Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,527 members, 7,816,287 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:51 AM

Top Ten Signs You're A Fundamentalist Christian - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Top Ten Signs You're A Fundamentalist Christian (31213 Views)

Hilarious ! A Plethora Of Reasons Why You May Be A Fundamentalist Atheist / Why The "Fundamentalist" Approach To Religion Must Be Wrong / 8 Signs You're Under Spiritual Attack And 3 Steps To Freedom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top Ten Signs You're A Fundamentalist Christian by Empiree: 8:34am On Feb 22, 2015
parisbookaddict:

All christain majority countries have anti-slavery laws.. inculding atheist countries such as china....however islamic countries do NOT have anti-slavery laws because it against the quran..the latest islamic calipjate ISIS TRADES SLAVES and sex slaves...Empiree ur defense for islam is both comical and appalling. .
In the past few months, the world has witnessed horrific accounts of the enslavement of thousands of innocent Yazidis and other religious minorities by ISIS partisans in Iraq and Syria.

In a recent article in its online English-language magazine, ISIS ideologues offered legal justifications for the enslavement of these non-Muslim non-combatants, stating that “enslaving the families of the kuffar [infidels] and taking their women as concubines is a firmly established aspect of the Shariah or Islamic law.”

The article argues, based on a variety of Shariah sources, that ISIS partisans have a religious duty to kill or enslave members of the Yazidi community as part of their struggle [jihad] against their enemies.

This argument is plainly wrong, hypocritical and astonishingly ahistorical, relying on male fantasies inspired by stories from the days of imperial Islam.

It is also an affront to right-thinking Muslims everywhere and a criminal perversion of Islamic law, particularly its primary source, the Glorious Quran.

Jurists around the world acknowledge that there is now a universal consensus recognizing an irrefutable human right to be free from slavery and slave-trading.

This right, like the rights to be free from genocide, torture, racial discrimination and piracy, has become a bedrock principle of human affairs. ISIS seeks to remove Islamic jurisprudence from this universal consensus by citing Quranic verses that recognize the existence of chattel slavery.

Citation to Quranic verses on chattel slavery at first blush seems to make this point because the Quran, like other religious texts, accepted the existence of chattel slavery as a fact of life at the time of its revelation.

It is also true, however, that the Quran established an entirely new ethic on the issue of slavery and ISIS’s selective use of certain Quranic texts to justify contemporary chattel slavery ignores this fact.

First, consistent with the new ethic, the emphasis in all of the revelations on slavery is on the emancipation of slaves, not on their capture or the continuation of the institution of slavery. (See, for example, verses 2:177, 4:25, 4:92, 5:89, 14:31, 24:33, 58:3, 90:1-12.)

There is not one single verse suggesting that the practice should continue. Further, the Quran makes no mention of slave-markets or slave-trading and it repeatedly exhorts believers to free their slaves as an exemplification of their piety and belief in God.

Perhaps the best example of this emancipatory ethic is chapter 90, which is explicitly addressed to the Prophet Muhammad. It posits that there are two roads one can take in life and that the “high road” is the one that leads the righteous human being to free slaves.

The Prophet followed this exhortation, exhibiting a great solicitude for the material and spiritual condition of the slaves in the society around him. His example inspired his companions to emancipate thousands of slaves and, in an oft-quoted statement, he remarked that he would meet the man who “sells a free man as a slave and devours his price” on Judgment Day.

This is an explicit condemnation of trafficking in free human beings.

It is true that there are reported examples from the Prophet’s life that describe him as giving and receiving slaves and he even used slavery as a tool of conquest in war.

He freed all of his individually owned slaves and the wartime circumstances in those reports were very unique, involving specific people who engaged in war or treachery against him.

There is only one Quranic verse, 47:4, that authorizes capture of prisoners of war and it does not permit slavery, ordering military commanders to either free the prisoners gratis or hold them for ransom.

Enslaving a prisoner of war is therefore arguably illegal and certainly enslaving a non-combatant is likewise an Islamic crime.

Many forget that, for hundreds of years, Muslim imperialists and slave-traders illegally raided non-combatant villages in Eastern Europe, West Africa, East Africa, India and Southeast Asia, plundering, pillaging and capturing and raping women and children with impunity under pretextual jihads.

It seems that the ISIS ideologues want to revive this shameful legacy.

Traditionalist interpreters conclude that slavery is lawful in Islam simply because there is Quranic legislation regulating it, suggesting an implied permission.

Even the traditionalists must acknowledge, however, that all of the Quranic verses on slavery arise in contexts that overwhelmingly encourage emancipation.

Why is this? It is because the Quranic intendment contemplated a gradual disappearance of chattel slavery.

This is exactly what has happened in history. ISIS refers to the disappearance of chattel slavery in the Muslim world as an “abandonment” of the Shariah.

This is wrong. Rather, the verses contemplate the advent of a slavery-free society through the vehicle of emancipation.
http://www.loonwatch.com/2014/11/isis-says-islam-justifies-slavery-what-does-islamic-law-say/

You know, your Bible contains scores of verses that mention slavery. But no where does it ever condemn the practice, per se.
Re: Top Ten Signs You're A Fundamentalist Christian by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 8:50am On Feb 22, 2015
Empiree:
Honestly, this is reason you need to shut up. Imagine atheists quoting endlessly from bible's justification of slavery by quoting whatever. It makes sense to them but as christian you will try to defend it, isn't ?.

I can go on and quote bible and proof it supports slavery regardless of your defense. But i have better sense than that . There's reason op opened this thread because she recognized clearly that christian colonization of Africa has greater disadvantages on Africa than anything else. Because your conscience hunts you is the reason you people attack islam here.

And no, i wasn't running away. it's late here.

There is slavery in the bible but it is old testament.

We christians are under new dispensation with Christ and the New testament. The New Testament said that there is neither slave nor free in the light if Jesus Christ. We are all humans.

