Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,360 members, 7,812,015 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:20 AM

My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today (64655 Views)

Bull Wandering On Third Mainland Bridge In Lagos Today (Photos) / US Embassy Releases Statement On Nigerian Travel To US / Man Crushed To Death While Crossing Road In Lagos Today (graphic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by bigtalla(m): 8:02am On Mar 26, 2015
@OP, I know a few peeps who have gotten visas with salaries lees than 180k and have not travelled out of the country before. Some likely reasons u were denied visa are:

1. You appear to have no strong ties to Nigeria : Travelling alone without your kid(s) and hubby raises a red-flag. Seems like you are running away. Next time, apply for a visa for the whole family, even if you plan to travel alone.
2. Intention of Visit sounds weak: You may truly have a cousin you miss so much and would love to see, but what stops your cousin from visiting you here in Nigeria (I want to assume your cousin is not yet married)? Rather than you leaving your hubby and kids to make a long trip to the US.
3. What you plan to do during your visit: During your 2 weeks stay, I think it would have made more sense saying you are going for a vacation and u plan to visit wonderful places like, NASA space centre, Musem for Natural sciences, etc (depending on where u want to visit). Then when asked if you know anyone in the USA, u say YES, you have a cousin and may visit her, depending if time permits you
4. Where you will be staying: You can book hotel room(s) without paying a kobo. This gives the Visa Officer the impression you won't be inconveniencing anyone in the USA and you plan to 'spend' your cash in the USA...

My thoughts

11 Likes 8 Shares

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by Nobody: 8:03am On Mar 26, 2015
Yomieluv:
Before my cousin was granted visa to the UK,she was put under severe scrutiny..

The UK claimed her kids weren't her,they asked the kids several times,if she is their mother,or aunt..

Thank God she was given then.

UK visa is not challenging to get if you ask me, if your docs r in order, u will be granted most times, but the US don't give a fvck about your docs.

4 Likes

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by ololo12: 8:04am On Mar 26, 2015
is it a must to go to America?? What happened to African countries like South Africa, Tanzania, Kenya, Mali, Senegal, Mauritius, Cape Verde, Salone, Burkina Faso huh!
Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by GboyegaD(m): 8:04am On Mar 26, 2015
chimchim1:
D easıest way ıs to look for a conference to attend ın the usa. I have amerıcan vısa 4 myself, wıfe n my daughter tru same means. Its very easy n make sure u have ınvıtatıon letter then ur famıly members can accompany u. And ın ur applıcatıon never state dt u have relatıon ın d usa.

Are you suggesting he souls lie he doesn't have relatives when he is asked? His cousin in this case is close for him to plan to visit him.

1 Like

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by chibwike(m): 8:05am On Mar 26, 2015
Royals1:
This is my experience at US embassy in Lagos today. At window 1
VO: where are u going in Us
Response: am going to Chicago in illinios
VO: what are you going there for
Response: I want to visit ny cousin over there.
VO:how long are u staying there
Response: just for 2 weeks
VO: what do u do heere
Response: I work as a manager in a cleaning compaany
VO: how much do u earn
Response: 180k afta tax
VO: Are you married?
Response: Yes with a kid.
VO: have you travelled before?
Response: No.
VO: Put your fingerprint there.
VO: Thank you for coming you can re-apply some other time. Take this paper and read it thank you.
Response: thank you
You for beg na....

4 Likes

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by justwise(m): 8:05am On Mar 26, 2015
ifyalways:
@OP, you were denied/ not eligible simply because you have no " travel history".

You've never taken a holiday before, it's strange you suddenly want to travel to us.

Before you re-apply next time, build a travel history. Start by going to places like Ghana, Kenya, Dubai or even SA for vacation.

It's quite difficult to get US, UK or Schengen visa with a virgin passport if you are below 40.

That is the only country that could help his travel history in that list....the rest will not.

Travel history is not really a big deal....nobody is born with travel history...there is always a first timer.

5 Likes

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by illiad: 8:06am On Mar 26, 2015
Those people who attend to visa applicants at the US consulate are mostly students on internship, they don't give a Bleep what documents you came there with whether fake or original, and whatever decision they took is final.

1 Like

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by martineverest(m): 8:06am On Mar 26, 2015
Add edo boys to it...de re responsible for most cocaine shipment to europe while ibos re mostly reponsible for asia cocaine
ikombe:
Nigerians brought this upon themselfs. Stupid nigerians who go dere to carry drugs, 80% of the international prisoners dat are there are nigerians, most painfull aspect is that 65% out of the 85% are igbos. Though am an igbo boy , but we keep on causing insults to our country.
Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by AJOT99(m): 8:08am On Mar 26, 2015
What a country!

D deterioration of Nigeria was in no way created by the present administration bt its an accumulation of several corrupt practices in d rank and file of government and non governmental agencies. If we don't change our attitude and behavior for a better Nigeria no single individual at d helm of affairs can bring change.

