Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,142 members, 7,821,896 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:09 PM

A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) (81733 Views)

Woman Finds Strange Snake-like Creature In Her Garden / Bush Dog Killed In Our Fish Farm This Morning / What Is The Name Of This Creature ? Is It A Baby Snake? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Dreyl(m): 10:34am On Mar 26, 2015
19naia:
That may be an Ocelot, Its a rare type of dwarf leopard..But its coat pattern is more like a Civet... I could be a rare african Civet.. They never get very big, so that one in the photo may be almost an adult... They are not dangerous to people and should not be killed because of fear...We Need Education of people to know that they are not deadly and that they are the ones in danger of extinction because of people...

Oyan is the name of a type of west african Civet.. This may be the Oyan or related, it has a banded tail and spots somewhat like this one..
They extract musk from them to use in perfume.. Its also known as African Linsang Civet..
WORD!

1 Like

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Dunsin89(m): 10:34am On Mar 26, 2015
The people that killed the animal or call it a Leopard ought not to be blamed. How will they no whether it is dangerous to humans or not? What if it doesn't attack Adults but attack minors? To be at the safer side, what has been done to it is good. If no be say death dey smell for the animal head sef, why he go mis-waka?

1 Like

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by chyket(m): 10:35am On Mar 26, 2015
This is a very difficult situation because i am sure that when those creatures were sighted today,the first thing that came to everybody's mind will be a creeping fear! and then imaginations will go wild on what will happen if any of the students is attacked and killed.At that point,nobody will remember anything about extinction etc Everybody will just be on survival mode.
I personally believe that there is need to preserve rare species of animals etc but i also feel that when we are not sure of what an animal is,to be on the safe side we need to kill them first.A human life is worth more than an animal anytime anywhere.

1 Like

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by cupidoliver(m): 10:35am On Mar 26, 2015
it's a civet

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by SHOCK7(m): 10:41am On Mar 26, 2015
fpeter:
why dem kill am?
Datz d way of ignorant naija people!
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Craigston: 10:42am On Mar 26, 2015
It's sad how we fail to protect these species. Even the dangerous ones act, sometimes, out of fear or hunger. That's how my three cats got killed because some old mule labeled them evil. And I was dismayed when, on a rainy day, a young cat was killed for taking shelter from the rain near someone's shop. The helpless kitten, apparently driven from it's natural habitat by our harmful development, found no refuge among humans. I wish to protect these species. I've seen more than six cats killed in their innocence in the name of development.

2 Likes

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by delishpot: 10:43am On Mar 26, 2015
African golden cat. Thanks to google
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by firetrap(m): 10:44am On Mar 26, 2015
delishpot:
African golden cat. Thanks to google

this one don come again. how does this pictured animal resemble the African golden cat. soon somebody will post here that its the "Nigerian spotted monkey"

1 Like

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by SHOCK7(m): 10:45am On Mar 26, 2015
19naia:

They are not all the same hair and spot patterns.. Some are diffferent spot and stripe patterns while others have a different posture..
The one OP put is not showing exact coat match except for one picture i found is somewhat a match... It mst be a rare one they killed.. I am glad that two escaped to continue the species...
Good knowledge

1 Like

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by babytoun: 10:45am On Mar 26, 2015
toyeoye:
Nobody with business sense for that gathering? Even the teachers should know better than kill this innocent creature. They went to call baba to slaughter the poor thing. Smh

common sense is higher than business sense. safety first, only the living can do business, dont risk your life trying to make money.

1 Like

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by delishpot: 10:45am On Mar 26, 2015
firetrap:

this one don come again.

http://bigcatswildcats.com/african-golden-cat/

No be me talk am nau undecided
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Optimist1(m): 10:45am On Mar 26, 2015
ginawest:
rip to the dead

it's a meat that everyone can eat so why the rip?
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by SirBlack999(m): 10:47am On Mar 26, 2015
Daylight witch.
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Nobody: 10:48am On Mar 26, 2015
ginawest:
rip to the dead

u serious so? grin grin
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by danjalingo: 10:51am On Mar 26, 2015
toyeoye:
Nobody with business sense for that gathering? Even the teachers should know better than kill this innocent creature. They went to call baba to slaughter the poor thing. Smh

you go go catch the other two now, business man.

1 Like

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Krasid(m): 10:51am On Mar 26, 2015
It's a shame that we don't know the difference between a civet and a leopard.I am not surprised though, some schools don't even know the difference between a dolphin and a penguin.

5 Likes

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by NobleG1(m): 10:52am On Mar 26, 2015
orlaryhincah:
This creature was spotted among 2 others during school hours today at Jubilee Model, Surulere. Unfortunately for it, it was killed by the students of the school though the other 2 ran away but this very one was unlucky. I wouldn't believe this not until I got the picture, though said it won't die easily after being stoned and all so it took and elderly man to use a knife on it. Not surprise cause it's a Cat family, is it true they have 9 lives?

It is called Ring-tailed lemur

1 Like

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by danjalingo: 10:53am On Mar 26, 2015
SHOCK7:

e remain 2, you no hear?
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by bondingman: 10:55am On Mar 26, 2015
who's seen tinubu lately

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by stonecoldcafe: 10:56am On Mar 26, 2015
BabaO2:
we killed it too

Where did u kill yours? Truth be said, if isee this thing, it would freak me out!
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Dekatron(m): 10:57am On Mar 26, 2015
BabaO2:

The person you asked, is he going to draw it for you limited ode?, he has already downloaded google output for you, oya start scooping it into your mouth.
well,google or not, can you beat what he said?
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by firetrap(m): 10:57am On Mar 26, 2015
NobleG1:

It is called Ring-tailed lemur

oga lemur's are mostly found on the island nation of Madagascar.

1 Like

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by kelobestline(m): 10:59am On Mar 26, 2015
heeeee to this murderer! There's God oOoooooo
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Nobody: 11:02am On Mar 26, 2015
ginawest:
rip to the dead

Hahaha!! U got me cracked up chooi some nairalanders sha
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by RottenTomato: 11:04am On Mar 26, 2015
KingTom:
Mumu na you no gree learn, no be hyena be that? Fox ke Fuckss ni grin
Why u dey insult me na? Did I insult u? Don't let me type things that I have been trying to avoid! Am just trying to be of my best behaviour!!!
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Nobody: 11:08am On Mar 26, 2015
SHOCK7:

What would u do if u saw an animal like this in a residential area?

1 Like

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by ChynoBEATS: 11:10am On Mar 26, 2015
danyel09:
dude dat thing looks lyk a hyena or coyote and not a leopard

Cayote's dont have such dotted markings nither does an hyena of that age do........

It looks more lyk an ocelot cat ...

Ah! It's a civet O.........choi!..........it's a relative of the skunk
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by sandrahnaub(f): 11:10am On Mar 26, 2015
Dat a civet
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by saxomo6(m): 11:12am On Mar 26, 2015
Why kill it. Black man

2 Likes

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by laykhorn(m): 11:15am On Mar 26, 2015
19naia, thanks for the enlightenment you've done on this thread.

3 Likes

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by bewla(m): 11:22am On Mar 26, 2015
that thing for good for zoooooooooooo o
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by BabaO2: 11:23am On Mar 26, 2015
stonecoldcafe:

Where did u kill yours? Truth be said, if isee this thing, it would freak me out!
Magodo

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Cattle, Ram & Goat Fattening, My Strategy As Additional Income Means / This Onions Farmer Has Made It In Life (Pictured) / Quality Packaging For Your Rice,flour,animal Feeds,garri,fertilizer,cement Etc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.