Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,285 members, 7,818,959 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:58 AM

I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back (68660 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 11 / Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by EMEzzy(m): 8:02am On Feb 28, 2015
sukkot:
you dont get it. life is not about having a roof over your head and a lil car to drive. your spirit has to be nourished and happy too. what you have is called poverty mentality. i didnt go to canada looking for opportunities. i was young and was heavily into the NBA and most especially vince carter when he was with the toronto raptors. i was in toronto during the 2000 slam dunk contest when vince did that crazy dunk. i came for basketball. to be close to the raptors. come to find out after 2 months in the place, it was like hell. the snow on the street was like 10 inches. the cold was brutal. everyone looked miserable. black people there had no glow whatsoever. it was very depressing. i had to escape before i get depressed. i remember the streets though lol. bloor. spauldina, younge, etc etc
Lmao,that must have been sick,i'm into nba also Lakers?
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by ccaramel(f): 8:04am On Feb 28, 2015
sukkot:
you dont get it. life is not about having a roof over your head and a lil car to drive. your spirit has to be nourished and happy too. what you have is called poverty mentality. i didnt go to canada looking for opportunities. i was young and was heavily into the NBA and most especially vince carter when he was with the toronto raptors. i was in toronto during the 2000 slam dunk contest when vince did that crazy dunk. i came for basketball. to be close to the raptors. come to find out after 2 months in the place, it was like hell. the snow on the street was like 10 inches. the cold was brutal. everyone looked miserable. black people there had no glow whatsoever. it was very depressing. i had to escape before i get depressed. i remember the streets though lol. bloor. spauldina, younge, etc etc

Oh wow. That was about the time I moved to Canada too. I remember that slam dunk contest. I used to be a huge fan of the raptors and used to go out to see the games downtown. Ever since Chris Bosh and Carter got traded...I wasn't loyal anymore. My teams are in the states now. I work at Yonge/Bloor area. Busiest intersection ever grin. You should have tried to visit in Summer. Hotter than Naija sometimes. The cold is not that bad common. You just have to dress warm. Boots, gloves, Parka, earmuffs scarf. You get used to it.

1 Like

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 8:06am On Feb 28, 2015
Pamcrest:
Op, I feel u. Ordinarily I encourage married couples to live together in same city so wherever your husband goes, u go. But relocating to another country is very dicey....it's not as rosy as people think, esp in your kind of situation. I'm not very familiar with Canada but if it's similar to d US, I'm afraid if u accompany your husband while he's schooling there, u will not be allowed to work regardless of your qualification. If u both go to school, where will d living expenses come from, since your relocation will eat up everything u have? U didn't specify d type of help his uncle is promising.....but will d promise hold out?
My candid advice would be for u to remain here while your husband goes for his course, n hopefully gets a job afterwards, then u n d baby can go join him when things settle. This ensures u can continue to save money from your salary n u don't need to sell off your properties yet. Talk to your hubby again or get someone he truly respects to also explain things to him. Sometimes decisions taken when under pressure may end up badly. That's my fear for u both. Continue praying about it too. God will show u d right path.
My humble submission
he just said whatever we have, he can add up to make our applications faster. He is a very reliable brother (he even assisted my sis in law too). My father in law was the one that trained him, so he is always ready to help.
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by sukkot: 8:06am On Feb 28, 2015
EMEzzy:
Lmao,that must have been sick,i'm into nba also Lakers?
awww brother it was so sick, i couldnt believe what i saw. i was in shock for days. that dunk was sick. fist time i ever seen it done successfully. after that dunk i had a man crush on vince carter NO HOMO LOL. tracy macgrady bounced the ball and he caught it and put it between his legs and dunked it. GAME OVER grin grin

2 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 8:08am On Feb 28, 2015
peedeeasobie:

I'm sure you didn't read the post...
kindly read it slowly and try to understand before insulting the man.
mayb I overreacted, am sorry but its just d part of "waster" that I didn't like.
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by sukkot: 8:13am On Feb 28, 2015
ccaramel:

Oh wow. That was about the time I moved to Canada too. I remember that slam dunk contest. I used to be a huge fan of the raptors and used to go out to see the games downtown. Ever since Chris Bosh and Carter got traded...I wasn't loyal anymore. My teams are in the states now. I work at Yonge/Bloor area. Busiest intersection ever grin. You should have tried to visit in Summer. Hotter than Naija sometimes. The cold is not that bad common. You just have to dress warm. Boots, gloves, Parka, earmuffs scarf. You get used to it.
lol yeah its just not my kinda place i guess lmao. i just wasnt feeling the vibes too much. oh yeah you guys had a cool team when vince carter and t mac was there. and then they left and its been downhill ever since lol. then you had the bosh era. i remember going to see some nigerian guy i met at some place called etobicoke. man that place was depressing to look at. lots of druggies around and alcoholics

1 Like

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by sukkot: 8:27am On Feb 28, 2015
ccaramel:

little story about this guy. so i was downtown toronto. didnt know too many people there. so i met this naija guy at this record store or so, around bloor and yonge. we got to talking. he gave me his number and address in etobicoke. i went to see him. first of all when i got to the area i was scared. it looked like the hood in america. then i went to his building ( like 30 floors up or so ). got to his apt. man the place was depressing. the guy had turned into an alcoholic in canada out of depression. he start showing me his citizen card and saying he gets free food and alcohol etc etc. man that was what sealed the deal for me. felt very sorry for the dude. in my mind i am thinking, wow so this guy left nigeria for this ? not too long after i left canada. now keep in mind this was 15 years ago so maybe now things are better for black people in the country. but it wasnt back then

2 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by solomonwis(m): 8:27am On Feb 28, 2015
sukkot:

Which country are you presently?

How do you describe how "your spirit being nourished and happy"?, by looking at people's countenance and making a "safe" conclusion?

People make the most of nature, weather inclusive. Do you know anything about the desert called Dubai? Do you know what the weather/temperature reads in that place? DO you know how beautiful the "desert" is now?

To each his/her own!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Pamcrest(f): 8:29am On Feb 28, 2015
irridemi:
he just said whatever we have, he can add up to make our applications faster. He is a very reliable brother (he even assisted my sis in law too). My father in law was the one that trained him, so he is always ready to help.

Ah, so he only wants to help with d application n relocation. Meaning by d time u get to Canada u are on your own. What will u live on there when u both can't work? Will u have enough money after selling off all your properties? And don't forget you have a baby to think about....extra expenses? Pls give this issue a lot of thought....over there, they have laws n they enforce them unlike here in Nigeria. And u shouldn't rely on getting help from our so called brothers n sisters in diaspora....they are usually very unhelpful in d area of finances oh.
Anyway if it's God's will for you, He will make a way. But whatever u guys decide, consider d baby too!
My humble submission
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by lorRhyMeZ: 8:35am On Feb 28, 2015
My dear lady,am not here to dampen ur mood o buh really I don't think u n ur hubby shud just decide to migrate overnight to a country neither of u have been to...the fact dat u are working n getting paid monthly is good enuf reason to stay back in naija...as in bad as e bad,u no go chop dust for naija. Buh u can't say same for d country u both want to migrate to...My candid advice is,since ur husband wants to further his studies n have even gotten admiSsion,Y not he goes alone first,studies n gains first hand experience of d place,while u stay back n continue ur work here in naija? Or better still,since he's a grÁduate,he could take professional courses in line with his field n with his experience look for jobs in naija?

Like is said,am not here to dampen ur mood o..if travelling favours u,why d hell not. No risk is no reward.

1 Like

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by sukkot: 8:38am On Feb 28, 2015
solomonwis:

Which country are you presently?