U and I need to change before we start chanting change all around.

However, I really pity d Op. Its really pathetic what our country has turned into. I dislike d attitude of these whites cos they see us as hopeless people bt I long to see a Nigeria where those abroad will long to come home. It begins with you!

GOD BLESS NIGERIA!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by vega84(m): 8:08am On Mar 26, 2015
Royals1:
VO: Thank you for coming you can re-apply some other time. Take this paper and read it thank you.
hahahahaha exactly hw mine happened in my case I even went wit an invition letter which I paid over 160usd fr they still fall my hands within minutes and gav me a nonsense paper on why I was nt ready fr us visa @ that time. Rubbishhhhhhh. I wasted my time, money 160usd+22k visa fee+my flight 17k frm ph to lag +plus other etcs. I suggest u look fr a travelling agent cos that embassy the fail hands wella. #vegatalks
Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by mmsen: 8:09am On Mar 26, 2015
EroticAngelina:
lmao! eyha! sorry swiri.
countries like usa, canada, london, spain etc hardly accept nigerians.
tip: nxt time u wanna apply 4 visa again, tell ur cousin over there 2 send an invitation letter. if u get it and show the visa ppl, ur chances of getting visa are higher wink

1. 'London' is not a country.

2. All of those countries accept a lot of Nigerians, some would argue too many are accepted

1 Like

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by ifyalways(f): 8:10am On Mar 26, 2015
justwise:

That is the only country that could help his travel history in that list....the rest will not.

Travel history is not really a big deal....nobody is born with travel history...there is always a first timer.
I disagree sir!

Traveling to at least 2 of those countries will boost his travel history, believe it or not.

Travel history for anyone below 40 going on " tourist visa" is a BIG deal. If you are a tourist, you are expected to start from your immediate environment.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by Emmahunk(m): 8:10am On Mar 26, 2015
Royals1:

I have read so many responses to this write up many of which gave wise tips but the one lamenting the green passport not having respect is annoying.
May I authoritatively inform the writer of that piece that the Nigeria E passport is as date one of the most respected today in the world because of its high security features. It is in fact second to the United States passport in meeting ICAO standard.
Granting or refusal of visa is based not on the Country’s passport but other issues some of which are as follows ;
●Confidence of the appplicant during interview
●Evidence of strong ties at home to prove that the applicant is not abandoning home
●Evidence of livelihood to prove that applicant will not be a public charge in host Country
●Previous travel history hence the question have you travelled before is more important than people think
●It's always a good proof of financial independence when you book a reservation and pay for at least a night rather than filling your relation's address as the place to stay in the States
●Age is also important. Do you look as old as you claim?
●Dress neatly and not to impress
●Never appear desperate, be relaxed.
●Never be in a hurry to produce any document except when it's requested for
Good luck

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by Nelrulez(m): 8:11am On Mar 26, 2015
Royals1:
I thought it is when they ask of any documents (like invitation letter) that I will present it, but she neva ask of any document yet. First thing is just d questions, infact most applicants did not present doc, just d questions before any documents.
Howeva now I don't know where ny fault is.
She doesn't need to ask for the invitation letter before you present it, after all she asked you what you were going there for? Response should be, My cousin invited me over then you tender your letter of invitation.
Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by dROC1: 8:11am On Mar 26, 2015
Royals1:
I thought it is when they ask of any documents (like invitation letter) that I will present it, but she neva ask of any document yet. First thing is just d questions, infact most applicants did not present doc, just d questions before any documents.
Howeva now I don't know where ny fault is.

From my experience the following factors worked against you.

1. No travel history.(Western country preferred)
2. Low income and job profile to support your trip. (Your monthly salary can't pay for a US plane ticket and feed your wife and kid at the same time )
3. You didn't go with your spouse.( If married, this reduces your chances drastically)
4. No convincing reason for your trip (An official trip and hotel booking would have served your circumstances better)
5. General naivety of the whole visa process

Being married should have helped you but with all the factors above the VO was definitely going to bounce you...no two ways about it.

Don't bother re-applying immediately till most of your circumstances (Now a red flag in their records) have changed significantly else you will just be throwing away money.

Follow me @tweetaristo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by onatisi(m): 8:12am On Mar 26, 2015
MadCow1:
OP,

Sorry about your experience. I have learnt that there isn't much you can do to influence your interview process. I have seen Visas given to the strangest of fellows and I have seen people with Visas to many European countries on their passports and good documents denied.

I believe it's a discretionary thing.

When I got my first UK Visa, I did not have most of my supporting documents with me as I had left them in the car in my haste. The interviewer just kept hammering on about my documents and I kept asking for 5 minutes to run out and go get them. After a while he just tells me to go finalist my payment and granted me a Visa.

