Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,826 members, 7,813,731 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:11 PM

Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? (10288 Views)

Our People Are So Bush And Uncultured...... Picture included / Why Do Nigerians Eat Bush Rat And Not House Rat? / Witness: Street Life In Lagos – A Film By Joe Loncraine [video] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by alex406(m): 10:41am On Jan 28, 2009
You guys now see the main reason why militants in Bayelsa are making it unbearable for the government,they develop capital states with their money and leave them with shit at home,no good roads,no clean water to drink.Lagos as popular as it is,also have its bad sides and i think the bad sides are even more than the good sides.Dirty and rugged,nasty people with different attitudes.UP LAGOS!!! grin
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Afam4eva(m): 11:13am On Jan 28, 2009
alex406:

You guys now see the main reason why militants in Bayelsa are making it unbearable for the government,they develop capital states with their money and leave them with shit at home,no good roads,no clean water to drink.Lagos as popular as it is,also have its bad sides and i think the bad sides are even more than the good sides.Dirty and rugged,nasty people with different attitudes.UP LAGOS!!! grin

That's my point, how can they take money from bayelsa to develop Abuja. Abuja is supposed to be left to develop on it's own, you don't just pack money to build a city, it should be a gradual process.
Why did'nt the united states use all the money in America to develop Washington DC.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by ladej(m): 11:22am On Jan 28, 2009
lagos is unique in its madness, nightlife and bustling business aura. i guess thats the main attraction. but like new york u can get severely disappointed if lagos is not paying your ass !
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by epot: 11:30am On Jan 28, 2009
It's a city filled with all sorts shades and kinds;and you have to be smart to live with its madness, buy i love it here.EKO 4 show
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by FBS: 11:32am On Jan 28, 2009
I think everything is in this statement: EKO NI LE.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by steve49ja(m): 11:39am On Jan 28, 2009
Men If you can survive in LAGOS you can survive anywhere in the world.
EKO ILE. ,  . .  you berra watch your side, Lagos City. . . .  oboy shyne ya eyesss wo egbe e
No berra place men!!

Dem se If pikin no get sense carry am come LAGOS if e no still get sense then e no go get sense again for live
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by darqly(m): 11:46am On Jan 28, 2009
I don't think civilized is the right term to use here, Infact, it's anything but civilization to be branded a Lagosian. True there are skycrapers, lovely structures, corporate headquarters and first-class entertainment facilities, but that's about it. On the contrary, I think its so damn simple to spot a Lagosian when he's outta Lagos. They talk HOT air; are ALWAYS in a hurry; try to be CUNNING in everything they engage in, no matter how minute and generally want to gain an edge over you.

If that defines civilization, what with ALL the filth they live in, then most of us would rather remain uncivilized. A land where there is no empathy, everyone tells you to shine your eye, you live in constant tension and apprehension, and breathe in humid pollution, CRAP!
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by ekoboy: 11:48am On Jan 28, 2009
Its strange the way people from Lagos tend to portray and brag about Lagos. I attended a school in the east and it always  amazed me how students from Lagos used to look on others as if they are less educated because they are not from Lagos. Its even more surprising because most of Lagos is actually a[b] slum[/b]. Anyway they will make u believe they all live on the island.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by adebaxton(m): 12:39pm On Jan 28, 2009
lagos go better
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by angelina08(f): 12:47pm On Jan 28, 2009
Yes that is true, in my village many people dream of going to Lagos as if it was America or UK, It is like they are dull or unsmart.

Any child born and brought up in Lagos is always difference from others.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Shinatu: 12:49pm On Jan 28, 2009
This topic is quite an interesting one.

I remember the 'Lagos girl'I met in my first year in Unilag, I was from Ibadan at that time.
She laughed at every Yoruba word I spoke because it was different from the
usual 'funky eko' Yoruba.

