Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,710 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:31 PM

I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back (68645 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 11 / Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by managingpartner(f): 9:45pm On Feb 27, 2015
@ Emezzy, please throw more light on your course. Thank you
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 9:45pm On Feb 27, 2015
Following.... cool
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by sethbanks(m): 9:48pm On Feb 27, 2015
Canada is my dream Country,i intend studying for my Masters there.From what i've heard from my cousin and friends who reside in Canada, Alberta has good job opportunities for people.

1 Like

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by lighternote: 9:48pm On Feb 27, 2015
Hmmmmm!!! It is only a child that will tell you to quit ur job and run to Canada to face uncertainties. The ensuing tension and depression may crack ur relationship if care isn't taken. Pls, pls, my advice;
1. Let him go over to Canada for further studies while u stay back and face ur job. I know you will miss him but stay put with ur pregnancy and ur job, it is all for a while.
2. Let him make plans for inviting you over during your maternity leave (if possible take ur leave early enough before u look too bloated) so that u can ve ur baby over there and gain citizenship.
3. Come back to Nigeria joor and nurse ur baby and go back to ur God given job.
4. while doing all these, you allow him time to find his feet, settle accommodation and other provisions before you join him kpatakpata!
It isn't easy at all abroad especially ab initio.
It would ve bn easier if there's no forthcoming baby. As it is now, going to Canada without enough money and good job waiting while losing ur naija job is tantamount to small suicide. Take calculated risks. There is no midas touch anywhere, it takes a while to permeate the system.[color=#990000][/color]

14 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 9:50pm On Feb 27, 2015
How feasible is landing the dream job in canada ? Have you done proper research ? anyways its a risk , but it marvels me how people are too fast to conclude things can never work for them in Nigeria. Pls do a detailed calculation of this risk.
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by 100Cents: 9:51pm On Feb 27, 2015
irridemi:
Hello Nairalanders, Please I need ur advise. Am currently 2months pregnant, and My husband is thinking of us relocating to Canada. I currently work in the bank while my husband is into Forex and Securities Trading Business. We were doing averagely okay until last year when business started shaking, my husband has lost a lot and now he is thinking of us relocating to Canada to start afresh. If I resign and we sell our properties, and the little savings we have should be enough to sponsor him for a Postgraduate Course (2years), while I follow him as his wife ( then I get a job), he wants this option cos am a professional and I have good work experience. Option 2 is for me to do a post graduate course and he accompanies me (mayb I will get a good job fast cos of my qualifications). if I wait till we have our baby, the expenses will be much(I.e the financial requirement for the visa). My hubby's uncle is ready to assist us, but my husband doesn't want to take the risk of investing in business again. He has Sasacheskwan or Toronto in mind. I will really appreciate advise thanks

In what area does your Hubby's uncle want to assist you ? Business wise or travel wise ?

Business is not biscuit o. We are in it. You don't succeed the first time.

1 Like

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by kamkechi(f): 9:52pm On Feb 27, 2015
Pls don't think twice again, relocate, God's Grace.
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by fxjohn2: 9:52pm On Feb 27, 2015
Hold on to your bank job, becos you need that job as security since you are expecting a child. Let you husband go and try to settle down first in Canada then you can join him when he secures a job. At least one of you must have steady income to sustain you family.

2 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by wiseguy(m): 9:54pm On Feb 27, 2015
My advice: Let your hubby go test the waters first. Both of you can't put all your eggs in one basket. I know the problem here. You two are newly married and expecting and bodi dey do una paulina paulina. But make una gbaa break. Have some reality check. It takes time to relocate to Canada legally. Let your husband first apply for permanent residency under the Federal Skilled Workers Program (FSWP). Once that is granted, it also qualifies his family (wife and kids) automatic entry to canada. Another advantage of FSWP is that it places your name in the Canadian job bank such that if you are lucky you might get a prospective employer even before you migrate. I advice you to do more research but whatever is the case both of you should never go at once.

