Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,869 members, 7,817,566 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:31 PM

A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) (81705 Views)

Woman Finds Strange Snake-like Creature In Her Garden / Bush Dog Killed In Our Fish Farm This Morning / What Is The Name Of This Creature ? Is It A Baby Snake? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Dekatron(m): 9:39am On Mar 26, 2015
BabaO2:

Learn by checking for yourself, that is what university is supposed to be
so, its bad to ask. Guess you are google or walking encyclopedia. You sound uneducated bro.

1 Like

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Nobody: 9:39am On Mar 26, 2015
danyel09:
it can be anything really, was jxt giving my opinion
it can't be a leopard. Doesn't look like it.
Op,how was it caught? Cos u can't catch a leopard like that,they are damn fast
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Patented: 9:39am On Mar 26, 2015
This is not a hyena or a leopard its most likely one of the many species of the serval wildcat. Yes i meant "SERVAL" u can google it. Small cats dt eat mostly small mammals. Largely harmless to humans. Just surprised to hear that they werefound in Lere and theyare mostly nocturnal.

1 Like

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Abduletudaye(m): 9:40am On Mar 26, 2015
danyel09:
dude dat thing looks lyk a hyena or coyote and not a leopard

I haven't seen a cayote spotted this way...and its definitely not a hyena.

Its a Lynxxx.
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Damikevin(m): 9:40am On Mar 26, 2015
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_civet
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by toprealman: 9:42am On Mar 26, 2015
danyel09:
'LEOPARD-LIKE' HE SAID.
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by watered(m): 9:42am On Mar 26, 2015
danyel09:
Bros, spotted hyenas don't have long tails. At least I've visited Yankari Game reserve, Jos Zoo and Jos wild life park to see these animals for myself.
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by smartmom(f): 9:43am On Mar 26, 2015
19naia:
CIVETS They are somewhat omnivores, they will eat meat,insects and also fruits and vegetables... Maybe they were hungry trying to eat some Yam or rice cookng nearby.. There is one called a palm civet.. Maybe there is palm oil plantation near by and they are there feeding on palm oil fruit or other type of plam tree fruits?
If its Surulere jubilee model school, then it looks like they followed the canals water way from the bush areas and then crossed the expressway into the school area because there is open space safe haven from the bustling city... Nothing there for them to eat except people's rubbish, insects, lizards and rats...

They can live the same life of a cat and even more.. They are nocturnal and so they do all their movements at night when the area is not so busy with traffic keeping them from crossing the expressways through the city... Thats why they are rarely seen, they move at night and easliy mistaken for a house cat in the dark shadows.. They climb anything very well...
In North america we have the Racoon, it would be in the same distant relative category, simlar to a cat but not the same species.. They have Civets in Asia and they sell a type of costly coffee in Vietnam,called Civet coffee.. The civets eat the coffee berries and excrete the seeds whole and intact, then the coffee makers take the excrement of whole coffee seeds and use them to make highly prized coffee selling for a very expensive price... The digestion by the civets must impart a desirable flavor or super health tonic qualities...?

[url][/url]https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0SO8xHrnxNVW5MAmtHBGOd_;_ylu=X3oDMTB0MmpkMGczBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkA1RQUkRRMV8x?_adv_prop=image&fr=ipad&sz=all&

va=african+civets

Most insightful and educative info. Kudos! and thanks for the info on Civet coffee, at least now I know to avoid that brand of coffee eewww pooed coffee bean angry flavor indeed, no thanks I will pass!

1 Like

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Setaje(f): 9:43am On Mar 26, 2015
19naia:
That may be an Ocelot, Its a rare type of dwarf leopard..But its coat pattern is more like a Civet... I could be a rare african Civet.. They never get very big, so that one in the photo may be almost an adult... They are not dangerous to people and should not be killed because of fear...We Need Education of people to know that they are not deadly and that they are the ones in danger of extinction because of people...

