty For God Is Life / A World Without God And Death of Civilization! / Religious Atheism EXPOSED : God Without Religion and Religion Without God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by Nobody: 10:10am On Feb 15, 2015
sukkot:
i hear all that bros but the question was IS IT POSSIBLE TO BE GOOD WITHOUT GOD, and the answer is YES IT IS POSSIBLE TO BE GOOD WITHOUT GOD, never mind the motivation. just because a person believes in God does not make them morally superior to someone who doesnt believe in God, in fact you will find out that the ones who believe in God are the most evil. so the ability to be good or bad has nothing to do with your belief in God. if you were a wicked person before you found God-more than likely you will be a wicked christian. if you were a nice person before you found God then more than likely you will be a nice christian. it is not your belief in God that changes your character, it is your absolute dedication to God that changes your character.

Isaiah 45:4-6

For the sake of Jacob My servant, And Israel My chosen one, I have also called you by your name; I have given you a title of honor Though you have not known Me. "I am the LORD, and there is no other; Besides Me there is no God. I will gird you, though you have not known Me; That men may know from the rising to the setting of the sun That there is no one besides Me.

I agree with you on this one Chief! God called Cyrus, a heathen to do his work and let his people go because he was a good King.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by Acekidc4(m): 12:11pm On Feb 15, 2015
malvisguy212:
I want to know who am arguing with, are you an atheists? Do you believe in God?

Am not an Atheist Sir!! But just call me a free thinker!!
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by malvisguy212: 12:29pm On Feb 15, 2015
Acekidc4:

Am not an Atheist Sir!! But just call me a free thinker!!
you may be good person but your righteousness is as filthy as rages unless you believe in Jesus and inherited His righteousness in you. Bible say he became a sinner so that you can be righteous'even David who is regard as a friend of God is a sinner. I will not argue with you guys, you accept or reject,it's a choice. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by johnydon22(m): 1:31pm On Feb 15, 2015
malvisguy212:
you may be good person but your righteousness is as filthy as rages unless you believe in Jesus and inherited His righteousness in you. Bible say he became a sinner so that you can be righteous'even David who is regard as a friend of God is a sinner. I will not argue with you guys, you accept or reject,it's a choice. Thank you.

Why dont you believe in me first then you will be good, or more still believe in zeus or amadioha!
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by Hiswordxray(m): 2:26pm On Feb 15, 2015
johnydon22:

lolzzz... i suggest you find out what being a humanist is all about..
Radiate boundless love towards the entire earth, undiminished by diversion, race, religion or orientation... we all deserve love
@The bolded is a plain assumption, its an obvious fallacy..
anyway please enough dabbling into my private life style, can we discuss the issue at hand without personal questions cus i wont answer such questions anymore my brother.
And please dont get emotional cus we atheist/agnostics or humanists only do not share ur beliefs, we are not ur enemy.
You boldly declare you are a humanist and you purpose is all good but the truth is that you are hiding.

You and I know that you are hiding from your Creator under the banner of humanist.
I'm not against the idea of humanist but what I care about is you.

Hiding is not good, it is damaging. If you know about Sigmund Freud theory of Psychoanalysis you would realize that things always surface when you are hiding. And it can surface in an unwanted way.

Stop hiding my friend, come out to the light. Be true to yourself.
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by johnydon22(m): 2:35pm On Feb 15, 2015
Hiswordxray:

You boldly declare you are a humanist and you purpose is all good but the truth is that you are hiding.

You and I know that you are hiding from your Creator under the banner of humanist.
I'm not against the idea of humanist but what I care about is you.

Hiding is not good, it is damaging. If you know about Sigmund Freud theory of Psychoanalysis you would realize that things always surface when you are hiding. And it can surface in an unwanted way.

Stop hiding my friend, come out to the light. Be true to yourself.
nawa oooooo.... Guy assumption is a big fallacy and please stop assuming anything and affiliate it with me.

