Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,184 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:45 PM

Is It Right For A Married Woman To Be Dressing In Front Of Her Younger Brother? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Right For A Married Woman To Be Dressing In Front Of Her Younger Brother? (57073 Views)

Man Trying To Sleep With A Married Woman In Bayelsa Caught Pants Down (Pics) / "Sex On The First Date Led To This For Me" -Recently Married Woman Reveals. PICS / My Younger Brother Wants To Marry At 24 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Right For A Married Woman To Be Dressing In Front Of Her Younger Brother? by PunkyOh(f): 7:58am On Mar 30, 2015
internetpirate:
Assuming it is your personal slang for your friends etc, do you think it's particularly intelligent/wise to use it in a public forum? Since you are so good in English and deliberately choose words at random! Part of English writing is the address to "audience" and one chooses words that are most appropriate to the audience. What you use for informal narratives is not the same with what you use for formal narratives!

Now, don't take this personal, but I just feel it's time to speak up on this growing trend on Nairaland! Someone writes atrocious English, and when corrected, the bandwagon descends on the critic, often suggesting that he/she should draw meaning from the mumbo-jumbo, instead of correcting the anomaly and setting a standard for intelligent discourse!

Why I am gravely worried by this trend is because I see it as a reflection of our Nigerian society where mediocrity, poor controls and lack of excellence are rife! We spend time chanting change, yet the change we truly need is a "mindset change"!!! Can we start aiming for the sky in all our endeavours?!!!
Can we start criticising our general performance through structured reviews so that lessons-learnt can reflect in improved performance

Cousin brother doesn't seem like a major faux pas (no matter how you try to burnish it!), but it is part of the canker worms that are eating at our national marrow!! My apologies my "cousin sister"!!

Sorry but I'll speak how I want. My English is nowhere near atrocious, I only used a word out of usuality, but doesn't mean I don't know its correct use. Call it a Freudian slip or whatever but don't you dare bundle me up with people who massacre the English language because I'm not one of them.

10 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Married Woman To Be Dressing In Front Of Her Younger Brother? by internetpirate: 8:47am On Mar 30, 2015
"Usuality" Certainly, you're not one of them!! I rest my case!!

PunkyOh:

Sorry but I'll speak how I want. My English is nowhere near atrocious, I only used a word out of usuality, but doesn't mean I don't know its correct use. Call it a Freudian slip or whatever but don't you dare bundle me up with people who massacre the English language because I'm not one of them.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right For A Married Woman To Be Dressing In Front Of Her Younger Brother? by PunkyOh(f): 8:49am On Mar 30, 2015
internetpirate:
"Usuality" Certainly, you're not one of them!! I rest my case!!

Yup, that's what I said, "usuality". Look it up.

5 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Married Woman To Be Dressing In Front Of Her Younger Brother? by YourCoffin: 9:10am On Mar 30, 2015
PunkyOh:

And '... its correct use'

You're definitely not one of them sha

8 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Married Woman To Be Dressing In Front Of Her Younger Brother? by PunkyOh(f): 9:29am On Mar 30, 2015
YourCoffin:

And '... its correct use'

You're definitely not one of them sha

Being sarcastic? No, I'm not one of them. This is not a board meeting, so I can be as informal or as incorrect as I damn well please. And, I don't need anyone's English lessons because I fare well without an interpreter in the real world. All Is dotted & all my Ts crossed.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right For A Married Woman To Be Dressing In Front Of Her Younger Brother? by pickabeau1: 9:37am On Mar 30, 2015
choi.. see English schooling

grin grin grin

11 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Married Woman To Be Dressing In Front Of Her Younger Brother? by kandiikane(m): 9:54am On Mar 30, 2015
PunkyOh:

Mine.
Good, for a min there, I thought you actually meant "our" culture, the culture that was walking around naked just few years back or the culture that has everyone sleeping in one room.
Re: Is It Right For A Married Woman To Be Dressing In Front Of Her Younger Brother? by PunkyOh(f): 10:05am On Mar 30, 2015
kandiikane:

Good, for a min there, I thought you actually meant "our" culture, the culture that was walking around naked just few years back or the culture that has everyone sleeping in one room.