The difference between you and I is that I do not deny the unsavoury parts of the bible.

You in the other hand tried to deceive me by not showing how the Quran deals with the issue of slavery.

Others have even shown how wrong you are on Arab slavery.

You need to learn how to dicuss.
Re: Top Ten Signs You're A Fundamentalist Christian by true2god: 9:13am On Feb 22, 2015
Empiree:

Christian views on slavery are varied both regionally and historically. Slavery in various forms has been a part of the social environment for much of Christianity's history, spanning well over eighteen centuries. In the early years of Christianity, slavery was a normal feature of the economy and society in the Roman Empire, and this persisted in different forms and with regional differences well into the Middle Ages.[1] Most Christian figures in that early period such as Saint Augustine, accepted slavery as an inevitability whereas some, such as Saint Patrick (a former slave), were opposed to it. Both the Old Testament and New Testament treat slavery as a given, to the extent of (in the case of the Old Testament) laying down regulations for its "just" practice. Historically this has presented a challenge for Christians advocating against slavery. Generally speaking, up until the 18th century Christianity accepted slavery, but had no public opinion for or against it. Eighteen centuries after the birth of Christianity (in the context of a particularly savage and rapacious slave system), the abolition movement took shape across the globe, groups who advocated slavery's abolition struggled to use Christian teachings in support of their positions. Instead they turned from the specific references to the practice in the tradition to a more general appeal to concepts such as 'the spirit of Christ', and textual argumentation.[2]
The issue of Christianity and slavery is therefore one that has seen intense conflict. In the eighteenth and nineteenth century debates in the UK and the US passages in the Bible were used by both pro-slavery advocates and abolitionists to support their respective views.

The video provides proper understanding of "slavery" in islam. And what's the countries you mentioned up there got to do with islam?. I dont know why you people trying to cover up slave trade established the name of Christianity that affected the whole. Too late for you to come up with bogus excuses. You basically trying to indict islam. smh for you man

The catholic church and europe engagement in slavery has nothing to do with christianity. There is nowhere in new testament scriptures where slavery was encourage. Jesus, the mediator of the testament did not practice or encourage slavery. Reference to slavery was made in the judaism old testament of the Jewish scripture.

They (christian europe) were doing it purely for commercial and economic interest and not following after the footstep of Jesus as regards slavery. The arab slave masters were following the examples of the Islamic prophet mohammed.
Re: Top Ten Signs You're A Fundamentalist Christian by Empiree: 9:16am On Feb 22, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

We christians are under new dispensation with Christ and the New testament. The New Testament said that there is neither slave nor free in the light if Jesus Christ. We are all humans.

The difference between you and I is that I do not deny the unsavoury parts of the bible.

You in the other hand tried to deceive me by not showing how the Quran deals with the issue of slavery.

i knew you would come with that silly excuse. New Testament was an invention by Tom, Dick and Harry. How's NT superior over OT when it's clearly written ...Jesus said:

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.Matthew 5:17

“It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid.” (Luke 16:17)

[size=15pt]“Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law” (John7:19)[/size]

Silly excuse yet you still carry Old Testament under your arm. You still use it when you want to support Israel. You still use it when you want quote some good stuff. But when it comes to applying the LAW...you quickly and hypocritically turn away from it with silly excuse "Oh that's Old Testament". Nonsense.

You used Old Testament to commit crimes against humanity. You used it to achieve your civilization and robbed primitive people. After you done and satisfied yourselves, you then claim your God is now peaceful. No more violence. Crusade is over etc. In order to hide your filth, you invented "New Testament". What a load of crap!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top Ten Signs You're A Fundamentalist Christian by Empiree: 9:18am On Feb 22, 2015
true2god:
The catholic church and europe engagement in slavery has nothing to do with christianity. There is nowhere in new testament scriptures where slavery was encourage. Jesus, the mediator of the testament did not practice or encourage slavery. Reference to slavery was made in the judaism old testament of the Jewish scripture.

They (christian europe) were doing it purely for commercial and economic interest and not following after the footstep of Jesus as regards slavery.
bogus
Re: Top Ten Signs You're A Fundamentalist Christian by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 9:33am On Feb 22, 2015
Empiree:
i knew you would come with that silly excuse. New Testament was an invention by Tom, Dick and Harry. How's NT superior over OT when it's clearly written ...Jesus said:

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.Matthew 5:17

“It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid.” (Luke 16:17)

[size=15pt]“Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law” (John7:19)[/size]

Silly excuse yet you still carry Old Testament under your arm. You still use it when you wan to support Israel. You still use it when you want quote some good stuff. But when it comes to applying the LAW...you quickly and hypocritically turn away from it with silly excuse "Oh that's Old Testament". Nonsense.

You used Old Testament to commit crimes against humanity. You used it to achieve your civilization and robbed primitive people. After you done and satisfied yourselves, you then claim your God is now peaceful. No more violence. Crusade is over etc. In order to hide filth you invented "New Testament". What a load of crap!

See as how anger has gotten the best of you!

My friend, please stop ranting and throwing the kitchen sink at me. The issue here is slavery and not the dichotomy of the old and new testament.

You can't even see how you misunderstand the qoutes of Jesus you put up there.

Jesus did not come to abolish the old testament laws, he came to fulfil them in the correct way. Jesus didn't abolish the old testament laws, he came to show the true meaning of the laws and also to show which ones that weren't really laws but misinterpreted by the pharisees.