How do you describe how "your spirit being nourished and happy"?, by looking at people's countenance and making a "safe" conclusion?

People make the most of nature, weather inclusive. Do you know anything about the desert called Dubai? Do you know what the weather/temperature reads in that place? DO you know how beautiful the "desert" is now?

To each his/her own!
i am a very peculiar fellow. i dont lust after material goods and as such will never settle in a place i dont like because of comfort of life. i seek places where my spirit feels at peace. and i will never ever ever step into dubai or the middle-east or anywhere there are many arab types. i dont feel comfortable around arab types or their culture. even if you offer me a million dollars i would not step into the middle-east. i dont make the most of anything. anywhere i am, if i am not happy there - i try my best to get out of the place. thats just who i am. a strange fellow lol grin

3 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by solomonwis(m): 8:42am On Feb 28, 2015
sukkot:
i am a very peculiar fellow. i dont lust after material goods and as such will never settle in a place i dont like because of comfort of life. i seek places where my spirit feels at peace. and i will never ever ever step into dubai or the middle-east or anywhere there are many arab types. i dont feel comfortable around arab types or their culture. even if you offer me a million dollars i would not step into the middle-east. i dont make the most of anything. anywhere i am, if i am not happy there - i try my best to get out of the place. thats just who i am. a strange fellow lol grin

Which Country are you presently?
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by sukkot: 8:44am On Feb 28, 2015
solomonwis:

Which Country are you presently?
somewhere called utopia. in the middle of nowhere. away from the maddening crowd grin

2 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by ccaramel(f): 8:46am On Feb 28, 2015
sukkot:
little story about this guy. so i was downtown toronto. didnt know too many people there. so i met this naija guy at this record store or so, around bloor and yonge. we got to talking. he gave me his number and address in etobicoke. i went to see him. first of all when i got to the area i was scared. it looked like the hood in america. then i went to his building ( like 30 floors up or so ). got to his apt. man the place was depressing. the guy had turned into an alcoholic in canada out of depression. he start showing me his citizen card and saying he gets free food and alcohol etc etc. man that was what sealed the deal for me. felt very sorry for the dude. in my mind i am thinking, wow so this guy left nigeria for this ? not too long after i left canada. now keep in mind this was 15 years ago so maybe now things are better for black people in the country. but it wasnt back then
You let that one ordeal scare you away from Canada? Those are the Jane/Finch crew I was warning to stay away from. They will only tell you how bad the country is but they take no major step to make life better for themselves. They live in the ghetto areas with the Jamaicans. They feel inferior to the whites for whatever reason.
There have been blacks in Canada since the time of slavery in America. When slaves were freed, they moved in droves to Canada(Nova Scotia) for a better life. Nigerians have lived here as far back as the 60s. I have many friends that were born here and never been to Nigeria. They are all doing well. You cant get to any university in Canada without meeting a Nigerian professor, doctors are uncountable in Toronto alone and tons of nurses and white collar workers. I meet professional Nigerians everyday in my line of work and my church. The problem is that when majority of Nigerians arrive here, they settle for menial jobs like PSW, factory worker, labourer and what not. Those jobs are only supposed to be short term.But because they get terrible advice from whoever they are staying with or helped them to come Canada, they stay doing the dirty jobs instead of going back to school. Immigrants outnumber the whites in Toronto. Filled with blacks, Indians, Chinese, Filipino, Spanish. Canada is an immigrant country. At a point, it was very easy to get papers but a bit stricter now.

