Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,755 members, 7,831,439 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:42 PM

Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? (2819 Views)

Poll: Should parents/pastors be allowed to cancel a wedding involving their adult child?

Yes: 14% (1 vote)
No: 85% (6 votes)
This poll has ended

When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? / Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? / Should Parents UnCloth In Presence Of Their Children? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by earTHMama: 11:01pm On Jan 15, 2009
Parents especially reserve the right to cancel a wedding between their child and another consenting adult in Nigeria. Is that proper?. A friend of mine had her wedding cancelled by Christ Embassy because the grooms mother put an injunction in the union. Is the church right by putting a halt to that wedding when the both parties involved are ready and willing to get married?
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by Sauron1: 11:09pm On Jan 15, 2009
earTHMama:

Parents especially reserve the right to cancel a wedding between their child and another consenting adult in Nigeria. Is that proper?. A friend of mine had her wedding cancelled by Christ Embassy because the grooms mother put an injunction in the union. Is the church right by putting a halt to that wedding when the both parties involved are ready and willing to get married?

Why not??
Parents and Pastors are doing this to protect these kids who fall in love blindly.
When these babes realise(belatedly) they have married a loser, they depend on the parents for their upkeep and sometimes they depend on the church for provisions and stuffs.
It's a nice move Christ Embassy cancelled your friend's wedding.
She coulda been walking into a death trap marrying someone she met on Hi5. grin
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by KarmaMod(f): 11:13pm On Jan 15, 2009
why was it cancelled?
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by sillyboy(m): 11:14pm On Jan 15, 2009
I believe strongly in parental approval of marriages. . .but not pastorial. Who knows what pastor has got underneath his bed. . .not with all these fake pastors prowling the streets. . . . .

Parents can stop their child's marriage. . .
and if a child doesnt want his/her parent to stop his/her marriage. . .
then he/she should get married in secret without the parents knowledge. . .
Thank God for pastors like that pastor on Jerry Springer's show.
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by Nobody: 11:20pm On Jan 15, 2009
The couple getting married are adults for God's sake, or aren't they? They have no right whatsoever to cancel a wedding, phuleeaassee!!!
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by tope2000(f): 11:21pm On Jan 15, 2009
Parents maybe . . . . but pastor Nah undecided
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by Treetop20(m): 11:22pm On Jan 15, 2009
no hell or high water
will come in between a man who wants to marry you
not parents and who the Zap is the pastor?
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by Sauron1: 11:25pm On Jan 15, 2009
stillwater:

The couple getting married are adults for God's sake, or aren't they? They have no right whatsoever to cancel a wedding, phuleeaassee!!!

When the issue of love comes to the table, adults are worse than kids.

If u mistakenly fall in love with say. . .Tumfulu, and u guys are bent on marrying each other, u want him unchallenged??
Do u expect your parents to just allow you to marry him without proper screening??
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by sillyboy(m): 11:30pm On Jan 15, 2009
stillwater:

Haba. . . . Stillwater, parent have control over their wards lives now. . .
Maybe . . because we dont have kids yet. . . we might not fully understand the parent-kid connection.
In yoruba land. . . there is an adage that say:
"What elders see while sitting. . . .kids cant even see while on a tree top."
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by Nobody: 11:31pm On Jan 15, 2009
I don't trust nigerian pastors so, nah.

My mom must have a good reason to say no. So, I'll sit and listen to the reason.My conclusion and decision after that determines if I still want to marry him.
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by Nobody: 11:34pm On Jan 15, 2009
~Sauron~:

When the issue of love comes to the table, adults are worse than kids.

If u mistakenly fall in love with say. . .Tumfulu, and u guys are bent on marrying each other.
Do u expect your parents to just allow you to marry him without proper screening??

You''re something cheesy.  But sorry some of us use our heads when it comes to love. Tumfulu and I can never ever, I repeat never ever have a conversation let alone mistakenly marry.
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by Treetop20(m): 11:34pm On Jan 15, 2009
sillyboy:

Maybe . . because we dont have kids yet. . . we might not fully understand the parent-kid connection.
while i believe in this, there has to be boundaries
not when they say do not marry her because she's from this tribe or
her family is like this etc. now that is not seeing things from
a tree top
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by Sauron1: 11:37pm On Jan 15, 2009
stillwater:

You''re something cheesy.  But sorry some of us use our heads when it comes to love. Tumfulu and I can never ever, I repeat never ever have a conversation let alone mistakenly marry.

What if he makes a voodoo doll of you. . . . .Jazz u up(love portion or voodoo science).
As in, you are not conscious of what you are doing cos you are under his SPELL.
Do u expect your parents to just allow a vagrant to walk the aisle with you??
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by amebono14: 11:39pm On Jan 15, 2009
@topic

parents have a right to,just keep pushing,they might change their mind

in some churches pastors cancels d wedding if the couple does not finish attending their marriage course
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by Nobody: 11:40pm On Jan 15, 2009
sillyboy:

True!!! However, parents at times misuse their rights. How many parents really like whoever their son or daughter is marrying? Decisions should be left to the couple as far as they are adults.