Please, stop failing yourself. As far as the slavery issue is concerned, you have done nothing but expose your ignorance and dishonesty
Re: Top Ten Signs You're A Fundamentalist Christian by Empiree: 9:46am On Feb 22, 2015
true2god:
[quote author=AllNaijaBlogger post=30967115]

They (christian europe) were doing it purely for commercial and economic interest and not following after the footstep of Jesus as regards slavery.
[size=15pt]New Testament[/size]
During the 1st-century New Testament times, slaves who converted to Christianity were regarded as freedmen, brothers in Christ, and included in Christ's kingdom inheritance. These slaves were told to serve their masters as if they were serving Christ, with honesty, faithfulness and respect (Ephesians 6:5-8 KJV). Slaves were encouraged by Paul the Apostle in his first Corinthian Epistle to seek or purchase their freedom whenever possible. (I Corinthians 7:21 KJV). That these things were possible suggests something of the nature of slavery in the first century for a significant proportion of those in this situation.

Avery Robert Dulles held the opinion that "Jesus, though he repeatedly denounced sin as a kind of moral slavery, said not a word against slavery as a social institution", [/b]and believes that [b]the writers of the New Testament did not oppose slavery either. In a paper published in Evangelical Quarterly, Kevin Giles notes that, while he often encountered it, "not one word of criticism did the Lord utter against slavery"; moreover a number of his stories are set in a slave/master situation, and involve slaves as key characters. Giles notes that these circumstances were used by pro-slavery apologists in the 19th century to suggest that Jesus approved of slavery.

It is clear from all the New Testament material that slavery was a basic part of the social and economic environment. Many of the early Christians were slaves. In several Pauline epistles, and the First Epistle of Peter, slaves are admonished to obey their masters, as to the Lord, and not to men. Masters were also told to serve their slaves in the same way. The basic principle was "you have the same Master in heaven, and with him there is no partiality." Peter was aware that there were masters that were gentle and masters that were harsh; slaves in the latter situation were to make sure that their behavior was beyond reproach, and if punished for doing right, to endure the suffering as Christ also endured it. The key theological text is Paul's declaration in his letter to the Galatian churches that (NIV version) "There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus",[49] suggesting that Christians take off these titles because they are now clothed in Christ.

Paul's Epistle to Philemon was an important text for both pro-slavery advocates and abolitionists. This short letter is written to be delivered by the hand of Onesimus, a fugitive slave, whom Paul is sending back to his master Philemon. Paul entreats Philemon to regard Onesimus as a beloved brother in Christ. Cardinal Dulles points out that, "while discreetly suggesting that he manumit Onesimus, [Paul] does not say that Philemon is morally obliged to free Onesimus and any other slaves he may have had."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_views_on_slavery

So slaves had to convert to Christianity to be freed.
Re: Top Ten Signs You're A Fundamentalist Christian by Empiree: 9:59am On Feb 22, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

The video i posted earlier explained much. Its your cup of coffee if you chose not to watch it. Get more clue here. Or copy and paste it in your browser
http://home.insightbb.com/~adamwatson/showcase/quranslavery.html
Re: Top Ten Signs You're A Fundamentalist Christian by parisbookaddict(f): 12:44pm On Feb 22, 2015
Empiree:

In the past few months, the world has witnessed horrific accounts of the enslavement of thousands of innocent Yazidis and other religious minorities by ISIS partisans in Iraq and Syria.

In a recent article in its online English-language magazine, ISIS ideologues offered legal justifications for the enslavement of these non-Muslim non-combatants, stating that “enslaving the families of the kuffar [infidels] and taking their women as concubines is a firmly established aspect of the Shariah or Islamic law.”

The article argues, based on a variety of Shariah sources, that ISIS partisans have a religious duty to kill or enslave members of the Yazidi community as part of their struggle [jihad] against their enemies.

This argument is plainly wrong, hypocritical and astonishingly ahistorical, relying on male fantasies inspired by stories from the days of imperial Islam.

It is also an affront to right-thinking Muslims everywhere and a criminal perversion of Islamic law, particularly its primary source, the Glorious Quran.

Jurists around the world acknowledge that there is now a universal consensus recognizing an irrefutable human right to be free from slavery and slave-trading.

This right, like the rights to be free from genocide, torture, racial discrimination and piracy, has become a bedrock principle of human affairs. ISIS seeks to remove Islamic jurisprudence from this universal consensus by citing Quranic verses that recognize the existence of chattel slavery.

Citation to Quranic verses on chattel slavery at first blush seems to make this point because the Quran, like other religious texts, accepted the existence of chattel slavery as a fact of life at the time of its revelation.

It is also true, however, that the Quran established an entirely new ethic on the issue of slavery and ISIS’s selective use of certain Quranic texts to justify contemporary chattel slavery ignores this fact.

First, consistent with the new ethic, the emphasis in all of the revelations on slavery is on the emancipation of slaves, not on their capture or the continuation of the institution of slavery. (See, for example, verses 2:177, 4:25, 4:92, 5:89, 14:31, 24:33, 58:3, 90:1-12.)

There is not one single verse suggesting that the practice should continue. Further, the Quran makes no mention of slave-markets or slave-trading and it repeatedly exhorts believers to free their slaves as an exemplification of their piety and belief in God.

Perhaps the best example of this emancipatory ethic is chapter 90, which is explicitly addressed to the Prophet Muhammad. It posits that there are two roads one can take in life and that the “high road” is the one that leads the righteous human being to free slaves.

The Prophet followed this exhortation, exhibiting a great solicitude for the material and spiritual condition of the slaves in the society around him. His example inspired his companions to emancipate thousands of slaves and, in an oft-quoted statement, he remarked that he would meet the man who “sells a free man as a slave and devours his price” on Judgment Day.

This is an explicit condemnation of trafficking in free human beings.

It is true that there are reported examples from the Prophet’s life that describe him as giving and receiving slaves and he even used slavery as a tool of conquest in war.

He freed all of his individually owned slaves and the wartime circumstances in those reports were very unique, involving specific people who engaged in war or treachery against him.

There is only one Quranic verse, 47:4, that authorizes capture of prisoners of war and it does not permit slavery, ordering military commanders to either free the prisoners gratis or hold them for ransom.