2 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by sukkot: 8:49am On Feb 28, 2015
ccaramel:

You let that one ordeal scare you away from Canada? Those are the Jane/Finch crew I was warning to stay away from. They will only tell you how bad the country is but they take no major step to make life better for themselves. They live in the ghetto areas with the Jamaicans. They feel inferior to the whites for whatever reason.
There have been blacks in Canada since the time of slavery in America. When slaves were freed, they moved in droves to Canada(Nova Scotia) for a better life. Nigerians have lived here as far back as the 60s. I have many friends that were born here and never been to Nigeria. They are all doing well. You cant get to any university in Canada without meeting a professor, doctors are uncountable in Toronto alone and tons of nurses and white collar workers. I meet professional Nigerians everyday in my line of work and my church. The problem is that when majority of Nigerians arrive here, they settle for menial jobs like PSW, factory worker, labourer and what not. Those jobs are only supposed to be short term.But because they get terrible advice from whoever they are staying with or helped them to come Canada, they stay doing the dirty jobs. Immigrants outnumber the whites in Toronto. Filled with blacks, Indians, Chinese, Filipino, Spanish. Canada is an immigrant country. At a point, it was very easy to get papers but a bit stricter now.
oh no it was more than that. that was just a lil episode. and yes i am very familiar with africville in nova scotia the home of runaway slaves. but like i said earlier i just didnt like the vibes of the place. the vibes did not resonate with me keep in mind i was living in the york area which is kinda middle class - upper middle
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Bwaal(m): 8:55am On Feb 28, 2015
EMEzzy:
bros why evils na grin
dah post funny die
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by solomonwis(m): 8:56am On Feb 28, 2015
sukkot:
somewhere called utopia. in the middle of nowhere. away from the maddening crowd grin

It is obvious you are living in your imaginary paradise where Eldorado is your food.

I hope the OP reads comments and can tell the difference between people who advise genuinely and people who would rather put tongue in their cheek and speak the "gospel truth" according to their euphemiral doctrine.

To each his own!

2 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by ccaramel(f): 8:58am On Feb 28, 2015
sukkot:
oh no it was more than that. that was just a lil episode. and yes i am very familiar with africville in nova scotia the home of runaway slaves. but like i said earlier i just didnt like the vibes of the place. the vibes did not resonate with me keep in mind i was living in the york area which is kinda middle class - upper middle
I live in North York. Mostly middle-class area. Easy commute downtown by train.
I'd really like to know where you live now grin England? With your narrow streets and crazy levies and taxes? You really think it's better than Canada?
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by OLUJOSHINS(m): 9:00am On Feb 28, 2015
irridemi:
in as much as I appreciate ur comment, you should also watch what u say. I never told u my husband was doing an online business, he has an office, a company and he is a broker and not a gambler. If u read my post carefully, I said he wants to further his studies, ( is that sitting on a computer), and I never said I make him go out to work. My husband is a very hardworking man, and there are a lot of companies that have been affected by the exchange rates even the banks. And please there is nothing like sweet promises, he has never failed in his responsibilities, am I here to seek opinion about relocating and not whether my husband is a waster or not. Please watch ur words!!!

U are a very supportive & wise woman may the good Lord bless U with more wisdom.

Please ignore people like the shallow minded pessimist trying to (bad mouth) Ur hubbys business.

I know nothing about. these countries so I don't think I'm in the right position to dish out advice on it.

sorry for the digression I'm about to make but pls I would like to learn about bonds & securities investment in Naija. I tried getting the names of organizations that teach about it on Google but I keep getting gibberish results.

Please name any institution that teach about them in Naija.

I will try & Google their state location If I can get the name.

1 Like

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Setaje(f): 9:02am On Feb 28, 2015
sukkot:

Welcome back

1 Like

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by sukkot: 9:03am On Feb 28, 2015
solomonwis:

It is obvious you are living in your imaginary paradise where Eldorado is your food.

I hope the OP reads comments and can tell the difference between people who advise genuinely and people who would rather put tongue in their cheek and speak the "gospel truth" according to their euphemiral doctrine.

