Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,261 members, 7,836,191 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:37 PM

Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? (10320 Views)

Our People Are So Bush And Uncultured...... Picture included / Why Do Nigerians Eat Bush Rat And Not House Rat? / Witness: Street Life In Lagos – A Film By Joe Loncraine [video] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by KarmaMod(f): 9:50pm On Jan 28, 2009
Career - 90% of Unilag graduates every year are planning to go for their masters abroad. Thats the idea dat the environment puts into u, and u think its d norm. Outside Lagos, 90% of the graduates are thinking about how to get a good job immediately after graduation. Thats an example of how growing up in Lagos, and attending Unilag can help push up ur career target.

Since when is being obsessed with getting "masters" aboard as opposed to getting a job IN THEIR COUNTRY a good thing?
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by server34(m): 10:28pm On Jan 28, 2009
The good thing is in taking your education a step higher, it isn't called obsession. It is a way you can become more specialized and learned in a field, and perform ur job better than you would have after graduation from University. Why abroad? The education is better. Any more questions Ma?
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by fs(f): 11:48pm On Jan 28, 2009
KarmaMod:

Since when is being obsessed with getting "masters" aboard as opposed to getting a job IN THEIR COUNTRY a good thing?

A number of people I know who went for their masters abroad (typically the UK), did go back home. So it's not like they are all not going back home to get a job.

Still, I think the points server made are not pros for Lagos. Server, you're basically saying it's a good thing to always want to "keep up with the Jones'?" It's good to want to do well in life and all that, but striving for something so you can say yours is better than the next person, I'm not sure about.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Sapphic: 12:10am On Jan 29, 2009
BlackMamba:

Were you really that ignorant when you first went to secondary school?  

Yes I was "that" ignorant. I was 10 and every single one of my primary school friends travelled on summer holidays. It was one of those things.

BlackMamba:

Hopefully, you're now aware of the real reason why some Nigerians are able to do summer holidays abroad and live affluently Lagos.

Don't know what you are alluding to, but 419 was not in operation back then (though there were other dishonest methods of making money I'll agree). However, everyone's (my mates and mine) parents worked hard and had good jobs. Back then I knew no one who's father was a "business man" (everyone I knew had parent's who had specific respected jobs/ job titles. Moreover, like my parents most of my friend's parents had lived and/or schooled in the UK back in the old days, and to be honest, you did not need a visa and the tickets were not that expensive (I recall that up until March 1992, a return ticket to London was N8,000.00 and this jumped to roughly one hundred thousand in April (or maybe May) of the same year. So back to your statement, there were many people who worked hard honestly and lived a good life too (and they owe no one an apology for having a good life and enjoying the fruits of their labour).

ebogentle:

Someone said something about Accents. Well, i got got news for y'all lagosians and this is very true cos i went to a high school that had equal national spread (equal number studenst every year per state in Nigeria) and of course a lot of them lived or grew up in Lagos whether they were from there or not. What am i talking about Well , the swapping of the "h" consonant with vowels. A good example is a very good friend of mine who pronounces 'our house' as 'Hour ouse'. You want more, listen to Tony tetuila carefully. You hear stuff like 'heverybody say yes oooo!!'And trust me, a lot of you aint conscious of it but its true (but pls no misconceptions , i am not generalising oo). someone tell me if this makes any sense. I tender apologies in advance incase anyone is offended ok?

This is usually known as the "H-Factor" problem and it has absolutely nothing to do with living in Lagos. It is a problem that is commonly found amongst [quite a number of "Yoruba" people. You will hardly (if ever) see Igbo people or Hausa people with the problem (e.g. Saying "ot" instead of "hot" (i.e. the H-Minus) Factor, or saying "heveryone" instead of "everyone" (i.e. the H-Plus factor)). Generally, as a whole, people who were brought up in Lagos usually have better accents than their relatives in other towns or villages (and from my experience this broadly applies to the Igbos, Yorubas, Calabar, and even the Hausas. I must however say that my observations is mainly with regards to the educated class o).
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by server34(m): 12:33am On Jan 29, 2009
fs:

Still, I think the points server made are not pros for Lagos. Server, you're basically saying it's a good thing to always want to "keep up with the Jones'?" It's good to want to do well in life and all that, but striving for something so you can say yours is better than the next person, I'm not sure about.

