Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,346 members, 7,811,997 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:45 AM

Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy (16259 Views)

You Are Insane, Nigerians Voted Jonathan Out - Presidency Blasts Reno Omokiri / Boko Haram And Jonathan: The Truth Unfolds - Thisday / NIGERIANS VOTED JONATHAN BECAUSE OF THE NAME "GOODLUCK" - PASTOR SAM ADEYEMI (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by oakson: 10:20pm On Mar 31, 2015
sinizia:

Let's call a spade a spae! You needed to hear the comments coming from most of your kinsmen (that I crossed paths with) on their reasons for supporting Buhari (a particular Yoruba lady said she knows Tinubu is more corrupt than GEJ but since PDP has no Yoruba as a VP, she'll go for APC because of Osibanjo).

Just like saying APC is corrupt but if a Yoruba rep is there, I can overlook it.
grin
You are very funny
Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by Nobody: 10:21pm On Mar 31, 2015
Nwanne abeg, Jonathan is Ijaw not Igbo don't use your posts to deceive those who don't know the difference between Igbo and Ijaw. We still need to produce an Igbo president. Zik was the last we had.
Let the Niger delta mourn their loss, we did our best for them than they did. Afterall they always deny us and torment us with the memories of the Biafran war but bear Igbo names. When they commit a crime,they are Igbos but when they do well,they will curse you if you dare call them Igbos. Buhari don win.....
#peace#

ikenga67:

My brother lets call a spade a spade here...we really dropped the ball on this one. No matter how anyone wants to parse it, history will surely record this as one of the lowest of lows for the Igbo nation. That a proud, very discerning and fiercly independent-minded people, through skillful manipulation by a handle of their so called leaders ( who in turn are nothing but a shameless clache of bean-counting Abuja/Lagos contractors), allowed unfounded primal fear and grade-school propaganda to turn the entire Igbo nation into the pathetic enclave of an accidental, clueless and weak president, from a people who still largely see their ethnic identity through a mixture of jealousy and hatred of the swash-buckling Igbo, is tragic and calls for deep soul searching.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by infofta(m): 10:22pm On Mar 31, 2015
The Igbos sees it as Hausas vs Igbos. They are still living in the past. Biafra war is over. Forget the past and move on.
The war was between Biafra and Nigeria. As you all know our military is mainly comprised of the Hausas.
Nigeria will not divide any time soon. Wake up. I don't see Biafra republic becoming a reality any time soon.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by Nobody: 10:24pm On Mar 31, 2015
Afam4eva didn't I tell you that zombies will comment without reading? Expect more foolish comments.

Rhino5dm:
Don't cry me a river, cry me a lagoon.

8 Likes

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by MzJackBaueress(f): 10:27pm On Mar 31, 2015
Rhino5dm:
Don't cry me a river, cry me a lagoon.
hey! cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by shortgun(m): 10:27pm On Mar 31, 2015
ikenga67:

My brother lets call a spade a spade here...we really dropped the ball on this one. No matter how anyone wants to parse it, history will surely record this as one of the lowest of lows for the Igbo nation. That a proud, very discerning and fiercly independent-minded people, through skillful manipulation by a handle of their so called leaders ( who in turn are nothing but a shameless clache of bean-counting Abuja/Lagos contractors), allowed unfounded primal fear and grade-school propaganda to turn the entire Igbo nation into the pathetic enclave of an accidental, clueless and weak president, from a people who still largely see their ethnic identity through a mixture of jealousy and hatred of the swash-buckling Igbo, is tragic and calls for deep soul searching.
This Election was decided on tribal and religious grounds; that's the point Afam is trying to make. I am very happy that aside for some rascals with some personal agenda, lgbos voted in one accord. Let no one label the Igbos as been tribal cos GEJ is not even an Igboman but same cannot be said of the Northerners who voted Buhari cos he is a Northerner.