3 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by linusbnn(m): 9:54pm On Feb 27, 2015
steppin:

Were you expecting everybody to be nice? You wanted opinions and he gave you his.
If you don't like a comment or suggestion, simply ignore it and move on. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Btw, why would you open a thread asking for input, when it's obvious you've made up your mind?
You can stay back while your hardworking husband marries an Oyibo or Akata for there.
E go clear for ur eye by then.

Yur parents no caution you on good morals? Na force to comment ba?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Demainman1: 9:56pm On Feb 27, 2015
The type of amount that it's being bandied about here can make me leave this abroad for good I swear. grin

What happens after paying all that money and still no good jobs to be got?
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by sooperrescue(m): 9:57pm On Feb 27, 2015
There was a successful bank manager with a large house in Lekki owned by him who was doing very well in Nigeria. He was advised by his wife that they should relocate to Canada and live bigger. He foolishly heeded the advice, sold all his properties and his big house and moved on to Canada. They returned back four years later having lost everything and the marriage crashed. Canada has done a lot of havoc to Nigerians and instead of coming back they stay put tolerating the inhuman lifestyles that they are forced to inculcate and then they will be dreaming of when they will return back to Nigeria. Later, out of frustration, they will now talk evil about Nigeria claiming that Nigerians are suffering, no light, no good roads. In the end, there is regret and regret has no cure, it is worse than HIV and Ebola and in the end, like the Bible said, then desire will fail and man goes to its long home and as the preacher stated, Vanity upon vanity. Madam, Stay back and let your husband find something else to do. If he is hardworking and business is low, it is because he has not realised that the Brook cherith has dried up and that he need to do something else. For that, he should think deeply about what he is very good at that he often times overlooked. Like the woman, who was asked in the Bible, what do you have in the house? I HAVE NOTHING except a jar of ............

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by knxpin(m): 10:00pm On Feb 27, 2015
my little piece of advice is for you to plan the travel so as not to get stuck on the way.
Don't have the euphoria of travelling to Canada and move without plans.
I will ask you to stay back in Nigeria and let your husband go first,secure accommodation,
get a small job and maybe finish his post graduate before you joining him.I have seen
situations when things go wrong with the so called helpers and the couple from naija turns homeless
in united states before.so since you have a good job,let him go so that you too canhelp to sponsor him
as little as you can from naija till he get himself together and you and the baby can join latter.
Life is not easy in Canada as people thought so be warned!!
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by kcsider: 10:01pm On Feb 27, 2015
Are you migrating on PR visa or student's visa? If on PR visa, u may qualify for some pay from govt when u give birth. No govt pay for u on student visa and u will be required to leave on completion. What type of qualifications do you have? ACCA or ICAN ACA? If ICAN ACA, get ready to go back to school because Canada does not recognize ICAN. Do u have HND of Bsc? Also get ready to go back to school.

If u have a good job in Nigeria, I will advise you stay back. Chances are that you can make it in Nigeria more than in Canada.

3 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by 100Cents: 10:01pm On Feb 27, 2015
irridemi:
God bless you. Thanks and Amen. He's such a hardworking Man, and business isnot smiling, and I don't want to just discourage his ideas. Please people help out, and God bless u as u do,

You said you are experienced. Guess you are on good salary as bank core staff ? Its good to stand by your husband but he should consider the fact that your pay can keep you two going for the mean time. There is always a time when people want out. Taking rash and hasty decisions can undermine their chances or destroy what they already have. You have already created value in your career, and relocating will reduce that value. What other things can your husband do if he were to stay back in Nigeria ? What is his qualification and area of study ?

Half bread is still better than none. If he wants to study, will you too study ? What if you don't get a bank job in Canada, can you make do with ordinary jobs in cafes or you know those sort of jobs ?

