Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,371 members, 7,853,659 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 09:05 PM

Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? (2831 Views)

Poll: Should parents/pastors be allowed to cancel a wedding involving their adult child?

Yes: 14% (1 vote)
No: 85% (6 votes)
This poll has ended

When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? / Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? / Should Parents UnCloth In Presence Of Their Children? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by tope2000(f): 12:00am On Jan 16, 2009
MrCrackles:

Fuc.k counselling, i decide if i want or not, if i dont, i will gladly take my marriage to the registry and straight to the reception if the pastor becomes fussy!

I see the naija fever is still u huh? tongue
counselling is very good wink
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by Nobody: 12:03am On Jan 16, 2009
~Sauron~:

Says who??

A Pastor is like a shepherd and the members of his church are the sheep.
A HIV+ man/woman coming to marry in that church is the wolf/lioness.
Now do the math!!!!

No need for maths here. If they were really sheperds, why are there situations of wealthy pastors and poverty stricken members? But in marriage they become sheperds.
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by MrCrackles(m): 12:04am On Jan 16, 2009
stillwater:

No need for maths here. If they were really sheperds, why are there situations of wealthy pastors and poverty stricken members? But in marriage they become sheperds.

True sha! grin
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by debosky(m): 12:06am On Jan 16, 2009
Tell it like it is Brash! wink

There's too much control in Naija by external parties. While counselling, wisdom and advice are good - YOU eventually face the problems and should be allowed to make your bed as you see fit. If they insist on babying you now, when will you grow up?

As long as they aren't 18 year old Hot kids trying to get married so they can shag, no one should cancel the wedding. Unless of course there is a legal impediment to the wedding holding.
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by Sauron1: 12:07am On Jan 16, 2009
stillwater:

Because Pastors stick to the scripts. . . . .They fast, pray and watch day and night. They never miss their tithes n offerings.
Meanwhile, the members(Sister Comfort and Brother Joseph) meet up after choir practise for a nice Mouth Gig and some ass-spanking.
Do the math again.(using a calculator this time, your 4-figure table is now obsolete). grin

MrCrackles:

Fuc.k counselling, i decide if i want or not, if i dont, i will gladly take my marriage to the registry and straight to the reception if the pastor becomes fussy!

And the family of the bride will be left out of the equation??
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by Treetop20(m): 12:10am On Jan 16, 2009
~Sauron~:

Because Pastors stick to the scripts. . . . .They fast, pray and watch day and night. They never miss their tithes n offerings.
Meanwhile, the members(Sister Comfort and Brother Joseph) meet up after choir practise for a nice Mouth Gig and some ass-spanking.
Do the math again.(using a calculator this time, your 4-figure table is now obsolete). grin

he he he heeeeeee
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by MrCrackles(m): 12:12am On Jan 16, 2009
tope2000:

I see the naija fever is still u huh? tongue
counselling is very good wink

No naija fever here jare cheesy

I aint disputing counselling is bad, but at the same time, there has to be limitations of what can be imposed on couples looking to get married

The wedding between two people in love cant be manipulated to satisfy some bullshit conditions to be fair

Dem own too much for that country, we need to get real and stand up tall
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by DaPhoenix(f): 12:13am On Jan 16, 2009
I think that that is one decision the parents should allow the kids to make for themselves. They are adults and they have the right to show who they are going to spend the rest of the life with and when. Of course they are exceptions such as the likes of Britney Spears.
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by MrCrackles(m): 12:14am On Jan 16, 2009
~Sauron~:

I am sure they will tag along, afterall they wont want to be left out of the memorable event! grin
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by MrCrackles(m): 12:16am On Jan 16, 2009
debosky:

Tell it like it is Brash! wink

There's too much control in Naija by external parties. While counselling, wisdom and advice are good - YOU eventually face the problems and should be allowed to make your bed as you see fit. If they insist on babying you now, when will you grow up?

As long as they aren't 18 year old Hot kids trying to get married so they can shag, no one should cancel the wedding. Unless of course there is a legal impediment to the wedding holding.