~Sauron~:

What if he makes a voodoo doll of you. . . . .Jazz u up(love portion or voodoo science).
As in, you are not conscious of what you are doing cos you are under his SPELL.
Do u expect your parents to just allow a vagrant to walk the aisle with you??

I'll make exceptions to that alone and nothing else. grin
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by KarmaMod(f): 11:41pm On Jan 15, 2009
which one is marriage course?
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by amebono14: 11:42pm On Jan 15, 2009
they get to discuss wat marriage is all about
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by Sauron1: 11:43pm On Jan 15, 2009
stillwater:

I'll make exceptions to that alone and nothing else. grin

Sauron WINS. cheesy

amebo no.1:

@topic

parents have a right to,just keep pushing,they might change their mind

in some churches pastors cancels d wedding if the couple does not finish attending their marriage course

Or if the Church detects one of em is HIV+.
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by amebono14: 11:45pm On Jan 15, 2009
~Sauron~:

Sauron WINS. cheesy

or if someone answers " i do" to the qstion asked by the pastor to the congregation,the almighty qstion

"who amongst u here does not want this couple to be joined in holy matrimony?let that person speak now,or forever remain silent"

grin grin grin grin
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by MrCrackles(m): 11:46pm On Jan 15, 2009
KarmaMod:

which one is marriage course?

I was about to ask too

I guess it is some fanatical nonsense designed by ITK pastors/men of God
! grin
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by Treetop20(m): 11:48pm On Jan 15, 2009
pre-martial counseling
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by MrCrackles(m): 11:48pm On Jan 15, 2009
Dem never born the pastor!

Under no circumstances does a pastor have the bloody right to cancel my wedding unless he wants to die in cold blood! grin

Cancel my wedding for what
? undecided
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by amebono14: 11:48pm On Jan 15, 2009
MrCrackles:

I was about to ask too

I guess it is some fanatical nonsense designed by ITK pastors/men of Gods
! grin

it is no nonsense,its a course dat will make u decide finally if u want to maryy ur partner,you will be asked some qstions

imagine one dude was asked wat he saw in his wife dat made him fall inlove wt her,his answer was "her little open teeth(gap teeth) and d pastor was like "wat if she gets involved in one tough fight,and looses d whole teeth wat will u do?

the dude kept quiet
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by kushi1: 11:50pm On Jan 15, 2009
Pastors - I dont think so

Parents - Yeah,
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by MrCrackles(m): 11:50pm On Jan 15, 2009
amebo no.1:

it is no nonsense,its a course dat will make u decide finally if u want to maryy ur partner,you will be asked some qstions

imagine one dude was asked wat he saw in his wife dat made him fall inlove wt her,his answer was "her little open teeth(gap teeth) and d pastor was like "wat if she gets involved in one tough fight,and looses d whole teeth wat will u do?

the dude kept quiet

Nonsense

The dude must be an imbecilic slowpoke
!
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by kushi1: 11:51pm On Jan 15, 2009
You lot should cast your vote! angry
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by amebono14: 11:52pm On Jan 15, 2009
like treetop said,it is premarital councelling,pple need dat councelling alot cos it helps
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by Nobody: 11:52pm On Jan 15, 2009
~Sauron~:

Sauron WINS. cheesy

The decision should be left to the partner if he/she still wishes to marry the other.
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by sillyboy(m): 11:54pm On Jan 15, 2009
some of these 9ja churches makes the intending groom and bride attend marriage classes for 6 months. . . .am sure of Catholic churches. . .and some Redeemed churches too. . . .

I know a guy that Redeemed Church cancelled his weeding simply because the wife was pregnant. . .they sometimes subject the bride to pregnancy test before agreeing to officiate the wedding. . .

No pastor can cancell my wedding. . . .infact. . .that shouldnt even be my headache sef. . .
Se bi na brides dey dey responsible for church.
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by Sauron1: 11:56pm On Jan 15, 2009
stillwater:

The decision should be left to the partner if he/she still wishes to marry the other.

Says who??

A Pastor is like a shepherd and the members of his church are the sheep.
A HIV+ man/woman coming to marry in that church is the wolf/lioness.
Now do the math!!!!
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by MrCrackles(m): 11:56pm On Jan 15, 2009
amebo no.1:

like treetop said,it is premarital councelling,pple need dat councelling alot cos it helps

Fuc.k counselling, i decide if i want or not, if i dont, i will gladly take my marriage to the registry and straight to the reception if the pastor becomes fussy!
Re: Should Parents/pastors Be Allowed To Cancel A Wedding? by amebono14: 11:57pm On Jan 15, 2009
MrCrackles:

Fuc.k counselling, i decide if i want or not, if i dont, i will gladly take my marriage to the registry and straight to the reception if the pastor becomes fussy!

whatever

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Will Kill Myself, End It All. / I Need Your Advice As Regards My Family Issue. / Is It Advisable For A Man To Sleep In His Inlaw's House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.