Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,720 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:48 PM

I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back (68648 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 11 / Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 4:35pm On Feb 28, 2015
cbrass:

Hmm so all those rigorous years in the university is just wasted if I travel to Canada to work? I think it's just share wickedness I will rather stay back in my country then
It is not wickedness...It's just their system of protecting their country from invasion by quacks.
Apart from that Engineering (this is my field) is different in different regions of the world e.g Roads are not built the same way in Canada like the UK. Canada is colder hence the roads need higher capping layers, building codes are different too, they require more insulation. Electrical codes are different too e.g Canada does not use the red for live and black for neutral e.t.c

3 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by EMEzzy(m): 4:35pm On Feb 28, 2015
uplawal:
tHIS GUY IS DAM FUNNY,THATS THE REALITY OF LIFE ABROAD,WHITE PEOPLE ARE VERY BORING,YOU DNT LAUGH,SHOW ANY EXCITEMENT OUTSIDE,THEY ALWAYS LOOK LIKE THEY ARE ROBOT AND LIKE LIFE HAS DEALTH WITH THEM IN A SORROWFULWAY.
Lol,i agree with you,but the advantage the uk has is that its multicultural (you should know since you live in uk)the asians are very funny,my babe is pakistani and she's bloody funny hehe,if i'm to get married, humor would be top on my wishlist,cant live with someone who's mentor is Anne robinson(host of weakest link) i go run be that.lol

2 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by ccaramel(f): 4:38pm On Feb 28, 2015
irridemi:
wow thanks. I am looking at Masters in Management , MBA or Msc in Employee Relations @ Memorial Uni in NewFoundland.
ok, looks like you are thinking of a career change? I was speaking for options for you to become an auditor in Ontario. Don't know about those courses you mentioned and job prospect. You mentioned your SIL not getting a job yet so you have to be very careful choosing what professional course to do. Those are Oyibo courses o. If MBA, target Finance or accounting related that is if you want to continue in auditing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by ttmacoy: 4:48pm On Feb 28, 2015
Whilst I am not exactly familiar in with the Canadian system, I am well versed with the UK and US system and an MBA from a good school is a very good entry point into those countries.

You have an auditor background and you can leverage this with an MBA to get a good job through on campus recruitment. As I said this depends on the school you are aiming for.

Diff with an MBA and maybe other masters is with an MBA (school dependent) there's a healthy on campus recruiting process which is structured and also internships will give you a leg up. Meanwhile for masters programs you tend to apply for specific roles which is harder and also they tend to be one year with no internship option etc. All in all it depends on what your career goals are.

I work with one of the big 4 within their consulting arm and relate with lots of MBAs. 7 years experience with an accounting firm and a bank is a good shot for post MBA recruiting.

Just another angle to look at it from.

The downside though is such schools with strong recruiting pipeline have high entry requirements and are usually expensive. In the UK and US good GMAT scores can get you scholarships but I'm not familiar with the Canadian system to know if you get scholarships as well.

http://www.businessbecause.com/news/mba-north-america/2488/hot-mba-jobs-surge-for-mba-in-canada

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/10/28/international-students-are-using-the-canadian-mba-as-a-portal-to-international-business/#__federated=1

irridemi:
wow thanks. I am looking at Masters in Management , MBA or Msc in Employee Relations @ Memorial Uni in NewFoundland.
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 5:01pm On Feb 28, 2015
ccaramel:
ok, looks like you are thinking of a career change? I was speaking for options for you to become an auditor in Ontario. Don't know about those courses you mentioned and job prospect. You mentioned your SIL not getting a job yet so you have to be very careful choosing what professional course to do. Those are Oyibo courses o. If MBA, target Finance or accounting related that is if you want to continue in auditing.
Not necessarily, I will definitely still do professional courses, but not masters in accounting or finance(for me it will be boring just saying), its either I go for MBA or Masters in Management, with this get a good job and start doing my professional course gradually. then money too, I want to work then get my bearing. For professional course (it costs) and then I need a 2year course so my hubby can claim open work permit(nt sure of d words), and then apply for 3years post graduate work permit. So hopefully, within 1year after my mba, (I shud av gotten a fair job) so hubby can go for his professional course.

3 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 5:03pm On Feb 28, 2015
ttmacoy:
Whilst I am not exactly familiar in with the Canadian system, I am well versed with the UK and US system and an MBA from a good school is a very good entry point into those countries.

You have an auditor background and you can leverage this with an MBA to get a good job through on campus recruitment. As I said this depends on the school you are aiming for.

Diff with an MBA and maybe other masters is with an MBA (school dependent) there's a healthy on campus recruiting process which is structured and also internships will give you a leg up. Meanwhile for masters programs you tend to apply for specific roles which is harder and also they tend to be one year with no internship option etc. All in all it depends on what your career goals are.