I have lived in the North for more than 10yrs and from experience I can tell you that Northerners are very tribal : that includes d Christians and Muslims in the North.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by focus7: 10:27pm On Mar 31, 2015
You just revealed your level of ignorance. Leave poltics aside, igbos are the most tribal sentimental in Nigeria and it will keep them farther backward if they don't come out of it. Beside the election has really help to expose the political value of the igbo nation in Nigeria political scheme. It is amazing that the whole electoral records from the whole of igbo land is not up to electoral records from three states from the South South, igbos has no electoral value any nation political candidate should rely on, that was one of the mistake Jonathan made.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by chacoonder(m): 10:28pm On Mar 31, 2015
MrPresident1:
God bless GEJ, President of Nigeria.
Mumuski..You better wake up from your slumber.It's a new dawn in Nigeria...Sai Mai Gaskiya

2 Likes

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by superstar1(m): 10:29pm On Mar 31, 2015
Igbos have always aligned with the north from time immemorial -- Zik and Balewa, Shagari and Ekwueme.

We had Abiola/Kingibe, OBJ/Atiku.
This is the first time we are having a reversal with northerners.

An ethnic group have the right to have a bloc vote for whatever party they have affiliations to, but it is more advisable to have a semblance of viable and credible opposition, for the masses to reap good governance.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by MrPresident1: 10:31pm On Mar 31, 2015
chacoonder:
Mumuski..You better wake up from your slumber.It's a new dawn in Nigeria...Sai Mai Gaskiya

You sef Odeski you better wake up from your delirious hallucinations. The new dawn of a saint that is surrounded by thieves.

4 Likes

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by sinizia: 10:32pm On Mar 31, 2015
oakson:
grin
You are very funny

Just trying to show you that tribalism cuts deep across all citizens of Nigeria. Tribe and religion affect most of the choices we make in this country and it's too bad. Until we put an end to tribalism and religion affiliation as a benchmark for making decisions, corruption and other vices bedeviling this country will never stop or reduce.

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by Rhino5dm: 10:33pm On Mar 31, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
hey! cheesy cheesy

Sup, Berem? cool

SAI BABA!!

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by MzJackBaueress(f): 10:35pm On Mar 31, 2015
Rhino5dm:

Sup, Berem? cool

SAI BABA!!
I can't believe this. Rhinoceros?!!! How are you doing?

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by Rhino5dm: 10:35pm On Mar 31, 2015
peppyluv02:
Afam4eva didn't I tell you that zombies will comment without reading? Expect more foolish comments.

Just shut da f**k up!

6 Likes

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by Mowire: 10:36pm On Mar 31, 2015
@Afam, it is you, the igbos, that have portrayed support for Jonathan as a tribal obligation. What with the kind of comment of you on the result announcement thread cursing all the Imo citizens who voted for Buhari and calling them names.

7 Likes

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by Rhino5dm: 10:37pm On Mar 31, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
I can't believe this. Rhinoceros?!!! How are you doing?

Yeah, I am that I am.

Sai Baba!!! cool

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by MzJackBaueress(f): 10:40pm On Mar 31, 2015
Rhino5dm:

Yeah, I am that I am.

Sai Baba!!! cool
good to see your moniker again.

Sai Buhari! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by rocgirl: 10:42pm On Mar 31, 2015
Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by Rhino5dm: 10:43pm On Mar 31, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
good to see your moniker again.

Sai Buhari! cheesy

Yeah, been here in spirit all along. cool

Change is here!

2 Likes

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by tripod(m): 10:44pm On Mar 31, 2015
shortgun:
My brother one of the reasons why GEJ conceded defeat is to prevent people from been killed (especially Igbos) in the North and other parts of the Country.

It's very glaring that this Election was massively rigged in favor of APC in the states where they controlled.

An average Northerner is tribal ; but they will be quick accuse other tribes of tribalism.