It did not bother her that the main reason I was speaking Yoruba to her in the first place was becuase she could not
make a single sentence in English (only), she was comfortable with the mixed funkinized lagos Yoruba and anyone who would not speak like that was an 'ara oko.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by heritage00(m): 12:58pm On Jan 28, 2009
I am a born and indigence of lagos state(AWORI BOY) and i am from the royal family of Isolo Kingdom, To be very honest,i think Lagos is the best place to to live in Nigeria,a land of Opportunity where you can easily make a good life,in Lagos you see people who can help you with some cash even if you are broke,come to other states in Nigeria apart from Abuja and some other states in Nigeria,I was in Ibadan and Ilorin some months ago and i got short of money,you find out that no one is ready to assist you with Just common 100 Naira,you hear them saying thats alot of money and where do you want them to get it from like you are asking for 5 thousand naira ? embarassed,
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by otokx(m): 1:01pm On Jan 28, 2009
Lagos has the good, the bad and the ugly sides.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Carlmax(m): 1:23pm On Jan 28, 2009
Most lagosians live false lives, they spend all their income on flashy lifestyles wit little or no savings or investment. I live in Benin city, and i prefer it 2 lagos.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Sauron1: 1:31pm On Jan 28, 2009
Sisi Jinx:

Have you ever been to Kaduna?  cry

THRICE @ Barnawa(GRA)  kiss

Sapphic:

I am treating this as tongue-in-cheek, cos I detect sarcasm and with you though one is never sure, it is never an impossibility. undecided

How much do u know me??

nuzo:

Lagos life is a civilized life?  
What hope do nigerians have if even the educated see lagos life as a normal life?

What is abnormal about Lagos??
U talk as if the residents of Lagos did not come from other parts of Nigeria.
Lagos reflects the total mixture of the Nigerian culture.

Its only in nigeria that people openly boast and mistaken fraudulent and corrupt activities as sharpness. Its only in lagos that people boast of living in dirt, poverty, suffocation, driving like a madman, prostitution, being a tout, being unruly and barbaric. cry

Thatz what makes Nigeria GREAT. The unpredictability is a THRILL. grin

I lived in lagos for several years and my family and friends are still amazed that i never got used to such a wasted life.

It depends on where you stay in Lagos. Many people in Lagos have not even experienced the ugly n bad side.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by dapsycool(m): 1:46pm On Jan 28, 2009
Eko o ni baje o! grin grin grin grin grin No Lagos, No Nigeria.  tongue tongue tongue
You haven´t lived in Lagos, u r dumber than dumb grin grin grin grin (just kidding tongue)
For all those saying shit about Lagos being a slum, u must be on cheap weed. I have not being there for sometime, but I know Fashola is doing magic.
Wait till u see correct transport system being implemented, BRT, Lagos rail; Train from cotonou via mile 2, water transport, abi na the pimped walk way, street lights, flowers ati be be lo, but remember to pay ya tax, to avoid deportation. Lagos Mega City, here we come!
By the time "Baba ni Governor wa" is done with pimping Lagos, those peeps from Peckham, London would be looked down upon by Lagosians.  grin grin grin grin
Move to Lagos b4 it´s too late,
I cant shout smiley smiley, just tell your jegudu jera Governors of other states, to save you from living in the 20´s in 2009.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by onlysose(m): 2:24pm On Jan 28, 2009
I was born and bred in kaduna but currently working as an internet engineer in victoria island. I Left for lagos after my graduation, on camp I found out that I was more exposed than most lagosians on NYSC camp. May it is because I spend most of my time on the Internet- I dont know. But I believe you can llive in kaduna, kano or Jos and be more exposed than a lagosian, it all depends on you.

I have come to understand that everyone staying in the west stays in lagos. IN ABU zaria most of my friends that claim they stay in lagos were no where to be found.

note
the nternet has made the world flat, flat in the sense that it doesnt matter where you are now physically, you can be more exposed than an American. Whether you are a Russian astronaut aloft in a spacecraft, a Bedouin tribesman in the desert with PDA/cell phone, or a Canadian work –at-home mother with her office in a spear bedroom, you will be able to connect with nearly anything or anybody anywhere. You will be able to participate in telephony, teleconferencing, telecommuting, teleshoping, telemedicine, tele-education, televoting and even telepsychotherapy not to mention a few
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by dapsycool(m): 2:37pm On Jan 28, 2009
onlysose:

I was born and bred in kaduna but currently working as an internet engineer in victoria island. I Left for lagos after my graduation, on camp I found out that I was more exposed than most lagosians on NYSC camp. May it is because I spend most of my time on the Internet- I dont know. But I believe you can llive in kaduna, kano or Jos and be more exposed than a lagosian, it all depends on you.

