Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,824 members, 7,817,407 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:44 AM

A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) - Agriculture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) (81702 Views)

Woman Finds Strange Snake-like Creature In Her Garden / Bush Dog Killed In Our Fish Farm This Morning / What Is The Name Of This Creature ? Is It A Baby Snake? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by supereagle(m): 2:44pm On Mar 26, 2015
vickerz:
YORUBA PEOPLE CALL IT "OBE" MEANING "SOUP"

YORUBA PEOPLE CALL IT" IJAKUMO" Igbo call it Nkita Oha (Bush DoG)
A jackal or Civet in English
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by KingTom(m): 2:48pm On Mar 26, 2015
RottenTomato:
Why u dey insult me na? Did I insult u? Don't let me type things that I have been trying to avoid! Am just trying to be of my best behaviour!!!
You said when they say learn una no go hear, that is an insult!
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by kennygee18(m): 3:03pm On Mar 26, 2015
This was exactly what was killed in uniben behind the auditorium last year during the matriculation event. I think we will be seeing more of it soon. Please let's save wild animals and not kill them. My view!
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by ayyoshert: 3:20pm On Mar 26, 2015
This is a Genet, a civet cat has a wider jaw and and much bigger in size.
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by no2fuks(m): 3:23pm On Mar 26, 2015
snowland:
Free meat for the bois

na wetin start ebola ignorant ppl jus won chop everything.

1 Like

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by hermesprogidy(m): 3:27pm On Mar 26, 2015
That's an Ocelot... am sure those silly kids would have been told it's probably a witch and were expecting it to turn human after they had killed it. Ignorance is a freaking disease angry angry
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by BraniacX(m): 3:30pm On Mar 26, 2015
danyel09:
dude dat thing looks lyk a hyena or coyote and not a leopard

Hyenas have massive jaws and no striped tails either, coyotes are not local to africa, not the first time am seeing this peculiar animal
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by cooljude(m): 3:30pm On Mar 26, 2015
19naia:

They are not all the same hair and spot patterns.. Some are diffferent spot and stripe patterns while others have a different posture..
The one OP put is not showing exact coat match except for one picture i found is somewhat a match... It mst be a rare one they killed.. I am glad that two escaped to continue the species...
Nice post but that is a genet, check the pics in wiki and see the similarity.

2 Likes

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by chidiandre(m): 3:30pm On Mar 26, 2015
this is a Andean mountain cat a small wild cat
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by umaryusuf(m): 3:40pm On Mar 26, 2015
They hv just killed a Civet, a endangered cat species.

1 Like

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by shegsrules(m): 4:40pm On Mar 26, 2015
that man's toe no b here ooooo cheesy
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Glamrock(f): 4:41pm On Mar 26, 2015
400billionman:

Baby hyena..

Weird looking one
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by 19naia(m): 4:45pm On Mar 26, 2015
cooljude:
Nice post but that is a genet, check the pics in wiki and see the similarity.

Yes you found a good candidate... The coat pattern matches the Genets more consistently.. Its amazing they are two different creatures but look so mch alike...
I wont be surprised if the Yahoo searched pictures of the Civets i posted, actually have Genets among them that have been mistaken as Civets.. At least one of the Civet pictures looks more like a Genet..

See Pics of the Genets i found

Thanks for the insight.. I searched for other options and nothing like Genet came up for me...

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by 19naia(m): 4:51pm On Mar 26, 2015
Justfollowit:

Are you a zoologist?

No, and as it may be, the creature OP put is likely a Genet which i did not know about.. But its still very related to the Civet.. I just have travelled and been to the south asian, amazon and african rain forest before. And i always check out information on the types of wildlife out there.. I too was once a jungle loving bush boy in Ondo state..

1 Like

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by steppin: 4:54pm On Mar 26, 2015
19naia:

No, and as it may be, the creature OP put is likely a Genet which i did not know about.. But its still very related to the Civet.. I just have travelled and been to the south asian, amazon and african rain forest before. And i always check out information on the types of wildlife out there.. I too was once a jungle loving bush boy in Ondo state..
Your first answer "ocleot", fits the animal in the picture.
I googled it and it fits.

1 Like

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by 19naia(m): 4:59pm On Mar 26, 2015
steppin:

Your first answer "ocleot", fits the animal in the picture.
I googled it and it fits.

Yes it looks so ,but Ocelot is Native to south and central america with some ranging into the lower hot climate reaches of North america... So they are not found in Africa... Thats in the Civet Family.. The coat pattern matches most closely the Genet...
I am living now in the Lower north american hot climate region where we have ocelots, mountain lions and other types of mid size to small size wildcats.. Not easy to see them, they are rare and very stealthy...
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by PACHRIS(m): 5:33pm On Mar 26, 2015
It is called oloorun in yoruba meaning something that smells due to its smell a wild cat family my brother hunter kill one yesterday
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Baroba(m): 5:44pm On Mar 26, 2015
400billionman:

Baby hyena..

Its no hyena, It looks like a Civet, a nocturnal cat like animal spread across West Africa.