Everbody rigged massively according to available space. For example, even if rivers pple have rejected amaechi, which is not the case right now, apc cannot ganner just 68k votes compared to pdp 1.4m. I hear we now have igbo members of parliament in lagos. This is quite commendable, i hope we achieve same feat in the east and north soon.
Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by MzJackBaueress(f): 10:45pm On Mar 31, 2015
Rhino5dm:

Yeah, been here in spirit all along. cool

Change is here!
let's continue the chat on the other thread for the progressives. Seems we are derailing this thread. wink

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by 0ldirtybastard(m): 10:47pm On Mar 31, 2015
peppyluv02:
Nwanne abeg, Jonathan is Ijaw not Igbo don't use your posts to deceive those who don't know the difference between Igbo and Ijaw. We still need to produce an Igbo president. Zik was the last we had.
Let the Niger delta mourn their loss, we did our best for them than they did. Afterall they always deny us and torment us with the memories of the Biafran war but bear Igbo names. When they commit a crime,they are Igbos but when they do well,they will curse you if you dare call them Igbos. Buhari don win.....
#peace#

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by 0ldirtybastard(m): 10:47pm On Mar 31, 2015
peppyluv02:
#peace#

Buhahahahaha! So on point like acupuncture. Abeg, sip small moet, peppy.

3 Likes

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by ikenga67: 10:51pm On Mar 31, 2015
peppyluv02:
#peace#

Nnem, did you think I was referring to the Igbos when I wrote about " a people who still largelry see their ethnic identity through a mixture of jealousy and hatred of the swash-buckling Igbo"? Of course I was referring to the Ijaw. Historically, they have always been truculently oppsed to the Igbo and have alawys found cause to allign themselves with others in opposition to us. GEJ even tried a little of that in his pathetic last minute letter to the Northern people.
The point I am making is that we need to examine how we allowed our so-called leaders to get us believing, without reflection, that the interest of GEJ and the Ijaw are perfectly alligned to that of the Igbo to the extent that we became the intractable face of opposition to perceived Northern designs for something that is not much than the desire of an incompetent Ijaw man to be president of Nigeria for as long as he could and after then happily hand over the same Nigerian state without any structural changes to the Northern Moslems he and his co-travellers have so skillful manipulated us into hating and being hated by.

9 Likes

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by Nobody: 10:53pm On Mar 31, 2015
oakson:
As far as am concerned Yorubas remain the most detribalised tribe in Nigeria, as we were torn into two by the two parties. Going by the avalanche of votes that was ceded to Jonathan in the east, I can convincingly assert that igbos are far from being a nationalist! Its so glaring... Let's call a spade a spade! You need to hear the comments coming from most of your kinsmen (that we crossed paths) on their reasons for supporting GEJ(a particular igbo lady lost 600thousand naira due to the fall of the naira yet she sees nothing wrong in GEJ's govt).
Just like saying he is ours let him ruin it if he likes

If you tell yourself the truth, you will understand why.
Let me educate you.

SW votes was shared because both APC and PDP have strong base in the SW just as it was shared in the North.

Looking at political parties' development in Nigeria, it's only in the SS/SE that no second party took hold. It's PDP since day one. In the SE, a second party is struggling to create a base and that is APGA but they are not national yet.

Until APC takes hold in the SS/SE, they are not going to get 10% votes unless PDP presents satan himself as their candidate.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by Nobody: 10:54pm On Mar 31, 2015
peppyluv02:
#peace#
General Aguiyi Ironsi - maybe Military head of state sha.
Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by docsholz(m): 10:59pm On Mar 31, 2015
Nigerians are majorly tribalistic people, my problem is with the hypocrites quick to call others tribalist for doing the same thing they're doing,

2 Likes

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by Chinemeokpann: 11:01pm On Mar 31, 2015
francizy:
[s]Afam4eva may God bless you for this.

I chose not to insult or argue with people based on this issue.

GEJ an Ijaw man and Sambo a Hausa/Fulani, which of them is related to the Igbos?

But we're tagged biased. All the same, I'm proud that we Igbos made a statement in this election and cannot be underestimated, albeit not being serious enough. It showed greatly in real life, on here and other social networks.

