Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,941 members, 7,814,182 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:39 AM

Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria - Car Talk (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria (105176 Views)

Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission / Is Power Sterring Fluid Diffrent From Automatic Transmission Fluid? / Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by scolex95(m): 3:29am On Oct 07, 2022
Good day. I use a Mazda mpv. I tried moving it yesterday and noticed It will wouldn't move on D but would reverse on R.. I have topped the transmission fluid with additional 2 litre but it still wouldn't drive on D.
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by inikamoze(m): 11:57am On Oct 19, 2022
My kid brother's Camry 2005 has gear issues, it does not go into reverse. Other gear positions works nicely.
Its a 4plug and its a 13pin. The engine was ringed months ago when it 'knocked'. This is a car we bought fresh Tokunboh from a dealer in June last year oooo.
Please what can be done about the gear not going into reverse?
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by sewenbigboi: 2:04pm On Oct 19, 2022
Dozieson:

Which mean the problem may not be the gear but something else. Don't touch the gear. What you need to do is know the code and share it here.

It could be the gear lever that is having issue
What I notice is that whenever I start it early in the morning
It won’t jerk like that
But it’s when it works like 5min that’s when the engine or gear is hot or runs after 5min
I’m still yet to fix it
I just pack the car in my compound still yet to know the solution to it
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by sewenbigboi: 2:06pm On Oct 19, 2022
Dozieson:

Which mean the problem may not be the gear but something else. Don't touch the gear. What you need to do is know the code and share it here.

It could be the gear lever that is having issue
And Plss sir what’s gear and lever and what’s it function?
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by Dozieson(m): 2:17pm On Oct 19, 2022
inikamoze:
My kid brother's Camry 2005 has gear issues, it does not go into reverse. Other gear positions works nicely.
Its a 4plug and its a 13pin. The engine was ringed months ago when it 'knocked'. This is a car we bought fresh Tokunboh from a dealer in June last year oooo.

Scan the car. Was the car burning oil before it knocked? Why did it knock?

Have you changed or topped the gear oil after the engine was ringed?

What oil did you use to top the gear?
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by omoyami: 12:14am On Nov 06, 2022
I took my car (Honda Accord 1999) to mechanic shop for gearbox repair. The car engine rev higher than necessary when changing gear. It also jerk when shifting from low gear to higher one particularly when ascending a hill.

He said it's fiber. When he loosen the box, he showed me two other iron that serves as pivot for the gears that they are weak, so I should change them.

On completion, the gear couldn't shift into another gear. It will take parƙing or putting the car to a complete stop to accelerate again. So, I returned the car to him.

He said he would change certain sensor. He later said it's the valve body that's weak and he doesn't have any for replacement. That I should be managing the car that way until I am able to buy new gearbox. Meanwhile he has packeɗ the fibre and other things he bought into the gearbox.

Gurus in the house, what should I do?
Gazzuzz, Dozieson, kingrein, nurey, and many other expert I couldn't remember their monicker, help me.
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by Dozieson(m): 5:39am On Nov 06, 2022
omoyami:
I took my car (Honda Accord 1999) to mechanic shop for gearbox repair. The car engine rev higher than necessary when changing gear. It also jerk when shifting from low gear to higher one particularly when ascending a hill.

He said it's fiber. When he loosen the box, he showed me two other iron that serves as pivot for the gears that they are weak, so I should change them.

On completion, the gear couldn't shift into another gear. It will take parƙing or putting the car to a complete stop to accelerate again. So, I returned the car to him.

He said he would change certain sensor. He later said it's the valve body that's weak and he doesn't have any for replacement. That I should be managing the car that way until I am able to buy new gearbox. Meanwhile he has packeɗ the fibre and other things he bought into the gearbox.

Gurus in the house, what should I do?
Gazzuzz, Dozieson, kingrein, nurey, and many other expert I couldn't remember their monicker, help me.