There was no need killing it, these things are harmless
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by 400billionman: 5:48pm On Mar 26, 2015
Baroba:

Its no hyena, It looks like a Civet, a nocturnal cat like animal spread across West Africa.

There was no need killing it, these things are harmless

Did you peruse the two pictures I pasted ?

The dead baby cat and a live hyena picked from the net ?
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Mrdigitech(m): 6:22pm On Mar 26, 2015
@400billionman, lolz.....It's obvious you ain't familiar with animals, the same with 90% commenters on this thread. Why don't you Google a baby Hyena and a Genet, and make your comparison. ..My 2cents
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by xtervaganza(m): 6:35pm On Mar 26, 2015
kaycii1:

actually its a hyna
hyena is usually bigger than that
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by cooljude(m): 6:38pm On Mar 26, 2015
19naia:

Yes you found a good candidate... The coat pattern matches the Genets more consistently.. Its amazing they are two different creatures but look so mch alike...
I wont be surprised if the Yahoo searched pictures of the Civets i posted, actually have Genets among them that have been mistaken as Civets.. At least one of the Civet pictures looks more like a Genet..

See Pics of the Genets i found

Thanks for the insight.. I searched for other options and nothing like Genet came up for me...
The pics used by wikipedia is exactly the same with that one they killed. Somebody had stated it was Genet before myself.
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by 190theclown: 7:02pm On Mar 26, 2015
ewizard1:
All of you shouting... " Why dem kill am?"

Shebi you've checked the internet and found the animal is harmless, thats why you're talking.

You expect me to see a snake in my room and wait to find out if its harmless or not? jonzing people!

Why are people not killing goats, cats, dogs (even fierce ones) Simply because they know the kind of animal e be.

You expect me to see something like this not caged, and i should go near it?

If someone has gone near dis thing with a friendly approach and got killed, you same people will start shouting "Why shoulf he go close to such an animal, e resemble dog"

[size=48pt]ROTFL [/size]

2 Likes

Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by firestar(f): 7:10pm On Mar 26, 2015
19naia:
That may be an Ocelot, Its a rare type of dwarf leopard..But its coat pattern is more like a Civet... I could be a rare african Civet.. They never get very big, so that one in the photo may be almost an adult... They are not dangerous to people and should not be killed because of fear...We Need Education of people to know that they are not deadly and that they are the ones in danger of extinction because of people...

Oyan is the name of a type of west african Civet.. This may be the Oyan or related, it has a banded tail and spots somewhat like this one..
They extract musk from them to use in perfume.. Its also known as African Linsang Civet..
cool

These felines are as elusive as its larger spotted cousin(The jaguar).
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Yehman(m): 7:18pm On Mar 26, 2015
orlaryhincah:
This creature was spotted among 2 others during school hours today at Jubilee Model, Surulere. Unfortunately for it, it was killed by the students of the school though the other 2 ran away but this very one was unlucky. I wouldn't believe this not until I got the picture, though said it won't die easily after being stoned and all so it took and elderly man to use a knife on it. Not surprise cause it's a Cat family, is it true they have 9 lives?

Wow! We call it "Avu enu" in Igbo language. Dunno the English name. I swear, this is one of the best and swt bush meat u can ever eat. Pls, how do I get my own share I take God beg u
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by tolulinks(m): 7:30pm On Mar 26, 2015
[quote author=firetrap post=32016312]

if you read back a few comments, you'd see that I already said that it is a genet[/
who cares?
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Moheat(m): 7:53pm On Mar 26, 2015
orlaryhincah:
This creature was spotted among 2 others during school hours today at Jubilee Model, Surulere. Unfortunately for it, it was killed by the students of the school though the other 2 ran away but this very one was unlucky. I wouldn't believe this not until I got the picture, though said it won't die easily after being stoned and all so it took and elderly man to use a knife on it. Not surprise cause it's a Cat family, is it true they have 9 lives?

Nigerians killing their games! why not try to catch it alive and take it to the Zoo?.
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Nobody: 7:57pm On Mar 26, 2015
That's a raccoon
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by Kessleek(m): 8:18pm On Mar 26, 2015
firestar:
cool

Jaguars are not that elusive but they are solitary that's why they are hard to spot, especially around the amazonian basin.
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by logica(m): 8:22pm On Mar 26, 2015
firestar:
cool

They are NOT felines. They are NOT related to jaguar (so not cousins).
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by daveP(m): 8:23pm On Mar 26, 2015
KingTom:
Endangering our Leopard species cry
animal conservation. The school should be sued. We kinda have this mentality that once the animal/specie is nt common, then it is "Ee pa" you'l hear next.

It may be spiritual, who knows grin
Re: A Leopard-Like Creature Killed In A Public School In Lagos (Photos) by logica(m): 8:26pm On Mar 26, 2015
Difference between Civet and Genet:

http://www.africam.com/wildlife/genetorcivet

Educative.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Cattle, Ram & Goat Fattening, My Strategy As Additional Income Means / This Onions Farmer Has Made It In Life (Pictured) / Quality Packaging For Your Rice,flour,animal Feeds,garri,fertilizer,cement Etc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.