Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,027 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:26 PM

Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? (10292 Views)

Our People Are So Bush And Uncultured...... Picture included / Why Do Nigerians Eat Bush Rat And Not House Rat? / Witness: Street Life In Lagos – A Film By Joe Loncraine [video] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Jarus(m): 3:40pm On Jan 31, 2009
Again, LAGOS is the largest and best known city in Africa.
. . . Is Lagos more known than Jo'burg?
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by KarmaMod(f): 3:59pm On Jan 31, 2009
Well, when you fall and rise back up you come become a stronger person if you learn from your mistakes. would you agree?

Ah. I agree of course. As long as they're seen as mistakes and not things to be proud of wink

and abeg, stop bashing Ibadan jare. ilu awon omo dada ton dagba dada tongue
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by KarmaMod(f): 4:01pm On Jan 31, 2009
why do people keep saying Lagos is the largest African city, when it's not?

Do they not teach geography in schools anymore?
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Jarus(m): 4:32pm On Jan 31, 2009
To say Lagos is Africa's largest city is to murder Geography, if not English.
Have you ever heard Nigeria described as Africa's largest country? This will be most ridiculous an assertion. And Nigeria is by far Africa's most populous country.
The same thing applies in city. Lagos is Africa's most populous city, and doesn't even rank in Top 10 Africa's largest cities.
Ibadan is West Africa's largest city and third in Africa (behind Jo'burg and Cairo).

Land mass, and not population, is used as basis for saying which city/country is largest.
Population is used for saying which city/country is most populous, which is anyway only a semantic matter.

But what makes it confusing to many people is that population is more reckoned with, because socio-economic problems are directly related to population size and barely land mass. Population density is used to incorporate the two parameters, and it is also a highly reckoned with parameter for geographical and economic analysis.
Sudan, for example is far larger than Nigeria.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by gloriah: 6:20pm On Jan 31, 2009
who says lagos is a place to be
i just got a job and got posted to lagos i seriously envy those outside lagos
the town is very crazy, thie congestion, the filty air the rude people, every thing about it is wrong
i could still stay in other developed cities and live a peaceful life.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by londoner: 7:02pm On Jan 31, 2009
Lagos may be many things, but civilised is not a word that comes to mind. Its like saying New York is the epitamy of civilisation in the states because of its eminence. Lagos to me is a city I dont think of fondly, it just doesn't suit my personality. Even in the UK, you can often tell those who either grew up or lived in Lagos.

There are good things and bad things, but for me, its mostly bad. I think the old lagos may be making way to the new improved one, once Fashola etc is done with it. Then Lagos may be something to write home about, instead of living on past glory which it has been doing of late.

You may get exposure (good and bad) from being in Lagos, but certainly not civilisation.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by fs(f): 7:38pm On Jan 31, 2009
Jarus:

To say Lagos is Africa's largest city is to murder Geography, if not English.
Have you ever heard Nigeria described as Africa's largest country? This will be most ridiculous an assertion. And Nigeria is by far Africa's most populous country.
The same thing applies in city. Lagos is Africa's most populous city, and doesn't even rank in Top 10 Africa's largest cities.
Ibadan is West Africa's largest city and third in Africa (behind Jo'burg and Cairo).

Land mass, and not population, is used as basis for saying which city/country is largest.
Population is used for saying which city/country is most populous, which is anyway only a semantic matter.

But what makes it confusing to many people is that population is more reckoned with, because socio-economic problems are directly related to population size and barely land mass. Population density is used to incorporate the two parameters, and it is also a highly reckoned with parameter for geographical and economic analysis.
Sudan, for example is far larger than Nigeria.

Lagos is NOT Africa's most populous city, it is CAIRO, Egypt. And about largest, biggest, most populous, etc, we're talking about POPULATION. I've never heard someone meausre largest by land mass. It's always been population. Why would it be land mass? Who cares if something has the greatest land mass?
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by server34(m): 8:09pm On Jan 31, 2009
Lagos is a Megacity ranked 25th in the world. Cairo is 9th, London 17th, Paris 21st. Who talk say Lagos no be city? And those of u using geography to rank a city as large should go and sleep jare. Na by size?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_city
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by kennyanju(m): 5:04pm On Feb 01, 2009
i swear to God have been to many states in nigeria an i know and please believe me if you have not just being to lagos but lived in lagos you are not just uncivilized you are a villager
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by ekoboy: 9:33pm On Feb 01, 2009
~Sauron~:

Lagos State. . . . .386 square miles.
Ibadan. . . . . . . . .1,189 square miles.

