Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,145 members, 7,835,831 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:46 PM

Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? (10318 Views)

Our People Are So Bush And Uncultured...... Picture included / Why Do Nigerians Eat Bush Rat And Not House Rat? / Witness: Street Life In Lagos – A Film By Joe Loncraine [video] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by KarmaMod(f): 3:46am On Jan 27, 2009
Sisi Jinx:

The Int airport STINKS!!!!!! Jeeebus!!

True Dat. I just dont get why they wont get central air for the damn place. Once you land its like a bloody sauna, a sauna that reeks of BO  undecided
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Sauron1: 3:51am On Jan 27, 2009
Sisi Jinx:

Kaduna Tacky?? Alright have you really, really been to Lagos?? There is NO WAY anyone who has been to Lagos would consider Kaduna Tacky. I mean Lagos the Master of pretentiousness, the Alpha and Omega of Ostentatious, The land of name droppers, the dwelling place for uncouthness. . . Lagos the crowned prince of Tackiness!! Hail Lagos!!!! cheesy cheesy tongue

It is HOT, and i can't stand the army of flies in the city.
Loads of Mallams, spittle and billy-goats for ma liking.
How is Kaduna different from any Sabo in the South West??

stillwater:

Oh my, must you be so crass?

Look at this Camerounian talking. . . . . .Do u have light in ur village??
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by SisiJinx: 4:10am On Jan 27, 2009
davidylan:

Without Lagos KD would be another Niger Republic. Deal with it.  grin
You should be very grateful.

Puh-lease!! We have stuff too. . .We have Sugarcane, Groundnuts and the rams and goats you are making fun of. We are simple farm people, so trust me, we will definitely manage without your stinky ports and whatever.  cool cool cool cool

KarmaMod:

True Dat. I just dont get why they wont get central air for the damn place. Once you land its like a bloody sauna, a sauna that reeks of BO  undecided

Lmao! Do you remember the Seinfeld episode where they went to India? They captured the expression you have when you land in Lagos so well cheesy cheesy

~Sauron~:

It is HOT, and i can't stand the army of flies in the city.
Loads of Mallams, spittle and billy-goats for ma liking.
How is Kaduna different from any Sabo in the South West??

Have you ever been to Kaduna?  cry
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Sapphic: 6:46am On Jan 27, 2009
Jarus:

Why is it that anybody that has not been to Lagos is seen as uncivilized?
During service year in Sokoto, a guy told us that he had never been to Lagos(He lives in Kaduna) and people were just telling him ''How is that possible?''

So what's the fuss about Lagos?
Is Lagos that bad?
Is it true that if you have not been to or live in Lagos, you are not yet civilized?
Why do people respect/fear/feel inferior to anybody from Lagos?

When I first went to secondary school, I must admit that I was one of those who was flabbergasted that there were people who had never been to Lagos (OK that was ignorant, I know, but I was surprised that most people did not travel abroad for summer holidays [or had never even travelled period], so I found the Lagos thing amazing and it was not just me who thought so o. Almost everyone who lived in Lagos were the same. . . including the ones that came from other states but who lived in Lagos). And just like your Kaduna guy, people who had never been to Lagos were sometimes made fun of, especially when we had conversations of going to the beach, museum, National Theatre (which was in good order then) and you do not want to know that there are many people who do NOT know what a bridge looks like (bar maybe seeing films or books). The unwritten rule was if you were ignorant of the popular topic of conversation, hide your ignorance or at least do not display it in a manner that makes you look "bush". the truth is that those of us from Lagos generally spoke with nicer (or should I say milder) accents than people from "rural" Nigeria (those thick Igbotic accents and konk ara oke accents were the butt of many jokes, let's not talk abot those Calabar ones too). Even the TV stations too. Many people lived in states that had one or a maximum of two stations while Lagos people a standard 5 and quite a number had satellite to boot too (a marvel for many other people. This was in the 80s o).

There was an unwritten hierarchy in my school, the Lagos residents were top (the only group higher were those people who holidayed abroad), Yoruba girls were next interspersed with the Benin people, then the Ibo's and other minor group that were not part of the north e.g Cross Rivers, Warri etc and the northerners brought up the rear (and in those days no one wanted to know that some states were not Hausa, they were all referred to as Hausa, except those Yoruba speaking people from Kwara. Kids can be really cruel, for example when an Ibo girl who was not "mainstream" tried to break out of the mould by wearing something a little trendy, she was called "Okoro Feeling Funky" (or OFF), while a similar Hausa girl would be labelled "Funky Bororo" (Abeg if you are Ibo or Hausa don't bite my head off o, it was not me who came up with the phrases). Yoruba people who did not fit in were referred to as "Local" or "Village" girls. The thing is Lagos used to look so much better back then. No Okada wahala, the traffic lights worked, there were public pay phones which worked, roads were not bad and certainly no bloody okadas.