That is the problem

We need to start changing our mindset
!!
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by Nobody: 12:16am On Jan 16, 2009
~Sauron~:

Phuleeaassee!!! Certainly not a good reason. There are poor dedicated members in the church. Infact the poor ones are more dedicated than wealthy ones. That's simple logic, maths' not necessary except you have all of a sudden become some kind of supernatural being that monitors church goers.
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by Sauron1: 12:20am On Jan 16, 2009
MrCrackles:

I am sure they will tag along, afterall they wont want to be left out of the memorable event! grin

And if they don't like you as their son-in-law??

stillwater:

Phuleeaassee!!! Certainly not a good reason. There are poor dedicated members in the church. That's simple logic, maths' not necessary except you have all of a sudden become some kind of supernatural being that monitors church goers.

Not a good reason??

There are poor dedicated members in the church but if they remain steadfast, they will get their blessings in no time.
Never ever put yourself in the same echelon with a Pastor. They are God-ordained.
Their blessings are fast-tracked while God waits on Sister Comfort to stop fellating on every cute brother in the church.
When i was still in Nigeria. . . . .There was this usher who steals from God every sunday. . . .Do u really expect God not to short-change him??
Come on. . . .do some maths.
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by MrCrackles(m): 12:25am On Jan 16, 2009
~Sauron~:

That wont matter as long as the missus loves me to bits! cheesy
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by Nobody: 12:30am On Jan 16, 2009
~Sauron~:

Not a good reason??

There are poor dedicated members in the church but if they remain steadfast, they will get their blessings in no time.
Never ever put yourself in the same echelon with a Pastor. They are God-ordained.
Their blessings are fast-tracked while God waits on Sister Comfort to stop fellating on every cute brother in the church.
When i was still in Nigeria. . . . .There was this usher who steals from God every sunday. . . .Do u really expect God not to short-change him??
Come on. . . .do some maths.

What's with you and sister Comfort? I've already stated my piece. I don't have energy to go on and on, ok? cheesy
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by Sauron1: 12:32am On Jan 16, 2009
stillwater:

What's with you and sister Comfort? I've already stated my piece. I don't have energy to go on and on, ok? cheesy

Okay.
I hope u don't do sister comfy in the church. tongue
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by timmfikk(m): 12:33am On Jan 16, 2009
@ Topic

Well i will need to do some research and know what to say, but i think  the parent will only need to talk to the pastor, they cant try anything on their own to stop the wedding.

@ All you've been saying good words sha.
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by lacrimose(f): 1:47am On Jan 16, 2009
what does this mean exactly

"the grooms mother put an injunction in the union"

Cause that might be the reason why the marriage was cancelled
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by Busybody2(f): 2:19am On Jan 16, 2009
I wouldn't allow my parents or my pastor to cancel my wedding, are they on crack? Am I a kid? Geez, let me go ahead and make a mistake, they are there to support me and pick up the pieces if I fall  angry angry angry

A friend of mine wanted to get married in December in Nigeria, the grooms parents objected on the ground that friends would not be around and that they should change the wedding date to August angry The brides parent on the other hand said they worked all year round and could only be available in December angry

She was always on the phone to me in tears from January till August, till the parents compromised and the wedding was eventually held in New York angry If that was me, I would have gone to Hollywood to get married by Elvis Presley in a shotgun wedding just to spite them angry

Nigerian parents meddle too much IMHO cool
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by earTHMama: 2:21am On Jan 16, 2009
why was it cancelled?

Grooms ma didn't approve the girl for reasons best known to her. She has never liked her.
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by Treetop20(m): 2:22am On Jan 16, 2009
Busy_body:

I wouldn't allow my parents or my pastor to cancel my wedding, are they on crack? Am I a kid? Geez, let me go ahead and make a mistake, they are there to support me and pick up the pieces if I fall  angry angry angry

A friend of mine wanted to get married in December in Nigeria, the grooms parents objected on the ground that friends would not be around and that they should change the wedding date to August angry The brides parent on the other hand said they worked all year round and could only be available in December angry

She was always on the phone to me in tears from January till August, till the parents compromised and the wedding was eventually held in New York angry If that was me, I would have gone to Hollywood to get married by Elvis Presley in a shotgun wedding just to spite them angry

Nigerian parents meddle too much IMHO cool

sounds easy but family pressure is a terrible thing
you never know until you find yourself there
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by osisi2(f): 2:22am On Jan 16, 2009
Is that the only Church in town?
do they have a means of transportation?
The man is obviously not mature enough to handle marriage
That's why his mother could act in this manner and get her way
If I were the bride,I'll leave him if he succumbs to her ways
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by earTHMama: 2:23am On Jan 16, 2009
It's a nice move Christ Embassy cancelled your friend's wedding.
She coulda been walking into a death trap marrying someone she met on Hi5.