The truth is that you have to change the gear box. It is not so easy repairing gear box in naija

1 Like

Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by petrusevents(m): 10:49pm On Nov 07, 2022
Dozieson:

The truth is that you have to change the gear box. It is not so easy repairing gear box in naija

.how much did he charge you for that job sir
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by Dozieson(m): 5:16am On Nov 08, 2022
petrusevents:

.how much did he charge you for that job sir

Which job?
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by Jamie1000: 7:39pm On Nov 08, 2022
inikamoze:

Do a proper scan and acertain if it's just a cable issue or minor stuff. If it requires bringing the gear box down to fix, I will suggest yo get a 10 pin Gear and rest. Budget 150k. Even if you repair the the 13 pin. It will still develope fault. The 13 pin Gear is too delicate for our roads. Any slightest mistake your gear is gone...... The reason you see a lot of 07-09 muscle Camry with 13 pin Gear issue for sale . And it's more expensive to purchase. 350k.... If you want to fix it, you might end up wasting your money.
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by Dozieson(m): 7:53pm On Nov 08, 2022
Jamie1000:

Do a proper scan and acertain if it's just a cable issue or minor stuff. If it requires bringing the gear box down to fix, I will suggest yo get a 10 pin Gear and rest. Budget 150k. Even if you repair the the 13 pin. It will still develope fault. The 13 pin Gear is too delicate for our roads. Any slightest mistake your gear is gone...... The reason you see a lot of 07-09 muscle Camry with 13 pin Gear issue for sale . And it's more expensive to purchase. 350k.... If you want to fix it, you might end up wasting your money.

He will hate his car when 10pin is installed. The best is to scan and know the codes. If it is major, he should replace with 13pin .
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by petrusevents(m): 8:41pm On Nov 08, 2022
Dozieson:

Which job?
Gear repair
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by Dozieson(m): 8:55pm On Nov 08, 2022
petrusevents:

Gear repair

Mine was long time ago(2016).

Amount to spend depends on the gear type, oil type and quality of mechanic
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by kingreign(m): 5:53am On Nov 09, 2022
Jamie1000:

Do a proper scan and acertain if it's just a cable issue or minor stuff. If it requires bringing the gear box down to fix, [s]I will suggest yo get a 10 pin Gear and rest. Budget 150k. Even if you repair the the 13 pin. It will still develope fault. The 13 pin Gear is too delicate for our roads. Any slightest mistake your gear is gone...... The reason you see a lot of 07-09 muscle Camry with 13 pin Gear issue for sale . And it's more expensive to purchase. 350k.... If you want to fix it, you might end up wasting your money[/s] .

If YOU don’t know what advise to give to someone so as to keep his car in proper condition and please find something else to do. The R & D scientists. Engineers, and technicians who put in 13pin in his car are NOT mad.
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by kingreign(m): 5:53am On Nov 09, 2022
Dozieson:

He will hate his car when 10pin is installed. The best is to scan and know the codes. If it is major, he should replace with 13pin .
Don’t mind him.
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by Jamie1000: 6:37am On Nov 09, 2022
kingreign:

If YOU don’t know what advise to give to someone so as to keep his car in proper condition and please find something else to do. The R & D scientists. Engineers, and technicians who put in 13pin in his car are NOT mad.

You don't even read wide to learn. His car year 05 Camry comes with optional 5 Speed automatic transmission. He can choose to use the 4 speed or 5 speed. Which is either 10 pin or 13 pin .
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by kingreign(m): 6:44am On Nov 09, 2022
Jamie1000:

You don't even read wide to learn. His car year 05 Camry comes with optional 5 Speed automatic transmission. He can choose to use the 4 speed or 5 speed. Which is either 10 pin or 13 pin .

What transmission type came installed in his car off the production line? 5speed!
Why do you ask him to downgrade it to 4speed?
Cos you lack basic understanding of how things ought to be and you engage in cut corner shoddy repair jobs!

1 Like

Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by Jamie1000: 8:07am On Nov 09, 2022
kingreign:

What transmission type came installed in his car off the production line? 5speed!
Cos you lack basic understanding of how things ought to be and you engage in cut corner shoddy repair jobs!