Back to the question, maybe people just feel that being the main cosmopolitan city in Nigeria, that most people must have had one reason or the other to go there or at least have a desire to see it. Who knows really, but I must say that the same applies here in the UK with London and Paris for France (well except you say you are from the South of France in which case you are loaded, but you'd still have been to Paris nevertheless).
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by egheleghe(m): 9:21am On Jan 27, 2009
@poster.it must have been long you came to nigeria.every city in nigeria is now nigerianised.even villages.in igboland people living in lagos are now treated with pity because they are believed to be suffering.nobody goes to lagos for holidays anymore.personaly i visit lagos only when i cannot be represented.the civilised cities in nigeria are now calabar and abuja.thats the dream destination of kids for holidays and sightseeing.owerri is also beautiful,mordern and civilised.every other nigerian city from benin to ibadan,aba,onitsha,kano,maiduguri,jos,abeokuta,warri,enugu and others are just like lagos.dirty in most parts with the decent area reserved for the rich.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Jarus(m): 10:19am On Jan 27, 2009
I grew up in Kwara, but live, work and now based in Lagos. Abuja is the next Nigerian city I wish to live in. I wish my company can post me there. I also wish to live in PH, at least for a year.
Kaduna is the Lagos of the north. I was there on official assigment last month. Not a bad place, but ''khaki no be leather, if e no be Lagos, e no fit be like Lagos''.

I like the type of work that involves transferring staff around, and if I have option here is my wish:
-Lagos: I'm currently in Lagos, but wish to try other places
-Kaduna: Spend one year there
-Kano:one year
-PH: One year
-and finally settle in [b]Abuja[/b]and flying to and from Lagos at will, maybe almost every weekend
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by spikedcylinder: 12:30pm On Jan 27, 2009
One thing is for sure, there is never a dull moment in Lagos.

I am tired of living here though, I have been begging to get transferred to Abeokuta to get away from all the bloody traffic, dust, smoke and nastiness.

Its less than an hour from Lagos and civilized enough to call home. My mother has been laughing at me but I say to her, ABEOKUTA, here I come. grin grin
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Sauron1: 12:55pm On Jan 27, 2009
Sapphic:

When I first went to secondary school, I must admit that I was one of those who was flabbergasted that there were people who had never been to Lagos (OK that was ignorant, I know, but I was surprised that most people did not travel abroad for summer holidays [or had never even travelled period], so I found the Lagos thing amazing and it was not just me who thought so o. Almost everyone who lived in Lagos were the same. . . including the ones that came from other states but who lived in Lagos). And just like your Kaduna guy, people who had never been to Lagos were sometimes made fun of, especially when we had conversations of going to the beach, museum, National Theatre (which was in good order then) and you do not want to know that there are many people who do NOT know what a bridge looks like (bar maybe seeing films or books). The unwritten rule was if you were ignorant of the popular topic of conversation, hide your ignorance or at least do not display it in a manner that makes you look "bush". the truth is that those of us from Lagos generally spoke with nicer (or should I say milder) accents than people from "rural" Nigeria (those thick Igbotic accents and konk ara oke accents were the butt of many jokes, let's not talk abot those Calabar ones too). Even the TV stations too. Many people lived in states that had one or a maximum of two stations while Lagos people a standard 5 and quite a number had satellite to boot too (a marvel for many other people. This was in the 80s o).

There was an unwritten hierarchy in my school, the Lagos residents were top (the only group higher were those people who holidayed abroad), Yoruba girls were next interspersed with the Benin people, then the Ibo's and other minor group that were not part of the north e.g Cross Rivers, Warri etc and the northerners brought up the rear (and in those days no one wanted to know that some states were not Hausa, they were all referred to as Hausa, except those Yoruba speaking people from Kwara. Kids can be really cruel, for example when an Ibo girl who was not "mainstream" tried to break out of the mould by wearing something a little trendy, she was called "Okoro Feeling Funky" (or OFF), while a similar Hausa girl would be labelled "Funky Bororo" (Abeg if you are Ibo or Hausa don't bite my head off o, it was not me who came up with the phrases). Yoruba people who did not fit in were referred to as "Local" or "Village" girls. The thing is Lagos used to look so much better back then. No Okada wahala, the traffic lights worked, there were public pay phones which worked, roads were not bad and certainly no bloody okadas.

Back to the question, maybe people just feel that being the main cosmopolitan city in Nigeria, that most people must have had one reason or the other to go there or at least have a desire to see it. Who knows really, but I must say that the same applies here in the UK with London and Paris for France (well except you say you are from the South of France in which case you are loaded, but you'd still have been to Paris nevertheless).

