Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,734 members, 7,824,075 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:05 PM

Can You Be Good Without GOD?? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can You Be Good Without GOD?? (33066 Views)

Without God, Your Life Is Empty For God Is Life / A World Without God And Death of Civilization! / Religious Atheism EXPOSED : God Without Religion and Religion Without God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by tevinsolt: 2:46am On Feb 18, 2015
johnydon22:

Our morality comes from our humanity, by contrasting your feelings to that of others you will learn to be good towards all... The human nature is moral and good.

Our intellect guides our thinking and empathy guides our act... Morality do not depend on any book or creed. Those books too are also a product of humans and greatly influenced by their culture.
e.g- You do not need to rush and check in the bible or koran to check if stealing is good or bad, You know taking someone else's thing is not moral.

You do not need the bible or koran to tell you slavery and enslaving is bad even though both clearly never forbids it infact the two books endorsed it in a way.
So our morality stems from our humanity.. our intellect and empathy.

Like i have always tried to tell theists.. Goodness doesnt depend on reward or punishment.
If you are good because of the promise of heaven, you are only good because you want reward thereby you are only good for your own gain at the end.. We call it "Selfishness" and is that real goodness?

If you are good because of the threat of hell, you are only good because you fear hell therefore you are only good for you own gain at the end saving your own skin...its called "Selfishness" is that real goodness?

I that try to be good without expecting any reward or hoping to escape punishment and you that is good cus of reward or fear, Who really is moral?

Real goodness entails being good because you know it is right and want good to happen. cus you believe the earth and humans deserve goodness.

The idea of God was brought to make people not to accept responsible for their actions.
I am responsible for all my actions be it good or bad..

And this issue of forgiveness is that not a deceptive concept to rid people of their guilt?
Take for instance i stole from you, i regret my actions and come back to seek your forgiveness and return the item and you forgive thereby you already cleared your mind of it and it doesnt hurt anymore cus you already forgave me cus i came to you.

I stole from you, i regret my actions then i go to my room and mutter some prayers, come and out and say i am forgiven when you that i took your item is still hurting and doesnt even know i did it.

Which is forgiveness and which is moral?

We do not need forgiveness from any deity or gods we only need forgiveness from ourselves and one another..

Come and tender your own opinion on this

You don't have to believe in God to be "good". on this I sort of agree with you. but what is good? what is bad? and how do you tell this characteristics or actions apart?
is it selfish to study because of the fear of failing on an exam or working hard cuz of the fear of finding yourself at the bottom of the food chain?
is it selfish to not run a red light because you know if you do, there's a painfully large amount of fine you would have to pay?

are you absolutely sure that goodness is not dependent on the fear of punishment, that the person you violated or the society won't take actions against you when you've crossed the line?

a look at history is enough to inform you humans have not being very good to each other.
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by dalaman: 3:27am On Feb 18, 2015
Image123:

How do you determine that "Your beliefs doesnt make you a good person, your behaviour does". How do you arrive at these conclusions? i do not think that the hindus or the muslims believe that they are good. They believe that they have to do a lot of good. i'm not good because of any good that i have done. Why do you want or encourage me to be good for GOODNESS'sake? Is it okay for me to be good for God's sake?

How and why is goodness determined only by God? demonstrate to me with clear examples what it means to be good only because it takes God to be good. Why can't a person be good without God? How is God good and what makes goodness to exist only because of God?
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by tevinsolt: 4:14am On Feb 18, 2015
dalaman:

How and why is goodness determined only by God? demonstrate to me with clear examples what it means to be good only because it takes God to be good. Why can't a person be good without God? How is God good and what makes goodness to exist only because of God?

