Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,763 members, 7,831,450 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:51 PM

What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? (913 Views)

Instagram Model And Mother Of One Shows Off Her Huge Boobs And Hips Online / Comparative Analysis Between Wives Of Today And Those Of Yesterday / The War Between Wives And Their Mother-in-laws (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by winner01(m): 8:14pm On Mar 08, 2015
Over time, often times, Several Husbands have been put in a tight position to make certain decisions between their mothers and wives...

This could be as a result of the "natural" competition between women or better put "the struggle for the position of the most-preferred"

And as a result of this, a man is made to make decisions on whom he prefers, and any decision made goes down badly either ways.

In 1954, one study revealed that only one in four women
even liked her mother-in-law, and new research shows just
how deep-seated the tension is.

A study of hundreds of families has revealed that nearly
two-thirds of women complain they've suffered long-term
unhappiness and stress because of friction with their
husband's mother.

During the research - conducted over two decades - women
accused their mothers-in-law of showing unreasonably
jealous love towards their sons.
In turn, mothers-in-law complained that they were excluded
from their sons' lives by their wives.

Dr Terri Apter, a psychologist and senior tutor at Newnham
College, Cambridge, carried out the research for her book
What Do You Want From Me?,
She explains: 'The conflict often arises from an assumption
that each is criticising or undermining the other woman. But
this mutual unease may have less to do with actual attitudes
and far more to do with persistent female stereotypes that
few of us manage to shake off completely.

Both the mother and the wife are struggling to achieve the
same position in the family - primary woman. Each tries to
establish or protect their status. Each feels threatened by the other.'

Her conclusion? 'It's a tragedy,' she says. 'This impasse
divides women who should have so much in common, and
who could benefit from each other's friendship. It causes
both sides terrible unhappiness and distress.'

Many daughters-in-law assume that no matter how
modern their mothers-in-law are, they will be judged on
their cooking, cleaning and child-rearing abilities.
At the same time, mothers-in-law often interpret the
decisions of their daughters-in-law to do things differently
from them - whether in relation to childcare, career or
running the home - as a rejection of their own choices.

Daughters-in-law assume that as a fellow woman, their
mother-in-law will be their ally when they disagree with their husband. But inevitably a mother's unconditional love will trump any female bonding.

It's the disappointment felt by both women that 'gives these
relationships their distinctive negative charge',

Add to that a mother's conflicting feelings of pride and loss
as a son marries, a wife's insecurity about balancing work
and home responsibilities, and the tendency of most women to be more sensitive to criticism than men, and you have the perfect formula for years of trouble.
These tensions don't just cause friction within families. They
can put even the best marriages at risk.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't feel its necessary for a man to be put in this "awkward" position, I feel that love between these two women would do far more good than harm. At the same time I don't seem to understand the reason behind the disunity of wives and mother-in-laws or is it a normal or natural as some would call it?.

Share your thoughts!!!.

Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by delishpot: 8:38pm On Mar 08, 2015
Its result of Over bearing mothere or wives. If a mans mom is mean and always putting her daughter inlaw down, you do not expect her to smile and be happy same thing with men too. If your wiges mom sees no good in you will you smile and pretend that all is well if you have to live with her arrogance day in day out?
If the mom isnt living with them full time or if she doesnt have a say in the running of the mans family, I believe many wives will ignore the excess of their MIL abd pretend they did not notice tge womans attitude.
It lies with the man. He should not ignore his wifes point of view and only accept what Mama sugests. When shit hits the fan, its you and the wife that will fight it together. Its the same feeling if a wife does only what her mom tells her to do as it concerns your home. Isnt it annoying too?
Some daughter inlaws are just impossible too. They do not want their MILS to even visit. And when MIL visits, she meet a very hostile wife who either does not notice her presence or one that over monitors what mama does. I do not think any mother can smile and endure such attitude for long too.
Men, marry good wives and make sure your mom likes her. Women, if your bfs mom does not like you, make sure you wont depend on her if you decide to go ahead and marry him or else dont marry him.
Men, mom and wife are two different things. Learn to satisfy both independently. Dont forget your wife has a mom too and she does not bring her directly into your family affairs. Same with men too. Mom and wife should be placed in their possition, do not switch roles grin else you will be thrown in the middle.
Just my own opinion
Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by Ezedon(m): 10:04pm On Mar 08, 2015
same tension between two babes dragging one guy, or when s babe is trying to snatch another persons boyfriend
Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by anisylva(m): 2:53am On Mar 09, 2015
...because it is difficult to hold back after spending 25 years to grow your boy into a man, having to hand him over to a young inexperienced lady, sit back and watch her break him.
Re: What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? by Nobody: 2:59am On Mar 09, 2015
I don't know why,that's why am going for momma taste. grin

(1) (Reply)

..... / Help A Brother / Major Things EVERY Woman Hide From Their Men (VERY IMPORTANT)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.