Oyan is the name of a type of west african Civet.. This may be the Oyan or related, it has a banded tail and spots somewhat like this one..
They extract musk from them to use in perfume.. Its also known as African Linsang Civet..

Who says education and enlightenment is not important. I am convinced that this is Africa's greatest problem. Feel so bad that the harmless animal was killed for nothing. Omase ooo sad

Thanks for the info

9 Likes

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by firetrap(m): 9:43am On Mar 26, 2015
its actually not a civet but its a genet which is closely related to the civet and also the ocelot.

3 Likes

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by ChildofChukwu(m): 9:43am On Mar 26, 2015
ginawest:
rip to the dead

Indeed! grin grin grin
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Jeezuzpick(m): 9:44am On Mar 26, 2015
This why I love Nairaland.

You can learn a lot if you will just open your minds.

The trolls and e-rats tho embarassed

4 Likes

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Abduletudaye(m): 9:44am On Mar 26, 2015
Wow...its a Civet! Very rare indeed...thanks to @19naia for education me.. smiley

1 Like

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by BabaO2: 9:45am On Mar 26, 2015
Dekatron:
so, its bad to ask. Guess you are google or walking encyclopedia. You sound uneducated bro.
The person you asked, is he going to draw it for you limited ode?, he has already downloaded google output for you, oya start scooping it into your mouth.

2 Likes

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by watered(m): 9:45am On Mar 26, 2015
19naia:
That may be an Ocelot, Its a rare type of dwarf leopard..But its coat pattern is more like a Civet... I could be a rare african Civet.. They never get very big, so that one in the photo may be almost an adult... They are not dangerous to people and should not be killed because of fear...We Need Education of people to know that they are not deadly and that they are the ones in danger of extinction because of people...

Oyan is the name of a type of west african Civet.. This may be the Oyan or related, it has a banded tail and spots somewhat like this one..
They extract musk from them to use in perfume.. Its also known as African Linsang Civet..
You are learned and I so much like your approach to this post. God bless you so much sir.

2 Likes

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by zemaye: 9:47am On Mar 26, 2015
Watch Nageowild no its African nonsense magic they will be watching now simple Civet is called leopard.
Africa! Chai poor creature
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by smartmom(f): 9:48am On Mar 26, 2015
19naia:
CIVETS They are somewhat omnivores, they will eat meat,insects and also fruits and vegetables... Maybe they were hungry trying to eat some Yam or rice cookng nearby.. There is one called a palm civet.. Maybe there is palm oil plantation near by and they are there feeding on palm oil fruit or other type of plam tree fruits?
If its Surulere jubilee model school, then it looks like they followed the canals water way from the bush areas and then crossed the expressway into the school area because there is open space safe haven from the bustling city... Nothing there for them to eat except people's rubbish, insects, lizards and rats...

They can live the same life of a cat and even more.. They are nocturnal and so they do all their movements at night when the area is not so busy with traffic keeping them from crossing the expressways through the city... Thats why they are rarely seen, they move at night and easliy mistaken for a house cat in the dark shadows.. They climb anything very well...
In North america we have the Racoon, it would be in the same distant relative category, simlar to a cat but not the same species.. They have Civets in Asia and they sell a type of costly coffee in Vietnam,called Civet coffee.. The civets eat the coffee berries and excrete the seeds whole and intact, then the coffee makers take the excrement of whole coffee seeds and use them to make highly prized coffee selling for a very expensive price... The digestion by the civets must impart a desirable flavor or super health tonic qualities...?

