Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,975 members, 7,814,325 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:03 AM

Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? (90435 Views)

The 10 Most Expensive Cultures/tribes In Nigeria To Marry From / If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) / 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Sunnidinho: 5:12pm On Feb 22, 2015
I think it has more to do with family exposure. I have seen an igbo boy that married a yoruba lady in ondo town and vice versa. I have also met some igbo girls who they wouldnt date igbo guys cos the igbo guy would eventually go back to villlage to marry another gal. Such scenario applies to all tribes.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by laudate: 5:15pm On Feb 22, 2015
J12:
- Actually, of the three major tribes in Nigeria, Igbo's give less priority to tribal factors in relationship and marriage than the other two major tribes.
- Also, Of the three major tribes, igbos are the least likely to marry someone of their own tribe than the other two.

Hmmnnn...least likely?? Dunno about that. undecided

J12:

Your argument or allegation that Igbos like to marry themselves is very false.

Er...you need to read through all the comments on this thread before jumping to this conclusion. Some folks from the South-east have actually concurred with the fact that they prefer to marry within their tribe for various reasons. wink

J12:

A traditional ruler in my village married an Edo woman(his only wife) in 1948, our people treated her with respect and love.
Nnamdi Azikiwe was first married to a white woman.

Many Igbos are married to people of foreign nationalities and cultures.
Igbo's marry everywhere, we're free spirited, we travel and emigrate alot. It is unlikely that we'll find someone from our tribe to get married to during our sojourns in foreign lands.

You have merely cited a few exceptions to the rule, and not the norm. Some folks marry foreigners to get their residency papers, not necessarily because they are in love, so please don't be quick to jump to conclusions by saying "Many Igbos are married to people of foreign nationalities and cultures." People from other cultures do the same thing, too. undecided

Zik still came back home to marry an Igbo woman, named Flora Ogboegbunam who wedded Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe in 1936, when he was 32 years. They both had one daughter and three sons, amongst whom are Chukuma, a Diplomat and Chukuemeka, a businessman.
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Nobody: 5:15pm On Feb 22, 2015
xhamel89:

The truth is that Igbos are highly tribalistic. No tribe does it better. They are the best in their own eyes. Others are bad, hausas are illiterates, Yorubas are dirty. All sort of things you hear from them. That feature of them is a clear a position of their tribalism life. The day an Igbo rule Nigeria, we are finish.

One Company on Allen Avenue in Ikeja here, does not only teach his Igbo brothers that other tribes are bad, especially Yorubas, it also ensure that other tribes are like Isrealites in Goshen. Too bad for who create this mentality in them.

Quote me and.........

What's your point really? Don't other tribes say that Igbos are greedy, fraudsters, kidnappers etc? Is there any tribe in Nigeria that doesn't have something bad to say about Igbos? So why does it become a problem if Igbos have something bad to say about other tribes?
You sound extremely tribalistic, yet call Igbos tribalistic. Shame!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Nobody: 5:16pm On Feb 22, 2015
I dont know why anambra people are so proud,they behave as we igbos are not one.you will see them posting things like"IF YOUR HUSBAND/BOYFRIEND/WIFE/GIRLFRIEND IS NOT FROM ANAMBRA STATE THEN YOU ARE STILL SINGLE".its ridiculous for crying out loud,we are one
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Nobody: 5:17pm On Feb 22, 2015
Even though am not from anambra state,but I am ibo speaking. I suffered the worst heartbreak of my life when after about two years my boyfriend then ended our relationship after engagement and showing me to his parents. My enemy almost had a heart attack;thank God I am married to the most wonderful man in the whole world. Pls tell your friend to run for her dear life.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by SkinnyDude(m): 5:17pm On Feb 22, 2015
whatx:

That's my problem with you. For you to remember their route is tribalistic and racial to me.

Who cares where they came from after wedding. But una, any small thing una go refer to their route.

Hhn hnn hnn (Pete edochie laugh)
and this is my problem with you anti-igbos. na generalization go kill all of una. i have to point out where they came from, since the Op is mad and doesn't know she shouldn't judge a whole tribe with her cousin's BF or wharever!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Ishilove: 5:18pm On Feb 22, 2015
laudate:

Well said!! True talk! cool

In fact that comment about "The issue is dating a person you have no interest in marrying. Why date someone you can't envision a future with? If you know your folks won't accept people from a certain tribe then why date such people?? It is the height of callousness. You waste their time, resources and emotions etc and still end up dumping them. It's like dating a non-Christian when you know your folks will not accept a non-Christian. That's wickedness....." is so authentic, that if this was a term paper, you would get an A-plus for it! grin

When you said "The love of nowadays is wearing long range field lens..." I started laughing, and haven't been able to stop since cheesy. Chai! I weak oh! LWKMD
Lol. Thanks but it is a hard cold, unfortunate fact.
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by veave(f): 5:18pm On Feb 22, 2015
I'm an Anambarian. There's not beating about the bush on the matter. I'll marry and Igbo man. If possible from Anambra. If i can even get one from my mothers place, the better.

