Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,858 members, 7,810,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:37 AM

A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) (81646 Views)

Woman Finds Strange Snake-like Creature In Her Garden / Bush Dog Killed In Our Fish Farm This Morning / What Is The Name Of This Creature ? Is It A Baby Snake? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by orlaryhincah(m): 10:58pm On Mar 25, 2015
This creature was spotted among 2 others during school hours today at Jubilee Model, Surulere. Unfortunately for it, it was killed by the students of the school though the other 2 ran away but this very one was unlucky. I wouldn't believe this not until I got the picture, though said it won't die easily after being stoned and all so it took and elderly man to use a knife on it. Not surprise cause it's a Cat family, is it true they have 9 lives?

4 Likes 9 Shares

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Nobody: 11:05pm On Mar 25, 2015
dude dat thing looks lyk a hyena or coyote and not a leopard

60 Likes

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Zaikon(m): 11:06pm On Mar 25, 2015
@ op wia dem from?
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Nobody: 11:07pm On Mar 25, 2015
YORUBA PEOPLE CALL IT "OBE" MEANING "SOUP"

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by orlaryhincah(m): 11:13pm On Mar 25, 2015
danyel09:
dude dat thing looks lyk a hyena or coyote and not a leopard
Take a good look @ it's head

4 Likes

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by toyeoye(m): 11:13pm On Mar 25, 2015
Nobody with business sense for that gathering? Even the teachers should know better than kill this innocent creature. They went to call baba to slaughter the poor thing. Smh

17 Likes

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Nobody: 11:20pm On Mar 25, 2015
orlaryhincah:

actually its a hyna

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by ginawest(f): 11:22pm On Mar 25, 2015
rip to the dead

54 Likes 5 Shares

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by jamex93(m): 11:46pm On Mar 25, 2015
that school management needs to b carefully cateful

1 Like

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Nobody: 11:50pm On Mar 25, 2015
it can be anything really, was jxt giving my opinion
orlaryhincah:

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by KingTom(m): 1:51am On Mar 26, 2015
toyeoye:
Nobody with business sense for that gathering? Even the teachers should know better than kill this innocent creature. They went to call baba to slaughter the poor thing. Smh
Endangering our Leopard species cry

13 Likes

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by 19naia(m): 4:24am On Mar 26, 2015
That may be an Ocelot, Its a rare type of dwarf leopard..But its coat pattern is more like a Civet... I could be a rare african Civet.. They never get very big, so that one in the photo may be almost an adult... They are not dangerous to people and should not be killed because of fear...We Need Education of people to know that they are not deadly and that they are the ones in danger of extinction because of people...

Oyan is the name of a type of west african Civet.. This may be the Oyan or related, it has a banded tail and spots somewhat like this one..
They extract musk from them to use in perfume.. Its also known as African Linsang Civet..

227 Likes 18 Shares

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by kekakuz(m): 5:45am On Mar 26, 2015
how can you and your teachers call this a leopard
is this the change fashola is talking about

52 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by orlaryhincah(m): 6:47am On Mar 26, 2015
19naia:
That may be an Ocelot, Its a rare type of dwarf leopard..But its coat pattern is more like a Civet... I could be a rare african Civet.. They never get very big, so that one in the photo may be almost an adult... They are not dangerous to people and should not be killed because of fear...We Need Education of people to know that they are not deadly and that they are the ones in danger of extinction because of people...

Oyan is the name of a type of west african Civet.. This may be the Oyan or related, it has a banded tail and spots somewhat like this one..
They extract musk from them to use in perfume.. Its also known as African Linsang Civet..
Pls share some picz

2 Likes

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by orlaryhincah(m): 6:50am On Mar 26, 2015
kekakuz:
how can you and your teachers call this a leopard
is this the change fashola is talking about
If u know better u should have acted matured just like the poster above u, u don't have to act s:lly. Please take note.

29 Likes

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by 19naia(m): 7:07am On Mar 26, 2015
orlaryhincah:

Pls share some picz

They are not all the same hair and spot patterns.. Some are diffferent spot and stripe patterns while others have a different posture..
The one OP put is not showing exact coat match except for one picture i found is somewhat a match... It mst be a rare one they killed.. I am glad that two escaped to continue the species...