I have come to understand that everyone staying in the west stays in lagos. IN ABU zaria most of my friends that claim they stay in lagos were no where to be found.

note
the nternet has made the world flat, flat in the sense that it doesnt matter where you are now physically, you can be more exposed than an American. Whether you are a Russian astronaut aloft in a spacecraft, a Bedouin tribesman in the desert with PDA/cell phone, or a Canadian work –at-home mother with her office in a spear bedroom, you will be able to connect with nearly anything or anybody anywhere. You will be able to participate in telephony, teleconferencing, telecommuting, teleshoping, telemedicine, tele-education, televoting and even telepsychotherapy not to mention a few

More exposed than most Lagosians lol grin grin grin grin and if you wanna talk about Internet making you better, then you lost the battle. If not for MTN and co, browsing outside Lagos is a Joke, at the speed of 1kb per minute cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy.
Coming back to the internet, it can not make you 100% exposed, there are some things you gotta see or feel, to know the koko.
So Mr James, Lagos is the koko. cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by oluwdashmi(f): 2:39pm On Jan 28, 2009
@poster

Lagos is been mentioned every where cos the city is all about the Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Life in Lagos can be interesting atimes, can be boring, can be too demanding, can be so clean and lovely, can be stinky, can be annoying,

If you can live and in Lagos, then, there is no part of the world that you find yourself that will be strange to you cos Lagos would have prepared you for the city no matter how it looks like and how life may be there.

Talk about the way we rush bus--even when an empty bus arrives at a bus stop and finds 3 pple, we will rush to push ourselves apart cheesy. Talk about the way we queue for BRT and few buses wink wink--which you will find in some countries. Talk about how[b] pple earn their living, where they sleep[/b] shocked and still smile in the morning smiley. Talk about how traffic is already on the third mainland bridge at 5:30 am  shocked shocked(we wake at 4/4:30 to go to work). What about the c[b]ivilised way of snaching bags, picking pocket[/b] etc. How about the way we walk (as if someone is pursuing you).

What can't we say about this city!! Infact, words can't explain except with experience.

Indeed, Lagos is Lagos. Nothing more  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by fantacie(f): 2:42pm On Jan 28, 2009
i live  and work in Lagos but wish to relocate to a better,peaceful and less traffic area like Abuja. the stress and madness here is too much. i wake up before 5:am every morning to prepare for work just to beat the traffic and after close of work i spend 2-3 hours sumtimes on the road bf getting home for a journey dat shouldn't take more dan 20 minutes in a normal situation,so i have just few hour to rest my head to prepare for the next day.as a result of this i don't joke wit my weekends bc they r usually short, i hardly go out to catch some fun bc i would spend the whole wknd resting, what a life.

the one that makes me want to dissapear sumtimes is the noise from people's generator sets not to tok of the fumes which is dangerous to health, and so many other area which i can not touch here. it is only in Lagos that sumting belonging to u will fall and one alaye will quicky pick it up before u and request for money bf u he can release it, don't want to remember wat they did to me at sms.

fine there are opportunities in Lagos but that does not mean if ur not in Lagos ur not civilized. civilization ko, abeg make i hear word. rough city na the second name for Lagos.

A frnd of mine got transfered to Abuja, he told me he wakes up 7: am and still get to the office bf 8:am.the first time he came to Lagos after his transfer do u know wat he said to me? "i can't bliv i once live in this city(Lagos)" and i was like be dis one.

Lagos is for the strong like me lol
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Danoe(m): 3:08pm On Jan 28, 2009
Lagos may be a civilized place but not Civilization itself. Civilization is a process of innovation, invention and updated ideas on the development and sustainability of livelihood within a particular environment and Lagos is not a specification but it is generallized.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Danoe(m): 3:10pm On Jan 28, 2009
There are States in Nigeria presently that are more civilized than Lagos! environmentally!
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by alex406(m): 3:30pm On Jan 28, 2009
Danoe:

There are States in Nigeria presently that are more civilized than Lagos! environmentally!
calabar!
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by kokoye(m): 4:00pm On Jan 28, 2009
I grew up in Ibadan and used to be a good mama's boy all the way to college.

All these things below started when I moved to that your "useless" Lagos

- carry asawo on allen avenue / victorial island even though man get correct girls wey e dey mess with o.

- got my first car accident

- got robbed and hussled by area boys when my car broke down on the 3rd mainland bridge

- changed jobs in less than 2 weeks.  yup, easier to change jobs in lagos

- got to meets the movers and shakers of the country

- begin dey go niteclub only to find shags

- begin dey hang out with 419 men who were fronting for ministers / commisioners

- girls begin dey lie say them get belle for me. I no say na money dem dey find so I go give them

- got my own apartment

- noticed even 15 yr old girls were more sexually active than I was at 25 - since theyre parents were always at work or stuck in traffic

- had enough dough to move to lekki and still kept the flat on the mainland

- begin dey carrying different girl every night while I kept the precious one 'abroad'.