Amen!

cool

9 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by camelus: 5:20pm On Feb 22, 2015
unofficial:
Your friend or you?
Lol
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by SkinnyDude(m): 5:20pm On Feb 22, 2015
all these anti-igbo and anambra, thunder strike you all.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Nobody: 5:20pm On Feb 22, 2015
I'm from urhobo Delta state but I know Anambrarians that married outside their state.

Chimamanda Adichie and Ivara Esege
Adaeze Igwe and Joseph Yobo
Peter Okoye and Lola Omotoya
Paul Okoye and Anita Isama etc

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by bdchange(m): 5:20pm On Feb 22, 2015
@ op. If I say I understand u den am bluffing. Som of u just live and breath within ur small town, village or hut but easily jump to conclusion on matas u don't av broad exposure on. Many threads av been created on issues like dis and counter thread has followed in d past here on nl. Yet ppl like u don't learn. I personally av seen cases of one tribe rejectin d odas for one reasons or d oda even if its selfish. For example I av seen different xters of diff tribes xo now I ubderstand dat individuality plays in along d way. If anambra person decides to marry frm his/her place, xo be it because it happens in oda tribes too. If u av not witness it.. Dats ur own cup of sugar n tea not mine. But it happens all d tym. So pls stop making noise in a vacuum because it disturbs nobody(dats if u understand d meaning)

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Jay5000(m): 5:20pm On Feb 22, 2015
Languages - doing what they were designed to do since Genesis 11. undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Ishilove: 5:21pm On Feb 22, 2015
Jamean:
Gracias.

My family at large have reservations (I don't know where it came from) about marrying from a particular tribe, to the extent that a cousin who had dated a guy from that tribe for 10years was not allowed to marry him.

I just said 10years, not 4,5 or 7. She's unmarried since '08.

We've been sounded this warning from childhood so I don't even bother taking the road when I won't get to the end point. As I do not support marrying without parental approval.

People should be wise.

Simple. Wisdom will save them a lot of heart ache in the long run.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by whatx: 5:22pm On Feb 22, 2015
Sunnybobo3:

It's a pity that at the age of 26 your life is like this.

Pele!

N#gger grow up. If you be dangote you nor go deynairaland9 on a Sunday. So shut up.

Hhn hnn hnn (Pete edochie laugh)
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by SkinnyDude(m): 5:22pm On Feb 22, 2015
Eve0000:
I dont know why anambra people are so proud,they behave as we igbos are not one.you will see them posting things like"IF YOUR HUSBAND/BOYFRIEND/WIFE/GIRLFRIEND IS NOT FROM ANAMBRA STATE THEN YOU ARE STILL SINGLE".its ridiculous for crying out loud,we are one
typical imo girl.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by laudate: 5:23pm On Feb 22, 2015
squaddy:

Oooh shut the hell up with your stupid lies. Ofe nmanu masking as igbo. Where in anioma are you from? Bloody Arrow!

Why the insult?? I was almost in tears when I read the guy's story. The guy shared his true-life experience with you and now you want to kill him for that Kai!
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by bdchange(m): 5:24pm On Feb 22, 2015
njays24:
Even though am not from anambra state,but I am ibo speaking. I suffered the worst heartbreak of my life when after about two years my boyfriend then ended our relationship after engagement and showing me to his parents. My enemy almost had a heart attack;thank God I am married to the most wonderful man in the whole world. Pls tell your friend to run for her dear life.

Sorry to ask. And u think a person ffrm anoda tribe wudnt or can't do dat to u? Pls ansa me wit reasons

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by SkinnyDude(m): 5:25pm On Feb 22, 2015
ILIDEFI:

What's your point really? Don't other tribes say that Igbos are greedy, fraudsters, kidnappers etc? Is there any tribe in Nigeria that doesn't have something bad to say about Igbos? So why does it become a problem if Igbos have something bad to say about other tribes?
You sound extremely tribalistic, yet call Igbos tribalistic. Shame!
dont mind them. they hate us this much, but wont allow us to go away and rule ourselves. ndi ala!

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Okeikpu(m): 5:26pm On Feb 22, 2015
We preferred to marry our ladies, cos they're the only ones that can raise our kids to the highest level (⌒▽⌒)we don't wanna marry from those tribes that ll raise agboros 4us(¬_¬)

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by whatx: 5:27pm On Feb 22, 2015
enkay4love:
@ OP,tell ur cousin to simply move on,he simply was pitching tent with her when he had nothing,& now that he has"hammered" he has become over classy to marry her,using the lame cover of "my momma said I shuld marry from my tribe"like seriously? Tell her to ensure he pays her off to compensate her for the time wasted,so that she does'nt lose on both ends. They are very tribalistic & very cunning about marrying outside of their tribe.Imagine som1 telling me once that if an Anambra man marries a non-Ibo,he'll be deemed as being under a spell,hehehe grin like seriously.It was really a funny scenario cos one expected the person in question to reason differently based on education & exposure. Ibos should marry themselves alone abeg,so that they can understand their complex nature. Ur cousin should just regard it as a mistake & just move on,life is too beautifuul to dwell on disapointment for long.