Nope! Am just saying living in Lagos takes ur perception of "doing well in life" higher. Am not sure wat u mean by "keeping up with the Jones", but if that means competition, then its a good thing because it kinda forces out ur best from within you.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by SisiJinx: 12:41am On Jan 29, 2009
Please who was it who said - The Measure of a City's Civilization in How Quickly and How often its citizens wanna get out of there? Hmmmm
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by palmwinez: 1:02am On Jan 29, 2009
server is right
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Sapphic: 1:18am On Jan 29, 2009
Sisi Jinx:

Please who was it who said - The Measure of a City's Civilization in How Quickly and How often its citizens wanna get out of there? Hmmmm

ROFLMAO. When you find out the fictional character, let me know.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Treetop20(m): 1:20am On Jan 29, 2009
Sisi Jinx:

Sisi jinx
cheesy
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Treetop20(m): 1:27am On Jan 29, 2009
Sisi Jinx:

So she just carried on with her Feerigi, Meeeliki talk, eh?

Tell me did she really hunderstand you when you spoke Henglish  or did you have Hexplain yourself Heverytime?

at the post you quoted
i do not think i have laughed so hard in my entire life before
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by KarmaMod(f): 1:48am On Jan 29, 2009
The good thing is in taking your education a step higher, it isn't called obsession. It is a way you can become more specialized and learned in a field, and perform ur job better than you would have after graduation from University.

Quite a number of them that despite traveling and what not still have no idea on what they are doing.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by KarmaMod(f): 1:52am On Jan 29, 2009

Lmoa. Me sef I not understand
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Treetop20(m): 1:56am On Jan 29, 2009
this post reminds me of "Jenifa"
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by otikpoko(m): 2:06am On Jan 29, 2009
@topic,no.Not being to lagos doesn't make one civilized or not.I have never been to lagos,and i don't feel inferior when i see a lagosian.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Nobody: 5:44am On Jan 29, 2009
Lagos is to Nigeria what New York is to America, Paris is to France, Milan is to Italy, and London is to the United Kingdom.

The truth is, Lagos (and Abuja) are far more developed, sophisticated, and refined than the rest of the country , by a VERY wide margin, so while having never been to Lagos does not make you uncivilized, it does make you glaringly "unaware".

And to everyone that thinks Lagos is not a big deal, I've got news for you. It is a big deal. It is the largest city in Nigeria, with Abuja it is one of our most modern, and with Abuja (again) it is the face we show the world. Abuja and Lagos are Nigeria's global cities, so I advise you to stop by when you get the chance. It's your country, why not explore it?
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by spikedcylinder: 7:59am On Jan 29, 2009
sugabelly:

Lagos is to Nigeria what New York is to America, Paris is to France, Milan is to Italy, and London is to the United Kingdom.

The truth is, Lagos (and Abuja) are far more developed, sophisticated, and refined than the rest of the country , by a VERY wide margin, so while having never been to Lagos does not make you uncivilized, it does make you glaringly "unaware".

And to everyone that thinks Lagos is not a big deal, I've got news for you. It is a big deal. It is the largest city in Nigeria, with Abuja it is one of our most modern, and with Abuja (again) it is the face we show the world. Abuja and Lagos are Nigeria's global cities, so I advise you to stop by when you get the chance. It's your country, why not explore it?

smiley smiley
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by otukpo(f): 8:51am On Jan 29, 2009
If i have my way, i wouldnt be living in Lagos.

I have spent my adult years in Lagos and dont agree with that civilization thingy.

There is so much madness, choas, stress, and lawlessness in Lagos.

I just pray everyday that something should take me out of Lagos to a peaceful and sane city.