I believe that they have a number of Visas to give out each day to new applicants and most times deny people just for the hell of it.
best answer to the op dilemma .if the case was as the op narrated ,the lady just didn't want to give him .

2 Likes

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by GboyegaD(m): 8:13am On Mar 26, 2015
peeta4u:
you must av travelled out of u country within d last five years b4 u wld b granted. Even if na ghana( fake or original).

This your lie no good ooo. Abi you be VO?
Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by 27naira(m): 8:14am On Mar 26, 2015
buyresellng1:
A time is coming when you won't need a visa to visit that country...

Dream on!

@OP,

Based on their own assessments and yardstick, your income cannot support a family of 3 and other "frivolities" like vacationing!

You will need more than a quarter of your annual income for flights and commute alone. Other misc. expenses have not been factored in as well.. it just doesnt seem right.
Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by dustydee: 8:14am On Mar 26, 2015
justwise:

You are denied because:

You are married with a kid, earning 180k a month and ready to spend more than that in two weeks just to visit your cousin.

The reason for spending that much in just two weeks does not make any sense.

Period! I was lazy to type this when I read the transcript. The applicant cannot afford the trip based on her earnings.
Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by dROC1: 8:17am On Mar 26, 2015
onatisi:
best answer to the op dilemma .if the case was as the op narrated ,the lady just didn't want to give him .

Not true ! The OP would have been denied by any VO on duty that day as he missed 5 essential criteria, his chances were slim to none. UK and US processes are definitely not the same.
Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by justwise(m): 8:18am On Mar 26, 2015
ifyalways:

I disagree sir!

Traveling to at least 2 of those countries will boost his travel history, believe it or not.

Travel history for anyone below 40 going on " tourist visa" is a BIG deal. If you are a tourist, you are expected to start from your immediate environment.

Not really....every frequent traveler started from a single trip. You are given a visa because you are qualified at that time....in that case your travel history does not count.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by Nobody: 8:19am On Mar 26, 2015
They call us developing nation.still we pay higher fees to travel to their country.Nigeria just see western countries as heaven on earth.

1 Like

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by onatisi(m): 8:20am On Mar 26, 2015
dROC1:

Not true ! The OP would have been denied by any VO on duty that day as he missed 5 essential criteria, his chances were slim to none. UK and US processes are definitely not the same.
what criteria did he miss ?
Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by Acidosis(m): 8:21am On Mar 26, 2015
You have a decent job paying close to N200k/monthly.

Why do you want to burn your ANNUAL salary on a 3 week vacation to the US? What have you done; and where are you vacating to?

Will your 3 week visit to the US add to your CV? or increase your Salary in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by richard870(m): 8:23am On Mar 26, 2015
EroticAngelina:
lmao! eyha! sorry swiri.
countries like usa, canada, london, spain etc hardly accept nigerians.
tip: nxt time u wanna apply 4 visa again, tell ur cousin over there 2 send an invitation letter. if u get it and show the visa ppl, ur chances of getting visa are higher wink

Says who?....btw 'London' is a city in England.Pls get your facts right.Thank you!
Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by PontiffMaximus: 8:25am On Mar 26, 2015
here is your fault.
you have a wife and a kid and you are leaving them for two weeks to go visit just a cousin?
its funny to the whites. you have to think like the white in order to bypass them.
in their mind they would be thinking why don't you go with your kid and wife! since you earn 180k a month.
why abandon them to take a jiving trip..

1 Like

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by samuelmath50(m): 8:25am On Mar 26, 2015
Wow dis kind of big experience from you guys now I understand how to travel abroad
Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by justwise(m): 8:26am On Mar 26, 2015
dustydee:

Period! I was lazy to type this when I read the transcript. The applicant cannot afford the trip based on her earnings.

Simple! He is a Nigerian, no govt support, ready to spend about 2months of his salary just in two weeks to see a cousin? How about his wife and kid? Their well-being in Nigeria is more important than wasting that money in two weeks....if he earns twice that amount then great.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by justi4jesu(f): 8:26am On Mar 26, 2015
SamConquer:
#smiles.....but here in Naija, anything goes,anybody can just come in anytime.afterall we need them.they call them foreign investors

Not true, do you know how much foreigners pay to get Nigerian Visa to visit/work in Nigeria. I have seen so if you haven't seen, try not to conclude on what you are not sure about. Its your country so you would think it ain't didfficult, same way an American would think it isn't difficult to get a visit visa to visit his/her country.

1 Like

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by Nobody: 8:26am On Mar 26, 2015
AlphaGentMan:
Lol..u sound experienced.. Travelled b4?
yeah

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Texas Man Dancing On Top Of A Moving Truck Dies After Hitting Overpass (Photos) / Lady Trapped Under A Container That Fell On Her In Lagos (Graphic Pics) / Man Survives After His Car Ran Under A Truck In Abuja (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.