Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,572 members, 7,861,733 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 06:02 PM

Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom (9966 Views)

Tension In Ondo APC Over Alleged Plan To Tamper With Primaries Result / Forgery Case: Melaye Alleges Attempts To Tamper With Evidence / Buhari vs AIT: The Shameless Act Against Press Freedom. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by Canme4u(m): 8:07am On Mar 18, 2015
adekennis:
Seun i hope you are now happy with this news cool cool cool

He has assured us of freedom of speech so no need to panic,we could always lambast him if he messes up the same way GEJ did cool

U think say nah because of Freedom of speech hin no support The General b4?

"Mouth wey chop dodo no go fit talk ododo"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by Akon419(m): 8:32am On Mar 18, 2015
Is he not same buhari who said he will not contest election again but later contesting or is he another buhari. This old fOol always talking with both side of his mouth. Well in Islam lying is allowed. Allah permit it
Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by Nobody: 8:32am On Mar 18, 2015
okosodo:
he knows he's lying

Let's assume that Buhari is doing as you say.

Buhari in Uniform....jailed two journalist by just writing a decree, and getting it approved by the SMC.Instant action!

Buhari as a (potential) civillian president.....tries to pass a similar law...goes to national assembly....who then pass it to committee for ironing out....committee holds hearings, and arguments, then passes it to NA for first reading....after which it gets debated...then sent back to committee for more ironing out, and more hearings....then for second reading....then has to be passed by 2/3rd majority(not simple majority....2/3!)....after which...should it pass...it goes to the desk for signing.....and even then the Supreme Court could declare the law null and void.

Oh and did I tell you the whole process takes months....sometimes over a year.?
Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by XBLadez: 8:35am On Mar 18, 2015
You have said that before, Buhari, but we don't believe you! You're an extremist, a killer and a dictator!

2 Likes

Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by Descartes: 8:38am On Mar 18, 2015
All is needed now is your certificate and nothing more. Then again, Buhari, are you ready to show us your certificate?Nigerians, say no to a "semi-illiterate" general.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by hush15: 8:50am On Mar 18, 2015
helinues:
http://thenationonlineng.net/new/buhari-i-wont-tamper-with-press-freedom/

Start by telling Fashola to sign the FOI bill passed by GEJ

1 Like

Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by Chiaka(f): 8:52am On Mar 18, 2015
I don't belivit.
He sure cannot tolerate half the freedom of speech we express now.
Even a baby says his views in GEJ government without getting jailed for it.......that's democracy!
My pick remains GEJ as per freedom of speech and life.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by maestroferddi: 8:56am On Mar 18, 2015
Obinoscopy:
That's great. The freedom of the press was one of my concerns if Buhari wins. I'm happy he has promised to guarantee freedom of the press.
He has promised and you believe him, abi?

Well, majority of Nigerians don't believe him.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by ajepako(f): 9:00am On Mar 18, 2015
Abeg tell Baba to go CHANGE his diaper..

And remember to tell LIE Muhammed to CHANGE his diaper too..

1 Like

Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by maestroferddi: 9:08am On Mar 18, 2015
Mustiboy:
let's try buhari under democracy and see what he can do. Buhari for president jare!
Use your head.

We are not taking the risk of "trying" Buhari. A simple-minded person like you has been carried away by the uncommon permissiveness of Jonathan's administration.

People like you refused to understand that a civilian dictatorship is harder and more deleterious than a military dictatorship. Can you recall how things panned under Obasanjo's government? Do you remember that if not for people like Sen Ken Nnamani who fought Obasanjo to a standstill, Obasanjo would probably have still been in power now.

Please use your head. Buhari will plunge Nigeria into chaos and take us 50 years back.

We shall not dare.

1 Like

Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by NobleG1(m): 9:21am On Mar 18, 2015
When he was a military dictator, he tampered with the press. In fact, he tortured and locked them up.

Jonathan also harrassed and arrested reporters too and he is very incompetent and corrupt. Buhari wasn't so corrupt. In fact, he fought corruption with brute force (what Nigeria needs) but he's too Islamic to rule a secular Nigeria.

If I have to choose who becomes president between these two men, Buhari will be the man. He won't be st*upid to try to make Nigeria islamic. Boko Haram menace has destroyed such prospect. But if he tries, it will plunge Nigeria into a civil war between Christians and Muslims which I guess, he wouldn't want.

