Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,975 members, 7,814,325 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:03 AM

How Shoki Song Cost Me My Job. - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Shoki Song Cost Me My Job. (44300 Views)

It Will Cost Me At Least N80k/Month To Make A Trip To My Npower-Teach Community / How My Hatred For Suits Almost Cost Me An Interview / My Job Hunts Today Hit 1100times I Have Been Applying For Jobs In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Shoki Song Cost Me My Job. by ifeomaekol(f): 12:15pm On Mar 26, 2015
Lol
Re: How Shoki Song Cost Me My Job. by miqos02(m): 12:18pm On Mar 26, 2015
christopher123:

No, the moral of the story is simple

BEWARE OF THE AMALA FACED PEOPLE...THEY ARE KILL JOY
no boss, if the phone had not ringed, the amala man may no had said anything all through
Re: How Shoki Song Cost Me My Job. by miqos02(m): 12:19pm On Mar 26, 2015
Naijasinglegirl:
why so bitter?
the truth is

BITTER
Re: How Shoki Song Cost Me My Job. by christopher123(m): 12:26pm On Mar 26, 2015
[quote author=miqos02 post=32021102]no boss, if the phone had not ringed, the amala man may no had said anything all through[/quote

no the amala man was waiting keenly to pounce on her, just like the way a lion wait keenly to pounce on the pray

the problem was that the amala man has the impression of sadist but she lost gaurd

lol

and also the amala man must have been an APC man so the girl was annoying him internally ...so if you can see

the AMALA FACED MAN IS A TERRIBLE MAN ...my simple deduction
Re: How Shoki Song Cost Me My Job. by Richy4(m): 12:26pm On Mar 26, 2015
Do not worry girl. Another opportunity will come.

Besides,What is the work of the receptionist? He/ she should have friendly reminded any one walking into the interview room to switch off their phones or put it in silence.
Re: How Shoki Song Cost Me My Job. by presh232: 12:31pm On Mar 26, 2015
Naijasinglegirl:
I made it to the final stage of the recruitment process of one multinational. The interview was for 9am at their Island office.
I can boldly say they were looking for candidates who had the virtue of patience because the interview didn't commence till 1pm.
Seated in the waiting room were 10 other candidates making us 11 altogether. They said it was 15 minutes for each candidate.
I noticed that each time a candidate came out of the interview room, the person had frustration written all over them. (The waiting room was a glass house so we could see those passing by)

I was curious on what sort of questions were being asked but interviewed candidates were not allowed back into the waiting room.
Candidate no5 was the worst hit. He was practically dragging his feet and nodding his head disappointedly as he walked past. I had to sneak out to meet him at the lobby. 
"Please, how was it?" I asked.
He just looked at me and said, "Oniranu. Very yeye man! How can they ask me the effect of cashless policy on naira devaluation just because I had a 2.1 in banking?" 
He said it was a 2-man panel and I should be wary of the dark skinned man who was the devil incarnate. Then he gave me his file jacket to hold briefly that he needed to locate their toilet urgently. He was probably purging cos I see no reason he could not hold on till he got home .
While I waited for him, the man that ushered us in caught me by the lobby. He was mad that I left the waiting room before I was called and instructed me to go into the interview room immediately even though I insisted it wasn't my turn yet.
I tucked no5 file jacket into my handbag and went in, hoping that I would be out by the time he returns from the toilet.

I recognised the alleged devil as soon as I got in.
"Please sit.", the light skinned man (LS) said while his devil colleague sized me up from feet to head. He didn't even respond when I greeted him.
After the usual, "can we meet you?", "what do you know about our company?'' "Why did you apply for this job?" questions of which I answered to the best of my knowledge , the LS man asked me, "Tell us what is happening in NIGERIA.'' All along I kept wishing the devil man will continue playing deaf and dumb till I was out.
I talked about the forthcoming  elections.
LS man was really jovial and I was pleased the interview was towing the way of a conversation with a friend. He told me he's pro PDP and asked which political party I belonged to. I'm in support of neither but the goal is to please your interviewer so I said I'm an avid supporter of PDP too.
"See my person o." He said excitedly. "You need to see what a PDP governor has done in my state."
"Which state Sir?"
"AkwaIbom."
"Oh Governor Akpabio. That man is awesome. He's totally transformed Uyo. Their stadium is a stunner!"
"Not just Uyo, everywhere in the state."
"I once bought a movie ticket for N100 at Silverbird Uyo, are tickets still sold that price?" I asked.
"I don't watch movies. So you've been to my town?"