It's optional 5 speed. You can use both the 4 speed and the 5 speed. Most BFN with 2.4 litre engine use the 4 speed. And it's efficient. It's only problematic in 07-09 with the 2.5 litre engine. The 02-04 comes standard with the 10 pin and they are more reliable and efficient. A lot of ppl use them for transportation and it doesn't disappoint. The first year of the 5 speed is like a test run of new technology. What do you expect? Experiment. But, you might still change the 13 pin after spending 350k for a 17 year old car. . Do what suits you though.
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by Jamie1000: 8:34am On Nov 09, 2022
kingreign:

Google the word optional
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by Dozieson(m): 9:00am On Nov 09, 2022
Jamie1000:

It's optional 5 speed. You can use both the 4 speed and the 5 speed. Most BFN with 2.4 litre engine use the 4 speed. And it's efficient. It's only problematic in 07-09 with the 2.5 litre engine. The 02-04 comes standard with the 10 pin and they are more reliable and efficient. A lot of ppl use them for transportation and it doesn't disappoint. The first year of the 5 speed is like a test run of new technology. What do you expect? Experiment. But, you might still change the 13 pin after spending 350k for a 17 year old car. . Do what suits you though.

Bros, 07-09 is not 2.5 but 2.4 2az engine. 02-04 does not use same transmission as 05-06 and it is not optional. i have driven 05 with 10pin gear and can assure you it was terrible. camry 2.52ar starts from 2010
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by Dozieson(m): 9:03am On Nov 09, 2022
Jamie1000:

Google the word optional

it is not optional from research. Even some lexus, pontiac vibes onwers have converted their 13 to 10pin. it will move with jerks on 1-2 0r 2-3 gear selection
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by Jamie1000: 9:50am On Nov 09, 2022
Dozieson:

Bros, 07-09 is not 2.5 but 2.4 2az engine. 02-04 does not use same transmission as 05-06 and it is not optional. i have driven 05 with 10pin gear and can assure you it was terrible. camry 2.52ar starts from 2010

Ok
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by benitochakone(m): 1:46am On Nov 11, 2022
Good day guys, pls I have an issue with my Camry 08 SE. Last week I asked my mechanic to change my brake disc and inner cup. He came back with the car and the gear was not selecting anymore except reverse. He went back with it and has not been able to fix it. It seems my gear is condemned. Now I have read a lot hia about the disadvantages of changing from 13 pin to 10 pin, jerking and transmission issues which will ultimately kill the engine. I have also learnt that getting a good 13 pin gear is not really guaranteed as the 13 pin has it's own issues.I recently met a man who had an accident with his 2012 Camry that uses 10 pin. He wants to sell the Engine and other components. My question is can I take all his engine and gear and brain box to install in my 08 so I dnt need to convert or gamble on the 13 pin? Will this work?
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by Dozieson(m): 4:20am On Nov 11, 2022
benitochakone:
Good day guys, pls I have an issue with my Camry 08 SE. Last week I asked my mechanic to change my brake disc and inner cup. He came back with the car and the gear was not selecting anymore except reverse. He went back with it and has not been able to fix it. It seems my gear is condemned. Now I have read a lot hia about the disadvantages of changing from 13 pin to 10 pin, jerking and transmission issues which will ultimately kill the engine. I have also learnt that getting a good 13 pin gear is not really guaranteed as the 13 pin has it's own issues.I recently met a man who had an accident with his 2012 Camry that uses 10 pin. He wants to sell the Engine and other components. My question is can I take all his engine and gear and brain box to install in my 08 so I dnt need to convert or gamble on the 13 pin? Will this work?

1. The contaminated inner cup killed the gear. Next time when changing inner cup make sure you give it to an experienced mechanic or be there yourself. Buy a brand new or watch them wash it properly with fuel to avoid this issue.

2. Don't change anything apart from same 13pin gear(u250e). The gear sellers will provide the oil and mechanic to fix the gear. They will give you 1-2 weeks guarantee. You have to test drive it very well with the mechanic to be sure there is no issue.
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by benitochakone(m): 6:13am On Nov 11, 2022
Dozieson:

1. The contaminated inner cup killed the gear. Next time when changing inner cup make sure you give it to an experienced mechanic or be there yourself. Buy a brand new or watch them wash it properly with fuel to avoid this issue.