1 Like

Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by wisdomguy4u(m): 9:25am On Mar 18, 2015
Obinoscopy:
That's great. The freedom of the press was one of my concerns if Buhari wins. I'm happy he has promised to guarantee freedom of the press.

How old are you? Am sure u a teen.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by wisdomguy4u(m): 9:31am On Mar 18, 2015
adekennis:
Seun i hope you are now happy with this news cool cool cool

He has assured us of freedom of speech so no need to panic,we could always lambast him if he messes up the same way GEJ did cool

Buhari is intolerant by nature. I doubt if he will allow a press man who ridicules him or any of his families walk freely... There are many ways to kill a rat
Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by Obinoscopy(m): 9:34am On Mar 18, 2015
wisdomguy4u:

How old are you? Am sure u a teen.
First tell me how old are you.
Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by Adeyinka12(m): 9:40am On Mar 18, 2015
dave2meek:
We don't need you
we or you?
Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by Forwetinnah: 9:43am On Mar 18, 2015
Obinoscopy:

You expect him to keep that promise?? Comedy!

2 Likes

Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by Nobody: 9:53am On Mar 18, 2015
Buhari,
your temperament is that of lack of self control.
Your lost for power is legendary!

Leave us alone........

1 Like

Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by Forwetinnah: 9:54am On Mar 18, 2015
Rawani:
This is reassuring. We cannot continue with the impunity that characterizes the PDP administration where the press is not just gagged, but threatened and intimidated for an innocent picture questioning the unhealthy power distance between a constitutionally appointed commissioner in Akwa Ibom State, and a woman occupying an unconstitutional office of the first lady.
X
What excuse can anyone give for a Police commissioner that tells a journalist "I cannot protect you" just because he posted an photo criticising the PDP administration in the state? Why should journalistic freedom be sacrificed on the altar of unprofessional partisanship?

We want change.

Yes they can't protect him...what is it about that picture that makes it looks like Akpabio's wife is being worshipped? You lot whip up unnecessary sentiments and then run to the police for protection but cry when yours is being aired. Even overseas, there are stories Editors are asked NOT to publish...has the Punch published anything about Buhari's missing certificate or his inability to produce one, or that he is being bankrolled by unrepentant crooks. Enough of your holier than thou attitude, I can bet you journalist will not just be arrested like OBJ did "The Nation" newspaper staff several years back..they would be killed APC style. You guys don't give chances
Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by Privy(m): 10:09am On Mar 18, 2015
GMB needs to realise the fact that the Nigerian constitution does not empower the president to tamper with the press and changing the law can't be a one man thing unless in a dictatorship. If he becomes the president, then he won't have (let alone exercise) the power to tamper with the press.

Outside of exerting undue and illegal influences on the government owned media organisations and arranging trumped-up charges against percieved enemy press agents, there is little else he might be able to do except going to court (like Tinubu and Diezani have just done), as things are in Nigeria.

By the way, if he wins, he should be aware that PDP or some other party will follow the APC's playbook of "smear-politics" and do exactly what the APC have been doing with JEG and PDP's public image. And that is when he will know how it feels to be in Jonathan's shoes. (No pun intended here).

Caveat: Since every aspirant can expect a win sometime and GMB's statement is predicated on his winning, my response considers the political environment immediately after his possible win. I am non-partisan.
Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by mrrock: 10:35am On Mar 18, 2015
Buhari and Tinubu are currently the two biggest threat to freedom of the media in Nigeria.

1. Buhari have petitioned NTA for airing a documentary about his time as president.

2. Buhari have also petitioned AIT for same reason.

3. Tinubu have sued AIT for airing about him.

4. Buhari in a recent interview on BBC world insisted that the media could be a distraction to government. And that such news media must be punished. Then, the interviewer ask him; "what if the media is reporting the truth about a corrupt politician in your government?". To which he had no clear answer.

Not only is Buhari and Tinubu afraid of the media, they will close websites like facebook , twitter, and Nairaland, if by mistake they get elected.