It is just the job opportunities that give Lagos an edge.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Jarus(m): 9:53am On Jan 29, 2009
otikpoko:

I have never been to lagos
How old are you? If you are above 20, then don't say it out o!!!
Don't count the number of highrise when you come to Lagos oo grin

Just kidding
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by honeric01(m): 11:09am On Jan 29, 2009
Lagos is where you meet virtually different kind of people from Nigeria and the rest of the world, so that prepares you towards the world at large, Lagos is where you can learn about the rest of Nigeria without living the state through divers ethnic groups you find here.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Jarus(m): 11:51am On Jan 29, 2009
honeric01:

Lagos is where you meet virtually different kind of people from Nigeria and the rest of the world, so that prepares you towards the world at large, Lagos is where you can learn about the rest of Nigeria without living the state through divers ethnic groups you find here.
I agree. In Lagos, you can easily learn Hausa and Igbo even without going to the North or East.
I'm learning Hausa from the our gatemen and other hausa in my environment.
There are many Igbos in Lagos localities too(only that they speak pidgin, instead of their language)
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by kritikul(f): 12:14pm On Jan 29, 2009
So what's so special about a city where every nook and cranny oozes a terrible stench, drainage systems are filled with dirty water and all sorts of rubbish, people squat by the road side and defeacate into the gutters, passengers jump out of moving vehicles like hooligans, oh!! please spare me all this lagos craze. To me its a very dirty and lawless city. I NO FIT SHOUT!!!
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by honeric01(m): 12:48pm On Jan 29, 2009
Lagos is not for the lazy ones and the faint at heart,
Leave lagos for the bold and strong at heart.

Fashola said if you can't cope with lagos, Getta out!!!!!!!! grin
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by server34(m): 12:49pm On Jan 29, 2009
kritikul:

So what's so special about a city where every nook and cranny oozes a terrible stench, drainage systems are filled with dirty water and all sorts of rubbish, people squat by the road side and defeacate into the gutters, passengers jump out of moving vehicles like hooligans, oh!! please spare me all this lagos craze. To me its a very dirty and lawless city. I NO FIT SHOUT!!!

Am sure u haven't been to Lagos recently.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by honeric01(m): 1:07pm On Jan 29, 2009
Abeg ask her
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by spikedcylinder: 1:36pm On Jan 29, 2009
kritikul:

server34:

Am sure u haven't been to Lagos recently.
honeric01:

Abeg ask her

Really? What has changed from the things kritikul listed?
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by kokoye(m): 2:20pm On Jan 29, 2009
KarmaMod:

kokoye, Im confused, are you blaming Lagos for you sleeping with a family member and cheating on your girl that was overseas?

I listed like a million things I started doing in Lagos (most of which I obviously got over). How come you chose to only negatively dwell on those two?

I like you Karma. Dont be a troublemaker.

Enjoy the thread.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by honeric01(m): 2:34pm On Jan 29, 2009
spikedcylinder:

Really? What has changed from the things kritikul listed?

At least, let those who still think they have eyes look for themselves, I'm not a billboard.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by spikedcylinder: 2:44pm On Jan 29, 2009
If you are not a billboard, why were you negating her [kritikul] statement?
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Sauron1: 7:08pm On Jan 29, 2009
sugabelly:

Ibadan is the largest city in West Africa(and the dirtiest too).
Lagos is not a city. . . . .It is a state. Just because it's small in size people actually think it's a city but it's not.

I like Lagos and it's the only place i can stay in Nigeria.
Abuja will be too boring for someone like me. The social life in Abuja cannot be compared with Lagos by any means.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by hajifaty: 7:26pm On Jan 29, 2009
This is happeneing all over the world. For example here in China Shanghai is like paradise for chinese people. So not just only in Nigeria.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by kokoye(m): 7:40pm On Jan 29, 2009
~Sauron~:

Ibadan is the largest city in West Africa(and the dirtiest too).

Pains me to know that this is true - and unfortunately, the true indigenes of Ibadan do NOT want a change.

The same city that used to be a beauty to behold (the outskirts especially), with the first of almost everything in Africa - television station, stadium, university, etc.

Very sad.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by SisiJinx: 7:46pm On Jan 29, 2009
How can any city be dirtier than Lagos??!!

I'm sorry but that's just IMPOSSIBLE!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Do You Have An Accent? / List Of Tribes In Rivers State Nigeria / Argument: Are African Americans Their Own Ethnic Group? I Say Yes.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.