I was trying to ensure our conversation does not cross our friendly threshold throughout the 15mins duration and by the time he realises I had tricked him into asking me frivolous questions, it will be too late to ask further questions except, "When can you resume?"
All along, the amala-faced man was staring at me like a wounded lion, patiently waiting for me to mess up. LoL. Suddenly, the sound of music filled the air.
"Shoki Shoki Shoki ah! Shoki Shoki Shoki ah! I'm looking for my..."

Both of them looked puzzled and the smile on the LS man face faded. I was confused as to where the music was coming from.
"Young lady, are you looking for a job or you're looking for shoki?" Devil finally spoke.
"Excuse me?" I asked.
The music began again.
"How dare you come into an interview room without switching off your phone!" He roared.
It then occurred to me that it was no5 phone ringing inside my bag. It had destabilised me and the atmosphere and I dug my right hand into my bag, searching  frantically for the power button of the phone.
"Just look at her Mr Eyibo! Look at her! All of them are the same!" Devil said as he slammed his hands on the table ferociously. Mr Eyibo was defenceless.
"I'm taking over from here!" Devil said authoritatively. "Young lady, what are you bringing into this company?"
"Ermmm..." I stuttered. Panic had made me dumb.
"Young lady, I say gauge your attributes and tell us your unique contributions to the growth and continued success of this company?"  He shook his head. "How will you demonstrate integrity and command respect in tough situations as a team member?"
I was just in my seat like, 'Sir, you can vex oh. Instead of you to just tell me there's no job.'
"Call the next person in." He said dismissively. The LS man had sorry written over his face . . .

No5 was full of apologies when I told him everything but the damage had already been done.
Dude currently sends me links of every vacancy he finds online as if that is enough compensation. Good thing he got a regret mail too or we would have been wearing one leg of trousers.
I'm still job hunting..

http://naijasinglegirl.com/how-shoki-song-cost-me-my-job/
I kn dat feeling...ahhhh
Re: How Shoki Song Cost Me My Job. by Naijasinglegirl: 12:46pm On Mar 26, 2015
Richy4:

Besides,What is the work of the receptionist? He/ she should have friendly reminded any one walking into the interview room to switch off their phones or put it in silence.
thank u
Re: How Shoki Song Cost Me My Job. by Reference(m): 12:49pm On Mar 26, 2015
loomer:
I must say, the devil pursuing u is in a Ferrari.

Hahaha. Una no go kill peson.
Re: How Shoki Song Cost Me My Job. by miqos02(m): 12:50pm On Mar 26, 2015
[quote author=christopher123 post=32021349][/quote]are u a tribalist?
just asking
Re: How Shoki Song Cost Me My Job. by maestroz: 12:53pm On Mar 26, 2015
Naijasinglegirl:
I made it to the final stage of the recruitment process of one multinational. The interview was for 9am at their Island office.
I can boldly say they were looking for candidates who had the virtue of patience because the interview didn't commence till 1pm.
Seated in the waiting room were 10 other candidates making us 11 altogether. They said it was 15 minutes for each candidate.
I noticed that each time a candidate came out of the interview room, the person had frustration written all over them. (The waiting room was a glass house so we could see those passing by)

I was curious on what sort of questions were being asked but interviewed candidates were not allowed back into the waiting room.
Candidate no5 was the worst hit. He was practically dragging his feet and nodding his head disappointedly as he walked past. I had to sneak out to meet him at the lobby. 
He just looked at me and said, "Oniranu. Very yeye man! How can they ask me the effect of cashless policy on naira devaluation just because I had a 2.1 in banking?" 
He said it was a 2-man panel and I should be wary of the dark skinned man who was the devil incarnate. Then he gave me his file jacket to hold briefly that he needed to locate their toilet urgently. He was probably purging cos I see no reason he could not hold on till he got home .
While I waited for him, the man that ushered us in caught me by the lobby. He was mad that I left the waiting room before I was called and instructed me to go into the interview room immediately even though I insisted it wasn't my turn yet.
I tucked no5 file jacket into my handbag and went in, hoping that I would be out by the time he returns from the toilet.