I work with one of the big 4 within their consulting arm and relate with lots of MBAs. 7 years experience with an accounting firm and a bank is a good shot for post MBA recruiting.

Just another angle to look at it from.

The downside though is such schools with strong recruiting pipeline have high entry requirements and are usually expensive. In the UK and US good GMAT scores can get you scholarships but I'm not familiar with the Canadian system to know if you get scholarships as well.

http://www.businessbecause.com/news/mba-north-america/2488/hot-mba-jobs-surge-for-mba-in-canada

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/10/28/international-students-are-using-the-canadian-mba-as-a-portal-to-international-business/#__federated=1

that's what I want to do.
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by ephi123(f): 5:04pm On Feb 28, 2015
sukkot:
very perfectly stated brother. i couldnt have put it any better. you are right on the money. first off your subconscious is working against you because it knows you are viewed as a second class citizen being a black person, even if your conscious chooses to deny it. not to talk of how they work you like a machine and then give you like 20 bills to pay. its like being stuck in a hamster wheel that you cant get out off. very depressing. then the weather is crazy. the social life is crap. everyone is angry. you dont know your next door neighbor. you are trapped in a cold soulless existence cheesy

So very true, but lots of people don't understand how it feels. I thought I was the only one who felt this, the system in the West just feels "restrictive" in ways I can't even explain. If naija was better I have no doubt a number of people will be back ASAP.

OP, many people have given great advice, please look before you leap, it's so key to make a huge decision like this prayerfully. All the best whichever decision you make.

1 Like

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by adonai36: 5:05pm On Feb 28, 2015
Dear Op,

I will advise that you both relocate to Canada. I and my spouse was once in your shoe two years ago. We both work as a banker in Nigeria, before relocating to Canada. While my spouse was the student, I was her dependent. The immigration law in Canada favours married couples, as any of you can apply for Permanent Residence once you are here, under different immigrration stream.
Fast forward, to God alone be the glory, we got our permanent residences within nine months of getting to canada, even while my spouse is still in school.
Pleases go for it, if you need more help, please post your questions and I will be more than happy to help. Howvere bear in mind the time difference (we are 8 hrs behind nigeria time) so my reply may not be fast, but I will reply!

Shalom

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by EMEzzy(m): 5:11pm On Feb 28, 2015
Bwaal:
dah post funny die
But na true na grin
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 5:12pm On Feb 28, 2015
adonai36:
Dear Op,

I will advise that you both relocate to Canada. I and my spouse was once in your shoe two years ago. We both work as a banker in Nigeria, before relocating to Canada. While my spouse was the student, I was her dependent. The immigration law in Canada favours married couples, as any of you can apply for Permanent Residence once you are here, under different immigrration stream.
Fast forward, to God alone be the glory, we got our permanent residences within nine months of getting to canada, even while my spouse is still in school.
Pleases go for it, if you need more help, please post your questions and I will be more than happy to help. Howvere bear in mind the time difference (we are 8 hrs behind nigeria time) so my reply may not be fast, but I will reply!

Shalom
wow God bless you. Thank u so much. Uv given me an opened cheque lol. Where do I start from!. Ok, we hope to stay in Newfoundland(after some research hubby is opened abt province) cos of the flexibility of fees, about 600 to 900dollars per semester for Msc in Management. I hope to do this and work while hubby works. We are looking at first quarter next year, so we will save more. ?

1 Like

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by EMEzzy(m): 5:20pm On Feb 28, 2015
sukkot:
awww brother it was so sick, i couldnt believe what i saw. i was in shock for days. that dunk was sick. fist time i ever seen it done successfully. after that dunk i had a man crush on vince carter NO HOMO LOL. tracy macgrady bounced the ball and he caught it and put it between his legs and dunked it. GAME OVER grin grin
lmao crazy stuff,i bet that point was worthy to win any match? You rep toronto raptors brotha? I wish to see an nba game someday,Lakers all day long kobe brynt 3-pointers and all those $hit.

2 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by ccaramel(f): 5:24pm On Feb 28, 2015
adonai36:
Dear Op,

Shalom

refugee claimant? grin not sure how else you can become a PR in 9 months. If not, let us know what program.

4 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by ccaramel(f): 5:28pm On Feb 28, 2015
irridemi:
wow God bless you. Thank u so much. Uv given me an opened cheque lol. Where do I start from!. Ok, we hope to stay in Newfoundland(after some research hubby is opened abt province) cos of the flexibility of fees, about 600 to 900dollars per semester for Msc in Management. I hope to do this and work while hubby works. We are looking at first quarter next year, so we will save more. ?
Are you sure about those fees? Post a link pls.

