Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,218 members, 7,836,058 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:07 PM

Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? (10319 Views)

Our People Are So Bush And Uncultured...... Picture included / Why Do Nigerians Eat Bush Rat And Not House Rat? / Witness: Street Life In Lagos – A Film By Joe Loncraine [video] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Sauron1: 7:51pm On Jan 29, 2009
Sisi Jinx:

How can any city be dirtier than Lagos??!!

I'm sorry but that's just IMPOSSIBLE!!!!

A visit will convince you. . . . . . .

I am sure Ibadan will be the dirtiest city in the world.
Everywhere oozes stench.
The hygeine level is sub-zero.
Jeeeeez. . . . . .Lagos to Ibadan is like comparing Singapore to Harlem. grin grin grin grin
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by SisiJinx: 7:55pm On Jan 29, 2009
~Sauron~:

A visit will convince you. . . . . . .

I am sure Ibadan will be the dirtiest city in the world.
Everywhere oozes stench.
The hygeine level is sub-zero.
Jeeeeez. . . . . .Lagos to Ibadan is like comparing Singapore to Harlem. grin grin grin grin

Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by asha80(m): 8:19pm On Jan 29, 2009
@sauron
Is ibadan dirter than aba or onitsha?
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Sauron1: 8:25pm On Jan 29, 2009
asha 80:

@sauron
Is ibadan dirter than aba or onitsha?

Ibadan is dirtier than anywhere i have been to. . . . .I have been to Aba and Onitsha and em places are crisp.
Aba/Onitsha to Ibadan is like comparing Zurich to Ajegunle.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by asha80(m): 8:40pm On Jan 29, 2009
Ibadan is dirtier than anywhere i have been to. . . . .I have been to Aba and Onitsha and em places are crisp.
Aba/Onitsha to Ibadan is like comparing Zurich to Ajegunle.

Hmm if ibadan is dirtier than these two cities then it must be really a pig sty.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Nobody: 8:41pm On Jan 29, 2009
Things happen here in Lagos, Trust me
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Sapphic: 8:42pm On Jan 29, 2009
~Sauron~:

Lagos is not a city. . . . .It is a state. Just because it's small in size people actually think it's a city but it's not.

Actually, it is both. That is what makes it kinda unique. You may profer the argument that places like Ikorodu, Epe, Badagry etc are not cities but are part of Lagos. However, most of Lagos (local government areas etc) is a city and thus the state doubles as a city.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by kokoye(m): 8:46pm On Jan 29, 2009
Sauron.

Abeg take am easy ojare. It may be very dirty but not as bad as you make it seem.

The interior hardcore Ibadan is the dirty part . . . just like isale eko and oke arin, etc.

The outskirts where tokunbo people(non-indegenes) live are not dirty.

Warn urself o. angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Sauron1: 8:50pm On Jan 29, 2009
Sapphic:

Actually, it is both. That is what makes it kinda unique. You may profer the argument that places like Ikorodu, Epe, Badagry etc are not cities but are part of Lagos. However, most of Lagos (local government areas etc) is a city and thus the state doubles as a city.

Are u sure?? Are u aware Ikeja is not Lagos city??
Cos then it's like saying Ibadan is Oyo or Akure is Ondo.
Lagos as a state is too small so travelling from place to place is like strolling.
Whereas in other states, anyone moving from Akure to Ondo within the same state is termed TRAVELLING.

Lagos city is the Lagos island and it is too small to be labelled the largest city in Nigeria as Sugabelly stated.

kokoye:

Sauron.

Abeg take am easy ojare. It may be very dirty but not as bad as you make it seem.

The interior hardcore Ibadan is the dirty part . . . just like isale eko and oke arin, etc.

The outskirts where tokunbo people(non-indegenes) live are not dirty.

Warn urself o. angry angry angry angry angry

Nor vex, sir!!!!

I know places like Bodija, Ring road etc are posh but the % of the dirty areas is staggering.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Afam4eva(m): 8:52pm On Jan 29, 2009
In the true sense of the word Ikeja is a city, but lagos is also a city.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by SisiJinx: 8:55pm On Jan 29, 2009
Ikeja is not part of Lagos??!!

And I've also heard some arguments over where Ota belongs.

