Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,065 members, 7,818,181 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:39 AM

Is It Good To Have Close Friendship With An Unbeliever As A Christian? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Good To Have Close Friendship With An Unbeliever As A Christian? (14717 Views)

I Am Losing My Fear Of Death As An Unbeliever In Christianity. / Christians, How Do You React When An Unbeliever Preaches To You? / When Unbeliever Appears To Be More Blessed Than You Are (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Good To Have Close Friendship With An Unbeliever As A Christian? by huxxain(m): 12:45am On Mar 08, 2015
In Islam we are allowed to be friends, do bussiness, be neighbors & even marry christians so long as their is mutual understandin btw us, ISLAM is PEACE

8 Likes

Re: Is It Good To Have Close Friendship With An Unbeliever As A Christian? by lastpage: 12:46am On Mar 08, 2015
samuelson06:

An Unbeliever is someone who does not believe on our Lord Jesus Christ. Such a person is an enemy.

You are a "Dangerous Fanatic/Terrorist".... the Christian version!

Before l go, The only thing you need to guard against even when with someone who does not share your own religious belief is to ensure that "You do not compromise your CORE BELIEFS".
Thats all.

DO EVERY OTHER THING WITH THEM.....a s long as it does not compromise your own "core beliefs".

Lastpage!

BTW: I a a practising Christian so l know that just because they dont share our belief, does not make them our enemy.

1 Like

Re: Is It Good To Have Close Friendship With An Unbeliever As A Christian? by Cooluche: 12:48am On Mar 08, 2015
Yes we can have friends that are unbelievers of course but when we are talking about close friends (best friends) then we cannot have unbelievers as friends because it means we will be doing those things they do that are against the will of God.

Jesus was friends with sinners and He joined them in eating, discussing, cracking jokes etc but he did not join them in drinking strong drink, tax collecting, lying, immorality etc.

The issue now is that if you pour hot water into a bucket of cold water, sooner or later, all the water would become the same temperature: if the cold water is very cold, the hot water will become cold too and if the hot water is very hot, the cold water will become hot too. When we have unbeliever friends (i.e. Light fellowshing with darkness), it is either we become darkness too or we allow our light to shine and bring them to the light so we need to be strong in the Lord and grow in faith so that we will not fall away and backslide. God help us.
Re: Is It Good To Have Close Friendship With An Unbeliever As A Christian? by 12345DKO(m): 12:50am On Mar 08, 2015
Juliaann:
Yesss you can convert them to Christianity

After all Jesus dined with sinners

Yes JESUS dined and wined with sinners and tax collectors but He was never close with them, He only accepted their invite to show that God loves and cares for them and that God does not condemn nor discriminate.

1 Like

Re: Is It Good To Have Close Friendship With An Unbeliever As A Christian? by Nobody: 12:51am On Mar 08, 2015
The only way to lead them to Christ is to draw them nearer and show them genuine love but one must be careful so as not to backslide...

1 Like

Re: Is It Good To Have Close Friendship With An Unbeliever As A Christian? by Reference(m): 12:53am On Mar 08, 2015
Scripture is very clear. It says: 'Donot be UNEQUALLY YOKED with unbelievers. So go to your dictionary and find out what 'unequal' and a 'yoke' is.

In a layman's terms and in biblical context it simply means, donot share an unequal burden in your relationship with unbelievers. This means anything from peer pressure to business partnerships. God wants you to be the principal, the head honcho, to drive the pace, to give direction, to make decisions, to lead. He simply cannot operate in you if you are subjected, submissive and subjugated to one who has ties with His adversary.

If you must make friends with unbelievers you must be in total control. You cannot be the mule to them. You must be the rider.
Re: Is It Good To Have Close Friendship With An Unbeliever As A Christian? by ifekemmie(f): 12:57am On Mar 08, 2015
U can make friends with dem bt dnt do wat dey do. U behave or altitude can draw dem closer to God
Re: Is It Good To Have Close Friendship With An Unbeliever As A Christian? by 12345DKO(m): 12:57am On Mar 08, 2015
elantraceey:

This exactly is the problem with Christians , Paul clearly stated in the bible that your enemy should be that brother that after knowing and learning the ways of God still do the 'wrong' things , those people should be your enemies .

