Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:52 AM

Is Honesty Always The Best Policy? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is Honesty Always The Best Policy? (4710 Views)

Poll: Is honesty the best policy?

Yes: 62% (5 votes)
No: 37% (3 votes)
This poll has ended

Celibacy, No Marriage And No Women - Best Policy For Men - Seriously / Is Honesty Actually A Good Thing For U Ladies? / In A Relationship Is Honesty Always The Best Policy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Honesty Always The Best Policy? by zaragoza(m): 2:18pm On Jan 20, 2009
I know this topic can always be argued down the wire more especially from the religious point of view. But in reality, i dont think that honesty is always the best policy. There are lies that need to be told in other to avert a greater danger ahead, in other words these are necessary evils. A clear example of what i mean is this Assuming you have a friend who cheats on his wife, and you know fully well that your friend sees other women, If your friend's wife comes to you as the husband's best friend to actually confirm if her husband cheats on her, peradventure she has been hearing the rumour but just wanted to confirm from you as the husband's right hand man What would you tell her? putting in mind that if you tell her the truth outrightly(i.e being honest) you might end up breaking up thier home and remember that you shouldnt put as under what god has joined together. In this kind of scenario i strongly suggest that you desist from telling her the truth instead you should go and caution your friend, but you would end up being dishonest by lying to her. Please follow nairalanders whats your take on this one.
Re: Is Honesty Always The Best Policy? by steve49ja(m): 2:24pm On Jan 20, 2009
You have to specify if you're talking about one's life policy or relationship wise.
Life policy well a lie sometime wont hurt but only when need be like the scenario above
But Relationship -wise if its a serious relationship of course it should be lies-free but if its a do-me-i-do-you(Sexmate) kinda thing then who cares? sad once you aint lieing about your hiv status
Re: Is Honesty Always The Best Policy? by MoneyRule(m): 2:36pm On Jan 20, 2009
I believe that in some situations in all areas of life(life policy or relationship wise),diplomacy(neither yes nor no) is the best policy! in that way,you are neither honest nor dishonest. wink
Re: Is Honesty Always The Best Policy? by Epi: 2:45pm On Jan 20, 2009
oui, l'honnêteté est la meilleure ligne de conduite.
Re: Is Honesty Always The Best Policy? by vodka(f): 3:03pm On Jan 20, 2009
epi:

oui, l'honnêteté est la meilleure ligne de conduite.
c'est speakee zeee englizzhhh?

@poster, well it depends you know. sometimes you wanna act right and tell alie onl at the end of the day it only lands you in bigger trouble. take for exampple in a relationship you tell small lies to protect the one you love only it comes a round and bites u in the ass.
for me thereis no hard and fast rule.
its not true tha if you lie you'd get caught sometimes it just works out, but don't take liberty for license. i believe if its for a good cause, why not.

just be smart about it.
Re: Is Honesty Always The Best Policy? by Epi: 3:14pm On Jan 20, 2009
vodka:

c'est speakee zeee englizzhhh?
oops sorry. sometimes i forget wher i am

@ poster

Yes, honesty is the best policy. Why? Karma is a B*tch
Re: Is Honesty Always The Best Policy? by zaragoza(m): 3:48pm On Jan 20, 2009
@Vodka
The topic is 'is honesty always the best policy?' i am by no means suggesting that dishonesty is the best policy. Its very true that when you tell a lie, you would need to tell eleven other lies to prevent the previous ones from leaking. Its just like risk taking, whenever you want to take a risk you would have to ensure that its worth it and as well necessary, i think same should be applied to 'honesty' and 'dishonesty'.
@stephen4nja
The topic covers both personal life policy and romance infact the topic applies to life in general. I placed it in this section cos i couldnt find a suitable section.
Re: Is Honesty Always The Best Policy? by whitelexi(m): 3:56pm On Jan 20, 2009
Honesty - yes, but don't give out all the information.
I prefer not to tell than to tall a lie grin
It has worked for yrs
Re: Is Honesty Always The Best Policy? by Ben13: 4:03pm On Jan 20, 2009
I admire you
Re: Is Honesty Always The Best Policy? by iice(f): 4:10pm On Jan 20, 2009
Hmmm.  Sometimes diplomacy as a poster above said is the best way (I try to be, but e no easy, no be my strong suit as per breaking it gently or being sensitive undecided)  No confirmation not because i suffer any qualms of breaking some illusion of a happy family/relationship but because i do not believe in spreading tales be they be true or false.
In my relationships though.  .  .honesty jare.  Though if i feel uncomfortable telling the person anything at that moment, i will the person that i will not tell him/her.  Either take it or leave it but i'd rather say that i ain't telling than make up some story.   This has brought about funny situations.  People would rather you lie to them than telling them that you can't tell them.  .  .
Re: Is Honesty Always The Best Policy? by zaragoza(m): 4:28pm On Jan 20, 2009
@iice
Diplomacy
When you answer someone "i dont know" or "i am not so sure" where as you actually know and at thesame time very sure, are you being honest with the person? I would want to know what you guys actually mean by diplomacy.
Re: Is Honesty Always The Best Policy? by SisiJinx: 4:38pm On Jan 20, 2009
Personally, I don’t embrace the whole tell the truth no matter what. If it is a situation where it could potentially cause irreversible damage, then eff the truth I say.