Jeebus! How do you make sense of the whole thing sef!!
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Sapphic: 8:59pm On Jan 29, 2009
~Sauron~:

Are u sure?? Are u aware Ikeja is not Lagos city??
Cos then it's like saying Ibadan is Oyo or Akure is Ondo.
Lagos as a state is too small so travelling from place to place is like strolling.
Whereas in other states, anyone moving from Akure to Ondo within the same state is termed TRAVELLING.

Lagos city is the Lagos island and it is too small to be labelled the largest city in Nigeria as Sugabelly stated.

Nor vex, sir!!!!

I know places like Bodija, Ring road etc are posh but the % of the dirty areas is staggering.

I am very sure. Ikeja is PART of the city in Lagos, so is Lagos Island, Victoria-Island, Ikoyi, Lagos Mainland, Surulere, Mushin, Shomolu, etc. They are cities and all form a part of the city of Lagos.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Sauron1: 9:01pm On Jan 29, 2009
afam4eva:

In the true sense of the word Ikeja is a city, but lagos is also a city.

I agree. . . . .Ikeja is a city, Lagos is also a city but Lagos is NOT the largest city in Nigeria cos what i consider Lagos city is the Lagos Island area.

Sisi Jinx:

Ikeja is not part of Lagos??!!

Ikeja is the capital of Lagos State but it does not form parts of Lagos City.

And I've also heard some arguments over where Ota belongs.

Ota is Ogun State.

Jeebus! How do you make sense of the whole thing sef!!

Watch this space. grin
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by kokoye(m): 9:04pm On Jan 29, 2009
There is Lagos state.

There is also a city with Lagos State called Lagos Island (Eko).

But Lagos state is regarded as a big city because there's no unused land all thru the entire state. So you really would not feel like your travelling even though ur going from Ikoyi to Agege.

People driving from Ibadan to Ife in Oyo state know theyre travelling because they see a vast area of unused land.

Hope that clears the air a li'l bit.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Sapphic: 9:10pm On Jan 29, 2009
~Sauron~:

I agree. . . . .Ikeja is a city, Lagos is also a city but Lagos is NOT the largest city in Nigeria cos[b] what i consider Lagos city is the Lagos Island area.[/b]

Unfortunately, what you personally consider Lagos to be, does not transform the reality of what it actually is. So what of Victoria Island, Ikoyi, Surulere etc? You do not consider those places cities too?
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Sauron1: 9:16pm On Jan 29, 2009
Sapphic:

Unfortunately, what you personally consider Lagos to be, does not transform the reality of what it actually is. So what of Victoria Island, Ikoyi, Surulere etc? You do not consider those places cities too?

Surulere is a town. . . . .Victoria Island is a city but Lagos City = Lagos Island(Marina area)
That is the historical and the commercial nerve centre. The broad street, Tinubu square, Tafawa Balewa square etc is Lagos City.
VI, Ikoyi and em other places are not Lagos City.

kokoye:

There is Lagos state.

There is also a city with Lagos State called Lagos Island (Eko).

But Lagos state is regarded as a big city because there's no unused land all thru the entire state. So you really would not feel like your travelling even though ur going from Ikoyi to Agege.

U nailed it on the head, bro!!!
The small size of the state is primarily responsible for this.

People driving from Ibadan to Ife in Oyo state know theyre travelling because they see a vast area of unused land.

Ife is in Oyo State?? shocked shocked shocked shocked
When was the last time u went to Naija?? grin grin grin grin grin grin

Hope that clears the air a li'l bit.

Si.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by oge4real(f): 9:35pm On Jan 29, 2009
though I was born in Lagos I still do not see anything so important about it.the truth is,Lag has just been overated and is just like every other Naija city-dirty and noisy.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by kokoye(m): 10:13pm On Jan 29, 2009
~Sauron~:

Ife is in Oyo State?? shocked shocked shocked shocked
When was the last time u went to Naija?? grin grin grin grin grin grin

Oh Damn!!!

My sincere mistake. Ife is now in Osun state cheesy

Is 5yrs a long time?

Na england I dey go most of the time now. london na naija to me o - minus NEPA and financial leeches
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Sapphic: 12:06am On Jan 30, 2009
~Sauron~:

Surulere is a town. . . . .Victoria Island is a city but Lagos City = Lagos Island(Marina area)
That is the historical and the commercial nerve centre. The broad street, Tinubu square, Tafawa Balewa square etc is Lagos City.
VI, Ikoyi and em other places are not Lagos City.