U have spoken well. grin cheesy
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Sapphic: 9:00pm On Jan 27, 2009
~Sauron~:

U have spoken well. grin cheesy

I am treating this as tongue-in-cheek, cos I detect sarcasm and with you though one is never sure, it is never an impossibility. undecided
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by SeanT21(f): 11:48pm On Jan 27, 2009
I find it interesting that nigerians love to live in big cities.This is the total opposite in Liberia.Liberians tend to run to smaller cities like Paynesville,Congo Town,ELWA,etc.Most only travel to Monrovia to shop and buy goods.Many People also work there but Lived in Smaller Cities.ex,My mother worked in Monrovia but lived in ELWA.When Civil Wars started,It usullay starts in Movrovia and every monrovians run to the smaller cities for protection.That is why i will never live in Monrovia.Monrovia is the Lagos of Liberia.Dirty,Nasty,Liters everywhere,Overpopulated and Smells like Shit.I hope Ellen Johnson clean that shit up.

Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by SeanT21(f): 11:50pm On Jan 27, 2009
***See how the cars are going in their own damn dirction in the above pic**

Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by allboyz(m): 1:57am On Jan 28, 2009
spikedcylinder:

One thing is for sure, there is never a dull moment in Lagos.

I am tired of living here though, I have been begging to get transferred to Abeokuta to get away from all the bloody traffic, dust, smoke and nastiness.

Its less than an hour from Lagos and civilized enough to call home. My mother has been laughing at me but I say to her, ABEOKUTA, here I come. grin grin

SpikedCylinder. . . ABEOKUTA . . .is a stress free,Beatiful and lovely place to live and rest/relax/unwind in. , i love it. , But still can't be compared to lagos.

the only problem with lagos is the over population on the limited infrastructure. . .traffic and security. . .

Men, Abeokuta. . .what a place. good roads,electricity,scenery views. . flowers and much more. . .
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by tRoOE(f): 2:44am On Jan 28, 2009
That Lagos wey ghetto full everywhere.
Oh really shocked shocked shocked shocked and how many places have you visited in Lagos before coming to that conclusion
@topic
Lagos is the place to be, the land of opportunity
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by BlackMamba(m): 2:45am On Jan 28, 2009
Sapphic:
When I first went to secondary school, I must admit that I was one of those who was flabbergasted that there were people who had never been to Lagos [sup](OK that was ignorant, I know, but I was surprised that most people did not travel abroad for summer holidays [or had never even travelled period]

Were you really that ignorant when you first went to secondary school?   Hopefully, you're now aware of the real reason why some Nigerians are able to do summer holidays abroad and live affluently Lagos.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by spoilt(f): 2:50am On Jan 28, 2009
Ive lived in cities all my life but ive about had it. The bustle, the adrenalin, the stress. Its beginning to drive me crazy. Soon i will move to a little known village in nigeria and live a simple life. Far from the maddening crowd! grin
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Ndipe(m): 2:53am On Jan 28, 2009
spoilt:

Ive lived in cities all my life but ive about had it. The bustle, the adrenalin, the stress. Its beginning to drive me crazy. Soon i will move to a little known village in nigeria and live a simple life. Far from the maddening crowd!  grin

I definitely agree with you on that. Mine is that, I have a strong desire to relocate to Nigeria to live in my village after years of living in high stress California. When I say so, some people are just amazed. I definitely dont want to live in Lagos, if I ever relocate to Nigeria. The stress is not worth it.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by femzy(m): 6:02am On Jan 28, 2009
eko ni ile, omo shyne ur eye shocked shocked
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by cvibe: 6:22am On Jan 28, 2009
@poster

Lagos is where people learn new ways of doing things they've been used to.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Treetop20(m): 6:54am On Jan 28, 2009
Lagos is too filthy and polluted.
i do not see the big deal in that at all
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Nobody: 7:59am On Jan 28, 2009
Don't mind all those razz non-Lagosians. . . . . .

They are the ones that get scammed in Lagos.
I once heard the story of a villager who was charged for staring at a skyscraper.
Lagos all the way. Non-Lagosians are dumber.

Lagos life is a civilized life?
What hope do nigerians have if even the educated see lagos life as a normal life?

Its only in nigeria that people openly boast and mistaken fraudulent and corrupt activities as sharpness. Its only in lagos that people boast of living in dirt, poverty, suffocation, driving like a madman, prostitution, being a tout, being unruly and barbaric. cry

I lived in lagos for several years and my family and friends are still amazed that i never got used to such a wasted life.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by showbobo(m): 8:00am On Jan 28, 2009
allboyz:

SpikedCylinder. . . ABEOKUTA . . .is a stress free,Beatiful and lovely place to live and rest/relax/unwind in. , i love it. , But still can't be compared to lagos.

the only problem with lagos is the over population on the limited infrastructure. . .traffic and security. . .