1 Like

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by afeda: 5:28pm On Feb 28, 2015
Hello my dear sister and i must commend you for been a very good woman who will always want the best for her husband and her home, please ma, my own idea is that after you have gotten suggestions from men like yourself, please do not leave God your creator out of this matter, try as much as possible to get Him involved with all sincerity of your heart, He knows and sees all, both yesterday, today and tomorrow and He will never lead you astray. It is well with your home in Jesus name.Sorry if i am sounding too spiritual for your liking.

1 Like

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 5:29pm On Feb 28, 2015
ccaramel:

refugee claimant? grin not sure how else you can become a PR in 9 months. If not, let us know what program.
Same thing crossed my mind too that how is that possible in 9 months. Maybe he applied from outside the country before relocating.
And if that particular program still exist or not.

1 Like

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by adonai36: 5:37pm On Feb 28, 2015
irridemi:

Humm, Newfoundland is a good place to start. My spouse also schools in Newfoundland when we came here two years ago. Newfoundlander as they are called are good people, the provincial govt is also good as well, infact they even support my spouse with her fee, despite been an international student then!
However, the down side of it is that there is no job in the province. In our case, I have to go to Alberta to get a job, while my spouse remains in Newfoundland schooling. Generally Alberta province has more jobs than any other province in Canada.
Another option is for both of you to be in Alberta, so that your cost can be minimized.
Please bear in mind that Memorial University is competitve, as that is the only university in Newfoundland, so u may want to try other schools too, so as to broaden your chances.

Shalom

2 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 5:39pm On Feb 28, 2015
afeda:
Hello my dear sister and i must commend you for been a very good woman who will always want the best for her husband and her home, please ma, my own idea is that after you have gotten suggestions from men like yourself, please do not leave God your creator out of this matter, try as much as possible to get Him involved with all sincerity of your heart, He knows and sees all, both yesterday, today and tomorrow and He will never lead you astray. It is well with your home in Jesus name.Sorry if i am sounding too spiritual for your liking.
u are not o! Infact that's d ultimate o
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 5:42pm On Feb 28, 2015
adonai36:

Humm, Newfoundland is a good place to start. My spouse also schools in Newfoundland when we came here two years ago. Newfoundlander as they are called are good people, the provincial govt is also good as well, infact they even support my spouse with her fee, despite been an international student then!
However, the down side of it is that there is no job in the province. In our case, I have to go to Alberta to get a job, while my spouse remains in Newfoundland schooling. Generally Alberta province has more jobs than any other province in Canada.
Another option is for both of you to be in Alberta, so that your cost can be minimized.
Please bear in mind that Memorial University is competitve, as that is the only university in Newfoundland, so u may want to try other schools too, so as to broaden your chances.

Shalom
thanks dearie God will bless u real good. Will check up Alberta, just the school fees for newfoundland is so so affordable. Pls do u no of any school!
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 5:44pm On Feb 28, 2015
ccaramel:

Are you sure about those fees? Post a link pls.
google memorial university newfoundland
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by ccaramel(f): 5:44pm On Feb 28, 2015
adonai36:

Shalom
How did you guys get PR in 9 months as an international student? Share now.

2 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by ccaramel(f): 5:51pm On Feb 28, 2015
irridemi:
google memorial university newfoundland
personally I won't advise you to go to Eastern Canada provinces. NB, PEI, NS. Mostly white, not so developed, less job prospect than provinces like ON, AB, BC, MB, QC. 90% of intl student there relocate to get a job after school. Cheaper tuition and in general but is it worth the stress? Plus its much more boring out there. I lived in Charlottetown, PE for a while, it was tough o.
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by EcashPlanet(f): 6:01pm On Feb 28, 2015
irridemi:
Please comments from people who have taken study permit(with their spouse before) to canada, pls share ur experiences please please please.

I'll advice you take your questions to this post

[color=#000099][/color]https://www.nairaland.com/2035081/travelling-canada-part-7

There are a lot of experienced guys that could help you out on your questions.

Wish you luck!

1 Like

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 6:03pm On Feb 28, 2015
EcashPlanet:

I'll advice you take your questions to this post

[color=#000099][/color]https://www.nairaland.com/2035081/travelling-canada-part-7

There are a lot of experienced guys that could help you out on your questions.

Wish you luck!
thank you
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by mbulela: 6:15pm On Feb 28, 2015
irridemi:
I am just scared of going to an unknown place without guarantee of job for me. I hope to work and support him while he is in school. And he hopes to do that if I am the one going to study while he will be working. My fear is just the job part cos my sister in law just finished her PGD and she hasn't gotten a job yet and she wants to take up another course. My hubby suggested satsachekwan because of what he read that the place is cold but fair when it comes to getting jobs and immigration issues
There is no guarantee of job anywhere. Just plan like you are not praying and pray like you your life depends on the prayers. Have a back up plan (it may mean returning home) and give your plan A your best shot.