I do not know what you have decided to label with the appellation "Lagos City". Lagos Island is exactly what it is i.e. "Lagos Island" or "Isale Eko". It is distinct from for example Victoria Island. What I challenged was your saying that Lagos is a state and not a city. I have argued that it is both. Now, i have not been to Nigeria in several years, so I do not know if the term "Lagos city" is now used interchangeably with "Lagos Island", this however does not remove the fact that vast parts of the state is a city. Lagos State is predominantly like London. In as much as there are no states here, London is the equivalent of a state, with the local boroughs being the equivalent of local government areas. Nobody will argue that due to the history and commercial clout of "The City of London" (or to spread it further, the whole of Central London), that that part of London is the only city, while places like Chelsea, Tottenham, Camden etc are not. The fact that there is a "City of London" has not and does not remove the fact that in general London is in fact a city (despite having suburbs like Richmond etc).
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by KarmaMod(f): 5:49am On Jan 30, 2009
I listed like a million things I started doing in Lagos (most of which I obviously got over). How come you chose to only negatively dwell on those two?

Perhaps cos those 2 are the things that bother me the most. Doesnt help that you consider such as "making you stronger" undecided

sisi you dey mind these people.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by honeric01(m): 12:02pm On Jan 30, 2009
1 ABIA Umuahia God's own State
2 ADAMAWA Yola ---
3 AKWA IBOM Uyo Land of promise
4 ANAMBRA Awka Home for all
5 BAUCHI Bauchi ---
6 BAYELSA Yenegoa The Glory of All Lands
7 BENUE Makurdi Food basket of the Nation
8 BORNO Maiduguri Home of peace
9 CROSS RIVER Calabar The people's paradise
10 DELTA Asaba The Big Heart
11 EBONYI Abakaliki The salt of the Nation
12 EDO Benin City The Heart Beat
13 EKITI Ado-Ekiti Fountain of Knowledge
14 ENUGU Enugu Coal City State
15 GOMBE Gombe ---
16 IMO Owerri Land of Hope
17 JIGAWA Dutse The New World
18 KADUNA Kaduna Liberal State
19 KANO Kano Centre of Commerce
20 KATSINA Katsina State of Hospitality
21 KEBBI Birni Kebbi ---
22 KOGI Lokoja The Confluence State
23 KWARA Ilorin ---
24 LAGOS Ikeja Centre of Excellence
25 NASARAWA Lafia The home of Solid Minerals
26 NIGER Minna The power State
27 OGUN Abeokuta The Gateway State
28 ONDO Akure The sunshine State
29 OSUN Oshogbo State of living spring
30 OYO Ibadan The pace setter State
31 PLATEAU Jos Home of peace and tourism
32 RIVERS Port Harcourt Treasure base of the Nation
33 SOKOTO Sokoto Seat of the Caliphate
34 TARABA Jalingo Nature's gift to the Nation
35 YOBE Damaturu The young shall grow
36 ZAMFARA Guasau ---
37 FCT Abuja Centre of Unity.

Lagos is a STATE, Ikeja is the capital and a city, Surulere and co falls under a city, Itire, Aguda e.t.c is a Town under Surulere, Baruwa, Abesan is a village under Ipaja which is a Town under Alimosho which is a developing city which has Egbeda, Akowonjo, Idimu, Ikotun, Isheri as a town under her. Aboru is a Village Under Iyana Ipaja which is a Town Under Alimosho Which is a city. (Though not yet Developed to the level of surulere VI and Co).

Bottomline: Lagos is a State
Lagos Island is a city, so please don't mix up Lagos island as a city to Lagos state. smiley cheesy
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by kritikul(f): 1:56pm On Jan 30, 2009
who said i ve not been to Lagos recently? Even early this morning on my way to work i saw a guy defeacating into the gutter. I felt like kicking him into it. I wonder if the ministry of the environment doesn't see things like this.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by kokoye(m): 2:20pm On Jan 30, 2009
KarmaMod:

Perhaps cos those 2 are the things that bother me the most. Doesnt help that you consider such as "making you stronger"

Well, when you fall and rise back up you come become a stronger person if you learn from your mistakes. would you agree?

I listed some of the things I went through as I grew that might not have been possible if I'd not left the nest in Ibadan - vices included.

I aint proud of some of the things I did back then, got punished emotionally for some of them but I became a better person for it. But at times we need to go through some of these things in life so we can learn from our mistakes if hopefully we make it alive. I know a few married men who are now doing some of the things they ought to have done when they were single.