To each his own!
brother, you and i know that if you poll 10,000 nigerians in canada and give them this option. you can either remain in canada or you can pack your bags tomorrow and return to nigeria and when you get to nigeria we will have 2 houses signed over to you as your property. the 2 houses are a gift to you for returning home. one of the houses you live in with your family and the other you use for rent to feed yourself. you and i know all 10,000 nigerians in canada will be on the next flight smoking out of canada back to nigeria. you and i know this if we are going to be truthful with ourselves. now this woman and her husband have properties and they are trying to sell it to go to canada . does that make sense to you ? lmao. really ?

5 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by sukkot: 9:04am On Feb 28, 2015
Setaje:

Welcome back
hey hun how are ya ? lmao. i kinda dipped out for a lil bit. being getting into some celestial enlightenement lately lol. how are ya ? wink
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Setaje(f): 9:08am On Feb 28, 2015
sukkot:
hey hun how are ya ? lmao. i kinda dipped out for a lil bit. being getting into some celestial enlightenement lately lol. how are ya ? wink

Am coo. Missed u a bit. I hope u will share some of those new celestial enlightenment. Can't wait.
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by sukkot: 9:12am On Feb 28, 2015
Setaje:

Am coo. Missed u a bit. I hope u will share some of those new celestial enlightenment. Can't wait.
oh yes i will share them. awwww missed you too. i still aint come yet. am thinking it will be april.
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Setaje(f): 9:23am On Feb 28, 2015
sukkot:
oh yes i will share them. awwww missed you too. i still aint come yet. am thinking it will be april.

Really, was about to ask if u were here. I even thought u have moved that's why u weren't regular here again. Thought u were tryna settle in. Ok. Can't wait for u to come o...... dont shift the date again o angry
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Holadpearl(m): 9:23am On Feb 28, 2015
please op, pray before making any lifechanging decision, contact ur pastor if need be.but humanly speaking @palmcrest nd @lorRhymez have given u d best advice any certified counsellor will give u,I do Hope u heed to it,all da best,u ll need it.

[quote author=lorRhyMeZ post=31160088]My dear lady,am not here to dampen ur mood o buh really I don't think u n ur hubby shud just decide to migrate overnight to a country neither of u have been to...the fact dat u are working n getting paid monthly is good enuf reason to stay back in naija...as in bad as e bad,u no go chop dust for naija. Buh u can't say same for d country u both want to migrate to...My candid advice is,since ur husband wants to further his studies n have even gotten admiSsion,Y not he goes alone first,studies n gains first hand experience of d place,while u stay back n continue ur work here in naija? Or better still,since he's a grÁduate,he could take professional courses in line with his field n with his experience look for jobs in naija?
Like is said,am not here to dampen ur mood o..if travelling favours u,why d hell not. No risk is no reward.
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by RaptorX: 9:26am On Feb 28, 2015
sukkot:
brother, you and i know that if you poll 10,000 nigerians in canada and give them this option. you can either remain in canada or you can pack your bags tomorrow and return to nigeria and when you get to nigeria we will have 2 houses signed over to you as your property. the 2 houses are a gift to you for returning home. one of the houses you live in with your family and the other you use for rent to feed yourself. you and i know all 10,000 nigerians in canada will be on the next flight smoking out of canada back to nigeria. you and i know this if we are going to be truthful with ourselves. now this woman and her husband have properties and they are trying to sell it to go to canada . does that make sense to you ? lmao. really ?
I don't think most home based Nigerians really know how depressing living in these western countries can be. Just like you said a lot of our people suffer from a poverty mentality, the freedom and peace of mind in your spirit that you get in Africa is priceless, no material comfort will make me go freeze my butt off in -32 degree weather, not me.

4 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by sukkot: 9:27am On Feb 28, 2015
Setaje:

Really, was about to ask if u were here. I even thought u have moved that's why u weren't regular here again. Thought u were tryna settle in. Ok. Can't wait for u to come o...... dont shift the date again o angry
haha its definitely april. definitely. its all spiritual na. even naija shift election. its all spiritual. all roads lead to africa this year. everything is being pushed so that the explosion of world events will happen at the same time. 2015 is going to be one helluva year. the volcano is rumbling. getting ready to erupt. and my destiny is tied in with this volcano. this why like naija elections, my exploits moved too wink cheesy

2 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by solomonwis(m): 9:32am On Feb 28, 2015
sukkot:

Nigerian mentality!