Enslaving a prisoner of war is therefore arguably illegal and certainly enslaving a non-combatant is likewise an Islamic crime.

Many forget that, for hundreds of years, Muslim imperialists and slave-traders illegally raided non-combatant villages in Eastern Europe, West Africa, East Africa, India and Southeast Asia, plundering, pillaging and capturing and raping women and children with impunity under pretextual jihads.

It seems that the ISIS ideologues want to revive this shameful legacy.

Traditionalist interpreters conclude that slavery is lawful in Islam simply because there is Quranic legislation regulating it, suggesting an implied permission.

Even the traditionalists must acknowledge, however, that all of the Quranic verses on slavery arise in contexts that overwhelmingly encourage emancipation.

Why is this? It is because the Quranic intendment contemplated a gradual disappearance of chattel slavery.

This is exactly what has happened in history. ISIS refers to the disappearance of chattel slavery in the Muslim world as an “abandonment” of the Shariah.

This is wrong. Rather, the verses contemplate the advent of a slavery-free society through the vehicle of emancipation.
http://www.loonwatch.com/2014/11/isis-says-islam-justifies-slavery-what-does-islamic-law-say/

You know, your Bible contains scores of verses that mention slavery. But no where does it ever condemn the practice, per se.

There is a tendency to look at slavery as something of the past empiree.

why does the Bible not speak out strongly against slavery? yet gives
instructions on how slaves should be treated ( Deuteronomy 15:12-15), but does not outlaw slavery altogether.
Many see this as the Bible condoning all forms of slavery.

deut 15:12
If any of your people—Hebrew men or women—sell themselves to you and serve you six years, in the seventh year you must let them go free. 13 And when you release them, do not send them away empty-handed. 14 Supply them liberally from your flock, your threshing floor and your winepress. Give to them as the Lord your God has blessed you. 15 Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and the Lord your God redeemed you. That is why I give you this command today.

The law protected slaves from being abused by their masters:
Killing a slave merited punishment.1(Ex 21:20)
Permanently injured slaves had to be set free (Ex 21:26-27)
Slaves who ran away from oppressive masters were effectively freed (Dt 23:15-16)
The law also gave slaves a day of rest every week (Ex 20:10, Dt 5:14).

Slaves were to be treated as hired workers, not slaves (Lev 25:39-43)
All slaves were to be freed after six years (Ex 21:2, Dt 15:12)
Freed slaves were to be liberally supplied with grain, wine and livestock (Dt 15:12-15)
Every fiftieth year (the year of jubilee), all Hebrew slaves were to be freed, even those owned by foreigners (Lev 25:10, 47-54)
In special cases, slaves could choose to remain with their masters if they felt it was in their best interests (Dt 15:16-17).
If a Hebrew sold himself as a slave to a foreigner, he reserved the right to buy his freedom (Lev 25:47-49) and was still to be treated as a hired man (Lev 25:53).

In some cases, fathers could sell their daughters as a maidservant and wife. Since they were then married to their master, they were not automatically set free after six years (though unmarried female slaves were freed, as Dt 15:12explicitly states). However, they were still protected by the law:
If the husband divorced his wife, the law labeled it "unfair treatment" and allowed for her to be freed (Ex 21:cool
If someone bought a wife for his son, he was to treat her as his daughter (Ex 21:9)
Neglected wives were automatically freed (Ex 21:10-11)

What many
fail to understand is that slavery in biblical times was very different
from the slavery that was practiced in the past few centuries in many
parts of the world. The slavery in the Bible was not based exclusively on
race. People were not enslaved because of their nationality or the color
of their skin. In Bible times, slavery was based more on economics; it was
a matter of social status. People sold themselves as slaves when they
could not pay their debts or provide for their families. In New
Testament times, sometimes doctors, lawyers, and even politicians were
slaves of someone else. Some people actually chose to be slaves so as to
have all their needs provided for by their masters.

The law explicitly condemned all of the following:
Rape (Dt 22:25-27)
Prostitution (23:17-18)
Sex outside of marriage, whether consensual or not (Ex 22:16-17, Dt 22:28-29)
Sex with a slave who was betrothed or married to someone else (Lev 19:20-22)

unlike the quran

Qur'an (23:5-6)- "..who abstain from sex, except with those joined to them in the marriage bond, or (the captives) whom their right hands possess..." This verse permits the slave-owner to have sex with his slaves.

Qur'an (4:24)- "And all married women (are forbidden unto you) save those (captives) whom your right hands possess." Even sex with married slaves is permissible.
Qur'an (8:69)- "But (now) enjoy what ye took in war, lawful and good" A reference to war booty, of which slaves were a part. The Muslim slave master may enjoy his "catch" because (according to verse 71) "Allah gave you mastery over them."

Bukhari (41.598)- Slaves are property. They cannot be freed if an owner has outstanding debt, but can be used to pay off the debt.

Bukhari (62:137)- An account of women taken as slaves in battle by Muhammad's men after their husbands and fathers were killed. The woman were raped with Muhammad's approval.

Bukhari (34:432)- Another account of females taken captive and raped with Muhammad's approval. In this case it is evident that the Muslims intend on selling the women after raping them because they are concerned about devaluing their price by impregnating them. Muhammad is asked about coitus interruptus.

Bukhari (47.765)- A woman is rebuked by Muhammad for freeing a slave girl. The prophet tells her that she would have gotten a greater heavenly reward by giving her to a relative (as a slave).
Bukhari (34:351)- Muhammad sells a slave for money. He was thus a slave trader.

Muslim 3901- Muhammad trades away two black slaves for one Muslim slave.
Muslim 4112- A man freed six slaves on the event of his death, but Muhammad reversed the emancipation and kept four in slavery to himself. He cast lots to determine which two to free.

Bukhari (47:743)- Muhammad's own pulpit - from which he preached Islam - was built with slave labor on his command.