I probably was thinking out aloud (soliloq o sa pa mi lori cheesy) when I made that long list.

Anyways, while in Lagos, I thought I could never settle down with a girl that was brought up in Lagos cos they all looked cheap to me compared to the daddy's girls in Ibadan - Lagos girls were always available cos theyre parents were always at work or stuck in traffic while you could only talk to Ibadan girls on the phone cos theyre parents were always at home.

Guess what, I am happily married to a girl that was born n bread in that crazy city.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by D1KeleVra(m): 7:12pm On Jan 30, 2009
not being to Lagos, not civilized. . . ummm. . . YES! grin what u searching for in the village? tongue
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by honeric01(m): 7:47pm On Jan 30, 2009
Lagos rocks!!!!, where else in Nigeria rocks better than Lagos?
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by fs(f): 8:35pm On Jan 30, 2009
Sapphic:

I do not know what you have decided to label with the appellation "Lagos City". Lagos Island is exactly what it is i.e. "Lagos Island" or "Isale Eko". It is distinct from for example Victoria Island. What I challenged was your saying that Lagos is a state and not a city. I have argued that it is both. Now, i have not been to Nigeria in several years, so I do not know if the term "Lagos city" is now used interchangeably with "Lagos Island", this however does not remove the fact that vast parts of the state is a city. Lagos State is predominantly like London. In as much as there are no states here, London is the equivalent of a state, with the local boroughs being the equivalent of local government areas. Nobody will argue that due to the history and commercial clout of "The City of London" (or to spread it further, the whole of Central London), that that part of London is the only city, while places like Chelsea, Tottenham, Camden etc are not. The fact that there is a "City of London" has not and does not remove the fact that in general London is in fact a city (despite having suburbs like Richmond etc).

I agree with Sapphic. Yes, Lagos is a state, nobody was arguing that, but it's also basically a city. It's basically a huge metropolitan area (for those that live in the US). Yes, there are towns ofcourse, but in general the vast majority of the state is pretty much a city. Surulere cannot be a town, is it? I grew up there and it did NOT feel like a town.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by honeric01(m): 8:42pm On Jan 30, 2009
fs:

I agree with Sapphic. Yes, Lagos is a state, nobody was arguing that, but it's also basically a city. It's basically a huge metropolitan area (for those that live in the US). Yes, there are towns ofcourse, but in general the vast majority of the state is pretty much a city. Surulere cannot be a town, is it? I grew up there and it did NOT feel like a town.

Surulere is never a town as some said, it's a city,

Lagos still remain a state, no matter how "small" most people see it, it even has the highest number of people in Nigeria and it doubles the size of some countries around the world both in size and in population.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by D1KeleVra(m): 8:52pm On Jan 30, 2009
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jan 30, 2009
I never said Lagos City was Nigeria's Largest city.

I said LAGOS meaning ALL OF IT.

AND yes, MOST of Lagos is now city. It doesn't have to be shining and clean to be a city. It just is.

Again, LAGOS is the largest and best known city in Africa.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Sauron1: 10:55pm On Jan 30, 2009
sugabelly:

I never said Lagos City was Nigeria's Largest city.

I said LAGOS meaning ALL OF IT.

AND yes, MOST of Lagos is now city. It doesn't have to be shining and clean to be a city. It just is.

Again, LAGOS is the largest and best known city in Africa.

Lagos State. . . . .386 square miles.
Ibadan. . . . . . . . .1,189 square miles.

Ibadan is THRICE as big as the whole Lagos. . . .Ibadan is the largest city in the whole of West Africa.
Though, Lagos is more populous.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by ezeagu(m): 1:43am On Jan 31, 2009
@ OP some would say its the opposite, smiley.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by fs(f): 1:47am On Jan 31, 2009
~Sauron~:

Lagos State. . . . .386 square miles.
Ibadan. . . . . . . . .1,189 square miles.

Ibadan is THRICE as big as the whole Lagos. . . .Ibadan is the largest city in the whole of West Africa.
Though, Lagos is more populous.

Ummm, I don't think anyone is talking about the SIZE of the city but about the POPULATION. When someone says a city is the largest they are specifically referring to population and not size. Who cares if some place is huge in size, what does that have to do with anything?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Do You Have An Accent? / List Of Tribes In Rivers State Nigeria / Argument: Are African Americans Their Own Ethnic Group? I Say Yes.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.