Please go and study .
Paul did not call brethren who fail to live according to the ways of God our enemies o, what Paul said is that we should quit associating with them- 1Corintians 5 : 10 - 11.
Re: Is It Good To Have Close Friendship With An Unbeliever As A Christian? by sundoj08(m): 12:58am On Mar 08, 2015
How are you supposed to convert em if you're not friends with em.

1 Like

Re: Is It Good To Have Close Friendship With An Unbeliever As A Christian? by elantraceey(f): 1:15am On Mar 08, 2015
12345DKO:

Paul did not call brethren who fail to live according to the ways of God our enemies o, what Paul said is that we should quit associating with them- 1Corintians 5 : 10 - 11.

And what is that?
Re: Is It Good To Have Close Friendship With An Unbeliever As A Christian? by lastpage: 1:17am On Mar 08, 2015
huxxain:
In Islam we are allowed to be friends, do bussiness, be neighbors & even marry christians so long as their is mutual understandin btw us, ISLAM is PEACE

But are you required to behead them at the slightest provocation ...e.g when someone in, say Britain, draws a caricature of the Prophet Muhammad?

*Do you agree with me that TOLERANCE (not acceptance) for others opinion/beliefs is necessary?
*Do you agree that there are certain "commands" in the Bible which are not practical and therefore impossible to be executed in the 21st century and therefore has to be abolished, for a peaceful society?
*Do you also agree that there are so many "commands" in the Quran which are, in the 21st century, very offensive to the human sensibility and therefore impractical and impossible to be executed as commanded, for peaceful co-existence with other people?

Finally, what effort are "good Muslims" putting in-place to ensure that VIOLENCE and INCITEMENT TO VIOLENCE (killing non-adherents/non-believers, beheading and slitting of throats, anger, e.t.c) are discredited as being "requirements of a good Muslim" and that such injunctions does not promote peace and not fit for the current times?

If God is God...as He is only ONE GOD.... that means we both worship the same God but in different ways?
Assuming the above is true.... then my own Christian God preaches forgiveness, when offended, teaches me not to be vengeful, teaches me to respect the lives of others, teaches me that "He is powerful enough to defend Himself, if offended... and l am NOT to KILL ANYONE on His behalf!

Does your own God teach you those same things? If "yes' then we are on the same page

We should all be on the lookout for "adherents" who are fanatical and blood-thirsty, who want to provoke violence and give our religion a bad name. We must educate or stamp-out such people ASAP.

Lastpage!

2 Likes

Re: Is It Good To Have Close Friendship With An Unbeliever As A Christian? by Demmzy15(m): 1:18am On Mar 08, 2015
BiHung:
this OP na mumu o

that is how they start religious war.

In yoruba land, we learn to live as one...

Na Wa for you ibos....i don tire
Abi o bros, I'm a Muslim and I have many Christians living with me! My blood, we love each other. I don't know why people just dey carry this religion issue for head!

1 Like

Re: Is It Good To Have Close Friendship With An Unbeliever As A Christian? by Nobody: 1:23am On Mar 08, 2015
DaZion:
As we are now in this world.Many christians don't even bother to know whether is closest friend is a believer or unbeliever...
Some even choose an unbeliever as their partner and mentor without knowing that they are diverting their spiritual life into an unspiritual life...

Brethren, Is it right/good to have close friendship with an unbeliever as a christian?

Stupid question. tongue
Re: Is It Good To Have Close Friendship With An Unbeliever As A Christian? by haykay33: 1:36am On Mar 08, 2015
Christians : Unbeliever

Muslims: Kufar

The same mentality Different Language, say No to extremesim
Re: Is It Good To Have Close Friendship With An Unbeliever As A Christian? by bongotv(m): 1:39am On Mar 08, 2015
Follow the teaching of the Bible in this regard, thank you.
Re: Is It Good To Have Close Friendship With An Unbeliever As A Christian? by inosend: 1:43am On Mar 08, 2015
The Holy Bible is unequivocal about this: iron sharpens iron i.e ONLY a believer can ENCOURAGE another believer. And there CAN NEVER BE a believer OUTSIDE of Christ.
Re: Is It Good To Have Close Friendship With An Unbeliever As A Christian? by intergral(m): 1:55am On Mar 08, 2015
DaZion:
As we are now in this world.Many christians don't even bother to know whether is closest friend is a believer or unbeliever...
Some even choose an unbeliever as their partner and mentor without knowing that they are diverting their spiritual life into an unspiritual life...