Anyway let me not take you up on this ur creator ish... not in the mood to start now..
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by Hiswordxray(m): 6:55pm On Feb 15, 2015
johnydon22:

nawa oooooo.... Guy assumption is a big fallacy and please stop assuming anything and affiliate it with me.

Anyway let me not take you up on this ur creator ish... not in the mood to start now..
You know what I'm saying is true...
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by Image123(m): 9:43pm On Feb 15, 2015
Acekidc4:

Guy pls don't argue wit a biased mind ok!! Itz crystal clear n u knw it bt u re just tryin to twist d mata!! A good deed is a good deed wen u do it frm ur heart witout strings attached while a good deed is nt a good deed wen it has something attached!!
Actually, you are talking with a biased view when you prefer people doing good for no reason to persons doing good for a reason. If it is crystal clear, kindly explain who says or why it unacceptable to be good for a reason.
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by Image123(m): 9:52pm On Feb 15, 2015
asala1:
Clearly, Christians on this forum turn people to atheist. Following this argument from both side you can clearly see difference between the two groups. You guys are making mockery of yourselves and Christianity.

Bill and Melinda Gate are spending millions of dollar to fight diseases in Africa yearly especially in Nigeria where we equally have many very rich religious institutions who don't even give a damn. These guys don't even believe in God.
You are not a serious Christian if christians are turning you to atheist. Following Jesus is not for the wishy-washy. Forget Bill and Melinda and think you. How much are you spending and what are you doing to help the needy? Do you think no christian is helping the needy? Are bill and Melinda representative of every atheist? Why generalise issues unfairly?
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by Image123(m): 10:07pm On Feb 15, 2015
johnydon22:
sir please leave someone else's work ethic and occupation in this...

Give me an example with general morality that has nothing to do with profession or occupation.
i already did. A generous or kind man. One can be kind for many reasons, heaven, God, future favour/karma, being in similar position before, feel good syndrome, pressure, to gain popularity and power/control, upbringing, good for nothing etc.
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by asala1: 1:39am On Feb 16, 2015
Image123:

You are not a serious Christian if christians are turning you to atheist. Following Jesus is not for the wishy-washy. Forget Bill and Melinda and think you. How much are you spending and what are you doing to help the needy? Do you think no christian is helping the needy? Are bill and Melinda representative of every atheist? Why generalise issues unfairly?

You haven't said anything. All you just did now is to attack me and avoid the fact. Nigeria is a deeply religious country, tell me which Christian community has done more that the Gate in Nigeria.
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by Image123(m): 1:54am On Feb 16, 2015
asala1:

You haven't said anything. All you just did now is to attack me and avoid the fact. Nigeria is a deeply religious country, tell me which Christian community has done more that the Gate in Nigeria.
Tell me which Christian community has done anything in Nigeria. Then tell me which Christian community is as financially buoyant as the Gates or is in competition with them. BTW, i didn't know that asking you for what you are doing to help the needy is attacking you. What facts did i avoid?
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by asala1: 5:41am On Feb 16, 2015
Image123:

Tell me which Christian community has done anything in Nigeria. Then tell me which Christian community is as financially buoyant as the Gates or is in competition with them. BTW, i didn't know that asking you for what you are doing to help the needy is attacking you. What facts did i avoid?

You don't get the point, do you? The question was: "Can one be good without God?" I believe in God and yes, people can be good without God. I gave you an example of the Gates' contribution to humanity without believing in any god. You don't need any religion to be good, its a choice you make. I met a French girl sometimes back that spend most her summer break in refuge camps in Africa and Asia as a volunteer to help teach and cater for displaced kids. I asked her one day about her believe in a god and she told me she doesn't believe in any god. I asked her her reason, she told me never had about any god until she was 11 years old and she didn't bother learning about it. Is she a good person? From the little months I spent with her, I believe she is one of the best person I have met in my life time. I even aspire to be like her in selfless service, I believe in God and she doesn't. Does she need a god to be good? NO.