The slavery of the past few centuries was often based exclusively on
skin color. In the United States, many black people were considered
slaves because of their nationality; many slave owners truly believed
black people to be inferior human beings. The Bible condemns race-
based slavery in that it teaches that all men are created by God and
made in His image ( Genesis 1:27 ). At the same time, the Old Testament
did allow for economic-based slavery and regulated it. The key issue is
that the slavery the Bible allowed for in no way resembled the racial
slavery that plagued our world in the past few centuries.
In addition, both the Old and New Testaments condemn the practice of
“man-stealing,” which is what happened in Africa in the 19th century.
Africans were rounded up by slave-hunters, who sold them to slave-
traders, who brought them to the New World to work on plantations and
farms. This practice is abhorrent to God. In fact, the penalty for such a
crime in the Mosaic Law was death: “Anyone who kidnaps another and
either sells him or still has him when he is caught must be put to
death” ( Exodus 21:16 ). Similarly, in the New Testament, slave-traders
are listed among those who are “ungodly and sinful” and are in the
same category as those who kill their fathers or mothers, murderers,
adulterers and perverts, and liars and perjurers ( 1 Timothy 1:8–10 ).
Another crucial point is that the purpose of the Bible is to point the way
to salvation, not to reform society. The Bible often approaches issues
from the inside out. If a person experiences the love, mercy, and grace
of God by receiving His salvation, God will reform his soul, changing the
way he thinks and acts. A person who has experienced God’s gift of
salvation and freedom from the slavery of sin, as God reforms his soul,
will realize that enslaving another human being is wrong. He will see,
with Paul, that a slave can be “a brother in the Lord” ( Philemon 1:16 ). A
person who has truly experienced God’s grace will in turn be gracious
towards others. That would be the Bible’s prescription for ending
slavery. other examples include;

Galatians 3:28p
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond(slave) nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

1 Corinthians 12:13:"For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond(slave) or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit."

Colossians 3:11:"Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond(slave) nor free: but Christ is all, and in all."
Re: Top Ten Signs You're A Fundamentalist Christian by true2god: 2:35pm On Feb 22, 2015
[quote author=Empiree post=30967350][/quote]@ empiree,

You raised a point concerning the mail Paul sent to Philemon on his servant, Onesimus. If you read the whole mail of Paul to Philemon, you will discover that Onesimus was a servant\staff to Philemon and not a slave.

Onesimus defrauded Philemon and ran away from his official duty. When the story got to Paul, he sent a mail to Philemon to forgive Onesimus and take him back, not as a servant, but as a brother. And that he (Paul) is ready to pay all Onesimus had stolen from him (Philemon).

If you take the business model of Igbos as an example, the relationship between a master (shop owner) and his boy (apprentice) is more of a master-servant relationship, unless you want to tell me that Igbos also deal in slavery. I want you to see the relationship between philemon and Onesimus from that angle.

Read the entire epistle of Paul to Philemon and you will have a better understanding.
Re: Top Ten Signs You're A Fundamentalist Christian by true2god: 2:45pm On Feb 22, 2015
[quote author=Empiree post=30967350][/quote]
Re: Top Ten Signs You're A Fundamentalist Christian by true2god: 2:47pm On Feb 22, 2015
[quote author=Empiree post=30967350][/quote]@ Empiree,

The espistle of Paul to the ephesians and the corinthians you mentiones did not say anything about slaves but servants. Paul was drawing an analogy on the need for authority to be respected, using the relationship between a master and a servant to drive home his points.

You can read the places you referenced in the book of ephesians and corinthians for a better understanding. They are written in a simple and plain english.
Re: Top Ten Signs You're A Fundamentalist Christian by Empiree: 3:56pm On Feb 22, 2015
true2god:
@ Empiree,

The espistle of Paul to the ephesians and the corinthians you mentiones did not say anything about slaves but servants. Paul was drawing an analogy on the need for authority to be respected, using the relationship between a master and a servant to drive home his points.

You can read the places you referenced in the book of ephesians and corinthians for a better understanding. They are written in a simple and plain english.
FACTS:

*Did slavery or slave trades exist before prophet Muhammad(Allah's peace and blessings be upon him)? YES

*Did Jews and Christians preceded Muhammad? YES

*Did Jews and Christians have enough grace to abolish slavery before Muhammad? YES

*How many years? 600 years (six centuries)

*Did they abolish slavery within that period? NO

You can not deny these obvious facts. Any wonder why slavery is not recorded much in New Testament?. It's because writers deliberately left it out. How in the world slavery existed before Muhammad and during New Testament era and nothing recorded regarding slavery?. That's hell of culprits. Ancient Jews and Christians had 600 yrs to abolish slavery but Peter, Paul, Mathew, Mark, Luke and John were busy fabricating stories about three-headed gods and left out slavery part.

You can't deny slavery existed between the demise of Jesus (peace be upon him) and advent of Muhammad(peace be upon him). Why did they leave out slave trade in NT?. Slavery recorded in the OT didn't just happen by accident. It happened because Jews, Christians and Pagan Arabs all traded slaves. If you deny this, I ask you why was this event not recorded in NT?. Are you saying Jesus was just sitting around and ignored like it didn't exist?

Ancient Jews and Christians waited for 600 yrs for arrival of Muhammad to abolish what they started. Muhammad was sent to the whole world (of seen and unseen, living and non living things, animals and plants etc). And he delivered the message within 23 yrs period and at the same time had to deal with the mess created Jews and Christians of old.

But MATHEW, MARK, LUKE AND JOHN are not prophets sent by God. They had no job to do. So why did they not talk about slavery?. Why all of a sudden NT barely gives reference to slavery?. So why are you saying Christianity has nothing to do with slavery. That's false. And now you want to blame prophet Muhammad?.