I think these things depend on the family & of course culture. Where I'm from (South Africa) & with my people (Xhosa), age is very important. When a boy reaches a certain age, usually puberty, there are certain things or rules that are followed. As his sister, mother or whatever, you're supposed to give him some degree of respect since he is no longer a child. Meaning, you can't be parading naked infront of him & he is also expected to do the same. He should be dressed. It's a sign of respect according to the culture of the people.

8 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Married Woman To Be Dressing In Front Of Her Younger Brother? by internetpirate: 10:19am On Mar 30, 2015
Now, I will interject for the last time, and thereafter leave you to your folly! Essentially, the meaning of a word depends on the context in which it is used; however, words are used to reflect a meaning that is clear to the target audience! Other than that, you'd be rambling. An example is the word "gay"; this word actually meant "to be happy and joyous", but in an urban dictionary, it means to be a homosexual. So, if you say "I am feeling gay today" in 1920, you'd be conveying a pleasant image, but if you say you are feeling gay in 2015, your guess is as good as mine! Words are not just used for their face value or meaning!

In Nigerian urban english, there are some acceptable uses of words, and if that fails, please speak or write pidgin. I for one, believe that we should adopt pidgin as our lingua franca, because we all can speak it, it is rich, very descriptive and has a national spread of meaning.

Usuality is an archaic word, and not in common use. Thou art in motions that beggeth belief! (I hope you know all these are English words, and can be checked up too?)

PunkyOh:

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right For A Married Woman To Be Dressing In Front Of Her Younger Brother? by PunkyOh(f): 10:25am On Mar 30, 2015
internetpirate:
Now, I will interject for the last time, and thereafter leave you to your folly! Essentially, the meaning of a word depends on the context in which it is used; however, words are used to reflect a meaning that is clear to the target audience! Other than that, you'd be rambling. An example is the word "gay"; this word actually meant "to be happy and joyous", but in an urban dictionary, it means to be a homosexual. So, if you say I am feeling gay today in 1920, you'd be conveying a pleasant image, but if you say you are feeling gay in 2015, your guess is as good as mine! Words are not just used for their face value or meaning!

In Nigerian urban english, there are some acceptable uses of words, and if that fails, please speak or write pidgin. I for one, believe that we should adopt pidgin as our lingua franca, because we all can speak it, it is rich, very descriptive and has a national spread of meaning.

Usuality is an archaic word, and not in common use. Thou art in motions that beggeth belief! (I hope you know all these are English words, and can be checked up too?)

Now I think it's ok for me to tell you that I don't give a damn. Will still write how I want regardless of whether you approve of my choice of words or not. It's your prerogative to be correct all the time, just don't expect me to do the same.

8 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Married Woman To Be Dressing In Front Of Her Younger Brother? by internetpirate: 10:49am On Mar 30, 2015
It's not about being right all the time; rather, it's about accepting correction. You correct me, and I correct you; and we'll get better through continuous improvement. Don't do the "GEJ move" of "I don't give a damn"! It backfired against him! Regards!

PunkyOh:

Now I think it's ok for me to tell you that I don't give a damn. Will still write how I want regardless of whether you approve of my choice of words or not. It's your prerogative to be correct all the time, just don't expect me to do the same.

7 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Married Woman To Be Dressing In Front Of Her Younger Brother? by PunkyOh(f): 11:37am On Mar 30, 2015
internetpirate:
It's not about being right all the time; rather, it's about accepting correction. You correct me, and I correct you; and we'll get better through continuous improvement. Don't do the "GEJ move" of "I don't give a damn"! It backfired against him! Regards!

I'm not accepting correction on a forum. Please. Like I said, I fare well without assistance over here in the real world, so any "help" from anyone in the virtual world of the internet, will be regarded with scorn. End of. Now leave me alone.