to admit there's goodness is a truth statement that incites an innate worth of humans, and by so doing, you imply we have a responsibility to ourselves and others to carry out what is morally good. Inanimate objects don't have this sense of responsibility so do animals with the exception of homo sapiens. If there's no God, we have no value anymore than a piece of rock on the ground, so whatever you do to forge ahead in life (not caring who you hurt while doing so) it doesn't matter, because the end justifies the means. If there's no God, what you do with your life from when you were born till your last breath is meaningless because our solar system is one giant dynamite waiting to detonate.
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by SNCOQ3(m): 4:22am On Feb 18, 2015
Its one thing to do good acts without God(Actions motivated by whatever reason), its another thing to be a good person(Holiness- a state of being).
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by kunlenkirol(m): 4:23am On Feb 18, 2015
Too much questions. Summarily, a religious person can be immoral while an atheist can be moral. Morality is d yardstick of measuring the goodness oR badness of an action. Being moral adds value to the beingness of a person. While immorality is an aberation. Since it is a deprivation of something good, it is termed to be evil. On Action, do good because it is your duty to do good. That is what Kant calls "duty for duty sake". You do good cos it is ur responsibility to do good not because you want to gain anything. Hasta la vista
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by tevinsolt: 4:48am On Feb 18, 2015
kunlenkirol:
Too much questions. Summarily, a religious person can be immoral while an atheist can be moral. Morality is d yardstick of measuring the goodness oR badness of an action. Being moral adds value to the beingness of a person. While immorality is an aberation. Since it is a deprivation of something good, it is termed to be evil. On Action, do good because it is your duty to do good. That is what Kant calls "duty for duty sake". You do good cos it is ur responsibility to do good not because you want to gain anything. Hasta la vista

from a human point of view an Atheist could be moral while a religious person might not, From God's perspective, none is righteous no not one. of value or importance is the "beingness" of a person? why is it a responsibility? why can you do anything you want with a piece of paper and not same with a paper currency? if you can answer these then, viola! you'll see the hole in your train of thought.
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by adexsimply(m): 5:44am On Feb 18, 2015
malvisguy212:
are you a good person? Do you love your neighbours as your self? Will you lay your life for the people you love?
"Being good" and "Loving your neighbor as yourself" are mutually exclusive. Why the heck do I need to love my neighbor as myself ? Do I even love myself?
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by franugo(m): 5:47am On Feb 18, 2015
johnydon22:

Our morality comes from our humanity, by contrasting your feelings to that of others you will learn to be good towards all... The human nature is moral and good.

Our intellect guides our thinking and empathy guides our act... Morality do not depend on any book or creed. Those books too are also a product of humans and greatly influenced by their culture.
e.g- You do not need to rush and check in the bible or koran to check if stealing is good or bad, You know taking someone else's thing is not moral.

You do not need the bible or koran to tell you slavery and enslaving is bad even though both clearly never forbids it infact the two books endorsed it in a way.

Like i have always tried to tell theists.. Goodness doesnt depend on reward or punishment.
If you are good because of the promise of heaven, you are only good because you want reward thereby you are only good for your own gain at the end.. We call it "Selfishness" and is that real goodness?

If you are good because of the threat of hell, you are only good because you fear hell therefore you are only good for you own gain at the end saving your own skin...its called "Selfishness" is that real goodness?

I that try to be good without expecting any reward or hoping to escape punishment and you that is good cus of reward or fear, Who really is moral?

Real goodness entails being good because you know it is right and want good to happen. cus you believe the earth and humans deserve goodness.

The idea of God was brought to make people not to accept responsible for their actions.

And this issue of forgiveness is that not a deceptive concept to rid people of their guilt?
Take for instance i stole from you, i regret my actions and come back to seek your forgiveness and return the item and you forgive thereby you already cleared your mind of it and it doesnt hurt anymore cus you already forgave me cus i came to you.

I stole from you, i regret my actions then i go to my room and mutter some prayers, come and out and say i am forgiven when you that i took your item is still hurting and doesnt even know i did it.

We do not need forgiveness from any deity or gods we only need forgiveness from ourselves and one another..

i absolutely love this post like seriously. Bro where have u beenit's been a long time since i saw such a sensible post on nairaland.