This exactly what Christians don't agree. Even though religion encourages people to be good, people can be good for different reason without God. You make a mockery of yourself and religion when you try to force these things on people.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by Acekidc4(m): 5:20pm On Feb 16, 2015
asala1:

You don't get the point, do you? The question was: "Can one be good without God?" I believe in God and yes, people can be good without God. I gave you an example of the Gates' contribution to humanity without believing in any god. You don't need any religion to be good, its a choice you make. I met a French girl sometimes back that spend most her summer break in refuge camps in Africa and Asia as a volunteer to help teach and cater for displaced kids. I asked her one day about her believe in a god and she told me she doesn't believe in any god. I asked her her reason, she told me never had about any god until she was 11 years old and she didn't bother learning about it. Is she a good person? From the little months I spent with her, I believe she is one of the best person I have met in my life time. I even aspire to be like her in selfless service, I believe in God and she doesn't. Does she need a god to be good? NO.

This exactly what Christians don't agree. Even though religion encourages people to be good, people can be good for different reason without God. You make a mockery of yourself and religion when you try to force these things on people.

GBAM!! You have said it all!! GOD Bless you for this Simple Explanation that Image123 refuse to see due to his Baised Mind!!
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by twosquare(m): 8:50pm On Feb 16, 2015
Acekidc4:

GBAM!! You have said it all!! GOD Bless you for this Simple Explanation that Image123 refuse to see due to his Baised Mind!!
you have to know that which is good. That which is called "Good". Evil people also know how to show what we call "good" to their own fans. What we call Good is not what God calls good. Remember, what is highly esteemed among men is an abomination to God. You can't be called Good or be good without God. He himself is Goodness personified. Do you want to know what being Good is? Examine the Father. Jesus knows better... Jesus said unto him, Why call me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.
So, you can't be good without God, only God can make you good in its true definition.
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by johnydon22(m): 11:45pm On Feb 16, 2015
Hiswordxray:

Am not running away from my creator, as a matter of fact i love my creator, always there for me to pick me up when i fall, love like no other, give me everything and demands nothing, have sleepless nights for me to sleep well.

Oh this creator is my all, thats why i so revere and adore this my creator.
I worship this my creator with all my heart...

My Mother
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by frank317: 7:36am On Feb 17, 2015
asala1:

As a matter of fact, this post should conclude the thread. What else is there to say? This post summerises is all. Any who wants to argue after reading this is just making a nuisance of himself.
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by johnydon22(m): 7:42am On Feb 17, 2015
frank317:

As a matter of fact, this post should conclude the thread. What else is there to say? This post summerises is all. Any who wants to argue after reading this is just making a nuisance of himself.

Hey frank where have you been... missed you buddy
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by frank317: 8:37am On Feb 17, 2015
twosquare:
you have to know that which is good. That which is called "Good". Evil people also know how to show what we call "good" to their own fans. What we call Good is not what God calls good. Remember, what is highly esteemed among men is an abomination to God. You can't be called Good or be good without God. He himself is Goodness personified. Do you want to know what being Good is? Examine the Father. Jesus knows better... Jesus said unto him, Why call me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.
So, you can't be good without God, only God can make you good in its true definition.

Pls differentiate between human's good and God's good. You guys just use words without thinking deep. Even your God's so called good you talk about... It still requires human action to be seen and used as an example. Since I was born your God has never physically done anything to anyone that I have seen. All we do is enjoy favour from humans and conclude it was God that did it, and still call the same humans wicked.

An example is this song..."he has done for me, he has done for me, what my mother cannot do, he has done for me, what my father cannot do, he has done for me."

The above is a huge insult to our parents. Your parents gave birth to you, nurture you, train you, feed you... What exactly has your so called God done for you.

Ya right, of course your God's good is different from humans, his good is all about drowning his creations, both infants, in water till death and preparing hell for his loving disobedient creation. And killing his only begotten son to save mankind.