Sometimes people use the  truth to be spiteful and that’s just as bad as telling lies to make yourself look good.

Anyhoo on a light note, here is a funny video on Honesty at its best

http://www.runawaybox.com/video.php?vid=396

Let’s be honest, can anyone really be like that? cheesy cheesy
Re: Is Honesty Always The Best Policy? by iice(f): 4:53pm On Jan 20, 2009
I'd rather say.  .  .i cannot say.  You can find out from someone else, that is when i have a good day.
If it's a bad day.  .  .it's 'please use your brain' undecided
It's not so much as not telling the person as it is not my thing to 'tell' like i said be it true or false.

Diplomacy in the sense that you find a way to not confirm or confirm the issue.  .  .you can put a hint which is easier to do.  
The thing is that, you try not to hurt the parties involved or strive for at least a cordial result.
Re: Is Honesty Always The Best Policy? by MoneyRule(m): 5:31pm On Jan 20, 2009
@ iice
behind you all the way or is it above you??
@ zaragoza
diplomacy doesn't have to be "i don't know" or "i'm not sure" it could be
woman: is my husband cheating?
Answer: i'll check,i can't really say or do you think he is?,maybe.
Infact,you can even say yes and make the person think you mean no.Diplomacy is just not spoon-feeding the person but making the person think it could be yes but it could also be no!
Re: Is Honesty Always The Best Policy? by zaragoza(m): 8:38pm On Jan 20, 2009
@Moneyrule
What is the difference btw "i can't really say" and "i am not sure". When u reply the woman "i'll check" when the woman comes back again would u keep on replying her "i would check"? When u answer her "maybe" maybe what? Maybe that he's not cheating on her? are u being honest with her? When u actually answer her "yes" and make her beleive it to be "no" u've just ended up telling her no. In other words u are not being sincere with her, u are deceiving her into believing what is not the truth. Mind u honesty encompasses truthfulness and sincerity, and to be sincere means avoidance of deceit and pretence. The mistake u are making including iice is that you guys are seeing honesty as being just telling the truth, it comprises of a lot more.
Re: Is Honesty Always The Best Policy? by Nobody: 8:58pm On Jan 20, 2009
Some people can't handle the truth.
Re: Is Honesty Always The Best Policy? by Taken(m): 10:52pm On Jan 20, 2009
<If your friend's wife comes to you as the husband's best friend to actually confirm if her husband cheats on her, peradventure she has been hearing the rumour but just wanted to confirm from you as the husband's right hand man What would you tell her? putting in mind that if you tell her the truth outrightly(i.e being honest) you might end up breaking up thier home and remember that you shouldnt put as under what god has joined together. In this kind of scenario i strongly suggest that you desist from telling her the truth instead you should go and caution your friend, but you would end up being dishonest by lying to her. Please follow nairalanders whats your take on this one. >

Honesty is still the best policy. But telling on others is called snitching. Honesty does not require you to confess on behalf of other pple.
But to be honest about your own actions or deeds is very important cus nature will still reveal the hidden stuff anyway.
Re: Is Honesty Always The Best Policy? by kaypumpin2(m): 11:09pm On Jan 20, 2009
Taken:

<If your friend's wife comes to you as the husband's best friend to actually confirm if her husband cheats on her, peradventure she has been hearing the rumour but just wanted to confirm from you as the husband's right hand man What would you tell her? putting in mind that if you tell her the truth outrightly(i.e being honest) you might end up breaking up thier home and remember that you shouldnt put as under what god has joined together. In this kind of scenario i strongly suggest that you desist from telling her the truth instead you should go and caution your friend, but you would end up being dishonest by lying to her. Please follow nairalanders whats your take on this one. >

Honesty is still the best policy. But telling on others is called snitching. Honesty does not require you to confess on behalf of other pple.
But to be honest about your own actions or deeds is very important cus nature will still reveal the hidden stuff anyway.