"Please sit.", the light skinned man (LS) said while his devil colleague sized me up from feet to head. He didn't even respond when I greeted him.
After the usual, "can we meet you?", "what do you know about our company?'' "Why did you apply for this job?" questions of which I answered to the best of my knowledge , the LS man asked me, "Tell us what is happening in NIGERIA.'' All along I kept wishing the devil man will continue playing deaf and dumb till I was out.
LS man was really jovial and I was pleased the interview was towing the way of a conversation with a friend. He told me he's pro PDP and asked which political party I belonged to. I'm in support of neither but the goal is to please your interviewer so I said I'm an avid supporter of PDP too.
"See my person o." He said excitedly. "You need to see what a PDP governor has done in my state."
"Which state Sir?"
"AkwaIbom."
"Oh Governor Akpabio. That man is awesome. He's totally transformed Uyo. Their stadium is a stunner!"
"I once bought a movie ticket for N100 at Silverbird Uyo, are tickets still sold that price?" I asked.

I was trying to ensure our conversation does not cross our friendly threshold throughout the 15mins duration and by the time he realises I had tricked him into asking me frivolous questions, it will be too late to ask further questions except, "When can you resume?"
All along, the amala-faced man was staring at me like a wounded lion, patiently waiting for me to mess up. LoL. Suddenly, the sound of music filled the air.

Both of them looked puzzled and the smile on the LS man face faded. I was confused as to where the music was coming from.
"Young lady, are you looking for a job or you're looking for shoki?" Devil finally spoke.
"Excuse me?" I asked.
The music began again.
"How dare you come into an interview room without switching off your phone!" He roared.
It then occurred to me that it was no5 phone ringing inside my bag. It had destabilised me and the atmosphere and I dug my right hand into my bag, searching  frantically for the power button of the phone.
"Just look at her Mr Eyibo! Look at her! All of them are the same!" Devil said as he slammed his hands on the table ferociously. Mr Eyibo was defenceless.
"I'm taking over from here!" Devil said authoritatively. "Young lady, what are you bringing into this company?"
"Young lady, I say gauge your attributes and tell us your unique contributions to the growth and continued success of this company?"  He shook his head. "How will you demonstrate integrity and command respect in tough situations as a team member?"
I was just in my seat like, 'Sir, you can vex oh. Instead of you to just tell me there's no job.'
"Call the next person in." He said dismissively. The LS man had sorry written over his face . . .

No5 was full of apologies when I told him everything but the damage had already been done.
Dude currently sends me links of every vacancy he finds online as if that is enough compensation. Good thing he got a regret mail too or we would have been wearing one leg of trousers.
I'm still job hunting..

i empathise with you. the ring tone was SHOKI(summary in yoruba). it only reminded you of the fact that you needed to summarize your interview as you had suddenly fallen in love with Akpabio's achievements and the interviewer's alleged card carrying membership of PDP
next time you hear SHOKI ki n SHOKI...let it ring into your ear that it means (Summarize make I summarize). the caller was only being helpful to you.
Re: How Shoki Song Cost Me My Job. by chrisviral(m): 12:57pm On Mar 26, 2015
chronique:
With the kind of humour this naijasinglegirl has got,if I had to pick a soul mate from a pool of ladies,she'd definitely come tops(provided she's pretty and has a good shape+heart). Chick is one lively and funny lady.

The most boring people on earth, are usually creative with a pen, damn more creative than the shouting extrovert.

I'm saying because I Know.
Re: How Shoki Song Cost Me My Job. by chrisviral(m): 12:58pm On Mar 26, 2015
I wouldn't be surprised if Nigeriansinglegirl is actually a shy girl in person

Wonderful writeup though, I enjoy ya blog.
Re: How Shoki Song Cost Me My Job. by LieDetector(m): 1:06pm On Mar 26, 2015
SimpleJetty:
In my opinion, you went off track when you took sides with him that you were a staunch PDP supporter. Your answer ought to have been you weren't into partisan politics but as a keen economic expert you keep close tab on economic issues and try to critically examine the various proposed economic policies and programs each party is bringing to the table if voted for into office.
That way, you've shown the interviewer you are focused and passionate about economic issues vis-a-vis it's relation to the fiscal policies of the nation's economy.
Though you felt taking sides with the interviewer to be a PDP fan would give you an edge but you got it all wrong.
Secondly, the interruption from the cell phone which rang disrupted your composition, but you ought to have get yourself back on track, take a deep breath and then say something positive when the dark skinned guy resumed with hostility geared towards putting you off the records. Even if you didn't pin-point his questions convincingly but it would have sustained the tempo and of course still put you in good light.
I penned this down so everyone here in similar situation can take a clue. Thanks.
*pecks*
Re: How Shoki Song Cost Me My Job. by LieDetector(m): 1:09pm On Mar 26, 2015
Richy4:

can't you spot a joke when you see one?
Re: How Shoki Song Cost Me My Job. by Maximus85(m): 1:12pm On Mar 26, 2015
toushiiinnnng
Re: How Shoki Song Cost Me My Job. by LieDetector(m): 1:13pm On Mar 26, 2015
chaz007:

Chinua Achebe, the story teller. Na so the file jacket wide reach wey fone fit enter am. Na so ur bag large reach wey the file jacket fit enter am. Na so the guy trust u reach wey he go hand u him file jacket and fone make u hold for am. Na so u fine reach wey them usher u inside even when it wasn't ur turn eh??!