[url][/url]https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0SO8xHrnxNVW5MAmtHBGOd_;_ylu=X3oDMTB0MmpkMGczBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkA1RQUkRRMV8x?_adv_prop=image&fr=ipad&sz=all&
va=african+civets

Most insightful and educative info. Kudos! and thanks for the info on Civet coffee, at least now I know to avoid that brand of coffee eewww pooed coffee bean angry flavor indeed, no thanks I will pass!
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by obinna311(m): 9:49am On Mar 26, 2015
Those pple dat are giving d creature all kinds of names ehn na wa for dem oh..some jst dey browse google for d animal..dey cm dey deceive us lyk say na dem knw book pass...its doesn't mata wat kinda creature it is, I tink d teachers or students did d right thing by killing it coz dat tin no be lyk animal wey no dey chop human body oh

WISDOM!!!
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Nobody: 9:49am On Mar 26, 2015
19naia:

Are you a zoologist?
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by stigman(m): 9:51am On Mar 26, 2015
kaycii1:

actually its a hyna

Ur village hyna abi

1 Like

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by loomer: 9:53am On Mar 26, 2015
As long as no be dog, cat, rat or lizard, a typical Nigerian go kill any other funny looking animal.

1 Like

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by folahann(m): 9:54am On Mar 26, 2015
This is bush meat that I see here.
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by arimahoseloka(m): 9:55am On Mar 26, 2015
Nigerians and their illiterate mentality. must u kill everything? rubbish!

2 Likes

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by decountof(m): 9:56am On Mar 26, 2015
19naia:

thats why i suggest people should watch NATGEO WILD...they cant keep kill animals they have not seen because they are scared....some of these animals are not dangerous....please protect the planet

3 Likes

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by queridasally(f): 9:56am On Mar 26, 2015
19naia:

please, what did u study in school?. Not seen anyone widely informed in this sort.
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by shomutuski(m): 9:57am On Mar 26, 2015
danyel09:
It's absolutely not an hyena or a coyote... Hyenas are known to have a short not spotted tail and big head.. Even the hind limb of an hyena is shorter than the fore limb to provide endurance when running. For the coyote, they are known to look like fox, wolf or any other animal in the dog family. This one has no big ears like that of the coyote and elongated snout.
This is absolutely not aa coyote.
VERDICT: it's either an animal from the class of wolverine or tasmanian tiger OR it's an animal unknown and has grown undeterred where competition for survival is minimal.

Note: the first picture is that of an hyena, you can see the absence of a short tail and a big head compared to the one u talked of and the lower hind limb.

The other of the coyote looking like a wolf which this animal is far from and the big ears and elongated snout... Thanks
Culled FUNAAB Zoo.

1 Like

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by tolulinks(m): 9:58am On Mar 26, 2015
it's the Common genet.
#teamAnimalScience
thank me now!
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Nobody: 10:00am On Mar 26, 2015
danyel09:
ITS CALLED A CEVET CAT.

HARMLESS CREATURE REALLY.
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Shekemba(m): 10:00am On Mar 26, 2015
This is a wild cat called Ologboko in Yoruba language. It is a domestic cat that has gone rouge or wild. No Leopard in Lagos environ.
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by firetrap(m): 10:02am On Mar 26, 2015
tolulinks:
it's the Common genet.
#teamAnimalScience
thank me now!

if you read back a few comments, you'd see that I already said that it is a genet

1 Like

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by SHOCK7(m): 10:02am On Mar 26, 2015
orlaryhincah:

Take a good look @ it's head
u're very wrong, it's in d coyote FAM.
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by iamord(m): 10:03am On Mar 26, 2015
orlaryhincah:
This creature was spotted among 2 others during school hours today at Jubilee Model, Surulere. Unfortunately for it, it was killed by the students of the school though the other 2 ran away but this very one was unlucky. I wouldn't believe this not until I got the picture, though said it won't die easily after being stoned and all so it took and elderly man to use a knife on it. Not surprise cause it's a Cat family, is it true they have 9 lives?

Na WA ooooo!!! Is it everything you see you must kill This animal looks like an endangered specie sad

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Cattle, Ram & Goat Fattening, My Strategy As Additional Income Means / This Onions Farmer Has Made It In Life (Pictured) / Quality Packaging For Your Rice,flour,animal Feeds,garri,fertilizer,cement Etc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.