- saw nothing wrong in shagging my cousin

- begin dey think say Naija no good enough for me at the time - decided I had to go for my masters abroad.

- noticed you commanded respect in church when you were able to drop more dough.

- began to do internet dating for the fun of it

- began to park my car and take okada instead since it was faster at times.

- realised it was safer to let peace reign after youve been slapped or oppressed at times, if you value ur life. so, act like a mungun at times.

- realised I did not have to work at Radio O-Y-O afterall. I could do much better

- realised I could do without my parents and help them financially instead.

-----------------------------

Yea, Lagos is just like New york and it's up to you what you want to get out of it. Lagos will make you a stronger and much tougher person - if you survive it.

Other places can get you too comfortable and laid back - no pressure to improve ur status in life. Hopefully things have changed now.

Now that I am much older, been all over, I really cant stand that Lagos - but I know one still cant do without Lagos for business though,  Would love to have a ranch in my village with all the works - and like someone said, thank God for the internet: you can have your satelite tv and phone whereever.  And own a farm or something like it.

But thank God for Lagos o. It was good to me despite all the yamayama.

I grew up in Ibadan but I became a man in Lagos.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by fs(f): 4:55pm On Jan 28, 2009
I grew up in Lagos and have only been to 3 other states (Ogun, Oyo and Osun) and I think it's sad. My husband grew up in Ilorin, has been to many other states and also lived in Lagos. I wish I had that sort of background. I tend to make fun (not to their faces) of people here in the US that haven't been out of their state (and there are many of them, some haven't even been out of their towns), but I think for a country like the US, it IS kinda sad if you limit yourself to your own remote corner of your state. They have better transportation that should make it easier to see other places. In Nigeria, it's just what it is. If your parents and family members are all in one state, there are very limited reasons to go visit another, especially considering the hassles to get there.

At the end of the day, when we move back to Nigeria, we'll probably end up in Lagos. Why? It's what I'm used to, that's where my friends/family are, that's where THE jobs are. Also, there aren't that many other cities to choose from and I'm not inclined to live in a rural area. I do wish there were more developed industries in different cities like we have here so people would be more dispersed all over the place.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by chipet(m): 6:39pm On Jan 28, 2009
I was born in Anambra state and moved to Lagos at the age of 11,i got exposed in Lagos,it was there dat i get to know about phone,computer,internet,games,musics,sport,etc. Lagos makes you stronger than strong, more exposed,inspired and enlightened. Up Eko,up Gov. Fashola,Mega city 4 life.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by GoldCircle: 6:43pm On Jan 28, 2009
fantacie:

i live  and work in Lagos but wish to relocate to a better,peaceful and less traffic area like Abuja. the stress and madness here is too much. i wake up before 5:am every morning to prepare for work just to beat the traffic and after close of work i spend 2-3 hours sumtimes on the road bf getting home for a journey dat shouldn't take more dan 20 minutes in a normal situation,so i have just few hour to rest my head to prepare for the next day.as a result of this i don't joke wit my weekends bc they r usually short, i hardly go out to catch some fun bc i would spend the whole wknd resting, what a life.

LoL! Na Okokomaiko U dey stay?Why wake up every day at 5.00am?? I mean, is your place of work that far from your abode??U could move in with me if it is really this stressful for u. I live alone & I got plenty of space! Enough to spare to a 'sister' in need!  cool cool cool
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jan 28, 2009
it is sickening and demeaning for them to think like that.lagos is a part of nigeria and not nigeria i really blame the govenors of other states for not doing anything to better and improve the infrastructures of their states.let me tell you my experience i have met people who were born and breed in lagos and dont even know any other part of nigeria apart from lagos imagine.tell somebody you are from benue state and see how dumb the person will look at you cause he or she knows no other place apart from lagos.except for the elders in lagos who have really criss crossed nigeria them young ones dont even know a damn thing about their country.note it is a matter of mindset you can leave in lagos for 8years and not know wher computer village is meanwhile someone from even sokoto can come and know and even do business in computer village within 2 /3 weeks undecided
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by ToToChoper: 7:30pm On Jan 28, 2009
Civilization is the distance man has placed between himself and his excreta.  ~Brian Aldiss

Following this train of thought when the word “civilized” is used to describe a city like Lagos (even as a true Lagos bobo myself), I humbly beg to differ.