Now imaging if our people had been as serious as the Hausa/Fulani in voting, don't you think this would have been a kind of tie or something?

A good example of how our presence is felt is Lagos state. Someday, we will be able to produce a deputy and afterwards, a governor in Lagos state.

We Igbos respect people in our homeland and also respect our hosts (though same can be said of the Yorubas). If you think it's a lie, then compare Lagos state to Jos/Plateau State and tell me if same visitors in Plateau were the ones in large numbers here in Lagos if there wouldn't have been tribal/religious crises all over Lagos.

I don't normally go tribal but there are some issues that needs to be addressed.[/s]

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by 0ldirtybastard(m): 11:01pm On Mar 31, 2015
peppyluv02:

Meanwhile,I need an 'ogbunigwe' and the identity of this bastard. Let me murder him before he murders any Igbo man.

Buhahahaha! Chai! Postu gi na enye'm joy. Makachi!

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by ikenga67: 11:05pm On Mar 31, 2015
shortgun:

This Election was decided on tribal and religious grounds; that's the point Afam is trying to make. I am very happy that aside for some rascals with some personal agenda, lgbos voted in one accord. Let no one label the Igbos as been tribal cos GEJ is not even an Igboman but same cannot be said of the Northerners who voted Buhari cos he is a Northerner.

I have lived in the North for more than 10yrs and from experience I can tell you that Northerners are very tribal : that includes d Christians and Muslims in the North.

But at least the Northerners were voting for one of their own? When did the Ijaw become one with us? Have they even be good neighbours?
In 2011 the Yoruba voted for GEJ (or allowed him to claim their vote), but in 2015 they decided that he no longer represented their interest and switched to the opposition. The Tiv of Benue state did the same thing too. So how did the Igbo got so hooked on GEJ that they gave him embarrasing %? Of course it has not been for anything he did for us because he has not? It could not be for anything he promised us because he just totally lacks what it takes to deliver on any meaninful promise.
We went embarrasingly deep for GEJ because our so-called leaders (the Peter Obis, the Iwuanyanwus, etc) were very succesful in basically selling us a dud. It was never out of any principal or any high-minded ideology that we became GEJ's tools. It was because we had been propagandized into believing all manner of fanciful things.
I am as Igbo as it comes, but one thing that never seems to marvel me is how such an individualist people can be so susceptible to propaganda and primal fears. I just can never understand it

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by spokezman(m): 11:06pm On Mar 31, 2015
am highly disappointed in igbos

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by splashbaby(m): 11:07pm On Mar 31, 2015
Afam4eva:
Once again i congratulate Buhari for emerging Nigeria's new president and also Jonathan for conceding. Both are African records.

Now, i've been seeing comments about Igbos flying all around from nairaland to social media sites and it's really pitiful that Nigerians can descend to such levels of hypocrisy. I for one have wondered why Igbos believe so much in Jonathan. it actually beats me. But i realized that's the beauty of democracy. You never just understand why people support the other candidate and you probably will never understand. They also don't understand why you're supporting your own candidate. it's a two way street. My major grouse is the fact that people are tainting the support of majority of Igbos for Jonathan as a tribal thing and i'm like WTF. How can it be tribal even when the person they're supporting is not even Igbo. It's hypocritical that Buhari swept the North just like he did in 2011 and nobody is accusing them of tribalism considering that Buhari is hausa/Fulani but you're accusing a tribe that supports someone who's not their tribesman for tribalism. You can accuse these people for anything but never tribalism. They reserve the unapologetic right to support who they deem fit and it's not anyone's business.

Congrats Buhari
You are wrong....Igbos supported GEJ because they wanted weak Nigeria because of their Biafra dream,...beside they don't like Yorubas and Hausas...

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Obasanjo Unveils Zero Hunger Initiative / Nigerian Army To Establish Zoos & Parks Nationwide / Okonjo-iweala Remains Nigeria’s Candidate For WTO Headship, FG Insists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.