European Christians of course did not start slavery but they pursued the same agenda in different fashion (i:e through secularism) but same agenda of Christians of old. They too quoted Bible at some point during their dirty business. And all the Arab and Muslim countries you mentioned earlier that were forced to end slavery, they themselves were under colonialism of European christian slave traders and masters. They were not independent.
Re: Top Ten Signs You're A Fundamentalist Christian by Empiree: 4:15pm On Feb 22, 2015
The real reason Paul, Peter, Mathew, Mark, Luke and John made little or no reference to slavery in New Testament was because Old Testament was used to achieve their christiandom, christian civilization etc. They massacred and destroyed primitive people to get to the top. After they achieved everything they wanted, they now claimed their God is now peaceful. That He has renounced violence. That same God now transformed to three headed-god and he's peaceful and loving in New Testament. That's bu'llshit if you ask me.

But in the Old Testament, he is violent, detroyer, He was just killing men, women and children. He killed killed killed and killed and intimidated people. He then went for rehab and came out smiling, loving, caring, "no more crusade" bla bla bla after he already achieved everything by violence. And almost everything about his violence past barely recorded in New Testament. In Old Testament, he had swords of Achilles, shield and armor and wore 'abaya'. He rode on camels and horses. After he came out from rehab as "nonviolence", he now rides on BMW, he puts on suit and tie and declared "no more crusade" after he already destroyed people's lives. And now he wants Muhammad to deal with the mess he created. Nonsense!
Re: Top Ten Signs You're A Fundamentalist Christian by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 4:22pm On Feb 22, 2015
Empiree:
FACTS:

*Did slavery or slave trade exist before prophet Muhammad(Allah's peace and blessings be upon him)? YES

*Did Jews and Christians preceeded Muhammad? YES

*Did Jews and Christians have enough grace to abolish slavery before Muhammad? YES

*How many years? 600 years (six decades)

*Did they abolish slavery within that period? NO

You can not deny these obvious facts. Any wonder why slavery is not recorded much in New Testament?. It's because writers delibrately left it out. How in the world slavery existed before Muhammad and during New Testament era and nothing recorded regarding slavery?. That's hell of culprits. Ancient Jews and Christians had 600 yrs to abolish slavery but Peter, Paul, Mathew, Mark, Luke and John were busy fabricating stories about three-headed gods and left out slavery part.

You can't deny slavery existed between demise of Jesus (peace be upon him) and advent of Muhammad(peace be uphon him). Why did they leave out slaveery trade in NT?. Slavery recorded in the OT didnt just happen by accident. It happened because Jews, christians and Pagan Arabs all traded slaves. If you deny this, I ask you why was this event not recorded in NT?. Are you saying Jesus was just sitting around and ignored like it didnt exist?

Ancient Jews and Christians waited for 600 yrs for arrival of Muhammad to abolish what they started. Muhammad was sent to the whole world (of seen and unseen, living and non living things, animals and plants etc). And he delivered the message within 23 yrs period and at the same time had to deal with the mess created Jews and Christians of old. But Mathew, MARK, LUKE AND JOHN are not prophet sent by God. They had no job to do. So why did they not talk about slavery?. Why all of a sudden NT barely gives reference to slavery?. So why are you saying christianity has nothing to do with slavery. That's false. And now you want to blame prophet Muhammad?.

European christians of course did not start slavery but they pursued the same agenda in different fashion (i:e through secularism) but same agenda of christians of old. They too quoted Bible at some point duriing their dirty business. And all the Arab and muslim countries you mentoned ealier that were forced to end slavery, they themselves were under colonianism of European christian slave traders and masters. They were not independent.

Did Muhammad stop slavery? No
Did Islam abolish slavery? No
Do islamic countries use Islamic law to rule abolish slavery? No
Do islamic countries use secular law to rule abolish slavery? Yes

Both christianity and islam have issues with slavery, my friend. We have both abolished it. No religion between the two is better. Stop trying to compare islam as if it has had a better record.

This is my last post here. slavery is outdated, let us each face our own religions in tolerance and peace.
Re: Top Ten Signs You're A Fundamentalist Christian by Empiree: 4:27pm On Feb 22, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Did Muhammad stop slavery? No
Did Islam abolish slavery? No
Do islamic countries use Islamic law to rule abolish slavery? No
Do islamic countries use secular law to rule abolish slavery? Yes

Both christianity and islam have issues with slavery, my friend. We have both abolished it. No religion between the two is better. Stop trying to compare islam as if it has had a better record.

This is my last post here. slavery is outdated, let us each face our own religions in tolerance and peace.
hehehehehe #yeyeman. Now you backed off. I don tire you self. But before, you and true2god made it look like Islam was responsible for it 100% and "Christians" who traded did slaves had nothing to do with Christianity. Nonsense.
Re: Top Ten Signs You're A Fundamentalist Christian by malvisguy212: 4:27pm On Feb 22, 2015
Empiree:
The real reason Paul, Peter, Mathew, Mark, Luke and John made little or no reference to slavery in New Testament was because Old Testament was used to achieve their christiandom, christian civilization etc. They massacred and destroyed primitive people to get to the top. After they achieved everything they wanted, they now claimed their God is now peaceful. That He has renounced violence. That same God now transformed to three headed-god and he's peaceful and loving in New Testament. That's bu'llshit if you ask me.

But in the Old Testament, he is violent, detroyer, He was just killing men, women and children. He killed killed and killed and intimidated people. He then went for rehab and came out smiling, loving, caring, "no more crusade" bla bla bla after he already achived everything by violence. And almost everything about his violence past barely recorded in New Testament. In Old Testament, he had sword of Achillies, shield and armor and wore 'abaya'. After he came out from rehab as "nonviolence", he puts on suit and declared "no more crusade" after he already destroyed people's lives. And now he wants Muhammad to deal with the mess he created. Nosense

you don't know what you are saying.