5 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Married Woman To Be Dressing In Front Of Her Younger Brother? by thorpido(m): 11:50am On Mar 30, 2015
^^^ All i see is pride.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Right For A Married Woman To Be Dressing In Front Of Her Younger Brother? by K9blunt(f): 11:58am On Mar 30, 2015
Its no big deal as they grew up together that way, but since you don't like it then stearnly tell her again how much you detest it and she should stop it, most especially when you are not around.
Re: Is It Right For A Married Woman To Be Dressing In Front Of Her Younger Brother? by oluwanoni: 1:11pm On Mar 30, 2015
Kini big deal undecided, oga e be like say u go get small anger issues, just info her to take it down a little...but in between while I and my sisters where growing, I can say I saw, they saw.....
Re: Is It Right For A Married Woman To Be Dressing In Front Of Her Younger Brother? by YourCoffin: 6:42pm On Mar 30, 2015
PunkyOh:

Being sarcastic? No, I'm not one of them. This is not a board meeting, so I can be as informal or as incorrect as I damn well please. And, I don't need anyone's English lessons because I fare well without an interpreter in the real world. All Is dotted & all my Ts crossed.

Don't mind me. I admire your tenacity...

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Married Woman To Be Dressing In Front Of Her Younger Brother? by ayaside(m): 1:59am On Mar 31, 2015
Everyone blaming the bro for no reason.You didn't tell us if you met your wife dressing up or just sitting,relaxed and discussing politics.If she was just sitting/relaxing and talking politics...The bro is okay.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Married Woman To Be Dressing In Front Of Her Younger Brother? by phabulux: 2:04am On Mar 31, 2015
internetpirate:
What an excuse for mediocrity! Naija must get better! Let's seek for excellence in all we do!

That's the white man's secret! No half-measures!!

See who dey correct person ... 'Let's seek for'

5 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Married Woman To Be Dressing In Front Of Her Younger Brother? by alobam1: 2:14am On Mar 31, 2015
zed7:
It may not be bad but since u nor like am, u nor like am. Simple.
Meanwhile I stopped my wife from going naked to her sisters room, when she came to visit us.
My reason is simple. I have paid for the body and I alone deserve the right to see it naked.

Broda.woman to woman naa,broda u bad gann ohh..Sebi Na her sister be that?You dey fear lesbanism?lol...there is god ohhh

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Married Woman To Be Dressing In Front Of Her Younger Brother? by Bhella5(m): 2:18am On Mar 31, 2015
phabulux:

Don't ridicule yasef hia o! He's correct make u rest.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right For A Married Woman To Be Dressing In Front Of Her Younger Brother? by mya1: 2:22am On Mar 31, 2015
It is wrong undecided
Married or not. A grown woman has no business undressing in front of a male ( except he's her lover, husband or doctor)

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Married Woman To Be Dressing In Front Of Her Younger Brother? by internetpirate: 2:23am On Mar 31, 2015
Bros, you're free to correct me if you know better...To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing wrong with what I wrote. Please send in the correction!

phabulux:

12 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Married Woman To Be Dressing In Front Of Her Younger Brother? by Nobody: 2:24am On Mar 31, 2015
ronald4lif:
Wrong!
Depends!
Re: Is It Right For A Married Woman To Be Dressing In Front Of Her Younger Brother? by akinladejo: 2:28am On Mar 31, 2015
No big deal in dat, grew up with my female cousins and they dressed in my presence back then. I got used to it to d extend that when I started dating a girl asked me to excuse her one day when she was about dressing up and felt embarrassed,cos I didn't see any special thing in it.
Re: Is It Right For A Married Woman To Be Dressing In Front Of Her Younger Brother? by phabulux: 2:29am On Mar 31, 2015
Bhella5:

Don't ridicule yasef hia o! He's correct make u rest.