43 Likes 6 Shares

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by 19naia(m): 7:13am On Mar 26, 2015
orlaryhincah:

Pls share some picz

Some others.
They dont come in one coat pattern like leopards and tigers.. These things have varied coat patterns.. Like I said, the one in OP's picture has a unique pattern that is not in any photos online.. Thats why not to kill them, that one may be a rare unclassified species or type.. It's body and tail is very much like most Civets, but it could be a rare kind that needs to be preserved. It may even be something else like and Ocelot, but the body and tail matches mostly Civet like in these photos.... I looked at Ocelot and it doesnt match them...
Dont Kill these things people of Naija, they may even be undiscovered species if not endangered rare species...

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by 19naia(m): 7:17am On Mar 26, 2015
CIVETS They are somewhat omnivores, they will eat meat,insects and also fruits and vegetables... Maybe they were hungry trying to eat some Yam or rice cookng nearby.. There is one called a palm civet.. Maybe there is palm oil plantation near by and they are there feeding on palm oil fruit or other type of plam tree fruits?
If its Surulere jubilee model school, then it looks like they followed the canals water way from the bush areas and then crossed the expressway into the school area because there is open space safe haven from the bustling city... Nothing there for them to eat except people's rubbish, insects, lizards and rats...

They can live the same life of a cat and even more.. They are nocturnal and so they do all their movements at night when the area is not so busy with traffic keeping them from crossing the expressways through the city... Thats why they are rarely seen, they move at night and easliy mistaken for a house cat in the dark shadows.. They climb anything very well...
In North america we have the Racoon, it would be in the same distant relative category, simlar to a cat but not the same species.. They have Civets in Asia and they sell a type of costly coffee in Vietnam,called Civet coffee.. The civets eat the coffee berries and excrete the seeds whole and intact, then the coffee makers take the excrement of whole coffee seeds and use them to make highly prized coffee selling for a very expensive price... The digestion by the civets must impart a desirable flavor or super health tonic qualities...?

[url][/url]https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0SO8xHrnxNVW5MAmtHBGOd_;_ylu=X3oDMTB0MmpkMGczBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkA1RQUkRRMV8x?_adv_prop=image&fr=ipad&sz=all&va=african+civets

38 Likes 5 Shares

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by orlaryhincah(m): 8:11am On Mar 26, 2015
19naia:

They are not all the same hair and spot patterns.. Some are diffferent spot and stripe patterns while others have a different posture..
The one OP put is not showing exact coat match except for one picture i found is somewhat a match... It mst be a rare one they killed.. I am glad that two escaped to continue the species...
Thanks bro, am convinced now it's a civet

14 Likes

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by 5p1naz(m): 9:20am On Mar 26, 2015
Chai
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Sweetguy25: 9:20am On Mar 26, 2015
Heartless people

7 Likes

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by pekeyim: 9:20am On Mar 26, 2015
Na knife dem use hmmmmmmm
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by martincbarton: 9:21am On Mar 26, 2015
Hyena?
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by ichidodo: 9:21am On Mar 26, 2015
What silly plonkers to harm a nearly extinct carnivore?!...That creature should have been named Leo ichidodo after our humble selves and these villagers f**ked it up..

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by fpeter(f): 9:21am On Mar 26, 2015
why dem kill am?

2 Likes

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Bonapart(m): 9:21am On Mar 26, 2015
Waris dis...
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by snowland(m): 9:21am On Mar 26, 2015
Free meat for the bois
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Jelo4kul(m): 9:21am On Mar 26, 2015
I hope its not one of those Bokoharam thugs waiting to devour one of our little kids at school.. Keep on catching Leopards until Jonathan wins next Tomorrow .

Said Jonathan

3 Likes

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Nobody: 9:21am On Mar 26, 2015
These are rare animals that we ought to save from extinction & make millions of naira from wildlife enclosure or animal reservation.

I could remember during the 90s' in the north,we had a whole lot of wild animals you could think of....But now,hardly you see em again,all because of an ignorant govt that has refused to invest in tourism.

Most African country's wildlife reserve are been aired on animal documentaries like Natgeo Wild,because they(govt) made provisions for it,which has created employments & put up such countries on the world map.

5 Likes

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by blayz0923: 9:22am On Mar 26, 2015
Civet Cat....

2 Likes

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Mogidi: 9:22am On Mar 26, 2015
When I saw the frontpage of Leopard and Lagos I immediately thought of Tinubu, the leopard with different spots for different occasions. grin grin

16 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Cattle, Ram & Goat Fattening, My Strategy As Additional Income Means / This Onions Farmer Has Made It In Life (Pictured) / Quality Packaging For Your Rice,flour,animal Feeds,garri,fertilizer,cement Etc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.