According to Old Testament law,
anyone caught selling another person
into slavery was to be executed:

"He who kidnaps a man, whether he
sells him or he is found in his
possession, shall surely be put to
death." ( Exodus 21:16)

In the old testament people volunteers to work for what they want just as Jacob did before he get married,for this God seth law to guide them;

"If a man strikes his male or female
slave with a rod and he dies at his
hand, he shall be
punished." ( Exodus 21:20).

All what you wrote are from your own wrong idea.
Re: Top Ten Signs You're A Fundamentalist Christian by true2god: 4:42pm On Feb 22, 2015
@ Empiree,

You need not be angry. Neither Jesus nor the apostles (John, peter, james, philip, barthilomew, james, paul, mathias etc) partcipated nor traded in slaves. Why do you want them to right on evil they never participated or practiced (tho' there was slavery at that time)?

Mohammed, and his sahadas, (companions) on the other hand fully engaged in slave trade. The hadith and the quran (a supposedly litearal words from allah) fully endorssed slavery and prescribed how to have sexx with female slaves.

Dont blame me, blame mohammed and allah for not doing the right thing. You wont take my points rational as long as you take allah serios.
Re: Top Ten Signs You're A Fundamentalist Christian by Empiree: 4:49pm On Feb 22, 2015
true2god:
@ Empiree,

You need not be angry. Neither Jesus nor the apostles (John, peter, james, philip, barthilomew, james, paul, mathias etc) partcipated nor traded in slaves. Why do you want them to right on evil they never participated or practiced (tho' there was slavery at that time)?

Mohammed, and his sahadas, (companions) on the other hand fully engaged in slave trade. The hadith and the quran (a supposedly litearal words from allah) [s]fully endorssed slavery and prescribed how to have sexx with female slaves.[/s]

Dont blame me, blame mohammed and allah for not doing the right thing. You wont take my points rational as long as you take allah serios.
Honestly, you are just being stiff-neck. Allnaijablogger guy got my points.I made my points clear. If you claim John, Mathew, Mark, Luke, Philip, James and so on did not participate, why did they not abolish it?. Abolition was not recorded in NT. That's means abolishing slavery was not in their best interest. They were culprits. My points are very clear and precise. And who told you im angry. Did i sound like that to you?. smh...excuses as usual
Re: Top Ten Signs You're A Fundamentalist Christian by malvisguy212: 5:01pm On Feb 22, 2015
true2god:
@ Empiree,

Mohammed, and his sahadas, (companions) on the other hand fully engaged in slave trade. The hadith and the quran (a supposedly litearal words from allah) fully endorssed slavery and prescribed how to have sexx with female slaves.

muhammed is a false prophet;

Qur'an 69:44-46 And if he (Muhammad)
had forged a false saying concerning Us
We surely should have seized him by his
right hand (or with power and might),
and then certainly should have cut off
his life artery (AORTA). [Hilali-Khan]

So if Muhammad had been a false
prophet and a liar and a deceiver, we
know how Allah would've killed him—
Allah would've cut his aorta. As long as
no one severs Muhammad's AORTA
Guess what?

Sahih al-Bukhari 4428 The Prophet in
his ailment in which he DIED, used to
say, "O Aishah! I still feel the pain
caused by the food I ate at Khaibar, and
at this time, I feel as if my AORTA is being cut from that poison."

Meaning he is a false prophet
Note:this is from Islamic source
Re: Top Ten Signs You're A Fundamentalist Christian by Empiree: 5:46pm On Feb 22, 2015
Thank you liekiller for giving me oppportunity to contribute on your thread. Very interesting. I dey enjoy am.

1 Like

Re: Top Ten Signs You're A Fundamentalist Christian by Liekiller(f): 6:31pm On Feb 22, 2015
Empiree:
Thank you liekiller for giving me oppportunity to contribute on your thread. Very interesting. I dey enjoy am.

It's public and open to all on here, no need to thank me. I'm glad you're enjoying it though grin
Re: Top Ten Signs You're A Fundamentalist Christian by true2god: 8:03pm On Feb 22, 2015
malvisguy212:

Guess what?

Empiree will accuse you of quoting a 'weak' hadith as long as it doesn't speak well of Islam.

To butress your point, I have certain questions and answers.

Did christian europe participate in slave trade? Yes.

Did muslim arabs participate in slave trade? Yes.

Have christian europe apologize for that slave trade crime? Yes.

Have muslim arab apologize for that slave trade crime? No.

Have european authors written books condemning the slave trade era? Yes.

Have muslim authors written books condemning arab roles in slave trade? No

have the european christians done many films demonizing\condemning slavery? Yes.

Have muslims done any film demonzing and condemning slavery? No.

REASON: Any attempt by any muslim\arab at doing the above will be an indirect indictment against the islamic prophet who fully and actively participated in slave trade.
Re: Top Ten Signs You're A Fundamentalist Christian by true2god: 8:04pm On Feb 22, 2015
malvisguy212:

Guess what?

Re: Top Ten Signs You're A Fundamentalist Christian by true2god: 8:07pm On Feb 22, 2015
true2god:
Empiree will accuse you of quoting a 'weak' hadith as long as it doesn't speak well of Islam.

Did christian europe participated in slave trade? Yes.

Did muslim arabs participated in slave trade? Yes.

Have christian europe apologized for that slave trade crime? Yes.

have the european christians done many films demonizing\condemning slavery? Yes.

REASON: Any attempt by any muslim\arab at doing the above will be an indirect indictment against the islamic prophet who fully and actively participated in slave trade.
A piuos muslim (like empiree) will do anything (like lying, fighting, feigning ignorance) to protect the honour of the islamic prophet moahammed.
Re: Top Ten Signs You're A Fundamentalist Christian by true2god: 8:08pm On Feb 22, 2015
true2god:

Re: Top Ten Signs You're A Fundamentalist Christian by Empiree: 9:19pm On Feb 22, 2015
true2god:
A piuos muslim (e) will do anything (likeignce) to protect the honour of the islamic prophet moahammed.
true2god:
[size=4pt]will accuse you of quoting a 'weak' hadith as long as it doesn't speak well of Islam.
[/size]
hehehe, I'm winning grin now you seem to agree that Christianity was initially responsible for slavery. Now you agreed that Christianity and Christian fanatics who colonized the whole world are indeed guilty.