Ibadan is THRICE as big as the whole Lagos. . . .Ibadan is the largest city in the whole of West Africa.
Though, Lagos is more populous.
hmmm. Please get your facts right. Ibadan town might be bigger than lagos city in size but it is definitely not bigger than lagos state. Lagos state stretches to Badagry and Epe which you may not want to include as lagos city but they are definitely part of lagos state.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Afam4eva(m): 3:44pm On Feb 02, 2009
Largest cities are measured by population, but in the true sense of the word, it should be measured by land mass.
Lagos is the second most populous city in Africa, behind Cairo, though i find that contestible, But lagos is the most populous black city in the world.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by kokoye(m): 8:44pm On Feb 02, 2009
KarmaMod:

and abeg, stop bashing Ibadan jare. ilu awon omo dada ton dagba dada tongue

Na. that wasnt me. twas Sauron. I spent the first 24yrs of my life in that city and those years were both beautiful and pleasant.

Ibadan is just not what it used to be back then, sadly.

And from your defense of the ancient Mapo Hall city, i'm sure you grew up there as as well . . . right?

Omo Ibadan kini so
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Sapphic: 10:42pm On Feb 02, 2009
kokoye:

Omo Ibadan kini so

LMAO!
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by bintab(f): 1:06pm On Feb 04, 2009
@kokoye,omo ibadan ki ni ,so su o,ki lo je la na, eran sinki ni,[/b]ki lo fi jo ko,[b]kusin sia
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by kokoye(m): 4:28pm On Feb 04, 2009
bintab:

@kokoye,omo ibadan ki ni ,so su o,ki lo je la na, eran sinki ni,[/b]ki lo fi jo ko,[b]kusin sia

You obviously read that in a book or something.

Not naturalle tongue pay me and I'll teach you how to speak, read and write ijinle ibadan.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Nobody: 5:54am On Mar 05, 2009
I lived in Lagos and honestly when i first got to lagos I felt I was in another country. MANY PEOPLE COULDNT UNDERSTAND ENGLISH. people spoke only in yoruba and could not even understand pidgin. As a port HARCOURT BOY I felt too superior to those Lagos people and that complex was not self made. I was disappointed cos I thought I would meet a place at least a step better than Port Harcourt. , tHE INCONVENIENCES stemmed from lack of communication to very ugly environment. Now being large shouldnt be a factor to determine importance, PORT HARCOURT IS BY FAR MORE A WESTERN CITY THAN LAGOS,
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Nobody: 6:03am On Mar 05, 2009
People again confuse Lagos for a city. Is lagos not a state that has cities like ikeja, badagry, ikorodu, apapa, mushin, lagos island ? the entire thing is not one city. thats not how a city is measured. THE CITY OF LAGOS IS ISALE EKO and it is a very small city. Kano is by far the largest city in Nigeria followed by Ibadan.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Jarus(m): 9:38am On Mar 05, 2009
killayut:

People again confuse Lagos for a city. Is lagos not a state that has cities like ikeja, badagry, ikorodu, apapa, mushin, lagos island ? the entire thing is not one city. thats not how a city is measured. THE CITY OF LAGOS IS ISALE EKO and it is a very small city. Kano is by far the largest city in Nigeria followed by Ibadan.
Kano bigger than Ibadan? Are you serious?
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by WarfyBoy(m): 9:51pm On Mar 05, 2009
When i came to Lagos from Warri in 2006, the people i met here were kind of behaving strange, whenever i get to a new State, City or town,. i always behave my self, watch very well, before "i go show my talent say me i be proprer Bendel Guy"

then i do not understand Yoruba at all, when these Yoruba guy, "nw my friendz" asked me for a favor, n i helped them with whatever they want, they will take it as if i am sutpid, they will speak Yoruba and later end it with "see Maga" as time goes on, i _stood all they were saying, then i laughed in my mind "al these pipo never know say, i don tear eye from my mama belle"

Today they see me as a smart, sharp guy, they respect me alot, now them kno say i just dey pretend like say i kno no anythin b4

lol

Me i do not need the help of Lagos to be smart, I smart kom from Belle, i don tear eye 4rm smal pikin, so anytin wey dey happen na "Revision" lol

If u wan tear eye go Benin or Warri, then kom back to Lagos kom do Revision, i dey always tell my Yoruba friends say if dem wan go school, make them try go school for South Sounth, at least make dem tear eye, all there thinkin be say na Lagos life for end,lol

area, dem kno reach
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by WarfyBoy(m): 9:57pm On Mar 05, 2009
If u wan smart, abeg come register or send a mail to

No 3 Alaka Street
Off Effurun Sapele Rd
Ijakpa Junction
Alaka, Warri

over tear eye go dey worri u
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Christino(m): 12:07pm On Mar 25, 2009
Lagos Security update: http://lagosmet.com/blog/2009/03/lagos-nigeria-security-update/