Brethren, Is it right/good to have close friendship with an unbeliever as a christian?
you are a religious extremist, people like you have the same ideology like shekau and that is why they spoil muslim names and that is what you are trying to do to the humble christian name....... Go and learn from we yorubas we live with one heart unlike you igbos that are strong religious extremist and the worst is that you people like going to the north for business... Mtcheew

2 Likes

Re: Is It Good To Have Close Friendship With An Unbeliever As A Christian? by Akon419(m): 2:52am On Mar 08, 2015
huxxain:
but you don't allow Christians to marry your woman .pisss

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Good To Have Close Friendship With An Unbeliever As A Christian? by pedel: 3:00am On Mar 08, 2015
Yes, it is good to have friends with unbelievers; that is the only way you will be able to reach out to them with the gospel.
If you or your ministry takes evangelism and soul winning seriously you must be intentional about having a genuine contacts with people who doesnt believe in Jesus. Also you have to stop calling them unbelievers, instead call them 'yet to be christians'.
Recent studies (personal study) reveals that once someone has become a born again for over two years, they must have severed relationship with all the unsaved people around them. This is terrible. This is not good for the Kingdom.
One thing that is very funny is when we break ties with the so called unbelievers in our lives and we carry our bible on Saturday evening for evangelism; to talk to total strangers.
Evangelism is more effective when christians develop relationship with 'unbelievers', intentionally.
Jesus went to Zacchaeus house, even the jews thought that was wrong.

If you attend a church where they preach that you shouldn't have friendship with non christians then something is wrong with the theology and core values of your church.
Re: Is It Good To Have Close Friendship With An Unbeliever As A Christian? by cold(m): 3:10am On Mar 08, 2015
DaZion:

I know as an Atheist i'm the kinda person you wouldn't want to associate with. Not like i care though but let me teach you something from your bible. Call it your Sunday school lesson....so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”

30 In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him.

Your kind of close mindedness was exactly what i suffered as Christian. I was indoctrinated to believe no other group was good enough. Now i know better

1 Like

Re: Is It Good To Have Close Friendship With An Unbeliever As A Christian? by Ilekeh(f): 3:17am On Mar 08, 2015
Don't know don't care. I tell my Christian friends to keep their religion to themselves or disassociate themselves from me.
Re: Is It Good To Have Close Friendship With An Unbeliever As A Christian? by carlede: 4:04am On Mar 08, 2015
As a christian, should you be asking this question? Abi you think say na because of people like you Jesus come. Abi na ur pastor you wan convert?, abeg jare!!!

1 Like

Re: Is It Good To Have Close Friendship With An Unbeliever As A Christian? by AJOT99(m): 4:19am On Mar 08, 2015
It depends but carefulness is advised.

Re: Is It Good To Have Close Friendship With An Unbeliever As A Christian? by yomi007k(m): 5:04am On Mar 08, 2015
samuelson06:

Lol. Calm down. I want to ask you: can you stay in the same house with any member of the Islamic sect, Boko Haram? See, you crush an enemy. It's either they are with us or they are against us. Either light or darkness. Either friend or foe.
With if d person is indiffernent/ no fanatic. Easy going with his life, no troubles but does not practise any religion. Is such still against u?
Re: Is It Good To Have Close Friendship With An Unbeliever As A Christian? by symbian03(m): 5:10am On Mar 08, 2015
Some unbelievers are more nice and compassionate. Life is hard to understand sometimes and we need someone to lean on.

Some unbelievers believe in law of karma whereas some believers and Christians don't even love one another nor do they practice what is being preached (not all though)

"I'm a Christian"

1 Like

Re: Is It Good To Have Close Friendship With An Unbeliever As A Christian? by tete7000(m): 5:23am On Mar 08, 2015
xreal:

Misinterpretation!
Haven’t you seen a CAN president don running guns?