2 Likes

Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by Samirana360(m): 5:48am On Feb 18, 2015
u can be gud without God, but u can't make heaven without God....u wil just die n perish with ur goodness if u dnt hav God
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by faragai24: 6:30am On Feb 18, 2015
Acekidc4:
A frnd of My Dad who is a Religion Philosopher was arguing with my Dad n some of their frnds that being an Atheist does not mean"anything goes"- infact, quite the opposite. What do you think? Can Morality be Independent of GOD? Can people who don't believe in GOD still be as"Good" as those who do? What govern your own decision about whether and how to act Ethically?

I personally gather that many people believe that Atheism implies Nihilism- that rejecting GOD means rejecting Morality. A person who denies GOD, they reason must be, if not actively Evil, at least indifferent to considerations of Right n Wrong.

Now to my questions Nairalander's.
(1) Where does Morality come from?
(2) What guides your thinking about how to act?
(3) Do you choose to act Morally mostly because of the promise of Reward or the threat of Punishment- from GOD or from some other Authority. Do you agree contrary to what some believe, living your life ethically is even more important if you are an Atheist, since if you do something Morally Reprehensible there is no God to forgive you, and the only value your life has is the Choices you make?

Macof, Sukkot, Tallesty, Mizmycoli, Ymodulus, Seun, Xcapizt, pastorkun, Kay17, Joseph1013, Virginfinder, Truthman2012, Malvisguy212. Come oh!!! Abeg come contribute!!!

Very sensible question never came acrossed, NAIRALAND IS AN INSTITUTION OF LEARNING.
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by wisdompraise(m): 6:35am On Feb 18, 2015
Acekidc4:
A frnd of My Dad who is a Religion Philosopher was arguing with my Dad n some of their frnds that being an Atheist does not mean"anything goes"- infact, quite the opposite. What do you think? Can Morality be Independent of GOD? Can people who don't believe in GOD still be as"Good" as those who do? What govern your own decision about whether and how to act Ethically?

I personally gather that many people believe that Atheism implies Nihilism- that rejecting GOD means rejecting Morality. A person who denies GOD, they reason must be, if not actively Evil, at least indifferent to considerations of Right n Wrong.

Now to my questions Nairalander's.
(1) Where does Morality come from?
(2) What guides your thinking about how to act?
(3) Do you choose to act Morally mostly because of the promise of Reward or the threat of Punishment- from GOD or from some other Authority. Do you agree contrary to what some believe, living your life ethically is even more important if you are an Atheist, since if you do something Morally Reprehensible there is no God to forgive you, and the only value your life has is the Choices you make?

Macof, Sukkot, Tallesty, Mizmycoli, Ymodulus, Seun, Xcapizt, pastorkun, Kay17, Joseph1013, Virginfinder, Truthman2012, Malvisguy212. Come oh!!! Abeg come contribute!!!

Without God nobody will be moral.

Some people here contradicted themselves.
First let's keep religion aside. As matter of facts, there's some religion that their foundation is based on evil/immorality.

Somebody here said that you don't need God to be moral, and he also said that the thought of hell-fire is what keep people to the right track. My question is, is there anything like hell fire without God? Who created Hell fire?

Again, somebody said that you don't need God to be moral, and he also said that morality is humanity. My question is, who created humans, without that atom of morality He put In us can anyone be moral?

Now back to your questions.
We all need God to be moral. Some people do good because of Heaven Which means they have the fear of God. Some people do good because they want to escape hell fire, that means they acknowledged God.

While some people that didn't believe in the God of heaven, the creator of the universe still do good not because they want to, but because they want to obey law which indirectly they are obeying God.

The truth is this, without the Fear of God, nobody will be moral. People fear God knowingly and unknowingly.

Some ladies want to keep their virginity because they want to be moral, and do why want to be moral? Because they have the fear of God.

The same thing applys to everything in life.