2. Don't change anything apart from same 13pin gear(u250e). The gear sellers will provide the oil and mechanic to fix the gear. They will give you 1-2 weeks guarantee. You have to test drive it very well with the mechanic to be sure there is no issue.
Thank you
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by realestgee(m): 12:59pm On Nov 14, 2022
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by benitochakone(m): 6:54am On Nov 20, 2022
Dozieson:

Hello @Dozieson, Thank u for the advice. I got in touch with a seller hia on Nairaland. He offered to get the 13pin gear for 280k though based in Lagos. He also suggested his Mechanic cm to Kaduna wia am located to fix it. Turns out his Mechanic was not too cool with the idea. I eventually got the 13 pin gear hia in Kaduna for 340k and fixed for around
40k (gear oil inclusive). Everything runs smoothly like it was never changed. Even the error lights on my dashboard magically disappeared. Where I fixed my gear, I noticed some one came with a similar issue like mine and wanted to opt for the 10pin gear. Omoh that car no get head again oh. So thank u so much for the advice. It has quite difficult raisin the cash but now am resting

2 Likes

Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by Dozieson(m): 3:16pm On Nov 20, 2022
benitochakone:

Hello @Dozieson, Thank u for the advice. I got in touch with a seller hia on Nairaland. He offered to get the 13pin gear for 280k though based in Lagos. He also suggested his Mechanic cm to Kaduna wia am located to fix it. Turns out his Mechanic was not too cool with the idea. I eventually got the 13 pin gear hia in Kaduna for 340k and fixed for around
40k (gear oil inclusive). Everything runs smoothly like it was never changed. Even the error lights on my dashboard magically disappeared. Where I fixed my gear, I noticed some one came with a similar issue like mine and wanted to opt for the 10pin gear. Omoh that car no get head again oh. So thank u so much for the advice. It has quite difficult raisin the cash but now am resting

Congratulations Bro. Enjoy your ride
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by kingreign(m): 11:37pm On Nov 20, 2022
benitochakone:

If you don’t mind, what type of gear oil did you use in filling the transmission?
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by inikamoze(m): 11:42pm On Nov 24, 2022
My kid brother's Toyota Camry 2005 model is having the same gear issue. Initial problem was gear not entering reverse,he took a loan to get a new gear at Ladipo market, recommendation from his neighbor and friend. After the new gear was replaced, car has never been the same.
The car jerks intermittently, idles a lot and sometimes seems as if the car is dying down,if you depress the accelerator pedal,nothing happens and seconds later the car jerks forward and shoots with speed.
Other times while in motion,it would not accelerate more than 30-40km on the speedometer and when accelerator is stepped upon,the engine revs as if it is static and you are warming it up. It's been frustrating for him. He took it back,left it with them for about 3 days,but the problem still persists.
The person who sold the gear to him and the mechanic says when it circulates ,whatever rubbish that is,that the car would return to normal movement but I see that as arrant rubbish. I have told him to take the car back and have them fix it properly or have the gear changed.
Please what can he do? Is there any good mechanic that can help solve the car's problems?
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by Dozieson(m): 4:39am On Nov 25, 2022
inikamoze:
My kid brother's Toyota Camry 2005 model is having the same gear issue. Initial problem was gear not entering reverse,he took a loan to get a new gear at Ladipo market, recommendation from his neighbor and friend. After the new gear was replaced, car has never been the same.
The car jerks intermittently, idles a lot and sometimes seems as if the car is dying down,if you depress the accelerator pedal,nothing happens and seconds later the car jerks forward and shoots with speed.
Other times while in motion,it would not accelerate more than 30-40km on the speedometer and when accelerator is stepped upon,the engine revs as if it is static and you are warming it up. It's been frustrating for him. He took it back,left it with them for about 3 days,but the problem still persists.
The person who sold the gear to him and the mechanic says when it circulates ,whatever rubbish that is,that the car would return to normal movement but I see that as arrant rubbish. I have told him to take the car back and have them fix it properly or have the gear changed.
Please what can he do? Is there any good mechanic that can help solve the car's problems?

What was his total spent? And the kind of gear installed
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by esiri4jesu(m): 4:27pm On Nov 25, 2022
My camry 2003 stalls from gear 2 to 3 in the morning for like a kilometer before it will start functioning well for the whole day and repeat the same fault in morning. After that initial stalling, it moves perfectly for the rest of the day. It is 13 pin gear box. I took to my mechanic, he smelled the oil and said it is body valve or fibre something l can't recollect that l should replace the gear box.
What do you recommend?

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply)

Lagos Number Plate Abbreviations & What They Mean / Meet Nigerians Who Own Bugatti Veyron Car(Photos) / Ayo Fayose's New Official Ride (PHOTOS) 1957 Mercedes Benz 220S Sedan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.