1 Like

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by 36STATES: 10:02pm On Feb 27, 2015
I stayed in downtown Vancouver BC for two yrs before going back to UK. I have visited all major cities in BC, and Albata. Canada is a very beautiful country where everything works, like most western world countries.

Your success will depend on how hardworking you and your husband are? I don't think you need 20,000 canadian before you move. One good thing with oyiboland is that you will eventually find your feet. Just prepare your minds that it's not gonna be easy, and that success shall surely come.

5 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by bigfrancis21: 10:02pm On Feb 27, 2015
First of all, you are doing very well already in Nigeria and you have no reason at all to leave Nigeria. You have a good job + investment properties (buildings) which you own. Investing in business is preferable in Nigeria than in US or Canada (about 90% of start-ups fail in the US), high taxation (at least 35% of your profits) and there are more profit returns on investment in Nigeria than in US/Canada. When you come here, life starts afresh for you. You will discover that your foreign (Nigerian) degrees and experience are totally nothing and they don't count here and you will have to go to school for about the next 2 years (during which you will have to make-do with meagre, low-paying jobs to survive). On average, it will take you about 5 years to stand on your feet in Canada.

After going to school and getting a job, you will live an average life here in Canada, nothing exceptional or more than that. A great part of your salary will go into heavy taxes (imagine earning $5000 a month and $1200 goes to taxes leaving you with $3,800), bills (mortgage, light, water, gas, phone bills e.t.c), leaving you with just enough to survive and nothing extra. You see jobs, you will find them aplenty here but you will not be left with much as most of your money will go into taxes and bills. The average US/Canadian works to pay bills and it is an endless cycle. Several Nigerians are returning home to invest.

To be honest, life in Nigeria is better financially if you have a good job and several investments and you can always visit US/Canada for holidays.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by raayah(f): 10:03pm On Feb 27, 2015

5 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 10:03pm On Feb 27, 2015
irridemi:
I am just scared of going to an unknown place without guarantee of job for me. I hope to work and support him while he is in school. And he hopes to do that if I am the one going to study while he will be working. My fear is just the job part cos my sister in law just finished her PGD and she hasn't gotten a job yet and she wants to take up another course. My hubby suggested satsachekwan because of what he read that the place is cold but fair when it comes to getting jobs and immigration issues
please dont be decieved by what you read , there is nothing like experiencing the situation on ground , perhaps he can visit since your inlaw is there . he can tell it all after this.
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Deepfreezer(m): 10:06pm On Feb 27, 2015
irridemi:
in as much as I appreciate ur comment, you should also watch what u say. I never told u my husband was doing an online business, he has an office, a company and he is a broker and not a gambler. If u read my post carefully, I said he wants to further his studies, ( is that sitting on a computer), and I never said I make him go out to work. My husband is a very hardworking man, and there are a lot of companies that have been affected by the exchange rates even the banks. And please there is nothing like sweet promises, he has never failed in his responsibilities, am I here to seek opinion about relocating and not whether my husband is a waster or not. Please watch ur words!!!
I like this Lady rite there. your husband being a man has taught about moving very before pronouncing it. and There are jobs in Canada as a professional I see no reason why you won't get one by Gods grace.
I wish your family best of luck.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by tete7000(m): 10:06pm On Feb 27, 2015
irridemi:
Hello Nairalanders, Please I need ur advise. Am currently 2months pregnant, and My husband is thinking of us relocating to Canada. I currently work in the bank while my husband is into Forex and Securities Trading Business. We were doing averagely okay until last year when business started shaking, my husband has lost a lot and now he is thinking of us relocating to Canada to start afresh. If I resign and we sell our properties, and the little savings we have should be enough to sponsor him for a Postgraduate Course (2years), while I follow him as his wife ( then I get a job), he wants this option cos am a professional and I have good work experience. Option 2 is for me to do a post graduate course and he accompanies me (mayb I will get a good job fast cos of my qualifications). if I wait till we have our baby, the expenses will be much(I.e the financial requirement for the visa). My hubby's uncle is ready to assist us, but my husband doesn't want to take the risk of investing in business again. He has Sasacheskwan or Toronto in mind. I will really appreciate advise thanks