That is why there is no exclusivity in life,virtually everything in life is relative.
In life,if you can not tell a truth that can be believed,tell a believable lie cool tongue
Re: Is Honesty Always The Best Policy? by Moyola(f): 12:05am On Jan 21, 2009
Yes, it is.

Reminds me of my pry school pledge: 'Honesty is the best policy and therefore I must be honest' tongue
Re: Is Honesty Always The Best Policy? by Czarskit(m): 12:35am On Jan 21, 2009
Just like, 'Silence is (not always) golden, so also 'Honesty is (not always) d best policy.
I wonda y most of us lyk hanging on d fence. Lie when necessary!
Bleep Diplomacy & all dat crap, I tell ppl what they want to hear (lies or truth). . .
Avn't u told d truth & ppl stil didn't believe u?
Wel, it's bin said, 'Karma is a bitch'! So Bleep it!
Re: Is Honesty Always The Best Policy? by Raymond88(m): 12:36am On Jan 21, 2009
Honesty can cost you your life!
Re: Is Honesty Always The Best Policy? by TOYOSI20(f): 2:49am On Jan 21, 2009
To this i say always go wid ur gut feelings. . . .let ur instincts direct you!!! wink
Re: Is Honesty Always The Best Policy? by dayokanu(m): 3:04am On Jan 21, 2009
kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Is Honesty Always The Best Policy? by TOYOSI20(f): 3:06am On Jan 21, 2009
Ahhhhh!!!!

Bro wetin do u naa?? shocked shocked tongue

Abeg i too dey quiet and gentle this night oo!! cool

Anyways how have u been sha?? wink cheesy
Re: Is Honesty Always The Best Policy? by dayokanu(m): 3:30am On Jan 21, 2009
Nothing oooo I just dey watch inauguration since morning
Re: Is Honesty Always The Best Policy? by Kobojunkie: 3:57am On Jan 21, 2009
Raymond88:

Honesty can cost you your life!

So what is a life of dishonesty worth? Is it better to live dishonestly than to die honest?
Re: Is Honesty Always The Best Policy? by cvibe: 6:49am On Jan 21, 2009
Honesty.
Re: Is Honesty Always The Best Policy? by princekevo(m): 7:56am On Jan 21, 2009
I think this is wht jst proves the imperfection of man and the world itself, Once in  a while in life we are been faced with such  difficult situations which the example u gave is jst one of it. In that case telling ur frens wife of his infidelity might be seens as betrayal and an act of breaking up a home. Religious apart I have always believed in life that there secrets better remained uncovered and there are things better to be left unsaid.
But you made a gud point there, in such a situation your Honesty and truthfulness comes into play when u call your fren boldly and let him know tht wht his doing is very wrong and he need to change or else, U can go to the lenght of threatening him to make him desist from such act.
For me i think telling his wife is causing more damages but ur effort on stoping ur fren from cheating is honesty.
Re: Is Honesty Always The Best Policy? by TEEZERO(m): 8:08am On Jan 21, 2009
"Why don't you ask your hubby?"
Simple
Re: Is Honesty Always The Best Policy? by ayobase(m): 8:58am On Jan 21, 2009
lying by ommision and commision,
both are lying, its a sin to lie.

but there are situation one needs to
be diplomatic about.
about a friend cheating his wife
doesnt mean that one should open
one`s mouth to say what he knows,
there are thousands way to solving
a problem.

this type one require one,being diplomatic.
U wanna break up a home
when God had said 'don`t put assunder to
whatever He has joined together'?

Pls,one go to one`s friend to talk with/to him
for a change.remember he can bring home disease!!!!

Ask for god`s guidance with this type of issue.
Marriage?
Dont do anything stupid!!!
Re: Is Honesty Always The Best Policy? by zaragoza(m): 8:59am On Jan 21, 2009
@Mr moderator
The poll you created is just a deviation from the actual topic. Please i suggest u correct it. The actual topic is "is honesty always the best policy?" and not "is honesty the best policy?" these two have different meaning.
Back to the actual topic, the example i gave above is just a case of having to make a choice btw two "evils" the best approach to tackle this kind of scenario is just opting for the lesser evil.
Re: Is Honesty Always The Best Policy? by zaragoza(m): 9:11am On Jan 21, 2009
@ayobase
I totally agree with u. But how can you be diplomatic without being dishonest? Remember a direct question was put to you by your friend's wife, also remember that if your diplomacy is void of sincerity and truth you are not being honest, moreso, your sincerity should be void of deceit and pretence otherwise you are not being sincere cos those are what honesty entails.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Am I The Only One Who Cringes When . . . / Miss Romanceland 2015 / 10 Things Men Do In Bedroom That Nigerian Women Hate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.