The interpretation is - Associate only with those who do my WILL.

And who does the will of God except one who believes in him (a believer)? Anyone who claims he believes in God and doesn't do the will of God is not a believer but a pretender. Being Christian means being Christlike. One can't be a true Christian without doing Christ's wish and exhibiting His traits. We are either Christian or we are Charlatans. Even though the world has turned 'Christian' to a title of one who goes to church but its real meaning is one who is like Christ. It wasn't a title early disciples gave themselves but one bestowed on them by the society they lived because of their way of life.

Can you associate only with those who does the will of God only in this world? Christ pray for his disciples and said 'I take them from the world; ... My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one' (John 17:6,15).
As longer as we are in this part of the divide we will need to associate with believers and non-believers alike but in Paul telling us not to be evenly yoke, he warned we can't operate with the standard of the world. If we stick to Godly standard, our best friends and close confidants can't be anything but those like us. This is why Christ said 'If you belong to the world, it will love you as its own' - (John 15:19) - you have you best friend from there. However our continuous existence here implies we will everyday needs to deal with believers and non-believers alike. It is the nature of our dealing with non-believers that will actually determine whether we will make heaven or not. The question on judgement day will be: 'In dealings with the world, do we seek to bring God to it or do we condescend to its standard and becomes like it? Do we inspite of opposition and hostility the world offers us continue to love God and seek to transform the world or do we allowed ourselves be transformed by the world?'
Re: Is It Good To Have Close Friendship With An Unbeliever As A Christian? by Nobody: 5:50am On Mar 08, 2015
Evil communication corrupts good manners. So having an unbeliever as a friend is like saying CBA instead of ABC.
Friendship with the world is enmity with God.
The unbeliever if not ready to accept Jesus Christ will finally convince you that Jesus doesn't exist.
So why continue to associate yourself with such a person?
Re: Is It Good To Have Close Friendship With An Unbeliever As A Christian? by Nobody: 5:53am On Mar 08, 2015
@op dere is nothing really wrong wit dat,becos jesus himsef came for d sinners and d unclean ok take mary magdalene as an example who was a chronic prostitute before jesus met her,bt later became the one of the great ambassador of christ
Re: Is It Good To Have Close Friendship With An Unbeliever As A Christian? by Nobody: 5:57am On Mar 08, 2015
Stop deceiving yourself. A Christian who decides to marry a Muslim is not a Christian. You can't serve two masters at a time, you either choose one Jesus or Mohammed... No real believer of Jesus will ever do such
huxxain:
Re: Is It Good To Have Close Friendship With An Unbeliever As A Christian? by redsun(m): 5:57am On Mar 08, 2015
Light and darkness don't mix. When Christians befriends rational people,they tend to free up from their self imposed bondage. They let go their reluctance to look further.
Re: Is It Good To Have Close Friendship With An Unbeliever As A Christian? by phabulux: 5:59am On Mar 08, 2015
DaZion:

Since you are a believer, I guess you no longer sin. You don't step on ants, you don't kill mosquitoes, you don't tell lies, in fact, you are so righteous that you don't even 'shi-t'.

A believer my mother-effing foot!

My advice to you is to take your 'believing' and shove it up your arse!
Re: Is It Good To Have Close Friendship With An Unbeliever As A Christian? by Xano(m): 6:07am On Mar 08, 2015
elantraceey:

Can you explain and link those words regarding to this context .

freshness2020:

2 Corinthians 6:14-17King James Version (KJV)

14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

always study bible scriptures with different bible translations.

in Message translation:
2 Corinthians 6:14-16
Don't become partners with those who reject God. How can you make a patnership out of right and wrong? That's not patnership; that's war. Is light best friends with dark? Does Christ go strolling with the Devil? Do trust and mistrust hold hands? Who would think of setting up pagan idols in God's holy Temple? But that is exactly what we are, each of us a temple in whom God lives. God himself put it this way: "I'll live in them, move into them; I'll be their God and they'll be my people..."

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Full Text Of President Buhari’s Eid-el-Fitr Message / The Rosicrucian Order And Its Multiple Lies / Private Christian Universities: Faith In Deception?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.