Let me school you a bit in economics.

There are parameters with which wealth(or if you will, being rich) is measured. It is not measured by the number of houses you have, not by the quantum of physical resources at your disposal. It is measured by the level access to welfare, it is called welfarism economics. It looks at the aggregate/macro rather than micro economy.

You can't say you are better of when more than 10,000 are worse off. A typical Nigerian thinks he's better when he has more money in his account or more physical resources at his disposal than his 10,000 neighbors.

Many of us Nigerians (especially the political class and some so called business men) are so selfish that we care less about our next door neighbor.We steal to stupor. We steal our own money, steal our neigbor's, steal our future generations money and brandish the best that money can buy to oppress neigbors - By so doing, we destroy institutions that should promote welfarism and the attendant adverse effects, we are all living witnesses in Nigeria.

Now that is what you rarely find in most advanced countries (I have since stopped referring to them as developed countries). That is the attraction to most advanced countries. Welfarism is at the heart of their policies and programs. It is not out of place therefore to get attracted by such policies hence the OP wanted something much more than physical resources. I see a number of people are so alarmed at wanting to throw away physical resources for "peanuts" offered by the welfare programs in advanced countries. We are so delusional (apologies for the word) that we rarely see an egalitarian society as what the norm should be. We promote wealth (not welfarism), not minding the source.

I would rather ask the OP to take calculated risk (because it is worth taking) rather than discredit societies that are better off than ours in terms of policies. Many of us would not have been attracted to things(by this, I mean welfare policies outside Nigeria) if we have these at home. Remember, home is where you are at peace with yourself. You can be at home in the midst of war, after all to each his own! If you are uncomfortable with Nigeria being "home" to you, please redefine, your "home", find a perfect match and make the move, calculating your risks along the way! A life without risk is not worth living!

I ask @sukkot again, where in the world are you and what do you do presently and I'd tell you that for you to discredit advanced countries on the basis of it being too "cold", too "hot", "windy" or whatever nomenclature you choose employ to discredit better societies, it shows you are painting an unreal picture. If you are not in Nigeria (as some of your posts seems to suggest),I ask wherein lie your patriotism,fairness and objectivity in the subject matter?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by sukkot: 9:33am On Feb 28, 2015
RaptorX:
I don't think most home based Nigerians really know how depressing living in these western countries can be. Just like you said a lot of our people suffer from a poverty mentality, the freedom and peace of mind in your spirit that you get in Africa is priceless, no material comfort will make me go freeze my butt off in -32 degree weather, not me.
very perfectly stated brother. i couldnt have put it any better. you are right on the money. first off your subconscious is working against you because it knows you are viewed as a second class citizen being a black person, even if your conscious chooses to deny it. not to talk of how they work you like a machine and then give you like 20 bills to pay. its like being stuck in a hamster wheel that you cant get out off. very depressing. then the weather is crazy. the social life is crap. everyone is angry. you dont know your next door neighbor. you are trapped in a cold soulless existence cheesy

2 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by sukkot: 9:41am On Feb 28, 2015
solomonwis:

Nigerian mentality!

Let me school you a bit in economics.

There are parameters with which wealth(or if you will, being rich) is measured. It is not measured by the number of houses you have, not by the quantum of physical resources at your disposal. It is measured by the level access to welfare, it is called welfarism economics. It looks at the aggregate/macro rather than micro economy.

You can't say you are better of when more than 10,000 are worse off. A typical Nigerian thinks he's better when he has more money in his account or more physical resources at his disposal than his 10,000 neighbors.