Men, Abeokuta. . .what a place. good roads,electricity,scenery views. . flowers and much more. . .
Are you kidding me Good electricity in Abeokuta?Do we now have two Abeokuta in Nigeria
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by bintab(f): 8:53am On Jan 28, 2009
Showbobo you are very correct o,i was wondering where in abeokuta had so much developed to warrant this praise,i worked at Sacred Heart Hospital for a year and was able to see almost every where that needs to be seen in Abeokuta and i was opportuned to visit again late last year and i did not see much change in short it was more of a disappointment with the look of things,the houses at Ibara where i used to live are now falling apart,it is just pathetic and forget about the infrastructures they are a far from good.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by ebogentle(m): 8:53am On Jan 28, 2009
Hmm, I remember envying Lagos and Lagosians back in the '80s when i was growing up in primary school. Incidentally, the first year i went to lagos was also the first year i went to Abj. 1991. I remember prefering Lagos since obviously Abj was just being born then. But now Mchw!

Anyways, let me ask Lagosians this. How many of you had the luxury of being able to wake up at 7 am in the morning, be freshened up,have your breakfast at home, have your parents drop you off at school and your parents still get to work before it's 8 am. Plus you mum comes for at 1pm, takes you home prepare lunch and returns to work before 2 pm.

Yeah, i believe you still get that today in Minna where i grew up.
Lagos? Dont even get me started here.

Someone said something about Accents. Well, i got got news for y'all lagosians and this is very true cos i went to a high school that had equal national spread (equal number studenst every year per state in Nigeria) and of course a lot of them lived or grew up in Lagos whether they were from there or not. What am i talking about Well , the swapping of the "h" consonant with vowels. A good example is a very good friend of mine who pronounces 'our house' as 'Hour ouse'. You want more, listen to Tony tetuila carefully. You hear stuff like 'heverybody say yes oooo!!'And trust me, a lot of you aint conscious of it but its true (but pls no misconceptions , i am not generalising oo). someone tell me if this makes any sense. I tender apologies in advance incase anyone is offended ok?
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by obynocom: 8:58am On Jan 28, 2009
Lagos is a place where people survive thru corrupt ways.
To me that is not civilization, it is madness and irresponsibility.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by spikedcylinder: 9:14am On Jan 28, 2009
allboyz:

I can't stand the traffic anymore. Have to get up at 5am if i want to get to work before 8. Doesn't make any sense. I'd rather pay rent in Abeokuta, get a generator if electricity is the problem and live a smoke-free, dust-free life.

If I need to be among the "hip hop" crowd of Lagos, its just one hour away.

Simple.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by obynocom: 9:22am On Jan 28, 2009
I agree with u ebogentle. Lagosians claim to be civilized but
their behaviours shows that they are ignorant illiterates
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by argent(f): 9:44am On Jan 28, 2009
I remember growing up in Abeokuta, was always dreaming of the day I will finally come to lagos. I felt Lagos was to the place to be and I had a lot of respect for my classmates in secondary school then ( they were actually behaving like Lagos was ''heaven''). When they now start talking about bar beach I would dream of the day I will enter Lagos. The first day I came to Lagos, disappointment is an understatement, I was unfortunate to go to oshodi that day; I saw like a sea of people and I was scared, I held on to the person I was following like a leech, to enter bus nko wahala (those buses dnt stop for you, you have to run and enter and you have to jump off the bus to alight too) lagos is a crazy place abeg.

Now that I work and live in Lagos, I will take Abeokuta over Lagos anyday anytime. Though I plan to move to abuja very soon. Please Lagos is not a place to live if u really want to live long.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by ohaechesi(m): 9:52am On Jan 28, 2009
na una sabi ooooooooo. As for me, Lagos will expose you and you stand a better chance to build your life. Well for those ones in the village, it is more adviseable they relocate to urban areas than wasting in the village.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Kx: 10:05am On Jan 28, 2009
The choice of a city is always individual.
For me,Lagos is a land of opportunity in terms of
networking,contact and much more.
It may not be like London or "Abuja"
but still i think Lagos is d place to be in naija.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Afam4eva(m): 10:28am On Jan 28, 2009
My Point is that the waelth should spread to other Nigerian cities and not just lagos and Abuja.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by crazylegs(m): 10:35am On Jan 28, 2009
Someone called lagos (VI to be specific), the most expensive slum in the world.

I like Lagos and enjoy going from time to time, but it gets tedious after a few days.

Too much noise and rushing about. Had to leave the house by 5am. Mad people everywhere.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by koko777(m): 10:40am On Jan 28, 2009
All u lasgidi haters, pls come 'n hv a feel for like a year for you to know wassup! Bet you'll be wiser 'n sharper. We are always on the move. lagos rocks! E ko oni baje o,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Do You Have An Accent? / List Of Tribes In Rivers State Nigeria / Argument: Are African Americans Their Own Ethnic Group? I Say Yes.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.