Apparently, you're the one ridiculing yourself. You st.up.id-a.ss mofos can afford to visit nairaland, but, you can't spare a few megs for your education. If I were you, I'd seek to be lent a dictionary by my neighbour.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Married Woman To Be Dressing In Front Of Her Younger Brother? by Nobody: 2:33am On Mar 31, 2015
It runs in their blood. Blood is thicker than water, no shaking, she won't harm your wife. Note, they have seen each other wickedness before you met her. So, don't let that to bug you my guy. God bless your marriage.
Re: Is It Right For A Married Woman To Be Dressing In Front Of Her Younger Brother? by Nobody: 2:34am On Mar 31, 2015
PunkyOh:
It's wrong. No respect.

My cousin brother is two years younger but he'll get out of the house if anyone (female) is about to take a bath. In our culture privacy is very important, just like I can't just enter his room without knocking 1st.

Cousin is a distance relation. @OP is talking about his wife's younger brother and I don't see anything wrong in the brother seeing her sister's body.

mya1:
It is wrong undecided
Married or not. A grown woman has no business undressing in front of a male ( except he's her lover, husband or doctor)

Read the write up again before commenting, please. The male here is the woman's brother !
Re: Is It Right For A Married Woman To Be Dressing In Front Of Her Younger Brother? by Nobody: 2:35am On Mar 31, 2015
internetpirate:
Assuming it is your personal slang for your friends etc, do you think it's particularly intelligent/wise to use it in a public forum? Since you are so good in English and deliberately choose words at random! Part of English writing is the address to "audience" and one chooses words that are most appropriate to the audience. What you use for informal narratives is not the same with what you use for formal narratives!

Now, don't take this personal, but I just feel it's time to speak up on this growing trend on Nairaland! Someone writes atrocious English, and when corrected, the bandwagon descends on the critic, often suggesting that he/she should draw meaning from the mumbo-jumbo, instead of correcting the anomaly and setting a standard for intelligent discourse!

Why I am gravely worried by this trend is because I see it as a reflection of our Nigerian society where mediocrity, poor controls and lack of excellence are rife! We spend time chanting change, yet the change we truly need is a "mindset change"!!! Can we start aiming for the sky in all our endeavours?!!!
Can we start criticising our general performance through structured reviews so that lessons-learnt can reflect in improved performance

Cousin brother doesn't seem like a major faux pas (no matter how you try to burnish it!), but it is part of the canker worms that are eating at our national marrow!! My apologies my "cousin sister"!!

tell her bro, "change of mindset " truly is what we need. I hope she adheres to the advice than wallow in stuupity and don't get me started on the bandwagon. how can one think it's OK to be stuupid, foollish or mediocre just because another individual is?? we really got a long way to go.

6 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Married Woman To Be Dressing In Front Of Her Younger Brother? by phabulux: 2:38am On Mar 31, 2015
internetpirate:
Bros, you're free to correct me if you know better...To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing wrong with what I wrote. Please send in the correction!

If you don't understand that 'seek' means 'search for', then, your hopelessness is indefensible.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Married Woman To Be Dressing In Front Of Her Younger Brother? by hitleraldof(m): 2:39am On Mar 31, 2015
internetpirate:

abeg o..all dis long talk becus someone said cousin brother...okey o.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Married Woman To Be Dressing In Front Of Her Younger Brother? by Nobody: 2:42am On Mar 31, 2015
PunkyOh:

can you stop being stupiid and quit displaying your ignorance for a moment, just a moment?!?!? that's the crazy thing we see today. we have two types of people, the ones that learn from mistakes and takes corrections and the BRAINLESS TWIRPS, AIRHEADS and maybe in your case a bimbo (I.e if you are beautiful) that CAN'T learn even if they're paid to learn. Damn!!! someone take this one to the zoo

10 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Married Woman To Be Dressing In Front Of Her Younger Brother? by cococandy(f): 2:44am On Mar 31, 2015
phabulux:

grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Posters Warning A Husband Snatcher In Enugu Flood The Streets / UK: Mum Dies Suddenly While Cuddling Her Baby Girl, Leaving Doctors Baffled(Pix) / A Sample Of Bride Price In UGEP, Yakurr LGA Of Cross River State (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.