Do you believe in God? Do you know how to pray? If your answer to these questions are yes. My advice will be put it in pray, spend some quiet time with God, pray He leads you. At times like this Nairaland is not your best bet. God is. Only Him can lead you right.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Deepfreezer(m): 10:07pm On Feb 27, 2015
irridemi:
in as much as I appreciate ur comment, you should also watch what u say. I never told u my husband was doing an online business, he has an office, a company and he is a broker and not a gambler. If u read my post carefully, I said he wants to further his studies, ( is that sitting on a computer), and I never said I make him go out to work. My husband is a very hardworking man, and there are a lot of companies that have been affected by the exchange rates even the banks. And please there is nothing like sweet promises, he has never failed in his responsibilities, am I here to seek opinion about relocating and not whether my husband is a waster or not. Please watch ur words!!!
irridemi:
I like this Lady rite there. your husband being a man has taught about moving very before pronouncing it. and There are jobs in Canada as a professional I see no reason why you won't get one by Gods grace.
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by 100Cents: 10:07pm On Feb 27, 2015
irridemi:
I am just scared of going to an unknown place without guarantee of job for me. I hope to work and support him while he is in school. And he hopes to do that if I am the one going to study while he will be working. My fear is just the job part cos my sister in law just finished her PGD and she hasn't gotten a job yet and she wants to take up another course. My hubby suggested satsachekwan because of what he read that the place is cold but fair when it comes to getting jobs and immigration issues

Please do not leave your bank job. Tell him to go over and test the waters first while you keep your job here. Has he even gotten an admission ?

Don't let him rush you into regrets..

4 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Vernor(m): 10:08pm On Feb 27, 2015
Yeah, madam im close to your page, im moving to manitoba, but findings have help shape my decision. I will go alone then send for my family. Its easier that way, u can ask from pple who have been there so as to form your decision Canada is not as easy as painted. pls make right investigation then sit your hubby down or after ur findings make sure your informer meet your hubby so as to change his heart toward it. I should be moving my family too, but with i advise i go first my family later. Thks
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by kcsider: 10:11pm On Feb 27, 2015
bigfrancis21:
First of all, you are doing very well already in Nigeria and you have no reason at all to leave Nigeria. You have a good job + investment properties (buildings) which you own. Investing in business is preferable in Nigeria than in US or Canada (about 90% of start-ups fail in the US), high taxation (at least 35% of your profits) and there are more profit returns on investment in Nigeria than in US/Canada. When you come here, life starts afresh for you. You will discover that your foreign (Nigerian) degrees and experience are totally nothing and they don't count here and you will have to go to school for about the next 2 years (during which you will have to make-do with meagre, low-paying jobs to survive). On average, it will take you about 5 years

After going to school and getting a job, you will live an average life here in Canada, nothing exceptional or more than that. A great part of your salary will go into heavy taxes (imagine earning $5000 a month and $1200 goes to taxes leaving you with $3,800), bills (mortgage, light, water, gas, phone bills e.t.c), leaving you with just enough to survive and nothing extra. You see jobs, you will find them aplenty here but you will not be left with much as most will go into taxes and bills. The average US/Canadian works to pay bills and it is an endless cycle. Several Nigerians are returning home to invest.

To be honest, life in Nigeria is better financially if you have a good job and several investments.
Gbam gbam!!
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 10:15pm On Feb 27, 2015
Dn't even understand the post, the topic better be a edited to who to pursue a Postgraduate course, and who to follow the other.. Pls Ma come straight na.
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Nobody: 10:15pm On Feb 27, 2015
Deepfreezer:
her husband has been self employed . he owns a company known just in their little Niche. except there are transferrable skills , I doubt if he would land the good job in a year . This lady has got about 7 years experience , is it that she has not made contacts to help decide on good business and investment here , however little it may be.