Many of us Nigerians (especially the political class and some so called business men) are so selfish that we care less about our next door neighbor.We steal to stupor. We steal our own money, steal our neigbor's, steal our future generations money and brandish the best that money can buy to oppress neigbors - By so doing, we destroy institutions that should promote welfarism and the attendant adverse effects, we are all living witnesses in Nigeria.

Now that is what you rarely find in most advanced countries (I have since stopped referring to them as developed countries). That is the attraction to most advanced countries. Welfarism is at the heart of their policies and programs. It is not out of place therefore to get attracted by such policies hence the OP wanted something much more than physical resources. I see a number of people are so alarmed at wanting to throw away physical resources for "peanuts" offered by the welfare programs in advanced countries. We are so delusional (apologies for the word) that we rarely see an egalitarian society as what the norm should be. We promote wealth (not welfarism), not minding the source.

I would rather ask the OP to take calculated risk (because it is worth taking) rather than discredit societies that are better off than ours in terms of policies. Many of us would not have been attracted to things(by this, I mean welfare policies outside Nigeria) if we have these at home. Remember, home is where you are at peace with yourself. You can be at home in the midst of war, after all to each his own! If you are uncomfortable with Nigeria being "home" to you, please redefine, your "home", find a perfect match and make the move, calculating your risks along the way! A life without risk is not worth living!

I ask @sukkot again, where in the world are you and what do you do presently and I'd tell you that for you to discredit advanced countries on the basis of it being too "cold", too "hot", "windy" or whatever nomenclature you choose employ to discredit better societies, it shows you are painting an unreal picture. If you are not in Nigeria (as some of your posts seems to suggest),I ask wherein lie your patriotism,fairness and objectivity in the subject matter?
listen man. i am still in the first few lines and i can see your flawed way of thinking already. listen, if you are worried about other people being poor around you, maybe if you lived very modestly and dont flash your wealth in their faces they would not feel so bad about their conditions. the problem is not so much that the poor are extremely poor, the problem is the rich people flaunting their wealth in their faces because no matter the poverty in nigeria, there is always food clothing and shelter ( even if it is face me i face you ) and thats all a man needs in life. food clothing and shelter. so you not wanting to return home because of other peoples conditions is no excuse. just make sure when you come you live very modestly. drive a small golf car instead of a benzo or bmw. the problem with nigerians is their ostentatious tendencies. this is what causes the discomfort in society at large

4 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by solomonwis(m): 9:50am On Feb 28, 2015
sukkot:
listen man. i am still in the first few lines and i can see your flawed way of thinking already. listen, if you are worried about other people being poor around you, maybe if you lived very modestly and dont flash your wealth in their faces they would not feel so bad about their conditions. the problem is not so much that the poor are extremely poor, the problem is the rich people flaunting their wealth in their faces because no matter the poverty in nigeria, there is always food clothing and shelter ( even if it is face me i face you ) and thats all a man needs in life. food clothing and shelter. so you not wanting to return home because of other peoples conditions is no excuse. just make sure when you come you live very modestly. drive a small golf car instead of a benzo or bmw. the problem with nigerians is their ostentatious tendencies. this is what causes the discomfort in society at large

Quoting from the above:

i can see your flawed way of thinking already

1. ( even if it is face me i face you ) and thats all a man needs in life. food clothing and shelter

2. drive a small golf car instead of a benzo or bmw. the problem with nigerians is their ostentatious tendencies. this is what causes the discomfort in society at large.

3.the problem is the rich people flaunting their wealth in their faces because no matter the poverty in nigeria, there is always food clothing and shelter

Bro,you've lost touch with the reality at home,please come back home grin grin grin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

4 Beautiful Places You Should Visit In Africa In Your Lifetime / Inside Aksaray Underground Market Where Nigerians Buy Food In Turkey / Shocking: Popular Cities That Are Not Capitals Of Their Countries.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 173
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.