You think everybody is you that preys on young women in my space.
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by earTHMama: 2:24am On Jan 16, 2009
Is that the only Church in town?
do they have a means of transportation?

The wedding was stopped by christ embassy Oregun road. And their reason was for the couple to go and settle with their family. Wtf, can't two consenting adults marry? You can't do that in the US as long as both of them are more than 18 years of age.
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by osisi2(f): 2:26am On Jan 16, 2009
The man should grow up
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by earTHMama: 2:29am On Jan 16, 2009
The man should grow up

I don't think it's the man's fault. It's the church's fault because they refused to marry them. I agree that marrying mama's boys like Sauron can be a terrible mistake. Don't even dream about it because their mom controls everything to the point of when and how to sleep with you. tongue
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by Busybody2(f): 2:29am On Jan 16, 2009
Treetop20:

sounds easy but family pressure is a terrible thing
you never know until you find yourself there

I will put my foot down and either tell them there would be no wedding or I would elope. I would not tolerate that type of family pressure, yes they are the ones coughing up the money especially if you are getting married in Naija, but their should be a limit na undecided I have heard too much stories of squabbling parents when it comes to wedding, due to disagreement with location, religion, etc

Things like this shouldn't happen in this generation  undecided
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by Busybody2(f): 2:33am On Jan 16, 2009
earTHMama:

. . . I agree that marrying mama's boys like Sauron can be a terrible mistake. Don't even dream about it because their mom controls everything to the point of when and how to sleep with you. tongue

I agree with this, someone doing that would be making a grave mistake, you will never be good enough for their son and you would have to compete with her, for his affection for the rest of your married lives. Too much hard work.
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by earTHMama: 2:35am On Jan 16, 2009

I will put my foot down and either tell them there would be no wedding or I would elope. I would not tolerate that type of family pressure, yes they are the ones coughing up the money especially if you are getting married in Naija, but their should be a limit na Undecided I have heard too much stories of squabbling parents when it comes to wedding, due to disagreement with location, religion, etc

The wedding in discussion was paid for completely by the groom and not his family yet his mother made sure they spoilt his happiest day in life .
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by Treetop20(m): 2:39am On Jan 16, 2009
Busy_body:

I will put my foot down and either tell them there would be no wedding or I would elope. I would not tolerate that type of family pressure, yes they are the ones coughing up the money especially if you are getting married in Naija, but their should be a limit na undecided I have heard too much stories of squabbling parents when it comes to wedding, due to disagreement with location, religion, etc

Things like this shouldn't happen in this generation  undecided
it is very easy for a woman to do this
much harder for a man
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by earTHMama: 2:39am On Jan 16, 2009
Do the math again.(using a calculator this time, your 4-figure table is now obsolete)

See how you describe childrenn of God from your own perspective. I don't know why Daddy GO hasn't banned you from attending any Redeem church like they did to Pataki?. tongue tongue
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by earTHMama: 2:41am On Jan 16, 2009
Tell it like it is Brash! Wink

Spot on.
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by earTHMama: 2:43am On Jan 16, 2009
Haba. . . . Stillwater, parent have control over their wards lives now. . .
Maybe . . because we dont have kids yet. . . we might not fully understand the parent-kid connection.
In yoruba land. . . there is an adage that say:
"What elders see while sitting. . . .kids cant even see while on a tree top."

Save me that BS. Why didn't they see Nigeria crumbling while seating down? undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Family Section Poster Of The Year 2010; Nomination In Progress / Check Out How Modern Marriages Will Look Like.. So Funny ;d / I'm Confused About My Health After My Last Abortion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.