You name it; Isolo, Mile 12, Festac, Ajegunle, Ikeja, Mushin, Ojota, Island, etc, they all share a unifying denominator;  the same noticed in the slums of Harlem or Peckamp – an indelible mark of the ghetto---some whitewashed as in Ikoyi or Victoria Island. No be Lagos?

However, Lagos also serves paramount purpose for people with bigger dreams amidst the apparent nothingness thereof. It exhumes the inseparability of olokpa (policemen) from ashewo (ladies of the night), agberos (street urchin) from “yahoo yahoo” boys (fraudsters), even politicians from thieves, so much to say that if you are in Lagos you need to shine your eyes well well. All man wan chop o. grin grin grin grin grin

Ironically, this is the very essence of civilization in a different perspective “to raise from barbarism to an enlightened stage of development” (American Heritage Dictionary, 2003) which in my contention isn’t remotely defined to any given conurbation in Nigeria. 

Thus saying, one needs not the “Lagos affiliation” to be civilized.  In far away parts of our blessed country our brothers and sisters are also struggling against the forces ---making it big time, "civilized" without the Lagos affiliation.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by SisiJinx: 7:43pm On Jan 28, 2009
Shinatu:

This topic is quite an interesting one.

I remember the 'Lagos girl'I met in my first year in Unilag, I was from Ibadan at that time.
She laughed at every Yoruba word I spoke because it was different from the
usual 'funky eko' Yoruba.

[size=18pt]It did not bother her that the main reason I was speaking Yoruba to her in the first place was becuase she could not make a single sentence in English (only),[/size]
she was comfortable with the mixed funkinized lagos Yoruba and anyone who would not speak like that was an 'ara oko.

So she just carried on with her Feerigi, Meeeliki talk, eh?

Tell me did she really hunderstand you when you spoke Henglish  or did you have Hexplain yourself Heverytime?
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by KarmaMod(f): 8:00pm On Jan 28, 2009
kokoye, Im confused, are you blaming Lagos for you sleeping with a family member and cheating on your girl that was overseas?
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by server34(m): 8:49pm On Jan 28, 2009
Lets not talk about "civilization" here cos u can get civilized in some other cities in Nigeria besides Lagos. But all u Lagos haters, wat you fail to realize is dat Lagos pushes ur target in life higher - academically, financially, career, social life, etc. Let me break it down a little. . .

Career - U work in a Bank in Enugu, ur among the 'biggest boys' in town, and ur very satisfied. When they transfer u to Lagos, in less than 1 yr, ur aiming for an Oil company or a Telecoms company. Or at least, rise higher in ur bank so u can cope with ppl around u.

Financially - U drive a 190 benz in Benin, no wahala, u dey form. U drive through Ore, Ijebu-ode, stop at OSU for one night to run things with the babes, ur such a love-vendor. U branch Abeokuta to visit Olumo rock, u feel so gr8, ur so comfortable wit ur car. Then u drive into Lagos, pass thru 3rdmainland, by the time u reach CMS, nobody go tell u to buy shades to take cover ur eyes make person no see u dey drive "common" 190 benz. Wen u reach Silverbird to watch movie, u go fear to park ur car. Thats a simple example dat will make u think higher financially, how to STEP UP a little.

Social Life - Outside Lagos (and Abuja), wen someone has a social life means he sits down in a beer parlour every evening with babes. Nothing like Movies, Shopping or Karaoke.

Career - 90% of Unilag graduates every year are planning to go for their masters abroad. Thats the idea dat the environment puts into u, and u think its d norm. Outside Lagos, 90% of the graduates are thinking about how to get a good job immediately after graduation. Thats an example of how growing up in Lagos, and attending Unilag can help push up ur career target.

Me, I be calabar boy. I love to go home for christmas to relax, and breathe fresh air. The place is so neat, easy and beautiful. Even the babes fine pass Lagos babes sef. But, whenever am there, PEOPLE DEY DULL ME. Growing up in Lagos has literally made me Smarter, and I 'wake up' pass my friends wey grow up for that zone.

. . . Eko ni baje Oh,   grin  grin  grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Do You Have An Accent? / 10 most Beautiful Benin Artifacts(pictures) / Eke Day Prayer With Kolanut(oji Igbo) For Progress

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.