1 Like

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by 100Cents: 10:16pm On Feb 27, 2015
RedCapChief:
Speaking as someone who has actually been to Canada, I can tell you that:

- Canada is a beautiful country. When I travelled, it was so cold but yet everything worked - light, water, roads.
- Canada is an expensive country. If you don't have 20,000 dollars on ice, don't migrate. I'll advise you to take a 'testing the waters' trip first. Tell your relatives to invite you and see what it is like. Another very important factor is accommodation; tacitly ask your relatives if they can accommodate you for six months. You find out that good housing can be bloody expensive, nearly 1800 CAD in some areas of the Greater Toronto Area.
-What happens if the working spouse is not able to make enough money to pay the bills, and the studying spouse is draining the saved up cash?
- An amazing advantage is that any child you give birth to in Canada becomes a Canadian citizen. You will even get some government benefits on top the pikin head.

In all, I really wish you the best as you mull this decision. Get a lot of information, ask a lot of questions and save a lot of money. But, don't jump into the water with both feet!

Experience is costlier than grey hair..

100Cents:

Please do not leave your bank job. Tell him to go over and test the waters first while you keep your job here. Has he even gotten an admission ?
Don't let him rush you into regrets..
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by roselynbas(f): 10:17pm On Feb 27, 2015
I think both of you should pray about it no matter what advise you receive fron this forum
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by offegas(m): 10:18pm On Feb 27, 2015
Ricardoveedgee:
As per his plan to relocate to either Toronto or Saskatchewan, I'll advise he settles in Saskatchewan or better still Calgary, Alberta. Toronto is already choked and in the past few years Canada has witnessed more opportunities for immigrants in the west coast/prairies with some decent number of jobs created recently in the financial sector in Regina & Saskatoon areas. I believe you'll find something while your hubby is studying. Only challenge to working will be having to deal with childcare. Anyway, take a leap of faith, in no time you'll both settle in. Best of luck!
Why not try Memorial University,Newfoundland or University of Northern British Columbia dey quite cheap reasons due to federal grants and Saskatoon(Saskatchewan is good too) all the best
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by phabulous88(m): 10:18pm On Feb 27, 2015
Inasmuch as I support you being with your husband as he plans his sojourn to a foreign land, I want you to know this - before he gets an offer from any of the Canadian universities and he sorts out his medicals and TRV, you will be the proud mother of a bouncing baby boy/girl.

FYI, the application deadline for international students wanting to study in Canada for the Fall entry is between December and February; he can shoot for the Winter entry (January 2016) but I doubt if you would be granted a visa with a baby.

Since you are working and doing well, I'll advise you allow him go while you stay back, secure your job and support him. Hopefully, he'll complete his studies, get a job, his Permanent Residency and file for you.

3 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by InvertedHammer: 10:19pm On Feb 27, 2015
Raise some money and have your husband start a side business.

Or one of you can relocate first to test the environment.
Immigration documents wahala will make getting a job very difficult. In less time, desperation will set in and you regret your life.

Do you think the amount you realize from the sale of your asset will be enough to foot your education bills and living expenses? I don't think so.

All the money you will spend on this trip should be enough to start a thriving business if your husband is industrious. As per forex, he is wasting his money. In broker's lingo, they call it 90:90:90---90% of traders will lose 90% of their funds in the first 90 days. Some people want to live in denial and that's the fact. God forbid he uses an unscrupulous broker that will disappear with traders' fund.

I don't think you are financially stable enough to embark on this journey.
\

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Refuse Covers Parts Of Surulere After Heavy Rain In Lagos (Viewers Discretion) / 4 Beautiful Places You Should Visit In Africa In Your Lifetime / Inside Aksaray Underground Market Where Nigerians Buy Food In Turkey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.