You can't claim to be moral without the fear of God the creator of morality.
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by waxyung(m): 6:38am On Feb 18, 2015
Morality is a thing dat comes naturally..religion jst chose dat 2 b dia core because it defines one true nd inner self.
What guide my thinking about how i act is because i bliv judgement takes place everyday nd i want gud judgement 2 b passed on me.so i act right. I also bliv dat u get what 2 give 2 odas be it gud or bad. Religion teaches morality but dey r 2 sides of a coin
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by FrenchyL(m): 6:38am On Feb 18, 2015
cold:

Which god are you referring to as an embodiment of good? I hope it's not the Yahweh deity?

I am referring to The Lord God almighty, the creator of the heavens and the earth and all that is within it. The God which Christians serve, who by the way, is the one and only True God.
#ThatsWhatIamTalkingAbout
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by sheguy(m): 6:39am On Feb 18, 2015
Hmmmmmmm!!!!! Make sense..

Come and tender your own opinion on this[/quote]
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by gbemi12(m): 6:42am On Feb 18, 2015
"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but...will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones." Marcus Aurelius
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by timmyblast(m): 6:44am On Feb 18, 2015
Na question be these: let's do a lil bit of mathematics: Good - God = o.
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by Nobody: 6:45am On Feb 18, 2015
johnydon22:

WORD!!

1 Like

Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by FrenchyL(m): 6:46am On Feb 18, 2015
katme:

Go live for a year in Japan bro...

It won't change anything my brother because I have been on the other side of the divide and I know the difference. By this I mean, I have lived as someone without Christ, I can't even begin to narrate to you my experiences at this time however what I can tell you from my personal relationship and experiences of relating with The Lord are simply #Supernatural. Truly if any man be in Christ, he is a #NewCreature. Some comments on the thread have talked about the bondage of religion and they are right. I say this because being a Christian has nothing to do with religion, it is a relationship with the Father where he lives in you by his Spirit and he does his will through you here on the earth.
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by Nobody: 6:52am On Feb 18, 2015
Though i'm a believer but 4rm EXPERIENCE, i discovered IRONICALY that the GOOD(est) people are atheist!...i.e; president jose mujica of uraguay, in sharp CONTRAST to d legion of DIABOLICS/LOOTERS that uses God to deceive/exploit gullibles...what a world!
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by Acekidc4(m): 6:55am On Feb 18, 2015
johnydon22:

ok read my post again... people are naturally wicked, WTF is wrong with all these guys... which planet did you all come from

Don't mind them, they are just being Baised. They know the truth but won't agree to it!!
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by johnydon22(m): 6:55am On Feb 18, 2015
franugo:

i absolutely love this post like seriously. Bro where have u beenit's been a long time since i saw such a sensible post on nairaland.
have been around boss
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by papaskino(m): 7:02am On Feb 18, 2015
U can't please God just by being nice!!! You have to know God before you can please him!!!
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by wisdompraise(m): 7:04am On Feb 18, 2015
johnydon22:

You can't claim to be moral without the fear of God. The final prove of your morality will be measured by how much you fear and reverence God the author of morality.

So put God aside you will fine that nobody will be moral.
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by wisdompraise(m): 7:12am On Feb 18, 2015
Samirana360:
u can be gud without God, but u can't make heaven without God....u wil just die n perish with ur goodness if u dnt hav God

You can't claim to be moral without the fear of God. The final prove of your morality will be measured by how much you fear and reverence God the author of morality.

Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by johnydon22(m): 7:13am On Feb 18, 2015
tevinsolt:

You don't have to believe in God to be "good". on this I sort of agree with you. but what is good? what is bad? and how do you tell this characteristics or actions apart?
Good morning bro... Like i said in my post goodness is a product of empathy, Considering the feelings of others in your deeds... So good deeds can be said as a deed that coincides with your own good, the good of others and the collective good of the society.

tevinsolt:

is it selfish to study because of the fear of failing on an exam or working hard cuz of the fear of finding yourself at the bottom of the food chain?
is it selfish to not run a red light because you know if you do, there's a painfully large amount of fine you would have to pay?
I see no way such mundane thing like exams can be reconciled to the concept of goodness but yet i will answer. . . study is of no wide scope, everyone on their own and it is unfair to contrast this to the concept of good.
So go back to my post again and read it again.

tevinsolt:

are you absolutely sure that goodness is not dependent on the fear of punishment, that the person you violated or the society won't take actions against you when you've crossed the line?

a look at history is enough to inform you humans have not being very good to each other.
Like i have told someone before any action that is being induced on you by fear or any other factor is not born out pure will, True goodness stems from pure will, goodness should not be dependent on any fear of punishment cus if it those it means without that concept of punishment they will be no goodness.

If you take the feelings of others and collective good of the society into consideration then you will be good towards all because you know it is right to be good.

A look at human history will also inform you that humans have been good and bad to each other. . . None of us are born good or evil but we all have the instinct of good or evil, so we are all capable of great good and great evil it is the choices we make in our deeds that determines of it is right or wrong.
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by xtervaganza(m): 7:15am On Feb 18, 2015
Tuface once said in one of his songs

Did you do it for the good of it, or did you do it cos you wan go heaven....

That's the problem with hypocrites Christians and Muslims. They only do good because it will take them to heaven not because they want to do it

Anyway I've given up on religion and I've seen the light. It's all a fraud to imprison the mind.
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by henryomez(m): 7:17am On Feb 18, 2015
Nice topic but let me start by saying that weather we want it or not there is always a reward for every goodness done. Take for instance u re driving u saw some pple stranded u gave them a ride when. U drop them off dey ll say thank. You and dats a reward.
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by wisdompraise(m): 7:18am On Feb 18, 2015
dalaman:

Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by johnydon22(m): 7:19am On Feb 18, 2015
wisdompraise:

And am sure you know their are thousands of Gods being worshipped by humans...
No Gods is the author of morality, morality is a human concept that has its roots in human empathy towards others and the culture of a particular society.

e.g: The jews endorsed slavery and yahweh their god endorsed it too according to them it is good to keep slaves, But now i see nobody having slaves cus we know it is not right neither is it good to enslave anybody.

Isis and other islamic sects think they are doing the will of allah, thereby their actions are right but we all frown at their actions cus we know it goes against emapthy and humanity.

MORALITY IS HUMAN

1 Like

Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by lolaxavier(m): 7:20am On Feb 18, 2015
Samirana360:

There is a fine line between god/religion and morality. I don't indulge in any form of god/religion and it doesn't in any manner make me bad.
Before the likes of Christianity were shipped down to Africa, are we saying everyone was bad?
Back to your preaching, there's no point threatening or planting fear in the minds of people about going to hell. Perishing without God is the greatest mind control ever made. It is your choice to be controlled by this or not. For me, it is bogus.
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by johnydon22(m): 7:21am On Feb 18, 2015
henryomez:
Nice topic but let me start by saying that weather we want it or not there is always a reward for every goodness done. Take for instance u re driving u saw some pple stranded u gave them a ride when. U drop them off dey ll say thank. You and dats a reward.
Yes they will say thank you but did you stop to pick them because you need them to say thank you?
No you did so because you wanted to help them, because you know is tye right thing to do.
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by johnydon22(m): 7:25am On Feb 18, 2015
FrenchyL:

I am referring to The Lord God almighty, the creator of the heavens and the earth and all that is within it. The God which Christians serve, who by the way, is the one and only True God.
#ThatsWhatIamTalkingAbout
muslims also believe theirs is the God almighty, creator of the heavens and the earth and all within, so does the hindhus and pegans and greeks and vikings... so?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

2-year-Old Girl Preaching At Christ Embassy In Kenya / CAC Members Join The Tiktok Challenge (Video) / Healings At The Lords Chosen Crusade In Warri (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.