4 Likes

Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by frank317: 8:38am On Feb 17, 2015
johnydon22:

Hey frank where have you been... missed you buddy

Been here bro... Just a little busy to comment.
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by johnydon22(m): 9:26am On Feb 17, 2015
frank317:

Pls differentiate between human's good and God's good. You guys just use words without thinking deep. Even your God's so called good you talk about... It still requires human action to be seen and used as an example. Since I was born your God has never physically done anything to anyone that I have seen. All we do is enjoy favour from humans and conclude it was God that did it, and still call the same humans wicked.

An example is this song..."he has done for me, he has done for me, what my mother cannot do, he has done for me, what my father cannot do, he has done for me."

The above is a huge insult to our parents. Your parents gave birth to you, nurture you, train you, feed you... What exactly has your so called God done for you.

Ya right, of course your God's good is different from humans, his good is all about drowning his creations, both infants, in water till death and preparing hell for his loving disobedient creation. And killing his only begotten son to save mankind.

Am still wondering why our own basic sense of morality is much more better and moral than that of this god...

1 Like

Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by twosquare(m): 10:05am On Feb 17, 2015
frank317:

I don't expect less from someone who has a darkened understanding. Come away from this path, and embrace the Holy One...-f you continue in this path, it won't be long when you shall be sealed with the Name of Blasphemy.
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by johnydon22(m): 10:14am On Feb 17, 2015
twosquare:
I don't expect less from someone who has a darkened understanding. Come away from this path, and embrace the Holy One...-f you continue in this path, it won't be long when you shall be sealed with the Name of Blasphemy.
hahahahahahaha typical grin...begging the post!!! **sighs**
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by frank317: 10:36am On Feb 17, 2015
twosquare:

What?
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by Image123(m): 1:38pm On Feb 17, 2015
asala1:

You did not tell me which Christian community has done anything in Nigeria, or which Christian community is as financially buoyant as the Gates or is in competition with them. You did not tell me the facts that you said i avoided.No wahala.
It is good to read that you believe in God. But to say that people can be good without God is WRONG. Maybe i wasn't clear enough though. i will say it is possible to do good deeds without following God or believing in God. But to be good, NO. Nobody can be good without God. i hope what i say is clearer now. By the way, and by the way, you don't keep mentioning Gates as reperesentative of the random atheist. Melinda Gates is not atheist, but a professing christian. Catholic or so. Mr Gates himself said that his actions are motivated by religion so stop putting him up like the narrow minded atheistic bigot and extremists on forums. Again, you can do some good deeds with or without God, BUT you cannot be good without God. People can do good things for different reasons as it as being pointed out. You can do good deeds because of the law or constitution, or the society you live in, or for some reward or personal satisfaction, or you can be good for nothing like some are proposing. However, nobody has come here to show us how it is not okay to do good for reward. On the contrary, some have admitted to doing good for reward themselves.
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by bobbyL(m): 3:59pm On Feb 17, 2015
Hiswordxray:

Hello. I sent you a mail sometime ago, though it took a while before I responded. I may send you another one later today. Thanks for your time.
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by johnydon22(m): 4:19pm On Feb 17, 2015
Image123:

You did not tell me which Christian community has done anything in Nigeria, or which Christian community is as financially buoyant as the Gates or is in competition with them. You did not tell me the facts that you said i avoided.No wahala.
It is good to read that you believe in God. But to say that people can be good without God is WRONG. Maybe i wasn't clear enough though. i will say it is possible to do good deeds without following God or believing in God. But to be good, NO. Nobody can be good without God. i hope what i say is clearer now. By the way, and by the way, you don't keep mentioning Gates as reperesentative of the random atheist. Melinda Gates is not atheist, but a professing christian. Catholic or so. Mr Gates himself said that his actions are motivated by religion so stop putting him up like the narrow minded atheistic bigot and extremists on forums. Again, you can do some good deeds with or without God, BUT you cannot be good without God. People can do good things for different reasons as it as being pointed out. You can do good deeds because of the law or constitution, or the society you live in, or for some reward or personal satisfaction, or you can be good for nothing like some are proposing. However, nobody has come here to show us how it is not okay to do good for reward. On the contrary, some have admitted to doing good for reward themselves.