Nice make up story. All in the name to make front page shey?! smiley
I can proudly say that I've got a second liedetector.
Re: How Shoki Song Cost Me My Job. by olareed(m): 1:16pm On Mar 26, 2015
Me: Lil kesh, aw far?...kesh: olareed kilon sele?...Me: skibo,kosi were...u sabi one naijasinglegirl wey dey NL?...kesh: wetin do am?...Me: she lose her job onto say her fone go dey play shoki for interview...kesh: gbese re o!...Me: and u knw say dis girl sabi write..aw u go take compensate am?...kesh: na true sha! Well,make I go reason her matter with badoo first..atleast make she dey write song for us...

Get your offer letter as the secretary to the ybnl nation soon...

1 Like

Re: How Shoki Song Cost Me My Job. by chronique(m): 1:38pm On Mar 26, 2015
Are you tryna say she is boring or what?
chrisviral:

The most boring people on earth, are usually creative with a pen, damn more creative than the shouting extrovert.

Re: How Shoki Song Cost Me My Job. by Gboliwe: 3:32pm On Mar 26, 2015
You make me laugh with your stories. grin grin grin You deserve a place in the comedy world.
Re: How Shoki Song Cost Me My Job. by uboma(m): 6:31pm On Mar 26, 2015
Naijasinglegirl:
Thank you.

You are welcome.

Keep it coming, the sky is just your starting point...
Re: How Shoki Song Cost Me My Job. by kubrat(f): 6:32pm On Mar 26, 2015
Naijasinglegirl:

"Which state Sir?"
"AkwaIbom."

"Excuse me?" I asked.
The music began again.

I'm still job hunting..

the job was not meant to be yours,forget shoki
if its not shoki,it could be some trivial usual excuse.Havent u heard of a paying job without interview.
Re: How Shoki Song Cost Me My Job. by kikelomojessy(f): 6:53pm On Mar 26, 2015
I love all ur stories babe, am so happy and laugh hard wen u bring all dis ur natural events.

#smiles#
Re: How Shoki Song Cost Me My Job. by christopher123(m): 7:09pm On Mar 26, 2015
miqos02:
are u a tribalist?
just asking

No

It's the amala faced man is the sadistic man
Re: How Shoki Song Cost Me My Job. by Nobody: 7:20pm On Mar 26, 2015
Lol !! U funny die.

I wish U all d best next time
#following @naijasinglegirl
Re: How Shoki Song Cost Me My Job. by Akinrogun(m): 7:56pm On Mar 26, 2015
chrisviral:

confirm.......100%
Re: How Shoki Song Cost Me My Job. by octopusfreaky(f): 8:16pm On Mar 26, 2015
I love your write-up....short sentences and well organised.
Re: How Shoki Song Cost Me My Job. by obstead200(m): 8:29pm On Mar 26, 2015
Chai!!!

Naijasinglegirl is just too funny.

Me thinks she shud not bother job hunting when she has d skills of a stand up comedian. She cud be d next basket mouth
Re: How Shoki Song Cost Me My Job. by isacolukay(m): 8:39pm On Mar 26, 2015
EggovinMma:
cheesy

These your hips na #2die4
Re: How Shoki Song Cost Me My Job. by Nobody: 9:18pm On Mar 26, 2015
isacolukay:

These your hips na #2die4

Thanks.
Re: How Shoki Song Cost Me My Job. by chrisviral(m): 9:44pm On Mar 26, 2015
Akinrogun:

confirm.......100%

Most folks don't know.
Re: How Shoki Song Cost Me My Job. by tosynomolara(f): 10:04pm On Mar 26, 2015
Lolz......No5 no get fault nau,na u go do amebo & na d reward b dat

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Can I Download The Nigeria Police Force Recruitment Form? / My Story: How I bought a car from my Income on freelancer.com / 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.