Perhaps you should take note of specific areas such a Osborne road and Lekki.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by akigbemaru: 6:56am On Jul 09, 2009
It might be true! I went to Kwara for three months holiday when I was little. At this little age, I smacked three girls; just because they loved my Lagos' accent. I remember everybody both young and old folks over there used to call me "Omo Eko".
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by ekpan: 12:18pm On Aug 08, 2009
Lagos is aight, But as person wey grow up for warri nobody go tell me say lagos boy sharp pass me,

Warri is definitely no lagos and definitely no village, ANwhere we dey, waffi dey run things confirmed
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by ekpan: 12:21pm On Aug 08, 2009
Warfy Boy:

If u wan smart, abeg come register or send a mail to

No 3 Alaka Street
Off Effurun Sapele Rd
Ijakpa Junction
Alaka, Warri

over tear eye go dey worri u

Warfy boy no be lie you talk, THEM AWON BOYS their own an wetin we dey call initial gra gra. FOR WARRI no shakings we don see things so LAGOS FAST LIFE NO FIT FAZE US
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by igboboy1(m): 2:35am On Sep 20, 2009
Warfy Boy:

When i came to Lagos from Warri in 2006, the people i met here were kind of behaving strange, whenever i get to a new State, City or town,. i always behave my self, watch very well, before "i go show my talent say me i be proprer Bendel Guy"

then i do not understand Yoruba at all, when these Yoruba guy, "nw my friendz" asked me for a favor, n i helped them with whatever they want, they will take it as if i am sutpid, they will speak Yoruba and later end it with "see Maga" as time goes on, i _stood all they were saying, then i laughed in my mind "al these pipo never know say, i don tear eye from my mama belle"

Today they see me as a smart, sharp guy, they respect me alot, now them kno say i just dey pretend like say i kno no anythin b4

lol

Me i do not need the help of Lagos to be smart, I smart kom from Belle, i don tear eye 4rm smal pikin, so anytin wey dey happen na "Revision" lol

If u wan tear eye go Benin or Warri, then kom back to Lagos kom do Revision, i dey always tell my Yoruba friends say if dem wan go school, make them try go school for South Sounth, at least make dem tear eye, all there thinkin be say na Lagos life for end,lol

area, dem kno reach

hahaha guy u funny, na revision indeed,

If no be for warri i for don dull pass olodo na, Thank God say na for Area dem breed me so I know no shaking my eye don tear finish,

Ogoro must jump
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by aljharem3: 12:06pm On Jul 03, 2011
killayut:

I lived in Lagos and honestly when i first got to lagos I felt I was in another country. MANY PEOPLE COULDNT UNDERSTAND ENGLISH. people spoke only in yoruba and could not even understand pidgin. As a port HARCOURT BOY [b]I felt too superior to those Lagos people and that complex was not self made. I was disappointed cos I thought I would meet a place a[/b]t least a step better than Port Harcourt. , tHE INCONVENIENCES stemmed from lack of communication to very ugly environment. Now being large shouldnt be a factor to determine importance, PORT HARCOURT IS BY FAR MORE A WESTERN CITY THAN LAGOS,

grin grin grin grin

wha5t an ideeiot tom
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Afam4eva(m): 5:51pm On Sep 03, 2011
Not been to Lagos, not civilized? Or do you mean "Not been to Lagos, not criminalized?". If lagos and it's content were to be removed from Nigeria, this country will be a more peaceful and criminal minded place. Whener is hear people in Lagos say things like "shine your eyes", I think what they mean is "learn to be criminal minded".
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by aljharem3: 12:08am On Sep 04, 2011
afam4eva:

Not been to Lagos, not civilized? Or do you mean "Not been to Lagos, not criminalized?". If lagos and it's content were to be removed from Nigeria, this country will be a more peaceful and criminal minded place. Whener is hear people in Lagos say things like "shine your eyes", I think what they mean is "learn to be criminal minded".

then what are u doing in lagos

i believe the village is always there for u to go back to. why go to lagos if u know all this

that is the problem with nigerians,.,.,.,. they complain when there is a better solution to there problem but would still prefer to stay in that problem
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by dempeople(m): 4:52am On Sep 04, 2011
@afam, nwanne whats up?

@alj harem,

alj_harem:

then what are u doing in lagos

i believe the village is always there for u to go back to. why go to lagos if u know all this

that is the problem with nigerians,.,.,.,. they complain when there is a better solution to there problem but would still prefer to stay in that problem

Alhaji my brother boys are not laughing anymore but, thank you very much for your point. Don't mind Nigerians cos they always like to complain about the problems of boko haram and the North instead of seceding from Nigeria to form our own Southern Nigeria.   wink  cool
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by aljharem3: 2:03pm On Sep 04, 2011
Them people. Yes u are right 100% spot on. I no long live in borno for now. ie finding smileysolution to my smileyproblem

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

People Wey Sabi Write Pidgin: Make Una Show Una Skills / Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri / Do You Have An Accent?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.