Their is nothing else that needs saying that have not been said already bro. [size=20pt] Your beliefs doesnt make you a good person, your behaviour does
[/size]

None needs saying anymore bro... be good boss

The hindus believe they are good because of shiva
you believe you are good because of yahweh
muslims believe they are good because of allah
and so it keeps going.
But all this creeds and moral codes guiding these lot are all products of humans and then affiliated to the God concept.
Anyway whatever you believe is for you... But we say again
[size=17] Be good for goodness sake my brother [/size]

1 Like

Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by frank317: 9:10pm On Feb 17, 2015
Image123:

Ya right, I have a Muslim friend who has been extremely nice to me and my family, he is a soldier. He has been there for me in times of need and helped my younger sis when she needed a job. of course he could do all the good deeds in this world but he is a bad person because he does not believes in Image's God.

Are you even listening to yourself?

Thank 'God' I am no longer a Christian

1 Like

Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by Image123(m): 10:44pm On Feb 17, 2015
johnydon22:

Their is nothing else that needs saying that have not been said already bro. [size=20pt] Your beliefs doesnt make you a good person, your behaviour does
[/size]

None needs saying anymore bro... be good boss

The hindus believe they are good because of shiva
you believe you are good because of yahweh
muslims believe they are good because of allah
and so it keeps going.
But all this creeds and moral codes guiding these lot are all products of humans and then affiliated to the God concept.
Anyway whatever you believe is for you... But we say again
[size=17] Be good for goodness sake my brother [/size]
How do you determine that "Your beliefs doesnt make you a good person, your behaviour does". How do you arrive at these conclusions? i do not think that the hindus or the muslims believe that they are good. They believe that they have to do a lot of good. i'm not good because of any good that i have done. Why do you want or encourage me to be good for GOODNESS'sake? Is it okay for me to be good for God's sake?
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by Image123(m): 10:48pm On Feb 17, 2015
frank317:

Ya right, I have a Muslim friend who has been extremely nice to me and my family, he is a soldier. He has been there for me in times of need and helped my younger sis when she needed a job. of course he could do all the good deeds in this world but he is a bad person because he does not believes in Image's God.

Are you even listening to yourself?

Thank 'God' I am no longer a Christian

Ya right, you were never a christian i guess. i will ask you one question though. Is your Muslim friend perfect?
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by johnydon22(m): 10:48pm On Feb 17, 2015
Image123:

How do you determine that "Your beliefs doesnt make you a good person, your behaviour does". How do you arrive at these conclusions? i do not think that the hindus or the muslims believe that they are good. They believe that they have to do a lot of good. i'm not good because of any good that i have done. Why do you want or encourage me to be good for GOODNESS'sake? Is it okay for me to be good for God's sake?

You always manage to get words twisted. . . You asserted that doing good doesnt make someone good (i wonder) that only believing in god makes someone good... then i just made it clear to you that [size=20] Believing in any god or deity be it allah, yahweh, shiva, zeus doesnt make you good, your behaviour is what makes you good [/size] no more needs saying.
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by Emperor4God(m): 11:03pm On Feb 17, 2015
johnydon22:

You always manage to get words twisted. . . You asserted that doing good doesnt make someone good (i wonder) that only believing in god makes someone good... then i just made it clear to you that Believing in any god or deity be it allah, yahweh, shiva, zeus doesnt make you good, your behaviour is what makes you good no more needs saying.

[size=14pt]I agree with you that niether allah nor zues nor shiva can make you good.

People naturally are wicked, so the natural thing for people to be is evil.

Genesis 6:5
And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth,
and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

[/size]

[size=14pt]ONLY THE BLOOD OF JESUS CAN MAKE A MAN GOOD.
WITHOUT THE BLOOD OF JESUS WE ARE ALL DOOMED.

Romans 5 (KJV)
8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that,
while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

9 Much more then,
being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.
[/size]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

We Will Celebrate Christmas - Catholics To Kumuyi / CAC Members Join The Tiktok Challenge (Video) / Smart Phones Are Demonic: A Nairalanders Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.