Whether they condemned or apologized is irrelevant. The deed is done and still hunting. When folks think of slavery, what comes to mind is Christianity. That's widely understood.

Christians apologized but have institution of slavery in place.

Christian apologized but never de-coloonized their former colonies

Christians apologized but setting up new form of slavery (Africom).

Arab slave trades was not worldwide or widely known to many. After all, it all started by you freaking people. Your apologies are not accepted because it was not sincere. You lied at the beginning that Christians and Christianity had nothing to do with slavery. So who's a liar now? You shocked

Am glad you confessed. Glory be to Allah. I am wining. Oh wait oh, it was only 8-9 years ago NY officially apologized for slavery after over 400years. I don't know of UK. Either way, ancient Christians did not apologize because there is no reference for that in the bible.

I won't personally worry about Arabs apologies because their mischievous involvement have less global impacts unlike you Christian slave masters. All evidences abound and obvious. So brother, keep your "apologies" "condemnations" to yourself. It should have been made at least since 70AD or before our prophet Muhammad ( God bless him) was born to deal with your mess.

Empire's wining grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top Ten Signs You're A Fundamentalist Christian by ribbit: 9:36pm On Feb 22, 2015
davidylan:

you vigorously deny the existence of any god, but feel absolutely outraged when someone exposes the bankruptcy of your "scientific" alternative.

You howl about the silliness in religious blind faith, but have no problem in blindly believing what you read on atheists blogs, dressed up as "science" that you have never tested and have no clue if its true or not.

You laugh at religious people, but have no problem bowing at the altar of false science.

You wax lyrical about the "atrocities" of religious people, but turn bright red when anyone dares to remind you of the genocide committed by your favorite atheist leaders.

you laugh at the idiocy of religious beliefs, yet believe that the earth just magically appeared out of nowhere.

You spend your life ferreting on blogs to find little loopholes in religious beliefs (you are not even smart enough to come up with a list of your own, shame), but have no problem believing that you are a product of primordial soup.

You bat no eyelid at destroying religious people, yet whine that you're being condemned to a hell you claim not to believe in anyway.

You waffle on about modern science, yet ask you to explain how a simple theory is responsible for modern man and you start huffing and puffing.

You revile religious people for defining 0.01% as a high success rate, yet believe that a 1 in a zillion statistical chance that primordial soup will form RNA is "modern science".

you continue to perpetuate the laughable dribble that you know more about the bible than christians even though your "knowledge" is severely limited to copy-pasting weblinks... wonder what you would do if google did not exist.

lol... you whine about religion, yet virtually all your angst is always against christianity and nothing else... wonder why.

Feel free to set up a thread just to talk about pure science, no religion... see how long you last.
lmao ... this is creatively dumb grin

mr false science

1 Like

Re: Top Ten Signs You're A Fundamentalist Christian by ribbit: 10:10pm On Feb 22, 2015
Liekiller:

of course I could. I'm actually a biologist. But I won't. It's not my job to teach you biology. I would go through the effort if it weren't such a waste of time. But you are not willing to look at and understand the evidence because your mind is made up that it can't be true because it contradicts your belief. You are free to believe whatever you wish of course. It's just funny that you keep asking for evidence (even though it's all published and there for everybody to see) but don't need any evidence to support your own belief.
even if you tell these people that oxygen is the reason why they live...they will ask creative stupid question like bring oxygen or there is no evidence that they need oxygen but god to live when it is so obvious that they... need oxygen to live...

since you didnt discover oxygen or carry out some scientific experiment on oxygen means the whole idea is stupid.... theists101

its as a result of years and years of brainwashing... they will never think outside the box but bible written by drunk barbarian after sleeping with 13 years old girl.

3 Likes

Re: Top Ten Signs You're A Fundamentalist Christian by Liekiller(f): 1:16am On Feb 23, 2015
ribbit:
even if you tell these people that oxygen is the reason why they live...they will ask creative stupid question like bring oxygen or there is no evidence that they need oxygen but god to live when it is so obvious that they... need oxygen to live...

since you didnt discover oxygen or carry out some scientific experiment on oxygen means the whole idea is stupid.... theists101

its as a result of years and years of brainwashing... they will never think outside the box but bible written by drunk barbarian after sleeping with 13 years old girl.

that sums it up extremely well grin
Re: Top Ten Signs You're A Fundamentalist Christian by Nobody: 6:13am On Feb 23, 2015
ribbit:
lmao ... this is creatively dumb grin

mr false science

you could have pointed out what you found fault with, rather than the usual l recourse to bellicose emptiness.
Re: Top Ten Signs You're A Fundamentalist Christian by Nobody: 6:16am On Feb 23, 2015
ribbit:

this is actually an illogical argument... a red herring meant to detract from the fact that most who whine about science actually know very little about it. We can prove oxygen exists empirically... where is the empirical proof that macro evolution is true? That is the question and constantly avoiding it in favor of juvenile outbursts such as yours basically exposes the intellectual bankruptcy of your likes.

lol again i see the retort to "thinking outside the box"... the truth is that you aren't thinking outside the box either. Virtually all of your "science" is basically copied from what atheists websites feed you. I mean case in point... the very first post on this thread is basically a shameless copy/paste from an anti-religious website. At least some like to think inside the box, you don't seem capable of any original thought whatsoever.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing / New Photos Of Akwa Ibom Boy Abandoned To Die For Being A Wizard Will Shock You / Mosques And Churches To Reopen In Lagos On August 7 & 9 Respectively

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 168
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.