Point of correction Ibo different from Igbo. Delta ibo see open
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by squaddy(m): 5:28pm On Feb 22, 2015
laudate:

Why the insult?? I was almost in tears when I read the guy's story. The guy shared his true-life experience with you and now you want to kill him for that Kai!

Hahahahhaha...what phucking life story? The nigga is a blatant liar. I dare him to tell me what part of anioma he hails from.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by maestroferddi: 5:31pm On Feb 22, 2015
Sweetlemon:

The Igbos in my company have their own clique. You need to see how they constantly bash non-Igbos especially Yorubas. In any department with an Igbo executive, Yorubas are in trouble there! But Yoruba executives usually create level-playing field.
Stop the cheap lies.

When it comes to tribalism, Yorubas have no match in Nigeria.

Just see what they are doing in Nigerian banking industry...

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by GodMode: 5:32pm On Feb 22, 2015
They are religious...

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by GodMode: 5:33pm On Feb 22, 2015
maestroferddi:
Stop the cheap lies.

When it comes to tribalism, Yorubas have no match in Nigeria.

Just see what they are doing in Nigerian banking industry...

What are they doing
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by whatx: 5:35pm On Feb 22, 2015
waternogetemeny:

Just like the fulani will prefer a mohammed and the yorubas will prefer an Adewale.

If anything too many of my sisters are married outside their tribe. We are not proud of dat.

I nor understand you oh. I only replied someone who is justifying by giving an example of an Igbo lady getting married to a foreign actor. So i ask " if na your sister you go agree make she marry Charles Okafor instead? Charles Okafor na Igbo, incase you nor understand
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by bigfrancis21: 5:36pm On Feb 22, 2015
CHM11:

Thank you...
Anybody who have served in the east or even rivers state(where east based igbos are the majority) know what I'm saying... Its very very hard to understand them... To them its right if they spit on you, but when you spit on them they want to start fighting....
Anyway, its better for them to live amongst themselves.
Whoever likes should hate my comment but I just spoke the truth.

EAST BASED IGBOS ARE A WEIRD...someone shoot me!!!!!!

You've kept on mentioning this particular thing again and again and I've asked you, what exactly is weird about them? What exactly don't you understand about them? And what was your experience?

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Blitz888(m): 5:36pm On Feb 22, 2015
Anambrarians can't do without their mums... Don't blame us.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Sarimah(f): 5:38pm On Feb 22, 2015
njays24:
I can feel your pain

one guy from anambra state did the same thing to my elder sister
he ended the relationship after 5 good years cos his parents wanted him to marry an Igbo girl.
my sis is married with kids now and he's still searching for an Igbo girl to marry..

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by fanysteve: 5:39pm On Feb 22, 2015
CHM11:
Dear OP, please leave igbos alone if you are not igbo. Let them keep marrying themselves, its better for them.

I just pity peeps who date igbos!!,..especially igbos who live or have lived in the east...how do you cope with them??

Had to live amongst some east-based igbo guys and ladies during my NYSC..... Worst experience of my life....
Its worse that when they are told they are hard to understand, they all fall back to insulting in their local dialect.. You will hear things like ewu, anuofia etc...proving my point again....

igbo ndị karịsịa ndị na-dabeere nọ n'ebe ọwụwa anyanwụ dị
nnọọ na-akpa ọchị ndị mmadụ. Ha anaghị akpa àgwà ka
nkịtị mmadụ. Ndị njem dị anya ma obosara ịmụta na-akpa
àgwà dị mma ma ndị na-ahụ n'ebe ọwụwa anyanwụ bụ nanị
larịị na ụmụ anụmanụ. Onye ọ bụla na-anaghị amasị nwere
ike iji kacha nso eriri ka kpọgidere ya onwe ya. na-akpa ọchị
ndị mmadụ.

Plenty tongue out!!!!
mugu man

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Franchise21(m): 5:39pm On Feb 22, 2015
laudate:

Come here and collect a royal handshake for telling the truth, while others are still living in denial!! grin cool

Royal handshake collected
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by sexymonkey(m): 5:40pm On Feb 22, 2015
CHM11:

I've noticed that Nairalanders based in the USA can write long epistles, couldn't even finish my igbo brother's comment.
But I get his point.
@bigfrancis21 nice point, but here's my view.
Others do it doesn't make I right.
Additionally, Nigeria is made up of major 3 regions. North west and east. The people in the North inter marry freely, fulani, gwarri, benue, hausa, Tiv etc....people in the west intermarry freely too, yoruba, egun, badagry, etc. But because tribes in the EAST are much, igbo's don't like marrying others and its justified because it favours them better.

I for example wouldn't want any of family member to marry an igbo man or woman, I'd rather marry a yoruba or even a fulani. This is because I have not had a good experience as regards the igbos I've encountered in life.
All in all, igbos!!..marry yourselves, its good for you bcause other tribes will hardly understand your behavior and character.
Nna Badagry is just a town, not a tribe

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (25) (Reply)

Photo Of Ooni Of Ife's New Wife As Claimed By Women Of Rubies (But It Is Fake) / Hero:king JAJA OF OPOBO Full Biography,history Battle With The British(pictures) / Urhobo Names And Their Meanings.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.