1 Like

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 6:17pm On Feb 28, 2015
mbulela:

There is no guarantee of job anywhere. Just plan like you are not praying and pray like you your life depends on the prayers. Have a back up plan (it may mean returning home) and give your plan A your best shot.
thank you
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by cbrass(m): 6:21pm On Feb 28, 2015
maternal:

Sleeping around with campus babes then bribing the lecturer after a failed exam is hardly rigorous

Is this what you did during your time undecided
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 6:22pm On Feb 28, 2015
You are very right,they are not friendly at all,for the past 6years in my block of flats in london i dnt know my neighbours that are whites,the only neighbour i know and talk to is mama Femi a fellow Nigerian.very depressing and sad.on the road,street,train,mall everywhere is moody straight faces,they dnt ever smile except their old people.
sukkot:
very perfectly stated brother. i couldnt have put it any better. you are right on the money. first off your subconscious is working against you because it knows you are viewed as a second class citizen being a black person, even if your conscious chooses to deny it. not to talk of how they work you like a machine and then give you like 20 bills to pay. its like being stuck in a hamster wheel that you cant get out off. very depressing. then the weather is crazy. the social life is crap. everyone is angry. you dont know your next door neighbor. you are trapped in a cold soulless existence cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by solomonwis(m): 6:36pm On Feb 28, 2015
uplawal:
You are very right,they are not friendly at all,for the past 6years in my block of flats in london i dnt know my neighbours that are whites,the only neighbour i know and talk to is mama Femi a fellow Nigerian.very depressing and sad.on the road,street,train,mall everywhere is moody straight faces,they dnt ever smile except their old people.

Six (6) whole years in the midst of depressed people? Why not just return to Nigeria to the warm embrace of heart-warming people at home. London is probably not meant for you if you've had it this rough.

6 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 6:44pm On Feb 28, 2015
Not only me,its a societal thing,you dnt ever know your neighbour except they are Nigerians,even the madness have affected the blacks too,they dnt smile or greet eachother when meet,,something like a mental torture society,upon their infractsructures,they are not mentally beautiful.some people will have died in their flat until you start hearing smells that you know something is wrong and they call ambulance,thats why they take to gambling,alcohol and clubbing just to relieve the madness,and their tv series too,huh,few are nice.Anyway,Godwillingly am porting soon to naija,i dnt even mind to stay in a village to enjoy beautiful minds,Africa is da best,forget we dnt have somethings,we shall get there some day.Note! the six years is marriage,been here 11years plus.we dnt know what we have until you lose it,remembering ordinary sun in Africa and spreading your clothes will keep tears rolling down your cheeks.
solomonwis:

Six (6) whole years in the midst of depressed people? Why not just return to Nigeria to the warm embrace of heart-warming people at home. London is probably not meant for you if you've had it this rough.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by adonai36: 6:52pm On Feb 28, 2015
ccaramel:

How did you guys get PR in 9 months as an international student? Share now.

I applied for the federal skilled worker,(using my past work experience) since I have open work permit, been a dependent of a spouse with study permit. That way, my spouse now becomes my dependent when I applied for the skilled worker. And we got our PR within nine months of getting here, all to God's glory!
Here in Canada, any of the spouse can be a main applicant if he or she has more work experience and qualifications than the other spouse.

Shalom

3 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 6:54pm On Feb 28, 2015
Not mearnt for Africans except the ones born here and are part of the moody system already,not dat people have it rough like food,clothing,etc o,but just socially,its a no no,not friendly society,all west,not only london.they all have cold behaviour.@Justwise i lie?
solomonwis:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by ccaramel(f): 6:56pm On Feb 28, 2015
adonai36:

I applied for the federal skilled worker,(using my past work experience) since I have open work permit, been a dependent of a spouse with study permit. That way, my spouse now becomes my dependent when I applied for the skilled worker. And we got our PR within nine months of getting here, all to God's glory!
Here in Canada, any of the spouse can be a main applicant if he or she has more work experience and qualifications than the other spouse.

Shalom
Interesting. I didn't know that was possible. OP this an option to look into. Sounds promising. Apologies that I thot it was asylum.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (16) (Reply)

4 Beautiful Places You Should Visit In Africa In Your Lifetime / Inside Aksaray Underground Market Where Nigerians Buy Food In Turkey / Shocking: Popular Cities That Are Not Capitals Of Their Countries.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.