Say no to Boko haram!.
Say no to Buhari!.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by Gondonu: 10:50am On Mar 18, 2015
It will be damnable for any person,media house who really believe this shithole of a man."A leopard....."
Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by obynoses(m): 11:32am On Mar 18, 2015
APC Baboons...is dat how to kneel down. Someone could also squat to concritize his explanations as a subject. I tot he knelt fully. dat is a secret talk position to ones boss. no big deal.
Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by taharqa: 11:44am On Mar 18, 2015
Obinoscopy:

So you believe him??

undecided
Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by Mustiboy(m): 11:51am On Mar 18, 2015
maestroferddi:
Use your head.

We are not taking the risk of "trying" Buhari. A simple-minded person like you has been carried away by the uncommon permissiveness of Jonathan's administration.

People like you refused to understand that a civilian dictatorship is harder and more deleterious than a military dictatorship. Can you recall how things panned under Obasanjo's government? Do you remember that if not for people like Sen Ken Nnamani who fought Obasanjo to a standstill, Obasanjo would probably have still been in power now.

Please use your head. Buhari will plunge Nigeria into chaos and take us 50 years back.

We shall not dare.
i don't remember myself telling u that i was using my anus to think. Maybe you sha because what you quoted is obviously impossible
Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by Popemax(m): 12:12pm On Mar 18, 2015
DeCritique:
Na so dem dey talk. I don't think this man can whit stand all the insults and bashing Goodluck has received since he climbed that seat.

Him saying he won't ban the press or oppress them is a goose Pandora. The TV stations that aired defamatory documentaries about him should prepare for the worst...

But on a second thought, he won't win so they needn't fear him.

GEJ till 2019 jare
I'm telling u jare....he shd go and rest

1 Like

Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by Popemax(m): 12:14pm On Mar 18, 2015
taharqa:

So you believe him??

undecided
obynoscopy na die hard APC man....he believes everything...for me I don't believe it
Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by taharqa: 12:16pm On Mar 18, 2015
Popemax:
obynoscopy na die hard APC man....he believes everything...for me I don't believe it

No. The guy is actually OK. He is one of the almost truly dispassionate MODS on nl

Am as surprised as yourself at his comment though
Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by SpencerLewis(m): 12:23pm On Mar 18, 2015
centmichael101:
That becos u will never rule nigeria again!!
illiterates are better than some u Tanoids. U've only one vote and u are infront of ur electronic trash writing that he cannot rule Nigeria again as if u'll vote more than once. Is pple like u and other saTANoids that are afraid of card reader/PVC. Just wait and see. The essence of democracy is choice among the contestants.
U go do all of u like film on that day(10 days to go).
Nwanna u tanoids are .................
Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by SpencerLewis(m): 12:25pm On Mar 18, 2015
psucc:
But will you still hold on when taunted the way GEJ is taunted or even pelted?

A sure the old you will stir in you and just for once you may act absurdly not remembering or minding the Constitution.

Just go back to the incubator and there be groomed till 2019 when GEJ had complete his 2nd term, if you still maintain the same promises as done now we will know you are for real.

By for now NO VACANCY IN ASO ROCK.
Completed which 'his 2nd term'. No such law in our constitution that says everybody must complete 'his/her 2nd term' b/4 anoda person. If such law exists, there will be no need for elections every 4yrs. It wd have been straight 8yrs.
Anuofias like u saTANoids.
Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by elisjini: 12:26pm On Mar 18, 2015
Buhari should tell that to the marine
Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by SpencerLewis(m): 12:29pm On Mar 18, 2015
clevvermind:
Buhari is a big liar. Is he telling us that he would not jail ait staff or close down the station?
yes he can't do it b/c he has no such powers. the worst he can do is go to court and file suits for character assasination. BTW, AIT deserves to be closed for their glaring partisanship and also as a PDP media wing. U know PDP has military wing led by Asari Dokubo/Tompolo (similar to NAZI's SA and SS), spiritual wing led by Pastor Ayo Orisa........... etc.
Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by SpencerLewis(m): 12:30pm On Mar 18, 2015
dave2meek:
We don't need you
Who are the we? Let the electorates decide that and an ambiguous 'we'

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tinubu, Ohuabunwa Write Reps, To Meet Respective Party Caucuses / 2,000 Pvcs Seized From Expatriates In Lagos / Kogi Local Government Workers Say They Now Look To God For Survival

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.